Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

necroid posted:

I'll have to defer to you and your vet tech experience then. personally I think it's an extra layer of cruelty to add to the life of a predator confined in an apartment, but we'll just have to agree to disagree?

🙄

"Defer" and "agree to disagree" are mutually exclusive.

And cats do just fine in apartments. Space to go up, hidey holes, a variety of nice places to curl up, food, and love. That fella I posted earlier, rumbling loud enough to be heard on video, is in an apartment.

C'mon, man.

Bro Dad posted:

Cat update: is more aggressive than ever, is literally tearing up the carpet despite the entire apartment being covered in cat toys and scratching posts. I literally have to carry a can of compressed air on me at all times in case he attacks me, as the sound of it is the only thing that will stop him biting me. Also when attacks me he refuses to let go and will just munch on my hand as hard as he can, if I push him off he attacks my face in revenge. He was soo sweet at first and despite every piece of advice I've followed his behavior only continues to get worse. Guess cats just loving hate me and I shouldn't have one :(

Kitty sounds scared :(

Give him a wide berth. Keep you movements slow and deliberate. Give him secluded places to hide if he doesn't have them already. Minimise eye contact.

If you can afford it, get a Feliway diffuser. They emit "calm down, everything is chill, everything is fine" pheromones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necroid
May 14, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

And cats do just fine in apartments. Space to go up, hidey holes, a variety of nice places to curl up, food, and love. That fella I posted earlier, rumbling loud enough to be heard on video, is in an apartment.

C'mon, man.

yeah the discussion about indoors-outdoors always ends up being a shitstorm, considering that it depends heavily on where the cat is located. I didn't want to change the focus to that, and I'm not saying that one is inherently better than the other because there's a huge difference between an unsupervised cat in australian/north american outdoors vs an unsupervised cat outdoors here in a ~1700 yo city where the only fauna are rats in the sewers and rats in the sky.

what I meant is that it seems really selfish (to me) to justify the continued existence of extreme breeds like these, considering that I already pity 100% forced indoor cats and these sphynxes don't even have the luxury of enjoying the outdoors unless they're allowed to, by restoring what was taken from them (hair).

I can't help but feel like this and it felt really wrong (to me) to read something like the fact that them not having whiskers doesn't impact them at all.

I'm not a vet, I'm not a vet tech so I have to defer to someone who has more experience, even if personally it feels wrong and sad.

sorry if I sounded like an antagonizing rear end in a top hat, I let my personal feelings seep into the discussion.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Whiskers are a sense organ. You can decide they're not important, or less important than your joy at seeing a hairless cat, but they're definitely a sense organ.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

pidan posted:

Whiskers are a sense organ. You can decide they're not important, or less important than your joy at seeing a hairless cat, but they're definitely a sense organ.

Quills
Mar 24, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

This is Puddin.

Puddin is antisocial. She is very sweet to us, but hates anything that even looks like another cat. She hisses at our other cat any time she sees him, and she hisses, growls, and sometimes fights with our kittens. She also hisses at outside cats whenever she sees them in the window.

We started her on liquid Fluoxetine (aka Prozac) a little over a week ago to (hopefully) chill her out, but she HATES taking it. Any time she so much as thinks someone is approaching her with the syringe she runs and hides... which, I get it, I’ve taken Prozac myself and it is loving nasty, but it makes giving her her medicine a loving chore. She also doesn’t want to open her mouth when we do get ahold of her, and whenever we finally manage to get it into her mouth she smacks her chops a bunch and lets out a thick line of drool that just kinda hangs off her chin for awhile, which makes me wonder how much of the medicine is actually going into her.

Is there any way I can make it easier to give my cat her meds? Or any other ways to get her to not be a jerk to other cats?

Our cat recently was proscribed Fluoxetine in tablet form and hated it. She now happily takes it when I douse it in this repulsive goo from Inaba Churu. It's kind of like a fish flavored gogurt.
I put the pill in my hand, cover it with the goo and she's so excited to get the disgusting fish goop she doesn't notice the pill at all.

Maybe try mixing the liquid in with that or ask for the tablet and try it?

https://www.chewy.com/inaba-churu-grain-free-chicken-tuna/dp/169591

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hyperlynx posted:

If you can afford it, get a Feliway diffuser. They emit "calm down, everything is chill, everything is fine" pheromones.

With the caveat that while some people swear by Feliway, many others (like me) found it a waste of money that did nothing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I found Feliway worked for a limited time, but really, really didn't do much after the first few days.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hyperlynx posted:

Hmm. Out of my two seven-year-olds, Wolfgang's breath has always been pretty stinky, while his brother's isn't. Should I try to fix that? Should I be worried? :ohdear:

:doh:

I just remembered that the vet actually prescribed him dental food a while back. I couldn't give it to him because his brother would steal his food.

I've since fixed that problem, but had forgotten all about the dental food until I found it in my cupboard just now.

Sorry, Wolfgang :(

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sancho has some sort of open wound on his nose that just developed today. Definitely vet time, but should I cone him in the time being? I bought one and put it on but he was so miserable I caved. Now he's sleeping on top of the cone because he's a freak.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Is he actively scratching at it? Since it's on his face the cone wouldn't keep him from licking it open or anything. I'm thinking you probably don't need the cone unless you see him scratch at it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is he actively scratching at it? Since it's on his face the cone wouldn't keep him from licking it open or anything. I'm thinking you probably don't need the cone unless you see him scratch at it.

he was def scratching it before i put the cone on but hasn't since. probably traumatized from the cone tbh.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Took Sancho to the vet hospital as they were the only place in town that could see him today. Vet gave some antibiotics as he believes this could just be an underlying infection if it doesn't clear up in a week we have to do some exploratory diagnostics. For a polyp or the big c. Very upset and just crossing my fingers.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
crossing my fingers with you, poor Sancho :love:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sisqo Status: Still not gaining weight; still eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, running around, playing, begging for pets, and otherwise behaving like normal kitton.

EDIT:

Quills posted:

Our cat recently was proscribed Fluoxetine in tablet form and hated it. She now happily takes it when I douse it in this repulsive goo from Inaba Churu. It's kind of like a fish flavored gogurt.
I put the pill in my hand, cover it with the goo and she's so excited to get the disgusting fish goop she doesn't notice the pill at all.

Maybe try mixing the liquid in with that or ask for the tablet and try it?

https://www.chewy.com/inaba-churu-grain-free-chicken-tuna/dp/169591

gonna try this, thanks!

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 5, 2020

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You have a vet visit tomorrow, right? Mention that Sisqo's not growing, unless your estimate of his age is off, he should visibly be larger/heavier from week to week at this point in his life, like he would be 50% larger from week 8 to week 12, gaining on average a pound a month from weeks 8 -40. It might be as simple as needing more calories.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

rexie is a blessing on these forums and i thank you for sharing her with us

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Sooo... I just caught Seamus standing over his sister and biting her neck. Their spay/neuter appointment isn’t until next week :ohdear: (Should have been a couple weeks ago but the shelter hosed up and forgot to notify us about it).

Do I need to worry/keep them separated until we can get them in for the appointment? They’re a bit over four months and neither has exhibited sexual behavior before that I’ve observed. Luckily Renny seems completely unfazed by his inappropriate and incestuous advances - I don’t think she’s on the cusp yet (definitely no caterwauling or anything).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Edit: Don't listen to me :downs:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 6, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Queen Victorian posted:

Sooo... I just caught Seamus standing over his sister and biting her neck. Their spay/neuter appointment isn’t until next week :ohdear: (Should have been a couple weeks ago but the shelter hosed up and forgot to notify us about it).

Do I need to worry/keep them separated until we can get them in for the appointment? They’re a bit over four months and neither has exhibited sexual behavior before that I’ve observed. Luckily Renny seems completely unfazed by his inappropriate and incestuous advances - I don’t think she’s on the cusp yet (definitely no caterwauling or anything).

Yeah it's probably a good idea to separate them, cats can mate at 4 months.

explosivo posted:

My cats do this all the time, the bite-ee will usually whap the biter and they chase each other around for a while and that's it. They're kittens, so unless there's blood or things look particularly tense between them I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think this is how they learn how to play weirdly enough.

Nah this sort of dominance/sexual activity is really different from play.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
My vet just prescribed my cat Miralax for life. That is amazing. Hopefully that's all she needs to keep it movin.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah it's probably a good idea to separate them, cats can mate at 4 months.

Nah this sort of dominance/sexual activity is really different from play.

My bad, I haven't had to deal with two cats pre-spay/neuter so yeah I retract my statement.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Yeah their normal play fighting involves lots of bodily wrestling holds and kicking each other in the head. What I saw was definitely the beginnings of sexual behavior.

Seamus does seem to be a bit precocious - he’s gigantic for his age and is pretty thick through the neck and shoulders. Also pronounced fuzzy balls.

I’m hoping that Renny is NOT mature yet (haven’t seen any signs from her) and that she won’t get knocked up between now and Tuesday.

I can certainly separate them (just need to cat-proof my office) but Seamus gets separation anxiety when he’s closed off from Renny (or us) sometimes and gets vocal and destructive. Renny doesn’t care. It will be kind of sucky for everyone for a few days.

edit: oh yeah, he’s earned himself a new nickname: Seamie Lannister

Queen Victorian fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 6, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Queen Victorian posted:

I’m hoping that Renny is NOT mature yet (haven’t seen any signs from her) and that she won’t get knocked up between now and Tuesday.

I mean, you don't that want to happen, for sure. But if she IS pregnant now, the spaying on Tuesday will make that a non-issue by effectively terminating any pregnancy. Pregnancy or not though you probably don't want your brother cat humping your sister cat, so... Yeah, separate them.

That said, some male cats keep doing the mounting thing after being neutered, even to other male cats. It seems to be a dominance thing. If you see it happen, it's not harmful or traumatic or anything to the mountee, but it's a bit awkward for any humans watching.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 6, 2020

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Oyster posted:

My vet just prescribed my cat Miralax for life. That is amazing. Hopefully that's all she needs to keep it movin.

Hello fellow cat with constipation haver!

Our little dude is struggling with (we think) stress induced constipation, and the one medication he just refused to eat (in liquid form mixed in with food, or in soft chew form) was the gabapentin meant to relax his innards. Hopefully the vet will have some other ideas... We're reluctant to force the liquid into his mouth as he's only just starting to trust us and let us give him scritches and pets, I really don't want him being terrified of us again!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That said, some male cats keep doing the mounting thing after being neutered, even to other male cats. It seems to be a dominance thing. If you see it happen, it's not harmful or traumatic or anything to the mountee, but it's a bit awkward for any humans watching.

Yeah, Smoke, the big old boy I used to have would occasionally dominate a couple of my other cats this way and would also occasionally attempt to hump even though everyone involved was a boy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

my cat is norris posted:

rexie is a blessing on these forums and i thank you for sharing her with us

:kimchi:

Her reaction to hearing she is appreciated.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What's the best age to get a female cat neutered? My GF asked the vet to do it and they said NEIN not until she is 6 months old. Is that OK? I heard that it's bad for her to go into heat before she has the op.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

What's the best age to get a female cat neutered? My GF asked the vet to do it and they said NEIN not until she is 6 months old. Is that OK? I heard that it's bad for her to go into heat before she has the op.

The most common advice nowadays is to do it as early as you can. However, that's mostly to make sure the cat doesn't get pregnant before she can be neutered.
The six months standard is because that's the age where putting her under anesthesia is easy and safe. But anesthesia for smaller kittens has improved a lot in the last years and is usually not a problem.

Some people think a cat should go into heat before being spayed so that her sex organs can develop fully, but most people don't think that's important.

Many cats don't go into heat before they're six months old anyway.

pidan fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 6, 2020

necroid
May 14, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

I've been told by multiple vets that the best practice is to do it after their first heat, but I'm no expert

mine went in heat at 4 and a half months, I sure wasn't expecting it that early

pidan posted:

Some people think a cat should go into heat before being spayed so that her sex organs can develop fully, but most people don't think that's important.

yeah that's what I've been told, I think it's also a matter of having them reach at least a basic hormonal/development balance?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

So my husband and I chatted with his friend who is a vet and he said that since their appointment is in a matter of days to not worry about keeping them separate until then. He said that at four months and change it’s possible for them to reach sexual maturity but unlikely, and sometimes male kittens will start exhibiting mounting behavior before they can actually do anything. And even if in the off chance Renny did get knocked up, spaying would negate a pregnancy. Only reason to separate them would be if it grossed us out too much.

We will be keeping them separate for a day or so after their surgeries so they don’t hamper their recoveries by roughhousing.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

check out this manly catfood my partner bought

also my cat in her winter coat

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Queen Victorian posted:

So my husband and I chatted with his friend who is a vet and he said that since their appointment is in a matter of days to not worry about keeping them separate until then. He said that at four months and change it’s possible for them to reach sexual maturity but unlikely, and sometimes male kittens will start exhibiting mounting behavior before they can actually do anything. And even if in the off chance Renny did get knocked up, spaying would negate a pregnancy. Only reason to separate them would be if it grossed us out too much.

We will be keeping them separate for a day or so after their surgeries so they don’t hamper their recoveries by roughhousing.

Yeah probably the right advice based on the circumstances.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

kw0134 posted:

You have a vet visit tomorrow, right? Mention that Sisqo's not growing, unless your estimate of his age is off, he should visibly be larger/heavier from week to week at this point in his life, like he would be 50% larger from week 8 to week 12, gaining on average a pound a month from weeks 8 -40. It might be as simple as needing more calories.

Yeah I’m definitely gonna ask about that, especially since that’s the main reason I took him to the vet in the first place.

I think maybe he hates the kitten food we’ve been feeding him. I just ordered some Blue Buffalo wet kitten food off of Chewy (not the grain-free kind) so we can see if he likes that better. If not then there’s also a Royal Canin option and several dry kitten foods we can try. He loves eating out of the big dry food bowl we leave out for our other cats.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

pidan posted:

check out this manly catfood my partner bought

also my cat in her winter coat

All I see if a lion excited to eat their lion chow

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

necroid posted:

I've been told by multiple vets that the best practice is to do it after their first heat, but I'm no expert

mine went in heat at 4 and a half months, I sure wasn't expecting it that early

yeah that's what I've been told, I think it's also a matter of having them reach at least a basic hormonal/development balance?

I don't think there's any actual data supporting this, though. Besides, if they did 'reach a balance' it will immediately be thrown of by the fact that you're removing the thing that produces the hormones.

The more heat they experience the more likely they are to develop cancer or pyometria. So long as the tolerate the sedation its fine to do it young - they will develop just fine.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sisqo is now curled up in my lap, on his back, trying to eat his own back foot :3:

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I. M. Gei posted:

Sisqo is now curled up in my lap, on his back, trying to eat his own back foot :3:

person: im not a cat person
me: how?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

My mom sent me a video, her little orange kitten got into a paint tray and her place now has green footprints everywhere. It's adorable

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

my cat is norris posted:

I've never had to deal with these issues in my cats, so I'm quoting to maybe get more attention to your post.

Appreciate the bump. We're still figuring out what to do about our little Bean's stomatitis. The steroids the vet prescribed as a temporary relief have helped a lot for the time being, at least. No problems mixing the fish-flavored meds into his wet food. Knowing his issues we've been able to switch him over to only mousse wet foods, which he seems to handle a lot better. Poor guy still has wild mood swings from the pain but they're a lot less often now from what we can tell.

The other problem is his interactions with his brother Links. They were rescued together as a pair but got separated into different rooms when one had GI issues, so they hadn't seen each other for about a year until we brought them home. Bean started out extremely aggressive toward his brother and has only improved a little. We were hoping addressing the pain would show more improvement than it has. While he's actually started sniffing Links and even rubbing face to face briefly, moments later he'll attack pretty aggressively, claws out and fur flying.

We're not sure how much of that is how Links acts. He's extremely timid and submissive and has started laying on his back whenever Bean approaches him. Usually that just confuses Bean, who walks away. Links really wants to be friends and will follow him around but also has a staring problem which might be setting Bean off. We really don't know. We've been trying a Feliway multicat diffuser which may have helped a little but obviously wasn't the magic bullet we were hoping for.

Any experience with stomatitis and removing some/all of a cat's teeth, and tips for helping these guys get along, would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rear end in a top hat got into something and had to get a bath. He did better than normal, the howling didn't start until we were almost done and I didn't even get clawed.

He did pee in the tub though