Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Idkbutlike2 posted:

and Falcom's competence in programming!

So basically no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Womp womp

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Maybe they'll hire new skilled peoplahahahahaha

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
You can generally depend on video game developers to not have competent programmers. I feel like this goes double for Japanese devs, and double again for *small* Japanese devs like Falcom.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the new trails engine actually seems pretty good. admittedly its only used in like two cutscenes in hajimari, but. it looks nice.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
It was like ten seconds of footage. I didn't get much out of it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Lapis is pretty cute in the new engine. The animations are very smooth and there seems to be more colors to it.

It's not really even a spoiler but i'll just err on the side of caution.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

If the splash screen I just got is any indication, I just finished act 1 of CS4. I really dislike Sharon's new outfit. It's just ridiculously horny for no real reason.

Just coming back to this, there's a scene in the later game where Sharon says she specifically does this to make her opponents so disarmed by the risque nature of what she's wearing. Normally I'd take this as writers trying to retroactive justify poo poo, but this is Sharon we're talking about. She also stops doing it apart from loving with Duvalie.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

infraboy posted:

Lapis is pretty cute in the new engine. The animations are very smooth and there seems to be more colors to it.

It's not really even a spoiler but i'll just err on the side of caution.

The thing is, for a single ten second clip, you can make it as fancy as you want because there's hardly anything to render. Like, here's a screenshot from a game from 2008 that looks about on par with that.

Also, Falcom are known for heavy use of bullshots in stuff like game previews, which makes me even more skeptical of how good the engine will look in an actual game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Idkbutlike2 posted:

The thing is, for a single ten second clip, you can make it as fancy as you want because there's hardly anything to render. Like, here's a screenshot from a game from 2008 that looks about on par with that.

Also, Falcom are known for heavy use of bullshots in stuff like game previews, which makes me even more skeptical of how good the engine will look in an actual game.

Well, motion capture is going to help cutscenes look more natural, at least. Ys 9's already looks a lot better than 8's in terms of blocking a scene and character animation.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

They uh, they consistently called Lake Elm in Crossbell, Lake Ebel, the Lake in Legram. Voiced lines even, so I don't think this will get fixed.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
The localization job this time around is of a much poorer quality. Every 4-lines text box is broken, plenty of typoes and a few missing words, wrong voice file for at least one s-craft, rege in text/inch in speech (and rege should be a centimeter, not an inch, even though I'm well aware that the english expression is 'not giving an inch'). There is also one exchange between Rean and another character where I'm fairly sure one dialogue box is incorrectly attributed to Rean.

Hopefully patch 1.02 will fix some of those but you only get one chance to make a first impression.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 6, 2020

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I'm kinda tempted to start over on celceta after finishing the first actual dungeon

I was having some trouble at first adjusting to the game but holy poo poo the mechanics in this are broken to the point where nothing poses any challenge. It's fun but I don't even feel like I have to try at all

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Death Priest posted:

The localization job this time around is of a much poorer quality. Every 4-lines text box is broken, plenty of typoes and a few missing words, wrong voice file for at least one s-craft, rege in text/inch in speech (and rege should be a centimeter, not an inch, even though I'm well aware that the english expression is 'not giving an inch'). There is also one exchange between Rean and another character where I'm fairly sure one dialogue box is incorrectly attributed to Rean.

Hopefully patch 1.02 will fix some of those but you only get one chance to make a first impression.

*gestures at reality* Do you blame them?

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Supremezero posted:

*gestures at reality* Do you blame them?

Am I supposed to blame the curse ?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the actual dialogue quality/core translation quality is about as good as cs3, which is all i care about tbh. most of that stuff can get patched (minus the lines that are voiced, rip) and i can mentally correct for it. my technical quality standards are pretty low tho, so long as the game isnt literally breaking

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That Ys 8 bonus dungeon was kind of garbage and the reward is uh, stupid. Oh well.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Just beat CSIV yesterday. Guess I'll be waiting till 2022 for the next game.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

kirbysuperstar posted:

i require MORE

You have Faxanadu there, where's your physical copy of Tokyo Xanadu ex?

Also Legacy of the Wizard, I guess

edit: and Sorcerian

John Lee fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 6, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

John Lee posted:

You have Faxanadu there, where's your physical copy of Tokyo Xanadu ex?

Also Legacy of the Wizard, I guess

edit: and Sorcerian

I have TXex+ on PSN and.. Man that game doesn't deserve being bought twice. LOTW didn't have a PAL release like Faxanadu did, not that that's stopped me before but that's the current excuse. I do want to get Sorcerian though..

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
what happened to adol's three twin brothers from wanderers from ys

Reco fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 6, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Boat trip

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

holy poo poo the Osborne change is loving terrible

who greenlit this they need to be fired

incidentally, the Laura change is.....not terrible...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

i require MORE

where are Xanadu Next, Gurumin, and Zwei

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

where are Xanadu Next, Gurumin, and Zwei

Steam Steam and Steam

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

holy poo poo the Osborne change is loving terrible

who greenlit this they need to be fired

incidentally, the Laura change is.....not terrible...

Laura's is mostly the same although comically the first time I first was like "oh yeah, different VA" was her Arcus Link attack's aspirated yell which has more vocal fry than the original VA.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
CSIV: Anyone have any deck building tips to beat Tilia in Vantage Masters? She whips out a Knight and absolutely doesn't care what I do. I have 3 masters and none of them seem to be equipped for taking her down. I've tried some deck variations relying on archers but the Knight and her other cards just excel in destroying me front or back line.

EDIT: well I guess i just had to complain online. I knocked her out next try. The trick for me was dealing with the cards she threw out immediately and once I got my sealing cards out, doing that as much as possible. Some luck helped but overall it didn't feel hopeless.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 7, 2020

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I am no expert or anything but VM seems to really reward board control over all else

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 7, 2020

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I've won every single match with no difficulty just using my Ranger to pick up every mana crystal while killing everything. Just started fragments though cuz I'm insane and did Act 1 Part 3 4 times with all members.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For the early ones I've been doing OK with the Ranger to just snipe the Master cards from the backline. Mishy gave me a little bit of trouble because they had that one that just, I guess deletes cards out of the field or some poo poo?? And for that I used Bard to try to keep sealing all of the good cards.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They use the cards that do four(?) points of damage to all non-fire element cards on your side yeah, those and the Witch master card suuuck to play against

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bard wrecks a lot of decks.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I have an embarrassing question to ask: all crafts run on STR right? Even ones that deal magic damage?

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

BrightWing posted:

I have an embarrassing question to ask: all crafts run on STR right? Even ones that deal magic damage?

Maybe in CS1 but not in the others.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Just beat the VM player after Mishy, and here's my deck if anyone is curious. I've steamrolled everyone so far on both normal and hard.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MythosDragon posted:

Thats not exactly true. Our biggest Erebonian contact was.... Olivert. Trails spent 5 games letting you know stuff was up in the empire, not that the empire was stuffy mcstuffytown. Thats just the Liberlian and Crossbellian perspective of being terrified of your giga war neighbor. One of my favorite aspects of the series is in fact getting to go Erebonia and it not being an evil empire.

But Erebonia *is* an evil empire. If anything it's just a somewhat more realistic presentation of one than you'd normally see in fiction. The US in real life is also an evil empire, but that isn't usually going to be reflected in the everyday lives of people there, most of whom are not directly involved in the business of said empire.

The characters' perspectives in the first couple Cold Steel games don't make it as clear because none of the PoV characters live in the various places Erebonia annexes (though you see the victims' perspectives through the post-war damage in the Sky games* and Crossbell's relationship with Erebonia in those games).

* It's been a while since I played them, but wasn't Estelle's mother killed by a building collapsing or something due to the war?

edit: My half-serious Rean opinion is actually that he's an inexcusable collaborator who only turns against the Empire when it reaches the point of being comically evil. He's forgiven somewhat due to being a teenager, though.

RevolverDivider posted:

I genuinely cannot comprehend people loving FC and thinking something like CS1 is completely different in terms of tone and writing.

The one aspect where CS1 is significantly different is probably having a pretty "Gary Stu"-ish protagonist.

Idkbutlike2 posted:

Personally, I don't think so. Jenis isn't framed as weirdly in Liberl as Thors is in Erebonia. Trails spent five games portraying Erebonia as this rigid, conservative country, but then you get to Thors and it's a very laid back setting where someone can dress like this to a school event and not immediately get expelled.

I remember thinking Jenis was interesting because a relatively normal school felt unusually "modern" for the setting at that point (which previously just presented education as children being taught in churches). It was also interesting visiting it as people who aren't students there (or anywhere) and are foreign to the student experience. I remember liking that section of the game.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 8, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

The one aspect where CS1 is significantly different is probably having a pretty "Gary Stu"-ish protagonist.

Joshua

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Rean is like if you took every aspect that people disliked about Joshua and ramped them up to 11.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rean is way better than Josh. Like, there's no contest. He seems pretty improved in SC so far though, perhaps just because he's only been in 2 scenes and he's not been around Estelle.

Speaking of SC, chapter 5 basically responded to my complaints about the game. There was only 3 side quests, the quest bosses were actually incorporated into the main story and it feels the party actually accomplished something pretty major. Hope the game keeps up the momentum because after a strong start it was starting to lose me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Rean is perfectly fine as a character. The problem is that the writers decided almost every other character either needed to fall in love with him or think that he’s the coolest dude they’ve ever met.