Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes Jason Schreier’s review is basically ‘you might as well just wait’

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1324354939544621056?s=21

What if I only have the original Xbox One and want 4k graphics and faster load times? Seems like a good reason to get one, with having the advantage of Series X native games in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

The Grey posted:

What if I only have the original Xbox One and want 4k graphics and faster load times? Seems like a good reason to get one, with having the advantage of Series X native games in the future.

Yeah if you're on the original last-gen consoles then it's a no-brainer to upgrade. For the loading times alone.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yay, my amazon order changed to Arriving Tuesday.

I personally am pretty excited for mine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im already excited for the next two xboxes to be announced next summer

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Real hurthling! posted:

im already excited for the next two xboxes to be announced next summer

Xbox Series Xs
Xbox Series Sx

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

:pray:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I got an email from Best Buy that looked like a "let us know if your payment information changed" but it was actually requiring me to log in, re enter payment info, and press Submit in order to maintain my pre order.

I'm guessing they're trying to cull some orders

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I got an email from Best Buy that looked like a "let us know if your payment information changed" but it was actually requiring me to log in, re enter payment info, and press Submit in order to maintain my pre order.

I can't believe how many of you guys actually got your pre-order accepted. I spent hours trying to do it on multiples sites the minute pre-sales went live and ended up empty handed.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

The Grey posted:

I can't believe how many of you guys actually got your pre-order accepted. I spent hours trying to do it on multiples sites the minute pre-sales went live and ended up empty handed.

It was bizarre. I slept in that day, realized pre-orders had gone live two hours earlier, went to best buy dot com, clicked "add to cart", clicked "pay now", and it was done.

The stars aligned!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Weird, mine just took me to the same order page I usually see on their site and it had my card number up as I entered it before. Still 'awaiting authorization' at the moment.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

EL BROMANCE posted:

Weird, mine just took me to the same order page I usually see on their site and it had my card number up as I entered it before. Still 'awaiting authorization' at the moment.

(Re) enter your credit card information and make the payment. They're awaiting authorization, from you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just did it and it said accepted, I really hope the system is "If you update it now we'll run the payment straight away, otherwise we're just giving you a few days heads up in case you want to use a different card before we auto process it". If not, it's *really* badly worded and set up.

e: my bank card is showing *THREE* instances of it, that better resolve pronto because that'll go over that cards limit if they actually try it (also I don't want three of the drat things). And looking at it further, the first one appeared at 2am so I shouldn't have done that update. So anyone else in the same boat - check your card first!

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 5, 2020

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

He's specifically talking One S, it was recommended in the Physical Media thread as a UHD player.

As a One S owner I've never been wowed with it from a media player perspective (and you DEFINITELY need a remote because using a controller for that aspect is the goddamned worst), but I often see it recommended. Not sure if its people with personal experience who feel differently, or just parroting the old 'PS3 is a great blu-ray player' line for the new generation.

It's a native 4k player and has all the streaming options in apps and natively supports most sound options (ATMOS costs an extra 15 bucks or so, though which is lame)so you don't have to run it through a soundbar. It's a very good multi-purpose media player, especially if you're really only using it by yourself as it makes excellent use of headphones.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This is true, but as streaming continues to fragment and become more expensive I'm hoping people start turning to physical more. The image quality and knowledge that I actually own this thing is easily worth the minor tradeoff of having an object take up a bit of space on a shelf.

UHD, and its successors, will stick around at least until internet speeds in the US are fast enough to reliably stream whatever mode is the highest available in most of the country which will likely be a very long time if at all.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The Grey posted:

that day every Amazon link people gave out was hammered to death, but I then went on the phone app and did a search and it came up instantly. I'll definitely do that first in the future,

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

TheAnomaly posted:

It's a native 4k player and has all the streaming options in apps and natively supports most sound options (ATMOS costs an extra 15 bucks or so, though which is lame)

Just to be sure this isn't misunderstood, only the headphone version of Atmos costs extra, while "normal" Atmos is supported for free.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

That’s really impressive. Although, that’s on the Series S, won’t that a pretty big partition of space on the SSD to accomplish?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Xbox Series Xs
Xbox Series Sx

We can make it more confusion

Xbox Series X Serious
Xbox Series S Xperience

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
~160GB of SSD space is allocated for system operations and quick resume on all the new consoles.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Crafty posted:

Did the current gen feel like a huge generational leap to you tho? It definitely didn't to me. I was playing BF5 and Dead Rising 4

I feel like the quicker loading, the multi game quick resume, the launch backwards compatability, and the fact that all of those previous games will now play better make this more interesting than last gen.

I mean killzone Shadow fall wasn't a good game, but it looked like a generational leap from what the PS3 could do (and still looks better than the halo infinite stuff that was demoed) and I was playing it on a new console with a new controller that had a new UI, so yeah it felt like next gen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheAnomaly posted:

It's a native 4k player and has all the streaming options in apps and natively supports most sound options (ATMOS costs an extra 15 bucks or so, though which is lame)so you don't have to run it through a soundbar. It's a very good multi-purpose media player, especially if you're really only using it by yourself as it makes excellent use of headphones.

My personal biggest annoyance, beyond the controller which can be resolved at least, is at least my unit does not have a particularly good drive. I have multiple discs that I'm not aware that have any actual issues that absolutely refuse to work on it. While everyone else on Tuesday will be checking out games, my first disc will be a UHD copy of The Revanant to see if I can actually watch the bloody thing after owning it for 4 years ha.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Whats the first game everyone is going to play on their Series X?

Debating between Monhun on 4k mode, Gears Tactics (just played Wasteland3 though which will probs make this look like a turd) or Yakuza LAD

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
60fps Sekiro.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

hanyolo posted:

Debating between Monhun on 4k mode, Gears Tactics (just played Wasteland3 though which will probs make this look like a turd) or Yakuza LAD

Definitely watch doges since it runs like absolute rear end on the current X.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

hanyolo posted:

Valhalla.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yakuza 7 and its not even close

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hanyolo posted:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

holy poo poo flashbacks to pax years ago seeing this with a giant display thinking....This is what you're demoing?

Nothing has changed.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

hanyolo posted:

Gears Tactics is the new to me game that I'm most eager to play.

But equally likely chances of Jedi Fallen Order or a quick game or two of Fortnite to check out the improvements.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

hanyolo posted:

GTA4 and Morrowwind. Ever since I saw the DF vid of GTA4 running on the Series X at a locked 60FPS, I knew I had to play it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Yakuza 7 enhanced first. Also I put off my play through of Sekiro 1/3rd through when I decided to get the XSX. Gonna be very nice going from the One to the XSX.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'm planning to play Valhalla first, but want to set aside some time on launch day to mess around with 360 games like Dead Rising and RDR.

Also, I'm hoping Hades will come out soon, if not at launch. I've been holding off on playing it and saved up some Xbox bux.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Already got spoiled on some cooler emergent stuff and Helen being a terf irl :smith: but still excited to start Legion with mediocre raytracing

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Cyberpunk 2077 or whatever I have lying around depending on when I’m able to get an order in.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im not playing Cyberpunk until i get my series X which is currently not coming until december so that is the first game I will play on it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I don't care about Cyberpunk too much but I'll probably get it when the next gen enhancements are released.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

hanyolo posted:

I haven't decided, but will either be Valhalla or Sekiro at that sweet 60fps.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I have a copy of Valhalla already so I guess that.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

told myself I’ll buy an xbox sx if my job contract got renewed. I’ve owned myself :saddowns:

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Got an email that my Series X shipped today. However, it won't come early since MS told FedEx to hold it so I get it on the 10th. Oh well, I'll be playing Valhalla and WD: Legion on day one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
I'm not getting a Series X at launch, was only able to get a PS5 preorder.

But seriously I am not ready for either at all and there's nothing even remotely pressing to play on them. I think Valhalla is what my launch game will be (for PS5), even though I was hoping to start and finish Odyssey on my One X first but I haven't even started it yet.

Anyhoo, just posting this here because I like this thread and it's sensible, level-headedness. Also I have to buy some new furniture to accommodate the new consoles and I'm still not ready to move my Wii U out, so I'm not even sure how I'm going to set this bullshit up.

In other words, next-gen is annoying me.