Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

CSIV: Act 1 double boss battle: How is that little poo poo Gilbert still kicking? Was he in the crossbell games too or something? And that fight against Zephyr holy jesus. Thankfully I went in with full everything and just smashed them in the face with S-Crafts and Randy's Order. Still only barely got it under the wire since I needed to scan them too

I'm really enjoying the dynamic early on. Juna, Kurt and Altina are genuinely great together and I find myself not really missing the larger cast. I know it wont last but it's such a great way to slip back into the world.

Glibert functions under Team Rocket rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Sakurazuka posted:

What's her master card, I beat her but I can't remember what I used.
It was probably all ranged cards though.

i stacked my deck with fifenall + damage boosters and it finally gave me the decisive edge (and getting the first turn, which feels necessary as a ranger)

edit: just realized i could have bought a better master in the general store :shepface:

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 4, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah I remember that one now, I bought a better master in the store lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Levantine posted:

CSIV: Act 1 double boss battle: How is that little poo poo Gilbert still kicking? Was he in the crossbell games too or something? And that fight against Zephyr holy jesus. Thankfully I went in with full everything and just smashed them in the face with S-Crafts and Randy's Order. Still only barely got it under the wire since I needed to scan them too

I'm really enjoying the dynamic early on. Juna, Kurt and Altina are genuinely great together and I find myself not really missing the larger cast. I know it wont last but it's such a great way to slip back into the world.

To the first part: he's part of Ouroborous's dipshit grunt squadron, who basically exist to get their arse kicked as a distraction/delaying tactic

As for the latter, I feel their individual personalities get a lot of room to show without Rean constantly hogging the spotlight. In general Cold Steel 3/4 did a lot to flesh out Altina after the amusing interactions with her in CS2.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Juna & Co are so much better than the rest of the cast it ain't even funny

Juna rules!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Shinjobi posted:

Juna & Co are so much better than the rest of the cast it ain't even funny

Juna rules!

I like Juna, Altina, Ash and Musse, but Kurt's really just sort of there. He never gets anything interesting to do. He's the Gaius of nuClass VII.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Kurt is still more interesting than Gaius, though.

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/1324073676413657094?s=20

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I just hit this track in CSIV and it owns. That is all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDHsx5nXE9M

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

CSIV Act 1 Part...3? I think: I very, very genuinely appreciated Estelle just verbally rolling her drat eyes at Cao's declaration that he wouldn't be using his ~full strength~. That kind of thing has easily been the worst part of the series for me and I just really enjoyed a character just not being there for that poo poo at all

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CottonWolf posted:

I like Juna, Altina, Ash and Musse, but Kurt's really just sort of there. He never gets anything interesting to do. He's the Gaius of nuClass VII.

Kurt is overly serious but I really liked his conversation with Ash early on. He's definitely the quiet mature one, though.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I think the to the final act 1 boss was just being able to go in with plenty of CP and BP, Gilbert is usually last man standing with decent hp so just standards attacks to build up

I dont remember what Roselia whips out but I remember beating her the first try, hardest V M game for me was when Tilia whips out the knight card and at this point in the game it can nearly one shot your weak starting cards, the AI for VM is certainly better than CSIII but still not too difficult.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

CSIV Act 1 Part...3? I think: I very, very genuinely appreciated Estelle just verbally rolling her drat eyes at Cao's declaration that he wouldn't be using his ~full strength~. That kind of thing has easily been the worst part of the series for me and I just really enjoyed a character just not being there for that poo poo at all

Just a callback to a similar scene in Ao actually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurt works well in the context of Nu Class VII where he serves a distinct character role amidst the rest of the class.

Like so many other characters that gets lost when he's one of 500 million characters sharing a scene at the same time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shinjobi posted:

Kurt is still more interesting than Gaius, though.

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/1324073676413657094?s=20

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/1324075098471493632

bless you, hatsuu

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

You'll like a bit just a little further on then where Juna just calls Campanella a smug piece of poo poo to his face so harshly he actually gets upset.

CottonWolf posted:

There's a lot of bangers in CS4, which is no surprise although I found that as the Cold Steel series progresses we get more rad electronic numbers.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
You'll probably enjoy the first dungeon of Act 3 if you like Syncronicity, I really enjoyed the final dungeon's songs and the redone version of Atrocious Raid

Minor complaint but it's annoying there is no large area fire-based spell outside of the lost arts.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 4, 2020

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

That one seems to be the little brother of this monster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfWYlVQPY7Y

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Act 1 Fragments boss rush done. Managed to finish it first time through - with the full 10 AP too - but really don't want to do that again any time soon.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I would have gotten the 10 AP too but I hosed up the order of my limits and could not possibly be arsed to do that over

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I like the power rangers(Juna Red, Kurt Blue, Ash Yellow, Musse Green, Altina Black) a lot and I thrive when we have as many characters around at once as possible, but in the big bad sequel to all previous arcs climax bit, I feel like having some new kids completely out of their league just wasnt the best idea, and that scene early on where Class VII is acting completely out of character doing nothing and Juna yells at them is honestly one of my least favorite scenes in the series.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

last chapter of CS3 sure is dropping some bombs

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Can you use lost arts for free on zero arts turns? I've not had the situation come up yet to see.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Yes they cost 0EP, I don't find them all that powerful compared to the final tier of the standard arts, but the stats they provide are huge

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MythosDragon posted:

...and that scene early on where Class VII is acting completely out of character doing nothing and Juna yells at them is honestly one of my least favorite scenes in the series.

Yes. That was egregiously bad.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I idly switched Master cards right before Rose, and it turns out that Bard is indeed just utterly busted in competent (i.e. player) hands. Completely rolled over Rose (who's using Witch incidentally - so 5 starting Mana and a 3 cost ability to do 4 damage to anything), and now the next challenger too (who was using Knight).

You don't even need a ranged build to really break the game with Bard, because sealed cards don't get their counterattack.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

i require MORE

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
While I absolutely loved the end of CS4 Act 2, I really, really would have appreciated being offered the option to save BEFORE watching an entire movie.

It was really good though.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Starsnostars posted:

Can you use lost arts for free on zero arts turns? I've not had the situation come up yet to see.

Yes and casting cost reduction battle orders work on them too, making them much more affordable.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

House No Kiseki

That one sleepy town-y song that plays sometimes when you go back to the forest village is very FFIX.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just finished CS3, like, gently caress that ending and gently caress those antagonists with a rusty nail

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Death Priest posted:

While I absolutely loved the end of CS4 Act 2, I really, really would have appreciated being offered the option to save BEFORE watching an entire movie.

It was really good though.
I just finished Act 2 myself, and yep, that would have been nice! That cutscene was great, but long as hell.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just finished CS3, like, gently caress that ending and gently caress those antagonists with a rusty nail

Good news! CS4 is out, so you don't have to wait.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I just finished Act 2 myself, and yep, that would have been nice! That cutscene was great, but long as hell.

Good news! CS4 is out, so you don't have to wait.

I already have it downloaded but still

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Will Falcoms new engine let me walk into a shop without a loading screen?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah CS3 and CS4 goes out of its way to make the antagonists massive pieces of poo poo compared to prior instalments in the series.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah CS3 and CS4 goes out of its way to make the antagonists massive pieces of poo poo compared to prior instalments in the series.

Weissman's entire gimmick is being the most punchably hateable person in Zemuria.
And then he had a clone in Crossbell... And Arc 4.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah but generally there was only one eminently punchable douche, CS4 has several.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

But every single bad guy was actually a good person doing it for the right reason all along

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean there's a moment where Aurelia and Rutger just go "poo poo, man. That's going too drat far." at Osborne, so

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Even Lecter is like "uhm for real?" during the ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Will Falcoms new engine let me walk into a shop without a loading screen?

Depends on the PS5's hardware and Falcom's competence in programming!