Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There’s something :smith: about both knowing something is inherently less dangerous for you and still not being able to shake a mental hangup about it.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Martytoof posted:

There’s something :smith: about both knowing something is inherently less dangerous for you and still not being able to shake a mental hangup about it.

How do you handle highway driving in your car?

Once I got over the sensation of speed compared to surface streets, riding on the highway was pretty unremarkable to me. But I'm also very comfortable driving on the highway, and I know some people get stressed out by highway driving.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The first time i rode on the freeway i was so freaked out i was going like fifty and deathgripping the bars and it was so loud.

And some dude/chick on a sportbike blew past me doing like a million and i was like HOW? How does one even do that those people are literally insane.

But now that dude/chick is me; i hope I've inspired you all.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

FBS posted:

Once I got over the sensation of speed compared to surface streets, riding on the highway was pretty unremarkable to me. But I'm also very comfortable driving on the highway, and I know some people get stressed out by highway driving.

The two things that really drive me away from riding on big 4-lanes are:
1.) It’s boring
2.) It’s really intense on the senses because of the wind noise, engine noise, and road noise at 70+ mph and the surfaces of those roads are usually bumpier and heavily worn, moderately grooved, and I assume a harder-wearing compound than a state highway. This has always been on fairly light 90s bikes with only moderately improved suspension though.

I used to do it daily in Little Rock and it wasn’t that big a deal but wasn’t fun either. Around Denver I’m really uncomfortable with it because of the aforementioned reasons and so much stop and go traffic, and big surges of “ok everyone go 80 mph right now really close together and now STOP” plus Colorado drivers being loving aggressive and inattentive (lots of high speed rear enders around here).

All in all it is really stressful.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FBS posted:

Oh it's not even an issue in an enclosed four wheel space. Just the combination of high speed and vulnerability.

But like I said, I'm 100% sure it's just a mental block that I can get past by just doing more of it, more often, and with rides where I don't need to be somewhere to give myself the extra stress of deadlines or timetables.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I distinctly remember having to force myself to go 65mph on the freeway the first time I went on, and it felt fast as hell. This was despite just doing 70 or 75mph on the 2 lane mountain road I had just been on. Living in LA and being able to split lanes, there's a huge incentive to take the bike everywhere, so I got comfortable pretty fast after that.

The jump from "65mph is fast and scary on the freeway" to "feeling very comfortable doing 100mph on the toll road with rolling hills, lying down against the tank to give my abs a break" occurred much faster than you'd think. In some ways it would be nice to have 70mph feel that fast again, now if I want to feel some speed getting on the freeway I can accelerate fast but then before you know it you're only in the top of 2nd, already doing 90mph, and you have to stop accelerating if you want to keep your license.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

I distinctly remember having to force myself to go 65mph on the freeway the first time I went on, and it felt fast as hell. This was despite just doing 70 or 75mph on the 2 lane mountain road I had just been on. Living in LA and being able to split lanes, there's a huge incentive to take the bike everywhere, so I got comfortable pretty fast after that.

The jump from "65mph is fast and scary on the freeway" to "feeling very comfortable doing 100mph on the toll road with rolling hills, lying down against the tank to give my abs a break" occurred much faster than you'd think. In some ways it would be nice to have 70mph feel that fast again, now if I want to feel some speed getting on the freeway I can accelerate fast but then before you know it you're only in the top of 2nd, already doing 90mph, and you have to stop accelerating if you want to keep your license.

Congratulations, you have been selected for a clinical study about people who desperately need a 125 without knowing it!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On the topic of highway chat of course after all my talking about how safe it is, I had to emergency brake on the freeway this morning :cripes:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Congratulations, you have been selected for a clinical study about people who desperately need a 125 without knowing it!

Oh I know I need one, plus a dirt bike, a more comfortable bike for longer rides, etc. I'd probably have to go bigger than a 125 though, I took my MSF class on some 125cc standard bike and the handlebars would hit my knees, I looked like a circus bear on a bike.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Just rolled over 4000km on my first motorcycle. Been a weird year. I would have liked to get more riding in but there's always next year. With a string of good weather the next few days I'll see if I can up that number to 4500km.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just got shipping notification for the service manual... the last few days have been great weather wise, feels bad not being able to get out there. :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

yea the fun thing about taking little bikes in the twisties is that you can increase the acceleration (the fun part) just by leaning harder instead of endlessly buying bigger and bigger engines. And if you've only just gotten bored with your engine's power, I guarantee you're using like 30% of your tire in the turns. There's tons more to go there.

I honestly don't know what I'd do with any more power than my 650 has right now. Scare passengers a little more I guess? Shift less? Meh. 50hp is enough for anybody. Get better tires and suspension instead.

basically don't upgrade until you can do this with your current bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9MVY8swO5M

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 6, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

starting to think the best thing I can do to improve my riding right now is to drop my bike once

e: In fact, thinking about it now, I've never dropped a street bike. On my GS500 I rode off a corner into the grass once and when it got wrecked I was on two wheels the whole time til the minivan hit me.

Maybe I should buy a beater this winter and practice lowsiding

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

yea the fun thing about taking little bikes in the twisties is that you can increase the acceleration (the fun part) just by leaning harder instead of endlessly buying bigger and bigger engines. And if you've only just gotten bored with your engine's power, I guarantee you're using like 30% of your tire in the turns. There's tons more to go there.

I honestly don't know what I'd do with any more power than my 650 has right now. Scare passengers a little more I guess? Shift less? Meh. 50hp is enough for anybody. Get better tires and suspension instead.

basically don't upgrade until you can do this with your current bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9MVY8swO5M

This, a thousand times this. Mind-blowing fact: fat tyred sport bikes are miserably slow in corners, they are designed to maximize kinetic performance on the straights and are best combined with 'slow' v-shaped lines, which also happen to be the way crap riders with too much machine approach corners, which is why it's so easy to brake and gas super hard and tell yourself you're riding fast.

Skinny tyres rule the corner, if it were possible to put 200hp and 300kmh braking forces through 2" wide rims they would all be running those because the advantage is colossal. On the street, corner speed uber alles and 50hp + good cycle parts are enough to humiliate basically anything if you know what you're doing and they don't.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Phone posted:

Just got shipping notification for the service manual... the last few days have been great weather wise, feels bad not being able to get out there. :(

You cant find a copy online? What bike do you have again?
I've only seen ktm been real stingy about service manuals on some models, the rest I've found after some googling.

ofc a paper copy is neat too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The CBR300 forum seems to be pretty on the ball about knocking down any links to :filez:, but it was $35 + shipping from Helm Inc. and the world's most 1998 website.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kawasaki was out of stock on their own '17-19 Ninja 650 service manual for the longest time so I had to go to a third party site and bought an obvious bootleg, albeit well printed and nicely bound. I don't regret it, at 1/3 of the price of the official either. Ended up ripping it apart and scanning the whole thing into a giant PDF before putting it back together so now I have a hard and softcopy reference.

And yes, I definitely checked :filez: beforehand.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I got my MV Agusta back on the road after getting the fuel system cleaned up and I was reminded of why I recommend smaller bikes to beginners when comparing it to my KTM RC390. It's not even the horsepower difference of 39 hp vs 126 hp. The KTM is so light and forgiving and really almost mountain bike like in its ease of use. The MV is like an animal even with "just" 126 hp. The reach to the clip ons is super long, the clip ons are super low, the footpegs are super high, and the clip ons pinch your thumbs at full lock. The MV drops into turns alarmingly well and the tall first gear combined with the fuel delivery make for challenging slow speed maneuvering. Without ABS, traction control, wheelie control etc., it'll do exactly what you say to it regardless of how dumb it is. It is awesome in corners and the suspension is so so much better than the KTM, but it's so much less forgiving. The fact that I'm running sticky but fast to warm up Michelin Power RS on the KTM versus more track day Diablo Rosso Corsa on the MV also doesn't help.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 6, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

FBS posted:

starting to think the best thing I can do to improve my riding right now is to drop my bike once

Guess what happened today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqOb3CPaHD8

Turns out you gotta use the kickstand, every single time! :eng101:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I wore leather pants for the first time yesterday and when I tried to get on my bike I kicked it over instead :unsmith:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

FBS posted:

I knew that was coming and I was somehow still surprised, I take it the bike is fine?

Toe Rag posted:

I wore leather pants for the first time yesterday and when I tried to get on my bike I kicked it over instead :unsmith:

This is not Cycle Asylum approved but I very rarely wear my A* leather pants, so when I do finally put them on for a more spirited ride I actually feel less comfortable as my movements feel off. There is a very easy fix for this.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FBS posted:

No video but I did basically the same thing yesterday off the DR by putting the kickstand down on loose dirt that sloped away from the bike.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I dunked my N650 doing a tight u-turn in a cul-de-sac. Instead of looking out where I wanted to be, I looked down and grabbed too much brake and it turns out your bike needs to be moving to keep from falling down whoops.

Luckily I managed to stick my foot out enough that I acted as a shock absorber and literally laid it down slowly because, I mean, 400lbs is still tough to keep from falling over when it's already near the ground. Only real damage was some super minor rash on the mirror and the fairing slider.

In all actuality it might have been better if I had just outright dropped it and gotten the "well now it's scratched to hell, time to beat it up" over with.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

MomJeans420 posted:

I knew that was coming and I was somehow still surprised, I take it the bike is fine?

Yep. The only part that broke was the peg feeler that snapped off. There are some minuscule scratches on the clutch lever and mirror. The frame slider kept the engine case off the ground which I was really happy to see.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

FBS posted:

Yep. The only part that broke was the peg feeler that snapped off. There are some minuscule scratches on the clutch lever and mirror. The frame slider kept the engine case off the ground which I was really happy to see.

R&G Sliders and axle sliders front and rear, right? I have the same and was always suspect if it would beat the case to the ground or not

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Carteret posted:

R&G Sliders and axle sliders front and rear, right? I have the same and was always suspect if it would beat the case to the ground or not

Yep those are the R&G sliders and I have spooled axle sliders. The only caveat is the saddlebags, they weren't scuffed up and the mounts weren't bent at all but it's possible they helped keep the case off the ground a little. So YMMV

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Your tank also looks like it sticks out a little, like mine, and I'm always worried that the tank will be one of the casualties of a drop. Plastic I can replace or leave, but a scratched tank rusting is what actually keeps me up at night :ohdear:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

My tank cover is plastic! :eng101:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

This is not Cycle Asylum approved but I very rarely wear my A* leather pants, so when I do finally put them on for a more spirited ride I actually feel less comfortable as my movements feel off. There is a very easy fix for this.

I was at babby’s first track day, so hence the full leather. I had meant to go for a ride in them before to see how they felt but didn’t get the chance :(

Once I realized I needed to swing a little harder to get over the bike it was fine, but I don’t move around on the bike too much.

Track day was fun. It kind of sucked at first because I was too nervous to pass people in the corners and with only 28hp I couldn’t pass much on the straights either, but by the 3rd time out I started to go for it. There is a surprising amount of traffic on a track which I guess I didn’t expect but now seems obvious.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

I'm taking the California 3 day MSP course in three weeks. I am beyond excited and have a couple questions.

I need a 3/4 helmet for the course and found this one on clearance:

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/street_helmets_and_eyewear/open_face/afx/fx76_solid_helmet.html

Assuming I want to go further after taking the course :smug:, I'm interested in dad bike riding in the form of maybe a Honda Shadow or something like that. Right now I realize I have no idea. So, I'm looking for a decent helmet to get me through the course & figuring it out.

I'm also really interested in learning the mechanical aspect inside and out. I picked up this read an am looking for any other recommendations: (really good so far)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZT8FGM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For context, I drive a desk for work but can tell a wrench from a hammer. I can't tell a torque wrench from a not a torque wrench, so that's my mechanical acumen. Any suggestions on beginners guide to motorcycle maintenance and repair etc.?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

They should provide you with a helmet, unless you confirmed 100% they don’t? It’s supposed to be the same provider/course statewide.

https://cmsp.msi5.com/faq.php

I would spend money on gloves instead. I don’t have any other advice!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

With Covid many places are requiring you bring your own helmet. Also, Please invest in a full face helmet. The cheapest DOT full face is better than the best 3/4 helmet you'll find due to simple physics. I'm sure there are multiple effort posts in this very thread, but just googling the Hurt Report should tell you why.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Get yourself a full-face helmet instead. If the course says you need a 3/4, that means "at least" a 3/4 -- so not a shorty half helmet that doesn't protect the back of your skull, or a fake brain bucket. But a full-face is still the best kind of helmet, because statistically nearly half of the head impacts in a motorcycle crash are to the face and jaw area. Only a full-face will save you from needing reconstructive surgery in that situation. They are also significantly quieter and more comfortable once you get above like 40mph.

As for the specific model, that one you posted is ECE certified so it's fine (you want either ECE or Snell -- DOT alone is not enough in my opinion) but if you are "beyond excited" for the course it sounds like you'll probably continue on to getting a motorcycle, so it's worth buying a decent helmet up front. There's no point in buying something cheap (means heavy, loud, possibly uncomfortable) that makes the experience worse or tempts you to ride without it.

A luxurious helmet would be something like the Shoei RF-1200, which costs about $500, but is really nice. If you're on a budget, something like the HJC CL-17 is perfectly good and costs $140 or so.

Normally I would say that the most important thing is to go to a motorcycle store and try the helmets on, because every manufacturer uses a slightly different prototype head shape for their molds and some will just fit you better than others. I have a Shoei/HJC head and Arais are immediately uncomfortable, for instance. But I don't know if during COVID that's still a thing you can do. If you can, go and try on a few models and make sure that they fit snugly (but not like clamps on your head) and that there aren't any points with obvious extra pressure building up. If you can't, you may be able to abuse the Amazon or Revzilla return policy, though again idk if they do that with helmets in the COVID era. Look around and see.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 22, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

mincedgarlic posted:

For context, I drive a desk for work but can tell a wrench from a hammer. I can't tell a torque wrench from a not a torque wrench, so that's my mechanical acumen. Any suggestions on beginners guide to motorcycle maintenance and repair etc.?

For now, my suggestion is get a used 125 or 250cc Japanese (Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha) motorcycle that's 1 to 5 years old and only worry about maintenance stuff if something goes wrong, learn to ride first and get proper experience on a small bike, and solve maintenance issues as they come up, don't try and front load all the maintenance knowledge before you even know how to ride properly.

If/when something goes wrong, just search on youtube how to fix it. E.g. "change battery on Honda CB125F" and follow the instructions.

Oh and get a full face helmet.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

Appreciate the wisdom and glad I asked. This thread & the new bike thread have been my brain candy. Re: the helmet, the course does usually provide all gear however it's not clear with covid. I've read in a few places that they're asking people to bring their own gear. I'm anticipating riding beyond the course so I think it will be worth it to get my own gloves & helmet.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just so there is another shovel on the pile: get a full-face helmet.

Budget for a jacket, pants, and boots alongside your first bike. Including helmet and gloves, expect to spend $600-1000 on gear. This forum is good for recommendations and people love to try to sell you on their gear of choice.

Current thought with regard to smaller cruisers is that the Honda Rebel 300 or 500 is well-built, has good ergonomics, handles well, and is forgiving for new riders. However, wait until you’ve passed the course and see what you think about the bikes you have an opportunity to ride there. If it’s a small dual sport (likely), you might find you love them.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

mincedgarlic posted:

Appreciate the wisdom and glad I asked. This thread & the new bike thread have been my brain candy. Re: the helmet, the course does usually provide all gear however it's not clear with covid. I've read in a few places that they're asking people to bring their own gear. I'm anticipating riding beyond the course so I think it will be worth it to get my own gloves & helmet.

Call and make sure what they provide and they require.

The thing is, you might hate it. And having sunk several hundred dollars on gear for something you're not going to do kind of sucks.

The second part is that the MSF course, while excellent, is unlikely to have you go much faster than 30 mph or so. Yes, you could have a catastrophic accident and lose your hands without proper gloves, but I don't think it's likely. The fact that they let you wear jeans is kind of indicative of the danger level.

Third, wearing comfortable, broken in gloves is going to give you a better experience.

Ideally you have a friend who can let you borrow some decent equipment. But I hope you have fun and you love it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Just so there is another shovel on the pile: get a full-face helmet.

This tale of woe I saw on Reddit today is an excellent example of why not to not get a modular / flip up helmet, let alone one of those stupid brainbuckets (warning, it's not a pleasant read) and to buy a good full face one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/jz6yg5/spend_the_fucking_money/

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

This tale of woe I saw on Reddit today is an excellent example of why not to not get a modular / flip up helmet, let alone one of those stupid brainbuckets (warning, it's not a pleasant read) and to buy a good full face one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/jz6yg5/spend_the_fucking_money/

Not a pleasant read but a pretty succinct summary of the point. I found the HJC helmet recommended below as a jumping off point and many others in the range that seem to meet the mark. I very much appreciate the frank advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I really like my HJC IS-17 (which is last years model, 2020's one is called the i70). It wasn't expensive (£150 or so) and is very comfortable in its XXL size for my enormous and round head.