Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

As is often brought up, yes :v:

As is, like, remembering a level chemistry.

You are all now terrorists.

Not included are the previous pages which have a lab scale synthesis, nor the subsequent ones about scaling up.

This is the same book that explained in depth how heroin could be made from codeine, but felt necessary to include questions about "how sad would you be if your friend did drugs?" alongside "how many grams of acetic anhydride would you need to turn 10g of morphine into heroin, and what is the mass of the final product?" in that chapter, but no questions about "what would you say if your friend was interested in the politics of Adolf Hitler?" (or Tony Blair, but this was before he bombed kids) in the bang bang chapter.

Sanford posted:

What a oval office.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqPr6bcTJhc

e: There were 367 Covid-19 deaths reported in the UK on October 27th, the government having rules out an early circuit breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't know who that is but gonna look them up now based just on the username.

This is just all knowledge you pick up more or less by osmosis growing up in the East End - stuff like getting through entryphones because half of them are broken and it's quicker than waiting for your mate to let you in, or obtaining a trolley from the Asda car park because it's cheaper than a taxi home.
My friend's ex was from that neck of the woods, and he told me how he used to take the Tube to Heathrow in the morning and jam empty cigarette packs up the change chutes of the vending machines (lots of new arrivals putting tenners and even twenties in to get a Coke), then come back later to empty them out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Guavanaut posted:

Not included are the previous pages which have a lab scale synthesis, nor the subsequent ones about scaling up.

This is the same book that explained in depth how heroin could be made from codeine, but felt necessary to include questions about "how sad would you be if your friend did drugs?" alongside "how many grams of acetic anhydride would you need to turn 10g of morphine into heroin, and what is the mass of the final product?" in that chapter, but no questions about "what would you say if your friend was interested in the politics of Adolf Hitler?" (or Tony Blair, but this was before he bombed kids) in the bang bang chapter.

e: There were 367 Covid-19 deaths reported in the UK on October 27th, the government having rules out an early circuit breaker.

I went to university for micro and chem (and mostly useless french) and tbh one of the things that mildly worries me at like a low background level is how easy it would be to do really terrible things, and the only thing stopping anyone is that they’re basically decent on some level (gop/tory votes notwithstanding)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Payndz posted:

My friend's ex was from that neck of the woods, and he told me how he used to take the Tube to Heathrow in the morning and jam empty cigarette packs up the change chutes of the vending machines (lots of new arrivals putting tenners and even twenties in to get a Coke), then come back later to empty them out.

I think your friend's ex might be completely full of poo poo on that one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mediaphage posted:

I went to university for micro and chem (and mostly useless french) and tbh one of the things that mildly worries me at like a low background level is how easy it would be to do really terrible things, and the only thing stopping anyone is that they’re basically decent on some level (gop/tory votes notwithstanding)

I mean that's also true of basically all society, it's sort of the thesis statement of anarchism :v:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

mediaphage posted:

Yea - beyond explosives there's some fairly easy poisons you can make quite easily if a terrorist wanted to cause indiscriminate deaths in crowds, but thankfully they've stuck to failing to blow up planes and driving vans into crowds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that's also true of basically all society, it's sort of the thesis statement of anarchism :v:
Yeah, there's nothing stopping me picking up a large gardening tool and murdering my neighbour who is outside at the moment other than that being a really horrible thing to do and I really do not want to.

There's been a few cases where that has happened, but it's either been a case of heated tempers over a disagreement (which is why I support a system of community courts that would allow those things to be talked out in a non-legalistic way, also an anarchist thing) or some form of thought disorder where they literally thought their neighbour was possessed by devils (good argument for more mental health crisis teams and scrapping the notion of gods and devils :bakuninsay:).

Found the drugs questions again, extreme lol

1) Structural chemistry
2-4) Describe in depth how you would make smack from over the counter painkillers
5) Please don't tho
6) How sad would you be if your mate smoked some pot?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

5) sounds like a solution mate go for it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

He was full of poo poo about a lot of things (usually to my friend, hence the ex part), but this sounded plausibly in his realm of petty criminality.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sanford posted:

"And I want each of you to think about the reasons you log in to work every morning because if the answer is to pay my bills, to pay my rent you should ask yourselves - is that really enough?"

What a oval office.

This is the loving worst person ever.

Yeah mate, it's enough. I work to pay bills & other essentials & also to afford to do the things I enjoy. Literally none of which involve work.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

Biden having this happen after speaking to the military and calling them stupid bastards who should clap was his best campaign moment

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

forkboy84 posted:

This is the loving worst person ever.

Yeah mate, it's enough. I work to pay bills & other essentials & also to afford to do the things I enjoy. Literally none of which involve work.

Hah this is basically what I said to my wife. Just tell him to give you the amount of money they agreed and otherwise stay out of our business.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bit late but I happen to know that the trolly locks M&S use can have the coin tray popped out with the end of one of their plastic zip ties. Rectangular slot right next to the tray, shove something long and thin down there and fiddle around till it goes click.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

5) sounds like a solution mate go for it.
6) Is an excellent example of why school sciences really need philosophy of science including as a core science (even if philosophers of science would debate that like they do everything else) and the social aspect needs discussing more. Like what was a question on cannabis even doing in a section about opioids? Why is it called 'marijuana' and the authors (despite claiming to write for UK students) claim that "heroin is never used in medicine"? Are they Americans? How would the average American in 2020 react to that question?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Apparently Johnny Boy's doing another press conference at 5 (so 8) today. It'll most likely just be a reconfirmation of the furlough thing right?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

6) Is an excellent example of why school sciences really need philosophy of science including as a core science (even if philosophers of science would debate that like they do everything else) and the social aspect needs discussing more. Like what was a question on cannabis even doing in a section about opioids? Why is it called 'marijuana' and the authors (despite claiming to write for UK students) claim that "heroin is never used in medicine"? Are they Americans? How would the average American in 2020 react to that question?

Right? Because I’d answer that “I agree,” which I’m sure would be marked down, lol. I’m glad there’s an increased push to use cannabis in many places instead of the term marijuana, which has all kinds of racist history attached

OwlFancier posted:

Ok fair but I’m talking like: it would be simplicity to culture a bunch of C bot from the soil, spin down the toxin, and adulterate public areas with it. Impossible to trace

I legit think in the next 50 years we’re going to have a homemade bioweapon as the tools become easier and easier to use.

Edit: to clarify I think it’s the difference between killing a building’s worth of people and a city’s

Jinkii
Jan 17, 2011
The company my mother works for gives away branded golf pitch marker keyrings that also happen to be the right size to unlock shopping trolleys, they also teach the plod how to shoot, so who knows if they good or evil.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Dominic_Simpson/status/1324333656035516417?s=20

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

mediaphage posted:

I legit think in the next 50 years we’re going to have a homemade bioweapon as the tools become easier and easier to use.

Edit: to clarify I think it’s the difference between killing a building’s worth of people and a city’s

Terrorists are going to release gases that causes large parts of the world to become uninhabitable over the next century :tinfoil:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sinky posted:

Terrorists are going to release gases that causes large parts of the world to become uninhabitable over the next century :tinfoil:

Hahaha haha haha hah aheh heh hm aaaaaaaaaqqqqqqqsknfksnfksnfsknf

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

fucvking hell

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1324335275527516161?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mediaphage posted:

Right? Because I’d answer that “I agree,” which I’m sure would be marked down, lol. I’m glad there’s an increased push to use cannabis in many places instead of the term marijuana, which has all kinds of racist history attached
It's weird how anti-cannabis the UK press/establishment got over the 80s and 90s, like comparing and contrasting from a book published in 1931 and revised in the 70s:

Half of that sounds exactly like what 2000s US medical cannabis advocates were saying, the oil treats seizures in kids, it's safer than opioids, alleviates incurable pain, etc, etc.

Fast forward to 90s UK and they're sticking anti-marijuana poo poo in high level student chemistry textbooks and implying the whole "smoking marijuana inevitably leads to heroin use" poo poo even in academic contexts.

I blame Thatcher.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's a pretty common scam people used to do on phone boxes, to the point that the change chute on the mid-late 80s phones was modified to make it impossible (people old enough to have actually used a pay phone as anything but a urinal will remember the very heavy flap on there, which made it impossible to access the chute while the flap was open), so it's not impossible, although I suspect anyone wandering around messing with vending machines at Heathrow, even pre-9/11, would have ended up being asked Very Serious Questions by the old bill.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Neither the Tesco nor the Asda round my way requires a pound for the trolley, the Aldi does and Morrisons is too expensive to bother shopping there.

Don't know about Lidl.

I always remember the keyring with the pound-shaped thing you could detach and put in the slot to unlock your trolley. I think my father still has a few kicking about.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I suspect anyone wandering around messing with vending machines at Heathrow, even pre-9/11, would have ended up being asked Very Serious Questions by the old bill.
"Are you, or have you ever been, Irish?"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dabir posted:

slot right next to the tray, shove something long and thin down there and fiddle around till it goes click.
Somewhere in the UK, Ms Adequade awakens from her slumber and feels called to post, though she knows not why.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jinkii posted:

The company my mother works for gives away branded golf pitch marker keyrings that also happen to be the right size to unlock shopping trolleys, they also teach the plod how to shoot, so who knows if they good or evil.

In a dichotomy that might actually be strong enough to make a Tory brain explode, a few years ago the RBL sold poppy keyrings the size of a pound coin for that reason too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

It's weird how anti-cannabis the UK press/establishment got over the 80s and 90s, like comparing and contrasting from a book published in 1931 and revised in the 70s:

Half of that sounds exactly like what 2000s US medical cannabis advocates were saying, the oil treats seizures in kids, it's safer than opioids, alleviates incurable pain, etc, etc.

Fast forward to 90s UK and they're sticking anti-marijuana poo poo in high level student chemistry textbooks and implying the whole "smoking marijuana inevitably leads to heroin use" poo poo even in academic contexts.

I blame Thatcher.

I’m in no way defending thatcher because fuckin’ lol but I put most of the blame for this straight at Nixon as then everyone else used the us to justify it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I blame Thatcher.

Like all drug policy, it got banned when The Help started to get their hands on it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I got shat on by a bird on my way home from work today, while inside a train station.
Something something 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pigeons like s(h)itting in the rafters IME.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mediaphage posted:

I’m in no way defending thatcher because fuckin’ lol but I put most of the blame for this straight at Nixon as then everyone else used the us to justify it
Nixon and Reagan both have their share of the blame, yeah. It's just weird how it went from

1930s:
:britain: Hemp tincture can cure pain, seizures, and insanity
:911: Marijuana causes insanity, masturbation, and miscegenation :byodood:

to 1990s:
:britain: Marijuana inevitably leads to heroin abuse and HIV :supaburn:
:ca: Hey did you know hemp tincture can cure pain and seizures

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Like all drug policy, it got banned when The Help started to get their hands on it.
I suppose the UK did prefer to do 99% of its racism overseas at the time America was first panicking about cocaine making African-Americans bulletproof, which is a serious problem for some reason.

e: Also that bit at the top, they extracted cannabis oil and made it solid with hydrogen. So someone somewhere in post-Edwardian Downton Abbey era England was spreading cannabis margarine on something for medical purposes.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 5, 2020

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Monthly Update - 1st 3rd 5th November 2020 :siren:

Hello, yes, we still exist and are still helping people. Please continue to donate if you can spare a few quid, and apply if you need it.

A fairly quiet month... the calm before the storm of Brexit, I suspect. Two months to go, goons - hope everyone's stockpiles are in order, and remember the Fund can assist with grocery purchases if you're struggling to afford that extra couple of tins a week.

October Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts:

Cumulative donations and payouts:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

Donate:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/ukmtsolidarity - Please mark your donation as a gift, *not* as payment for services, as the latter incurs a charge!
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply: 
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, Oscar Diggs or Rarity.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Sanford posted:

"So each of you every day needs to be asking yourselves where you'll be three years from now. Will you be happy sitting there in the same chair, doing the same job? I know I wouldn't be!" (I have just bought my wife a new desk chair so I took this personally)

As a recently-redundo former middle manager, this was my favourite: "You should be asking your manager every day, what's the plan for my career? If they don't have a good answer, you need to work with them to get one, and ask again tomorrow!"

"And I want each of you to think about the reasons you log in to work every morning because if the answer is to pay my bills, to pay my rent you should ask yourselves - is that really enough?"

What a oval office.

As (sadly) a manager people that are happy to sit in the same chair doing the same job that needs done are like gold dust. They are my favourite employees and are much harder to find and replace than people who want constant progression.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

extremely antisemitic of keith to ignore this

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1324367650248626178?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The sunset on friday deadline is a nice touch :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He'll have a BLM moment where he goes on tv and says "it's absolute nonsense, we only accept legitimate accusations of antisemitism from real Jews, which are Jews who live in Israel or Jews who control a disproportionate amount of the world's wealth" before collapsing entirely into a wet egg.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Barry sheerman is easily the worst of the lot and of course starmer ignored what he'd said after an apology

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Thought I'd have a look at my home towns facebook group to see how they were getting on, turns out its full of poo poo. I thought I'd repost some 'memes' here to creak open the door into the mind of a super gammon.

Its NOT the governments fault, remember that

At 20 to 8 the country is bollocks

Putting these 2 together as Little Miss Brexit memes are just screenshots on a phone

Very sloppy usage of stock photos

Don't get it

Apparently Priti Patel isn't right wing enough?

Terry Christian, how could you!

Keir Ledger

e: edited, apologies :)

justcola fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I appreciate the thought but I could probably have done without it to be honest.