Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Both canons have made it clear that the New Jedi Order is all about abandoning the old ways because the Jedi were incredibly flawed. They lost the war and were wiped out precisely because their methods and traditions were outdated and contributed directly to Anakin becoming Darth Vader, all while being so sure of themselves that they were blinded to the possibility of the Sith being right under their noses until they came out swinging lightsabers.

In the original canon, Luke starts a new Jedi praxeum and recruits mature adults and older kids alike without trying to interfere in their personal lives. In the new one, Luke’s teachings to Rey are all about how the Jedi deserved to die out and she needs to give up on them, but it takes another visit from Yoda to realize that it doesn’t mean the order can’t be rebuilt by a new generation who won’t make the same mistakes (or his own).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Vintersorg posted:

Jim Cummings gave Runas the Shamed in WoW similar inflections . It's a little weird hearing Hondo now, haha.

Or Minsc. Or Don Carnage!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

I really loved the Phantom Menace as child but a couple years ago someone pointed out to me "If Qui-Gon had just maybe, you know, not left Anakin's mom enslaved on a desert planet to an evil pitlord..." and now I just watch a super-cut of the Darth Maul scenes whenever I get nostalgic for it. Qui-Gon and Obi wan could have whisked her away to Coruscant or, literally, anywhere in the galaxy... but they just left her on a hot rock to die even though it was completely within their power to do so.

skasion posted:

gently caress yeah it's intentional. The unwitting cruelty shown to Anakin by the Jedi is the root of the trilogy. Anakin got unethically adopted away from his home, figured he was getting a father figure to replace his mom, then his father figure immediately died and got replaced with a bossy, immature big brother. No wonder he got hosed up.

It wasn't completely in Qui-gon's power to do better at the time. Qui-gon couldn't have just whisked Shmi away since she's got a bomb in her. They would have needed to buy her freedom which they couldn't do on account of being broke. Remember he already had to cheat to get to keep Anakin. Maybe he did intend to go back and save Shmi at some point but just died first...but I doubt it, he seems pretty committed to the whole Jedi life of no attachment even if he has unusual religious opinions. And the Jedi as a whole don't think it is worthwhile to go to the trouble of freeing slaves.

chitoryu12 posted:

For all people hate on the prequels, they're a lot more memorable than the new trilogy.

When I was a kid I still got mad at the Jedi for leaving the mom. My recent chronological rewatch of Star Wars saga I picked up far more and I got to say.... there are some dark loving bits in the prequels. Don't get me wrong, the prequels are still sloppy as gently caress with ludicrous dialogue and needing a showrunner that can say no to George Lucas and overwrite him but there are some nuggets of good. The new movies are even more sloppy and amateurish but mostly fail to be memorable. I didn't like the Last Jedi but I did like the concept of "anyone can be force sensitive and the Jedi were full of shite" but then they undid that the next movie. The prequels had the Jedi being controlling space cops and getting destroyed by their own hubris and removal from the proper society they were supposed to protect. Peacekeepers became controlling bureaucrats. Say what you will about Filoni but his Clone Wars series made me a fan of the Star Wars universe and not just someone who liked a couple of games. That ending episodes, aside from the amazing soundtrack, was a gut punch but a seriously good ending. Still the live action movies shouldn't have Anakin go right from reluctantly killing Jedi Nick Fury to chopping down a room full of kids.

Funny side note: So I work with a guy who watched the original 70's/80's movies as a kid. Growing up seeing the prequels first I always hated how short the lightsaber fight with Obi Won was versus Vader. I saw Obi Won go from a young padawan into the old mentor, like Qui-Gon. That vid I linked earlier with the extended fight scene? He thought it was too much. Just a funny thought about perspective.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

chitoryu12 posted:

In the new one, Luke’s teachings to Rey are all about how the Jedi deserved to die out and she needs to give up on them, but it takes another visit from Yoda to realize that it doesn’t mean the order can’t be rebuilt by a new generation who won’t make the same mistakes (or his own).
See, I didn't get that from TLJ and RoS at all. Luke refused to teach her, wanted to burn the Jedi texts, and Yoda sent them away with Rey and hid the fact from Luke. And if the Order could be fixed, Yoda had, what, hundreds of years as a Master and a main part of the Order to do so?

I think it would have been awesome if Luke had explicitly taught that lesson.

Luke: These are the Sacred Texts of the Jedi. Thousands of years of knowledge, wisdom, and teachings.
Rey: Wow.
Luke: *torch*
Rey: WTF?
Luke: These teachings led directly to a young boy being taken from his mother, indoctrinated to deny his own humanity and essential being, and punished him for trying to do the right thing. These teachings led directly to my father becoming Darth Vader. These teachings led directly to the Empire plunging the galaxy into chaos and horror. And when I tried to bring these teachings back, they led directly to Kylo Ren, and here we are, right back where we started before I was born.
Rey: Dude.
Luke: These teachings didn't work. Let the past die. Create your own future. Do better than we ever did.
Rey: Will you help me?
Luke: No. All I have to offer you is the past. All I want to do now is try to make up for my mistakes, not make new ones. One thing I did learn is that 'destiny' isn't preordained; it's forged. Created. Your destiny is what you make of it. What was Anakin's 'destiny?' To be the chosen one? To bring 'balance' to the Force? To become Darth Vader? To bring me to the Emperor? To protect me from the Emperor? Those were all choices, some made for him when he was a child, and some he made himself. Forge your own destiny, Rey. Don't look to the past for guidance in what to do, or what to be. Look to the past for guidance in what not to do, and in what you don't want to be.
Rey: Woah.

Later:

Ghost Yoda: Well, you did.
Luke: Part of me still wants to hop into that X-Wing and go save my friends.
Ghost Yoda: Ignore your own words you do! Feel like go you should? Feel like your friends you should help? Then do! What you think is right, you must do. Saved your friends on Bespin, you did. Cost you a hand, it did. Change that decision, would you?
Luke: Knowing what I knew then? No. It was the right thing to do.
Ghost Yoda: And suffer now on Crait your friends do. Leave them, will you? Threatens them, your apprentice does. Stay here, can you?
Luke: No. I can't fight their war. But I can face my apprentice.
Ghost Yoda: Your X-Wing, you will need.
Luke: Yes. (Force-lifts the X-Wing)
Ghost Yoda: Learned well, you have.
Luke: I had a good teacher.
Ghost Yoda: So does the girl. Go now. Your destiny make. See you soon, I will.
Luke: Thank you, Master Yoda. For everything.
Ghost Yoda: May the Force be with you.

Luke then flies out to Crait, faces Ren in person, demonstrates that he has the ability to single-handedly destroy the entire attacking force of AT-ATs and what not, but chooses not to in an attempt to show Ben that 'power' isn't in what you can break, but in what you choose not to break, and what you choose to try to fix. He then holds off Ren in a duel, defending only, while his friends bugger out the back way, with Rey clearing the way of rocks or whatever. Once he sees, in the Force, his friends boarding the Falcon, he smiles, closes his eyes, closes down his saber, and goes out old Ben Kenobi.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can the next episode air yet? We're at the "im posting my fanfic" stage.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Its Rinaldo posted:

Or Minsc. Or Don Carnage!

Or Scar for a verse of Be Prepared because Jeremy Irons' voice gave out

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vinylshadow posted:

Or Scar for a verse of Be Prepared because Jeremy Irons' voice gave out

Specifically right after Irons blew his voice out shouting "you won't get a sniff without me!" at the top of his lungs. To Cummings' credit he does a really good impression.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 4, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Specifically right after Irons blew his voice out shouting "you won't get a sniff without me!" at the top of his lungs. To Cummings' credit he dies a really good impression.

I've reached the point where I can sorta recognize certain character voices and there's enough Cummings there for me to go "That's not Scar" - as a kid, I never noticed though

There's a specific twang to Cummings' performance where he's almost edging into the Tigger voice

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, I re watched a bunch of season 1 and it really holds up. I love the scenes where Mando is fighting but clearly has accepted a most probable death. The amount of body language acting is fantastic.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can the next episode air yet? We're at the "im posting my fanfic" stage.

This reminds me of a topic in the game of thrones thread. So, on Tatooine, you hear about Moisture farms. Are these underground farms where fungus and whatnot are grown or are these more like greenhouses? How many farms are like this so they can feed the population? The banthas have flat teeth like cattle so are there plants growing underneath or in small bits of oasis? This thread needs Agri-Chat.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

DogsInSpace! posted:

This reminds me of a topic in the game of thrones thread. So, on Tatooine, you hear about Moisture farms. Are these underground farms where fungus and whatnot are grown or are these more like greenhouses? How many farms are like this so they can feed the population? The banthas have flat teeth like cattle so are there plants growing underneath or in small bits of oasis? This thread needs Agri-Chat.

And this reminds me of this old video claiming that Fallout: New Vegas was much more interesting than Fallout 3 because of the way it fleshed out the world. It even has a bit of agri-chat as the game tacitly addresses the question of "what do they eat?" It's a bit long at almost 16 minutes, but if you have Opinions on the Fallout series then it's a pretty interesting watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqrV0tyOVKU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DogsInSpace! posted:

I always thought it was just gathering water, presumably from the air.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Davros1 posted:

I always thought it was just gathering water, presumably from the air.

Yeah I think it’s this. They have moisture vaporators (“worlds biggest bong, call 555-LUKE”) and they sell the water to buy blue milk, slave robots, and other necessities of life. Remember, Tatooine is pretty much Lucas’ read on Dune.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's literally farming moisture. Tatooine has virtually no surface water (1% in both canons), so they use the vaporators to condense it from the atmosphere to gather. It can then be sold or used by the farmers, including for hydroponics.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, Wookieepedia has gotten a high-res image of the new Boba face.

His weapons are also a Tusken gaffi stick and scoped rifle, but the robe looks like a generic one.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Star Wars needs more kaiju fights.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Shneak posted:

Star Wars needs more kaiju fights.

If you haven't already, you might wanna check out the Zillo Beast arc in The Clone Wars.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Apparently the season 2 premiere saw a 25% drop in viewership from the season 1 premiere and that, uh, seems bad?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Apparently the season 2 premiere saw a 25% drop in viewership from the season 1 premiere and that, uh, seems bad?

We're missing the Werner Herzog draw

I'm 25% sadder about the show with him gone

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Also aired right before the US election so people are a little pre-occupied.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

chitoryu12 posted:

His weapons are also a Tusken gaffi stick and scoped rifle, but the robe looks like a generic one.

Punished Boba... gently caress yeah.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

chitoryu12 posted:

He mugged a bunch of Jawas for that robe

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

That sounds wrong, I think I read yesterday it was about that much more than the season one premiere.

Edit: https://www.cbr.com/the-mandalorian-season-2-streaming-numbers-the-boys-stranger-things/

And for what it’s worth, that’s coming from a third party company polling their own users.

Teek fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 5, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

And where did you hear that from? I'm just curious because the QAnon-offshoot that calls itself the Fandom Menace loves to trot out that very peculiarly specific "25%" number about things they don't like. It's one of their memes. They also claimed Star Trek: Discovery lost 25% of its audience from last season, even though streaming services like CBS All Access and Disney+ don't actually publish viewership numbers, so nobody actually knows how well the shows are doing.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

And where did you hear that from? I'm just curious because the QAnon-offshoot that calls itself the Fandom Menace loves to trot out that very peculiarly specific "25%" number about things they don't like. It's one of their memes. They also claimed Star Trek: Discovery lost 25% of its audience from last season, even though streaming services like CBS All Access and Disney+ don't actually publish viewership numbers, so nobody actually knows how well the shows are doing.

It’s from observer.com. Granted, I don’t know if that’s a reputable source.

E: like, from what I’m reading, this isn’t an unusual drop off in viewership for a streaming service, because the first season is what people are going to watch first, so you have inflated numbers for the first season, and then you have an entire 7-8 months of build-up between that add to the previous seasons, etc. etc. it’s why a lot of streaming shows meet the 3 seasons/cancellation fate, afaik.

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 5, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Jared Kushner's rag?

I wouldn't trust them to report their name right.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I asked this in the last thread just before it got closed but is there anyway to watch this show in 1080p on a desktop computer?

I'm a bit cheesed off that I can't get higher than 720p through a drat browser because of DRM... (Edge doesn't do 1080p despite all the claims it can)

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Mulva posted:

Jared Kushner's rag?

I wouldn't trust them to report their name right.

Oh, that’s Kushner’s? Lol. Lmao. Google sure was in a hurry to legitimize them, for whatever it’s worth.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

teagone posted:

Maverick Jedi master who is clearly super talented and in touch with the force that tells the council to gently caress off and that's the reason why they're not on the council is a cool concept. But Qui-Gon somehow ended up just being so booooring.

It’s not his fault! You try doing a movie about a trade blockade in front of a green screen the entire time! :negative:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Heh, perhaps you just haven’t heard of... grey jedi. Smartest bestest Jedi guys, but they can shoot lightning if they feel like it.

And Rey sucks cause she’s a Mary Sue

:smugdog:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Hazo posted:

Heh, perhaps you just haven’t heard of... grey jedi. Smartest bestest Jedi guys, but they can shoot lightning if they feel like it.

Kyle Katarn!

But also rogue one essentially deleted kyle katarn so :rip:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Doesn't mean they can't pull an MCU and reimagine him with a slightly different origin story!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Grey Jedi always felt like "if there are two sides it must mean the middle is the smartest place to be!" nonsense to me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Grey Jedi always felt like "if there are two sides it must mean the middle is the smartest place to be!" nonsense to me.

This is also a “who gives a gently caress what George Lucas says”/appeal to authority thing, but when asked if Grey Jedi were a thing Lucas unequivocally said no.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Grey Jedi is just a delaying tactic that inevitably turns to either the light or the dark.

The solution is to forgo the religious tenets of the Jedi and the Sith and kill The Force itself for being the manifestation of authorial intent aka Fate.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I’m not sure if my disdain and mockery came through in that post. Grey Jedi is the stupidest loving concept that’s entirely made up by dorks who point to moody light-side Jedi like Jolee and Ahsoka and think they’ve cracked some kind of secret Force Konami code.

Every “Would you be a Jedi or Sith” poll is inevitably filled with comments from :actually: idiots who want their M/Gary Sue characters to be a noble good guy who by the way can also dispense awesome Punisher-style justice.

Look at what I just effort posted. I’m so sick of all these Star Words.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hazo posted:

I’m not sure if my disdain and mockery came through in that post. Grey Jedi is the stupidest loving concept that’s entirely made up by dorks who point to moody light-side Jedi like Jolee and Ahsoka and think they’ve cracked some kind of secret Force Konami code.

Every “Would you be a Jedi or Sith” poll is inevitably filled with comments from :actually: idiots who want their M/Gary Sue characters to be a noble good guy who by the way can also dispense awesome Punisher-style justice.

Look at what I just effort posted. I’m so sick of all these Star Words.

Kreia was cool. I think Grey Jedi can be really good, it's just hard to do right.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Grey Jedi just sounds like “any Jedi that manages to question the Jedi Order without immediately converting completely to the Dark Side and looking for a Sith Lord on Craigslist”

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Kreia was cool. I think Grey Jedi can be really good, it's just hard to do right.

Kreia is a Jedi master who became a master of Sith. She’s not a “gray jedi” or whatever, she’s just a temporarily embarrassed dark lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There's certainly plenty of room to explore the idea of a morally conflicted Jedi, or a force user that doesn't adhere to the tenets of any given order...but yeah, the phrase "Grey Jedi" almost universally refers to some manner of OC or MMO character who's Totally A Good Guy, but has all the high DPS Force powers and sometimes picks the 'witty but rear end in a top hat-ish' dialog options.

(Plus, look at the name itself - Grey Jedi. Nobody says Grey Sith. Or Grey Force User. There's always the implication of 'A Good Guy.....but')