Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Another topic: Please remember to liberally use spoilers when Dawnshard and Rythm of War come out. I know the thread usually resembles a redacted CIA document after book releases, but it's very important to avoid spoiling slower readers. Don't be that dick who spoiled the big payoff of Shadows of Self in unmarked spoilers less than a week after that book came out.

In addition to that I'd say try to mark your spoilers as to what chapters they're pertinent to, rather than just like "Oh half way through the book" in case others aren't quite there yet. I'm such a slow reader :saddowns:

And yea, you're on your own, Mordiceius ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

So someone just tell me. Elend Venture - is he cool or does he suck?

If someone explicitly asks for a spoiler just tell him the spoiler. Elend is cool.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Avalerion posted:

If someone explicitly asks for a spoiler just tell him the spoiler. Elend is cool.

I disagree, Elend is good and nice, but not cool. Spook is Cool :c00l:

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I couldn’t shake the feeling that Elend was a wish fulfillment character for book reading nerds like myself

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Subvisual Haze posted:

I couldn’t shake the feeling that Elend was a wish fulfillment character for book reading nerds like myself

I kind of got that as well, which is why I initially assumed that despite everything he was cool and good.

I feel like Kelsier is trying to set himself up as a savior/martyr figure.

He’s making a whole lotta noise and really trying to expand his reputation. While everyone around him assumes it is just because of his ego and how much he loves attention, I feel like he is going in to this intending to die but setting himself up so that the rebellion will see him as a martyr and only become more passionate with his death.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Is there any way you can listen faster? I’m TVIVing this and it’s so much fun.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

TheMadMilkman posted:

Is there any way you can listen faster? I’m TVIVing this and it’s so much fun.

Lol. I’m glad my constant posting hasn’t been annoying. I’ve just been listening to a few hours a day while doing deliveries. On chapter 21 right now. Hope to finish part three today.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Lol. I’m glad my constant posting hasn’t been annoying.

It's the polar opposite of annoying. Mistborn was my first Sanderson novel, and I wish that I could experience it again. Watching someone else go through the experience is so worthwhile.

It's like watching blind playthroughs of video games I love. I LOVE watching people play Breath of the Wild or Hollow Knight blind, because it's the closest I can get to experiencing my own initial playthrough again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

besides we need something until the new novella novel drops in a few hours

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

While I am loving this book, I do have a single criticism. The pacing is kind of funky? I just mean that there seems to be a whole lot more talking than there is action. I feel like there will be an action sequence and then the equivalent of 100 pages of characters just standing around and talking with each other. It makes me itch for more action.

Not to say it is bad. It just makes it feel like the book is 10% action and 90% people standing around and talking.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is a fair criticism of Sanderson's works. He's known for the "Sanderson Avalanche", where the last part of his book devolves into super frenzied action. It's pretty cool, but you pay for that with non-ideal pacing earlier in the books. He's gotten better about that in his latest works.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Torrannor posted:

This is a fair criticism of Sanderson's works. He's known for the "Sanderson Avalanche", where the last part of his book devolves into super frenzied action. It's pretty cool, but you pay for that with non-ideal pacing earlier in the books. He's gotten better about that in his latest works.

it's also why he was a good pick for ending wheel of time, since the boring buildup books had already been written for him

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I prefer the term Sanderstorm, personally :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, I’m excited to see how this all plays out. There have just definitely been moments where I feel like I’m tapping my foot waiting for something to happen.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tunicate posted:

it's also why he was a good pick for ending wheel of time, since the boring buildup books had already been written for him

Never thought about it this way, but it does make sense. Though I still maintain that RJ gets a somewhat unfair rep, since Knife of Dreams already resolves several longstanding plot threads, and lays the obvious groundwork for quite some more to end.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Is Wheel of Time any good? I feel like every teenager who is in the fantasy novels will at one point come to a cross roads. Down one path is the Wheel of Time. Down the other path, a path covered in spikes and filled with libertarians, is the Sword of Truth. I made the wrong choice when I was a teenager. I read The Sword of Truth, at least the original 11 books of it - hating the series by the end but having to see the conclusion. But I would often hear the books mentioned in the same breath (mainly accusing Goodkind of ripping off WoT when writing SoT).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tunicate posted:

besides we need something until the new novella novel drops in a few hours

I really wish I hadn't slept on the Kickstarter. When's it going to be available for the rest of us to buy? :saddowns:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mordiceius posted:

Is Wheel of Time any good? I feel like every teenager who is in the fantasy novels will at one point come to a cross roads. Down one path is the Wheel of Time. Down the other path, a path covered in spikes and filled with libertarians, is the Sword of Truth. I made the wrong choice when I was a teenager. I read The Sword of Truth, at least the original 11 books of it - hating the series by the end but having to see the conclusion. But I would often hear the books mentioned in the same breath (mainly accusing Goodkind of ripping off WoT when writing SoT).

Yes. It's longer, overly descriptive at times, and books 8-10 are slow as hell. But it's still my favorite series. And we have a thread for it!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897992&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mostly hate-read WoT but there are a lot of really cool parts to it. There's just way, way, WAY more that is boring as gently caress. Disclaimer: I switched to audio books after like book 5 but man I just can't focus on those while driving so a lot of things were lost on me.

I seem to recall Book 1 was written somewhat conclusively so to deliver a full story if the sequel(s) weren't greenlit. So you may as well give it a read if you're not compelled to go read more Sanderson after finishing Mistborn

e; Also while I don't frequent the WOT thread I do recall lots of plain-text spoilers because c'mon the series is pretty old at this point, so go there at your own risk.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I really wish I hadn't slept on the Kickstarter. When's it going to be available for the rest of us to buy? :saddowns:

next week

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Uh oh. Everyone is in Clubs’ shop cracking jokes. poo poo is about to get bad I feel.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

God Yiden is a dumbass.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Torrannor posted:

Sab669 posted:

I prefer the term Sanderstorm, personally :v:

The correct term is "Sanderlanche"! :eng101:

Mordiceius posted:

Is Wheel of Time any good?

WoT was ground breaking for its time. I would still rate it very good but it's not one I go back and reread from the beginning, because the middle is such a drag, plus Jordan had a lot of weird cringey gender stuff that is very offputting today. I'm pretty psyched for the screen adaptation, I hope it will be good!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Leng posted:

A lot of weird cringey gender stuff that is very offputting today

Sounds like Sword of Truth really did rip it off. :laffo:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

WoT is still great, but you will have to remember that 11/14ths of it was written by a white guy in the 90's who is not very subtle about his bdsm fetish and has weird ideas about gender dynamics. So there are a few bits you just have to roll your eyes at and skim over.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dawnshard is out for backers

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

WoT is still great, but you will have to remember that 11/14ths of it was written by a white guy in the 90's who is not very subtle about his bdsm fetish and has weird ideas about gender dynamics. So there are a few bits you just have to roll your eyes at and skim over.

Holy poo poo. WoT really is the same book as SoT. The protag of Sword of Truth is a Just Man who is always right, he is the Ayn Randian ubermensch and he keeps a bunch of BDSM ladies at his disposal that can torture people with wands.

BUT ENOUGH ABOUT lovely BOOKS.

I have finished Part 3 of Mistborn

I'm just going to put this all in spoiler tags because that way it's just one big block of black instead of an annoying CIA document.

Well Part 3 certainly ended with more of a whisper than a bang. I feel like this has to be the calm before the storm.

There's 8 hours left in the audiobook. That means I'm already almost 17 hours in. Despite being 2/3 of the way through this book, I feel like I could count the number of "major events" on one hand. Treslings farm, Camon's scamming, Kelsier attacking House Venture, Camon's crew getting wiped out, the infiltration of Kredik Shaw, and... that's about it.

There are certainly things happening in the background, but it's mostly spoken about. Not really shown to much detail. I do find it hilarious when a roadblock comes up and one character is like "Oh well this is a problem with the plan" and another character immediately offers a solution and things just keep moving.

I believe I'm right before the point where Kelsier is going to die. Dunno how/why that will happen, I hope it's cool and not stupid. From that point, I assume all the crew members are going to be like "welp" and go their separate ways, which will lead Vin to having no one. From there she'll go find Elend and they'll unite to overthrow everything. With only 1/3 of the book remaining, I could totally understand how a Sanderlanche is going to happen in that time.

Yiden is dead and boy was he a dumbass. I started to wonder if he would betray them or something. Turns out he just sucks and got everyone murdered. Not mourning his death at all. gently caress him.

I'm still very curious about Lord Reneaux and what his magical existence secret is. They mentioned something about bones at one point. Marsh seems cool and I hope he reappears in a big way.

Overall, boy did a whole lot not happen in Part 3.

Maybe it is just because I'm listening to an audiobook, but the writing in this is so breezy and easy that it feels like both a video game and a TV show all in one (just in the way that the writing for games and TV shows is often brisker/breezier than novels). Even with like Seyzin's storing abilities/attributes in metal. It's the most video game-rear end poo poo ever and I love it. I feel like it would be super easy to make a tabletop RPG set in this universe. There has to be one, right? If not - missed opportunity.

I feel like I'm at the point in the story where something needs to happen (which, I guess since I'm on chapter 26, that means Kelsier's death) to spark the next stages of the story. Because right now it's just like "Okay... and now what?"

Things I still want from this novel/series:
- To learn the secrets of/how to kill Steel Inquisitors
- To see the Pits of Hathsyn
- Reen to reappear/try to screw over Vin and Vin to dunk on him
- Something to happen with a Mist Wraith. They've been kind of... nothing? so far.
- Someone to push too hard with a metal in a way that fucks them up.
- Someone to use an impure metal and have things go fucky.
- I'd be curious to learn more about Vin's mother and why she went crazy, but I'm not sure if that's important or will get touched on again

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oh hey official rysn art

edit: spoilered for technically being spoilers for whatever stormlight book introduces Rysn, not that you'd really get much spoiled

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Who has jumped off the ship in that photo

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Just Man who is always right, he is the Ayn Randian ubermensch

Lol maybe you should read WoT, because that description is pretty much polar opposite of Rand, or any of the main cast.

Also I read about half of the first SoT novel and dropped that hot garbage like a rock, and nothing I have heard about that series has ever encouraged me to pick it up again. So I have no frame of reference there.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Daric posted:

Who has jumped off the ship in that photo

Lopen

Edit: ----v You are right. The flying figure has extra arms

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 6, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i think that's lopen standing there and his spren hovering above him

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

rndmnmbr posted:

Lol maybe you should read WoT, because that description is pretty much polar opposite of Rand, or any of the main cast.

Also I read about half of the first SoT novel and dropped that hot garbage like a rock, and nothing I have heard about that series has ever encouraged me to pick it up again. So I have no frame of reference there.

Same. I read the first 10 SoT books, and lol its nothing like the Wheel of Time. SoT just tried to rip the WoT story and characters then twist them to follow libertarian viewpoints

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mordiceius, you will soon learn what a Sanderson Avalanche is. Enjoy the ride.

Without comment on the accuracy of your predictions, I will say that you are a very astute listener/reader and have caught themes and ideas that I certainly missed on my first read. Please keep it up and get to the Stormlight Archive. You would be a great addition to the thread.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Mordiceius, you will soon learn what a Sanderson Avalanche is. Enjoy the ride.

Without comment on the accuracy of your predictions, I will say that you are a very astute listener/reader and have caught themes and ideas that I certainly missed on my first read. Please keep it up and get to the Stormlight Archive. You would be a great addition to the thread.

Thanks. I look forward to exploring the entire Sanderson collection.

Oh and unless I've missed something, they still haven't gone into detail on the two greater metals yet.

Listening to the audio book while doing deliveries has been just incredible. It makes the day fly by and I'm driving so I can easily focus on an audiobook with minimal distraction. Makes it feel like I'm barely working at all.

I'm also excited to finally see the Lord Ruler in the flesh. I like that we haven't even had a glimpse of him so far because it's been building that anticipation.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oh lol so Dawnshard spoilers are like, Secret History level big new cosmere information

from a post from sanderson on reddit just now (big big dawnshard spoilers, seriously)

mistborn
Annotation tidbit: Hoid was a Dawnshard at some point in the deep past, and the reason he (even still) cannot physically harm people, or even eat meat, is related to the changes this made to his spirit. (Consider this the same fundamental principle as savanthood.) The few of you who have read Dragonsteel know that him being a Dawnshard was also the source of his immortality in that book, though the terms were different back then. (The word Dawnshard was never mentioned, for example--though the primary story of Dragonsteel (which is no longer cannon) was about several people who unwittingly become Dawnshards.)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It’s taking a lot of self control not to click on those Dawnshard spoilers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I can't believe Hoid is vegan

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008
I finished Dawnshard, took me roughly 3 hours to read through all of it and while there is a lot to process, I am really looking forward to what happens in the future because of this book. It is definitely on par with a Secret History in terms of Cosmere level information that it dumps onto you. No spoilers for now but I kind of think that this book is actually kind of mandatory to read if you want to understand the Cosmere / what I assume the later 5 books will be about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

I think the thing I enjoyed the most about Dawnshard was that yes, we got Secret History level information, but in way that raises more questions and makes the Cosmere seem even more vast.

I assume there are four Dawnshards, and that there are four Shards for each Dawnshard? How do Dawnshards compare to their respective Shards, particularly in terms of power? Who are those the Sleepless are fighting against? I get the feeling they’re at a scope even greater than Odium, or at the very least separate from him.

There’s always another secret, indeed.