Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/AndrewRosindell/status/1323824097973964800?s=20

Tories rules so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Speaking of chemistry, why *do* they use nitrous oxide for whipped cream instead of just plain nitrogen? I know why they can't use carbon dioxide or oxygen, but it seems like nitrogen would work just as well? Is this just food scientists like to party and found a way of making hippy crack cheaply and easily available?

(thought occurred to me as I tripped over yet another of those bloody cylinders just now)
Like all anesthetics, it dissolves well in fats. Also can be stored as a liquefied gas.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I wish Biden and Harris were 1% as left-wing as the fash believe (or at least claim) they are

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

I wish Biden and Harris were 1% as left-wing as the fash believe (or at least claim) they are

Speaking of:

quote:

Congresswoman Abigail Spanberger, a moderate Democrat of Virginia, unloaded on some of her colleagues during a caucus call this afternoon, according to multiple reports.

Spanberger leads in her race by just 1 point right now, and she blamed the close result on effective attack ads from her opponent based around some Democrats’ calls to “defund the police”.

“We need to be pretty clear,” Spanberger said. “It was a failure. It was not a success. We lost incredible members of Congress.”

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/1324439295847968768

1. The right wing gets the exact candidate they want
2. Candidate does poo poo
3. "Clearly the left wing of our party are to blame"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

WhatEvil posted:

Speaking of facebook bullshit, my brother's partner, a nurse and somebody I thought to be quite reasonable, aged around 40-45, just posted a thing that was like:

and ended with:

Pure loving boomer poo poo.

If you were born in 1985 you've been through a recession in the 90s, one in 2008 which let's be realistic, is not actually done for 98% of people because wages haven't recovered, now covid, plus the gulf war, iraq war, all kinds of other shite, the mass privatisation of natural monopolies, utterly ballooning house prices...

But "maybe it's time to be less selfish". gently caress off. As if a 25 year old only has problems like amazon packages or instagram. And even if they do freak out when they don't get likes on their posts, who did that to them? Who created an environment where people's mental health is so hosed that these things stress them out?

Graaaaaarhawdjapjwomcpopoanwndnn'znsd}[[#z#[dawd;

All those 120-year-old boomers who fought in both world wars have my full respect.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Surprised they're so down on 'student politics' given all the nastiest (and therefore the 'in crowd') people on the right of the labour party were former labour students.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fooling slots chat:

When I lived in Germany in the 1970s, there was a chip machine (yes really - put in your 1DM and get out a toasty hot bag of chips - as in British chip shop style, not skinny fries or crisps) and the option to squirt mayonaisse over them. Anyway, we soon discovered that a 10p piece (old ones not the new smaller ones) would fit the slot and at the time 1 DM was worth about 35p.

Also, the bus ticket validation machines on German buses could be fooled with a wrigleys chewing gum wrapper. Often saw British schoolboys being hauled off the bus between two burly plain-clothes cops having been caught out doing that trick.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

fooling slots chat:

When I lived in Germany in the 1970s, there was a chip machine (yes really - put in your 1DM and get out a toasty hot bag of chips - as in British chip shop style, not skinny fries or crisps) and the option to squirt mayonaisse over them. Anyway, we soon discovered that a 10p piece (old ones not the new smaller ones) would fit the slot and at the time 1 DM was worth about 35p.

Also, the bus ticket validation machines on German buses could be fooled with a wrigleys chewing gum wrapper. Often saw British schoolboys being hauled off the bus between two burly plain-clothes cops having been caught out doing that trick.

gently caress me where has this technology gone

why don't i have a chips machine on the corner

gently caress it put one in my house

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guavanaut posted:

Like all anesthetics, it dissolves well in fats. Also can be stored as a liquefied gas.
Expanding on this one, it follows in reverse. Any reasonably non-toxic gas that you could store as a compressed liquid that dissolved well in fats would also very likely be a decent inhalational anesthetic, and I can only think of a few, propane, butane, cyclopropane, methoxyethane maybe, and those all vary from very flammable to ridiculously flammable, and would impart unpleasant smells or tastes to the cream.

So nitrous oxide is really the least bad option as it's non-flammable (though can intensify fires/Vin Diesel movies) and all of the other options would have your cream stinking of petrol and possibly on fire, and errant hoodies or whoever we're scared of now could still use them to get a quick high, as it was with lighter gas canisters.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Surprised they're so down on 'student politics' given all the nastiest (and therefore the 'in crowd') people on the right of the labour party were former labour students.
They hate what they see in their past selves.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I lived in Germany in the 1970s, there was a chip machine (yes really - put in your 1DM and get out a toasty hot bag of chips - as in British chip shop style, not skinny fries or crisps)
This is an amazing idea.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

and the option to squirt mayonaisse over them.
This is the third worst thing that Germany has done.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Check out the #hmpfallowfield hashtag on twitter if you want cheering up. University of Manchester tried to gulag students. Students had absolutely none of it. Good on em.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh I guess you could use Freon or something but that also has inhalational anesthetic effects and causes organ damage and also knackers the ozone and is banned as a propellant so lol.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

mediaphage posted:

WHY DO BOOMERS LOVE MINIONS SO MUCH

i don't get it, i just don't

they're the most annoying loving things, it's like cartoon furby (i know, i'm dating myself)

I can't stand them but one of my friends (she IS a boomer, I'm a boomer/X cusper - sounding astrological here!) loves them.

Vrih
Apr 4, 2004
:)
Very odd video from BBC on traffic before and after lockdown https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-54833769. The first few clips make sense - show the same street on the 4th November vs the 5th, and then bizarrely they compare traffic at Piccadilly Circus, always busy, to the bus and taxi only part of Oxford Street. Is it some odd Government mandate to pretend that all Londoners have stayed at home and that the people of Birmingham are savages that don't understand lockdown?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

namesake posted:

Manchester uni students were fenced in earlier today and knocked down the fence tonight

https://twitter.com/BenMcGowan_/status/1324449065409662978?s=20

The rent strikes are definitely going places.

All those good photos and Guardian goes with 'doughiest student alive'

and manages to not even mention the rent strike in the article.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The revolution needs lardasses too. Also speaking personally if you have to shift something being able to chuck your body weight at it is generally a plus :v:

You'll never shift a fence if all you have is small waif students, you need a powerful chonker student to give it some welly.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Vitamin P posted:

All those good photos and Guardian goes with 'doughiest student alive'

and manages to not even mention the rent strike in the article.

how many times does the article mention that they have a large contingent of labour supporters at university there, tho :V (i didn't read it i'm just assuming)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I have a politically active friend who now goes to Manchester for postgrad, I should check and see if they're OK...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Expanding on this one, it follows in reverse. Any reasonably non-toxic gas that you could store as a compressed liquid that dissolved well in fats would also very likely be a decent inhalational anesthetic, and I can only think of a few, propane, butane, cyclopropane, methoxyethane maybe, and those all vary from very flammable to ridiculously flammable, and would impart unpleasant smells or tastes to the cream.

So nitrous oxide is really the least bad option as it's non-flammable (though can intensify fires/Vin Diesel movies) and all of the other options would have your cream stinking of petrol and possibly on fire, and errant hoodies or whoever we're scared of now could still use them to get a quick high, as it was with lighter gas canisters.

They hate what they see in their past selves.

This is an amazing idea.

This is the third worst thing that Germany has done.

Wrong. Mayonnaise on chips is really good.

therattle fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 6, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

therattle posted:

Wrong. Mayonnaise on chips is really good.

You're just making friends left right and center aren't you.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

It’s easy to have principles if they don’t cost you anything.
One of my best friends growing up was Dutch. I learned it from him. Mayo and ketchup together is really good too.

Would you like my views on circumcision?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

therattle posted:

Mayo and ketchup together is really good too.

Do we allow support for this kind of atrocity in the thread?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

therattle posted:

Mayo and ketchup together is really good too.

I was in a chippie today that boasted of serving a "frickled egg," which I can only assume is a deep fried pickled egg. Yet somehow, despite all reason and standards of taste, that abomination was not the worst food crime I've seen today

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that is "the true scotch egg"

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

therattle posted:

This reads like you have a really weird specific stance on circumcision that you are a passionate advocate for so obviously yes.

OwlFancier posted:

Do we allow support for this kind of atrocity in the thread?

They mix to a nice pink thing thats almost a kebab shop burger sauce, honestly I'd dip a chip or 2 in it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Niric posted:

I was in a chippie today that boasted of serving a "frickled egg," which I can only assume is a deep fried pickled egg. Yet somehow, despite all reason and standards of taste, that abomination was not the worst food crime I've seen today

Don’t knock it ‘til you try it (Mayo and Mayo+ketchup on chips). A frickled egg sounds absolutely revolting.

Vitamin P posted:

This reads like you have a really weird specific stance on circumcision that you are a passionate advocate for so obviously yes

It seems to be a forums hot-button issue that in reality I don’t really want to get into.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Vitamin P posted:

They mix to a nice pink thing thats almost a kebab shop burger sauce, honestly I'd dip a chip or 2 in it.

marie rose sauce is an english treasure, fanny cradock is spinning in her grave

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Like all anesthetics, it dissolves well in fats.

Is that why I'm so sleepy?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

gently caress me where has this technology gone

why don't i have a chips machine on the corner

gently caress it put one in my house

They had them in Blackpool for a while, it was quite a big thing. I think it might even have been on Tomorrow's World (remember when that was a hopeful name for a show, rather than evoking an image of a half-naked person screaming in a cave?).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Half naked and screaming in a cave sounds like quite a nice tomorrow to me. I'm between half and fully naked most of the time anyway and I like to scream and I like caves.

I'd rather scream half naked in a cave than go to work tomorrow that's for sure.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

It seems to be a forums hot-button issue that in reality I don’t really want to get into.

It's a forums hot-button issue because it's an American hot-button issue, what with America still routinely practicing circumcision when it's not religiously mandated or medically necessary.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

therattle posted:

It’s easy to have principles if they don’t cost you anything.
One of my best friends growing up was Dutch. I learned it from him. Mayo and ketchup together is really good too.

On chips?

And you don't see vending machines with hot fat in them as tipping them may set the place on fire.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 6, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't remember anyone on the forum talking about circumcision honestly, I'm sure I have once or twice but I can't actually remember it. Is it a big thing?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Half naked and screaming in a cave sounds like quite a nice tomorrow to me. I'm between half and fully naked most of the time anyway and I like to scream and I like caves.

I'd rather scream half naked in a cave than go to work tomorrow that's for sure.

I wonder if that bloke who wanted to employ a hermit to live in the grounds of his mansion ever found someone? It was apparently a quite fashionable thing in the Georgian era, and a lot of stately homes have hermit caves/shacks built in.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

therattle posted:

Would you like my views on

No

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I can't remember anyone on the forum talking about circumcision honestly, I'm sure I have once or twice but I can't actually remember it. Is it a big thing?

It's slightly smaller than it was before, but some people claim it looks bigger as a result.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wonder if that bloke who wanted to employ a hermit to live in the grounds of his mansion ever found someone? It was apparently a quite fashionable thing in the Georgian era, and a lot of stately homes have hermit caves/shacks built in.

Do they expect you to go wander around naked or sit on a pole all day?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's slightly smaller than it was before, but some people claim it looks bigger as a result.

I knew that was going to happen the minute I posted.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Do they expect you to go wander around naked or sit on a pole all day?

The Georgians liked their hermits to jump out in front of them/their guests while walking the grounds and quote scripture, or give riddles, or just generally caper and gibber. IIRC this bloke was willing to let the hermit do what they want, but I can't find the story now.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

well, two out of three ain't bad

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I don't remember seeing any UKMT discourse on it but have comfortably assumed 'yo that's kinda hosed up to be cutting bits of kids dicks off without their consent' would be the thread take, and that assumption must have come from somewhere so maybe there has been circumcision chat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the only person I've ever encountered myself who seemed genuinely incensed about circumcision was an MRA who was also trying to claim MRAs weren't misogynists and rejecting any and all investigations into the issue because they were done by feminists or used feminists as a source or had looked at a feminist at some point

other than that, only that one Silent Hill wiki admin