Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nocheez posted:

The bugs in the health refill thingie are especially heinous to look at.

I avoided using the grubs to heal whenever possible and mostly got by on syringes

poor cute little guys

that machine is monstrous but absolutely amazing design and perfectly in-universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PantsBandit posted:

The lack of racing games and flight games is one of the strangest things about VR to me. Ace Combat did a small VR thing for PSVR and it was an absolute blast. Been chasing that high ever since.

There's an absolute poo poo ton of racing games and flight games in VR? what are you talking about?

Probably the most popular genre there is right now! I could rattle off dozens.

Its just... niche. Ever since the 2000s flight sims have been uber niche. Most people dont' care about them at all, after the DOS era.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brownie posted:

I love racing sims and like flight sims, but either in VR make me tremendously sick almost immediately. I tried Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR just a few days ago and after about 40 seconds I was more ill than I've ever been with VR, and it lasted the entire evening. Dirt was probably one of the worst choices to get started with too, whoops.

I'd love to spend more time playing these games in VR, where it's such an amazing thing to be able to look around freely and get a real sense of scale and speed, but I just get too sick :cry:

That's unfortunate. I find racing and flight games to be some of the most comfortable, since you're sitting in a cockpit that isn't moving. The world outside you is all that moves, and I'm already totally comfortable with driving a car that does the same body/physics trick.

Do you get motion sickness from driving, or reading a book in a car? :smith:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mr Phillby posted:

My complaint was that there are barely any on the Quest store specifically.

The issue there I think is that these kinds of sims tend to value a pretty decent level of graphic fidelity. I think given the fact that you are "stuck" in your cockpit (not moving around) and the sense of speed is frequently the point, PCVR is an obvious choice over Quest.

Quest 2 might give a bit more oomph to make it more attractive as a mobile platform.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The design of the bug health recharges in Alyx are one of the most convincing things I have seen in VR. Like, it's such a gross looking thing to be beautiful, but the way the guts squish out and you can actually see the parts of the bug that prevented the goop from blocking it, like someone's face pressed against a window. It looks almost real*

I'm not a graphics whore in normal games but thats the reason it is the #1 thing I care about most in VR. Even over interactivity.

*I probably did a really bad job of explaining that. It's hard to describe lol.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Zaphod42 posted:

There's an absolute poo poo ton of racing games and flight games in VR? what are you talking about?

Probably the most popular genre there is right now! I could rattle off dozens.

Its just... niche. Ever since the 2000s flight sims have been uber niche. Most people dont' care about them at all, after the DOS era.

Well the reason why flight sims haven't been around isn't from lack of interest, the new MS Flight Sim should prove that to be false, but as computers have got more powerful the ability to simulate the aircraft has the ability to be much more realistic. The problem is it takes a LOT of work, money and time. Most publishers aren't willing to fund that kind of development now even though flight sims are very evergreen in terms of sales. Although with the success of MS Flight Sim you might see a major publisher or two try to stick their toes in that arena again, especially since VR is becoming more affordable and mainstream.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Djarum posted:

Well the reason why flight sims haven't been around isn't from lack of interest, the new MS Flight Sim should prove that to be false, but as computers have got more powerful the ability to simulate the aircraft has the ability to be much more realistic. The problem is it takes a LOT of work, money and time. Most publishers aren't willing to fund that kind of development now even though flight sims are very evergreen in terms of sales. Although with the success of MS Flight Sim you might see a major publisher or two try to stick their toes in that arena again, especially since VR is becoming more affordable and mainstream.

Nah, its a small market too. Flight Sim got some attention but... how many of the non-niche-flight-nerds are still talking about it? The new tech where you can go anywhere on the Earth is the only thing that really caught the attention of the mainstream, but interest fizzled out pretty fast since the game has basically nothing to do other than be a flight sim.

If it had a campaign mode, people would probably buy in way more, but then it wouldn't be MS Flight Sim. But even flight games with campaigns mostly aren't that popular.

Look at Squadrons. It has the star wars license and is still nowhere near as big as like, Battlefront or any other AAA FPS game. And look at how many people hopped in because of Star Wars and then complained that you had to roll to turn, those people just flat don't want to play that kind of game.

But the VR market is ever growing and flight sims are some of the coolest things in VR so who knows what the future holds.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
I tried out V-Speedway from sidequest, and as soon as I took a couple corners I had to bail out of the headset, it was by far the worst anything's affected me, I figured I'll try again once I get some better VR legs? Smooth locomotion still gets me somewhat swimmy feeling in general, though something about the way Echo Arena works makes it the most comfortable non-stationary game I've tried.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Davedave24 posted:

I tried out V-Speedway from sidequest, and as soon as I took a couple corners I had to bail out of the headset, it was by far the worst anything's affected me, I figured I'll try again once I get some better VR legs? Smooth locomotion still gets me somewhat swimmy feeling in general, though something about the way Echo Arena works makes it the most comfortable non-stationary game I've tried.

Not all racing sims are created equal. V-Speedway looks pretty indie and a little jank. Famously Drive Club on PSVR felt awful, even though other PSVR racing games didn't feel the same way. Things about how the camera moves around inside the cockpit and how consistent the frame timing are can make huge but subtle differences to how it feels.

Echo Arena is a pretty good demo of why arm-swinging or climbing (or the gorilla movement system a goon demo'd ITT) all feel better than other forms of artificial locomotion like stick movement, because you're still directly in control of moving 1:1 with your body moving instead of some artificial stick, you can better get a feel of what direction you're about to move and your brain isn't as surprised by it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Faux Mulder posted:

Boy, this definitely sounds like a company that has big exciting plans for VR content, huh. Can't wait to see the, uh, meaningful component of interactive entertainment Sony have in store... at, um, some stage... this year? No. Next year? No. But definitely at, uhm, at some point in the future. We believe in it, though, that's for sure.

I mean, I'd love to be shown wrong (I own a PSVR and had a couple of months of decent use out of it), but if Sony genuinely want to get into VR content in a big way, I don't really think they've got two years before they're left behind.

i'm very late but: honestly i don't think this is bad news from sony

i think what's happening here is, they're realizing they kinda jumped in too early with PSVR and as a result it was pretty tech-limited. it seems like Sony's pulling back and waiting for the tech to get a little less wild-west so that when they develop and release PSVR2 it's at least at parity with whatever Oculus etc are putting out, if not an improvement, vs PSVR1's situation of "kinda jank headset, Move controllers are hot garbage, limited game selection"

holding off for a while during a period of rapid development from the companies that are more all-in on VR, to see what they come up with and what the landscape looks like in a couple years, makes sense when you consider their first attempt's flaws

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
space pirate trainer is great

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zaphod42 posted:

Please dial back the aggro stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shine posted:

Please dial back the aggro stuff.

Really wasn't meant to be aggro, but sorry.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

It's cool :)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I know Zaphod is just a passionate person.

I've also just recently removed the shackles of the quest store so that's why my experience with cockpit games has been so limited.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
*Squadrons-ing intensifies.*

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Corbeau posted:

*Squadrons-ing intensifies.*

I'm so glad they fixed the VR poo poo.

And they dropped a massive patch yesterday to address some balancing stuff and exploits. The launch was rough, but they're putting a lot of effort into fixing poo poo, which is good to see.

Now add the quick mission builder thingy from X-Wing Alliance, and yes I will pay $50 for it as DLC I don't care just gimme gimme gimme.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The alliance might actually win more than 30% of the time now. Tie bombers got nerfed pretty bad, the mosquito tactic is suicide now, and you're pretty likely to take a cannon to the face if you try to ion torpedo snipe from 1500 meters.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Shine posted:

I'm so glad they fixed the VR poo poo.

And they dropped a massive patch yesterday to address some balancing stuff and exploits. The launch was rough, but they're putting a lot of effort into fixing poo poo, which is good to see.

Now add the quick mission builder thingy from X-Wing Alliance, and yes I will pay $50 for it as DLC I don't care just gimme gimme gimme.

If they add a way to make missions I'll finally bite the bullet and get the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm scared to jump back into squadrons. Even after a couple of weeks it was 75% skylords. I feel like I'm just gonna get wrecked after not playing for a month.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I'm scared to jump back into squadrons. Even after a couple of weeks it was 75% skylords. I feel like I'm just gonna get wrecked after not playing for a month.

Just jump in.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
So I got Squadrons and I wanted to play that in VR but but but I'm having trouble with the NLink, it keeps crashing the oculus app or causes it to go into a loading icon and then do nothing. Or it straights up crashes, restarts, crashes, restarts, crashes.

I tried a few different cables, even plugged it directly into the video card, but nope, no matter what it just keeps having the oculus symbol loading or crashes. I feel like just smashing the darn thing.

I already had the oculus app do a repair the other day by redownloading everything again.

So am I missing something here or am I making some dumb mistake. Tried to look online for any clues of what to do but the little I did find didn't work.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

The Last Call posted:

So I got Squadrons and I wanted to play that in VR but but but I'm having trouble with the NLink, it keeps crashing the oculus app or causes it to go into a loading icon and then do nothing. Or it straights up crashes, restarts, crashes, restarts, crashes.

I tried a few different cables, even plugged it directly into the video card, but nope, no matter what it just keeps having the oculus symbol loading or crashes. I feel like just smashing the darn thing.

I already had the oculus app do a repair the other day by redownloading everything again.

So am I missing something here or am I making some dumb mistake. Tried to look online for any clues of what to do but the little I did find didn't work.

Did you do the speed test in the oculus software first?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

DrBox posted:

Did you do the speed test in the oculus software first?

I can't do the test if the entire oculus app crashes and restarts only to go into infinite loading mode or crash/restart etc as soon as I power on the Quest while it's connected to the PC.

Or is there another way to do said test.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 6, 2020

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
After avoiding Onward for a long time because of how serious and hardcore it seemed, a friend of mine convinced me to pick it up and three of us just did 3v24 bot stomps for a couple hours and it was insanely fun! Had I known you could do private co-op I probably would have grabbed it ages ago. I’d recommend it for anyone with buddies to play with, even if the hardcore nature is a bit off putting. I might even work my way up to playing against real people.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

The Last Call posted:

I can't do the test if the entire oculus app crashes and restarts only to go into infinite loading mode or crash/restart etc as soon as I power on the Quest while it's connected to the PC.

Or is there another way to do said test.

I misread and thought Squadrons was crashing. That sounds bad. Do you have any other things running like Oculus tray tools? I guess try a ticket with Oculus support although they will probably tell you to reinstall everything.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

PantsBandit posted:

The lack of racing games and flight games is one of the strangest things about VR to me. Ace Combat did a small VR thing for PSVR and it was an absolute blast. Been chasing that high ever since.

Every major sim, and a fair number of arcade titles, have VR support. The real issue is that there aren't many arcade racers nor flight sims anymore.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Zaphod42 posted:

That's unfortunate. I find racing and flight games to be some of the most comfortable, since you're sitting in a cockpit that isn't moving. The world outside you is all that moves, and I'm already totally comfortable with driving a car that does the same body/physics trick.

Do you get motion sickness from driving, or reading a book in a car? :smith:

Not from driving, but if I am a passenger in a hot car or reading a book, I do indeed get nauseated :smith:

I think playing H3VR with arm swinger has gotten my brain mostly used to translation forwards, but rotation of my reference frame is still a big no no.

It’s also interesting to me that looking away from the front when playing flying games really seems to exacerbate it, even if the plane is in an other wise gentle turn that I’m fine with.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Last Call posted:

Did you sideload the 90Mhz change? That causes link to crash immediately.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What would you guys put on the same tier as HL:A? Not necessarily AAA but fully fleshed out experiences that feel like full games and not tech demos.

Until You Fall is real cool but even that feels pretty simplistic once you've grasped the gimmick.

Waking Dead is alright but tbh most of the experience of playing that game is just wandering around putting trash into a backpack.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

What would you guys put on the same tier as HL:A? Not necessarily AAA but fully fleshed out experiences that feel like full games and not tech demos.

Until You Fall is real cool but even that feels pretty simplistic once you've grasped the gimmick.

Waking Dead is alright but tbh most of the experience of playing that game is just wandering around putting trash into a backpack.

as much as i felt that alyx had shallow as gently caress gameplay (despite the awesome everything else), there really isn't an experience as polished and well rounded. it's a shame, there's just not enough investment into vr.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Lone Echo for singleplayer and Echo Arena for multiplayer. Lone Echo's gameplay isn't super deep, since it's focused on the movement and story, but in the same way Half Life 2 and the episodes nailed the interactions with the characters (especially Alyx), Lone Echo did that in VR with Liv which absolutely takes things to the next level.

I seriously recommend everyone play it. It might not be for you, but if it is, it'll convince you that there's an unbelievable potential for interpersonal reaction and storytelling that has barely been tapped yet.

And Echo Arena is straight up just a sport and it loving owns

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

It’s a polarizing opinion but I’ll say Boneworks. For as safe and conservative as Alyx was, Boneworks is the exact opposite. It just lets you do everything. Climb it all, smash zombies (robots? Androids? I dunno) with your empty clip, stab things, parry ball lightning, use a rifle as a crowbar. It’s all there

That means it’s janky sometimes, but man is it cool

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

PantsBandit posted:

only have a few hours in this so far but I went in with the expectation that it would be very arcadey and not at all "fighting sim" like the blade and sorcery and others. in that sense it has not disappointed, I feel like it's pretty good for what it has set out to be. I've heard complaints that it isn't "vr enough" because the interactivity is low. it's about as interactive as beat saber or the like so I am not sure how that makes it less vr.

as for the actual gameplay I feel like it's weak as a roguelike but it works fine enough. the medium is still very young and we are seeing some solid games of good quality coming through already.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

I think Superhot feels like that, though its not super deep. Then you get into games with VR overlays. The Forest is a really good experience with a good VR implementation, though it does become noticeable that VR was not the game's intent. Payday 2 is similar, that's a full game that has pretty well done VR. No Man's Sky is another, though the VR is more of a pain in the rear end due to the menu-heavy game. Elite Dangerous if you want to get your space sim on.

If you have friends, Star Trek Bridge Crew is a lot of fun. Its far from AAA but it does it's thing really well. Similar with Iron Wolf. Those are probably straying away from what you're looking for though.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

huh yeah. Elite Dangerous certainly feels like an AAA space trucking simulator. very niche but very well made

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brownie posted:

Not from driving, but if I am a passenger in a hot car or reading a book, I do indeed get nauseated :smith:

I think playing H3VR with arm swinger has gotten my brain mostly used to translation forwards, but rotation of my reference frame is still a big no no.

It’s also interesting to me that looking away from the front when playing flying games really seems to exacerbate it, even if the plane is in an other wise gentle turn that I’m fine with.

Yeah my GF is the same way. She used to think she hated VR but its just because she has a narrow IPD and didn't account for it previously. I've gotten her to enjoy some VR on my Index now, although she suffers from serious motion sickness in cars so she was only able to make a couple laps around COTA in my sim rig before she bugged out.

But it is something you should be able to train yourself on slowly, just don't push it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Boneworks, although its not half as polished as Alyx. But its the only VR game I can think of that had as full of a campaign as Alyx.

I guess Arizona Sunshine counts too

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I've gotten much better about motion sickness over time. Smooth locomotion is no real issue for me anymore, but smooth rotation is A HARD no. Just don't force yourself. If you start to feel even slightly nauseous, take a break right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Quest 2 trip report: no screen dooring. Visuals are just so much nicer than my Rift CV1. The wireless streaming works perfectly even though I'm a couple rooms away from my wireless router. At this point the only significant complaint I have is how uncomfortable the default strap is. I've adjusted it a few times and this thing just presses too hard on my face. Had to order a better strap (not the official elite one), still waiting for it to ship. If that doesn't work, I'll try counterweights on the back, since even just pulling the back strap down a little bit eases the pressure on the face a lot. I also really like the feature where you can tap the side of the headset twice to activate passthrough so I dont have to awkwardly shove the headset up onto my forehead when I need to see in real life again. The controller-less hand tracking isn't ready for primetime gesture-recognition-wise, but it was easily tracking most of my finger movements which was neat.

This thing is gonna be the surprise hit of the holiday season I bet. $300, doesn't need a gaming pc but has an incredible experience to offer if you do have one.