Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Nice thread title :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I was seriously considering a 3080, but I already have a 2080ti, and it seems like AMD might be coming out with something that meets or beats the 3000 series cards. Would be nice to put together an all AMD system once again.

I do wonder if AMD will be able to patch Nvidia, given their poor performance in the past.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
Most of the major TechTubers have their reviews up now, they all pretty much say the same thing, AMD spanked Intel hard this round.

As much as I want one right now I may wait a bit until Q1 and see if prices drop a hair. Plus, I already dropped a nice chunk of change on my daughter's new gaming PC for Christmas so I need to let my credit card cool down a bit. :P I'm tempted to swap out her 3600XT for a 5600X however-. Had to buy the 3600 as I didn't know what stock and supply were going to be like and I couldn't hedge my bets.

DrDork posted:

Yeah, they're legit one of the last places I can walk in and go "I need a thingermabob" and have a decent chance of finding it. Sure, it'll be $2 more than ordering it on Amazon, but I get it in my hand today, and I can see stuff like wiring colors and whatever else. They're a good store.

This exactly. Can't tell you how many times I needed a thingermabob but _didn't_ have the time to wait for Amazon (something broke, needs a replacement asap, etc) and then got what I needed from Microcenter. Love this place, it's like computer Disney World (if Disney was contained to the size of a store and a parking lot).

madjdmyo
Jan 10, 2007
I have a 3090 hooked up to a ultrawide monitor running at 3440 x 1440 160 Hz. I tried plugging in my LG CX TV using the HDMI 2.1 port at 4K 120 Hz but it only works when I turn off my main monitor. If I leave the monitor on, the TV shows the HMDI port as having no input. Is this a bandwidth issue or something? Anyone else in a similar boat that has been able to use both at the same time?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

jiffynuts posted:

I'm tempted to swap out her 3600XT for a 5600X however-. Had to buy the 3600 as I didn't know what stock and supply were going to be like and I couldn't hedge my bets.

Unless your daughter plays a lot of Civ6, the 5600X isn't enough of an upgrade vs a 3600XT to make it worth considering. You're talking like 10% in most cases, so she's not missing out on much unless she also likes to stream and compress videos while gaming, in which case I'd have other questions.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

madjdmyo posted:

I have a 3090 hooked up to a ultrawide monitor running at 3440 x 1440 160 Hz. I tried plugging in my LG CX TV using the HDMI 2.1 port at 4K 120 Hz but it only works when I turn off my main monitor. If I leave the monitor on, the TV shows the HMDI port as having no input. Is this a bandwidth issue or something? Anyone else in a similar boat that has been able to use both at the same time?

Sounds like a windows configuration thing. Unless there is an issue with the outputs on the card. If you do auto detect does it show both monitors? Does the Nvidia control panel detect it when the power is on?

Could potentially also be the input selected on the monitor?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If I somehow manage to get a 3080 in the week, would anyone still have a Watch Dogs code they might want to trade for Cold War? I don’t care about CoD but would enjoy farting around my home city on a drone.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ijyt posted:

If I somehow manage to get a 3080 in the week, would anyone still have a Watch Dogs code they might want to trade for Cold War? I don’t care about CoD but would enjoy farting around my home city on a drone.

Yeah, I think I've got one I'd be willing to trade.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i got my evga notification email just now but there is no unique buy link. It took me to the normal out of stock store page. Anyone else get this?
https://www.evga.com/community/myNotifies.asp was showing one of the notifies as yes, but its back to no so it was nothing. Back in line

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 5, 2020

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
EVGA did a goof

https://twitter.com/TEAMEVGA/status/1324414142132879360

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

DrDork posted:

Unless your daughter plays a lot of Civ6, the 5600X isn't enough of an upgrade vs a 3600XT to make it worth considering. You're talking like 10% in most cases, so she's not missing out on much unless she also likes to stream and compress videos while gaming, in which case I'd have other questions.

Yea, just gaming, nothing else. Also, I realized I should have posted it in the AMD thread. That's what I get for checking both threads at the same time.

I might consider picking up the 6800xt for myself, but I have a Gsync monitor (Dell S2716DG, 1440p, few years old), so I'm pretty sure the Gsync is not compatible with AMD cards. I'm contemplating losing GSync in the short term and buying something that does both Freesync and Gsync sometime next year (my second monitor is my old 1080p) . But that depends if I can even buy the 6800 when it comes in stock in a couple weeks. If I manage to score a 3080 in the coming weeks then it's all moot.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

NewFatMike posted:

There was some issue with Dell monitors and DisplayPort a few years back, and I think I'm encountering it with work, but I can't remember the relevant details. Anyone recall that?
Yes. Mine was (is?) one of them. But IIRC it was also more fussy with specific cards.

My 980 had problems with DP, but worked fine via HDMI.

My 1080ti has never given me a glitch at all with the same monitor (still use it) via DP.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
A local retailer have a shitload(150+) 3070s in stock today. Two models being the MSI Ventus 3x and EVGA XC3 Black(black clownlips). The former looks to have a way beefy cooling solution(probably not needed for a 3070) and the EVGA is more expensive and doesn't have a backplate.

They also have more expensive cards, including an ugly rear end PNY. The 3070 doesn't seem too hard to get a hold of over here anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Can someone clarify who this queue is for? I have seen this mentioned a few times here and in another thread. Is it for people who preordered and are waiting?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Can someone clarify who this queue is for? I have seen this mentioned a few times here and in another thread. Is it for people who preordered and are waiting?

EVGA had a notify me option on their cards since launch which obviously wasn't doing poo poo because they were insta-selling. They went ahead and turned this into their proper order queue and they're going down the line (based on sign up time) and send you a link in which you can order the card you wanted. The link is only live for 8 hours then it moves on to the next person

You can see what cards you've signed up to be notified for here

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I thought you could use DLSS for superscaling even at lower resolutions (I'm at 1080p trying to play Control, so I wanted to try to DLSS from 1080 to 1440 then downsize to my real res).

Is that only an option in some games or is there some other way to do it?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Elman posted:

I thought you could use DLSS for superscaling even at lower resolutions (I'm at 1080p trying to play Control, so I wanted to try to DLSS from 1080 to 1440 then downsize to my real res).

It'll render at 720p (or somewhere around that resolution), and scale it to 1080p from there in your case.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Elman posted:

Turn on DSR in NVIDIA control panel with the multiplier for the intended target resolution, ie 4x for 3840x2160, 1.78x ish for 2560x1440. Then set the game to the DSR resolution and turn on DLSS. Then you'll get DLSS upscaling and supersampling.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

FlamingLiberal posted:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

EVGA had a notify me option on their cards since launch which obviously wasn't doing poo poo because they were insta-selling. They went ahead and turned this into their proper order queue and they're going down the line (based on sign up time) and send you a link in which you can order the card you wanted. The link is only live for 8 hours then it moves on to the next person

You can see what cards you've signed up to be notified for here

There are two ways we know to get a 3080. The first is registering at EVGA's website and signing up for an auto-notify which puts you into a queue. When your turn comes up, you have 8 hours to buy or it moves on to the next person. I think most of the people getting emails signed up in September, though, so glhf with that.

The other way is to get a qualifying EVGA card and register for the Step Up program as soon as you buy. You have to pay the difference in price between the card you buy and the 3080 you select, but when your turn comes up you mail them the old card and then they mail you a 3080. I think the card has to come with a 3-year warranty to be eligible, so be sure to check that.

Other than that you are just :f5:ing with the masses or hoping to get lucky with a discord bot. :shrug:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I created an EVGA account and selected to notify on all of the 3080 cards so I guess we’ll see

I figured i was probably going to have to wait 2 months to find one anyway

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Im trying to decide if being forced to wait for the 3080 strix means I should keep waiting to get Ti cards.

10gigs feels bad coming from 8gigs 1070s

They might overclock more too.

Or the get 3070 strix that steve says overclocked well because 3070s are easier to find then 3080s. I can upgrade them if ram is an issue down the road and have it hurt less.

But I always end up with “70” cards because it “makes sense.”

This was gona be the year!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

People were expecting a Turing die shrink to TSMC 7nm for 2 years. It never happened. I wouldn't count on Ti/Supers to be imminent.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

Turn on DSR in NVIDIA control panel with the multiplier for the intended target resolution, ie 4x for 3840x2160, 1.78x ish for 2560x1440. Then set the game to the DSR resolution and turn on DLSS. Then you'll get DLSS upscaling and supersampling.

I've tried this and thought it looked worse. Don't forget that the AI upscale is already trying to match 32x SSAA, so I'm not sure how much downscaling really helps.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

People were expecting a Turing die shrink to TSMC 7nm for 2 years. It never happened. I wouldn't count on Ti/Supers to be imminent.

If we believe kopite7 then the 3080ti is still on 8nm, they specifically said it's another GA102 SKU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

repiv posted:

If we believe kopite7 then the 3080ti is still on 8nm, they specifically said it's another GA102 SKU

Yeah, it would be utterly insane for NVidia to have a consumer Ampere TSMC part out in the next 2-3 months, as that would have implied they did all the work for Samsung Ampere, and were also simultaneously doing the work for TSMC consumer Ampere, and just decided to shoot TSMC off 3-4 months after going with Samsung, knowing that they were going to infuriate everyone who bought their Samsung cards. It just ain't happening.

Whatever we'll get from NVidia for the next ~6 months will be from Samsung in greater or lesser configurations. TSMC we might see next year for the usual mid-cycle refreshes. Maybe they'll try to pull them left a few months if they need them to better compete with the Radeon 6000's, but anyone expecting them to pull them far enough left to make them a viable "just wait for it" option is kidding themselves, unless waiting a year is "viable."

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Wooper posted:

A local retailer have a shitload(150+) 3070s in stock today. Two models being the MSI Ventus 3x and EVGA XC3 Black(black clownlips). The former looks to have a way beefy cooling solution(probably not needed for a 3070) and the EVGA is more expensive and doesn't have a backplate.

They also have more expensive cards, including an ugly rear end PNY. The 3070 doesn't seem too hard to get a hold of over here anyway.

i would guess there havent been 150 total 3070s in canada yet

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

pyrotek posted:

I've tried this and thought it looked worse. Don't forget that the AI upscale is already trying to match 32x SSAA, so I'm not sure how much downscaling really helps.

Make sure to turn off the DSR blur, it ruins things and I don't understand why it's so high by default. Make sure to have the DLSS mode set so that the base resolution is at or greater than your monitor resolution. Eg DLSS quality is 1/2 res, so you want >2x your native resolution in DSR.

I'd try 4x DSR with DLSS set to quality, zero DSR blur.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

Make sure to turn off the DSR blur, it ruins things and I don't understand why it's so high by default

It's there to counteract aliasing when you use a non-integer DSR scale factor, but AFAIK there's no reason to enable it at 4x DSR

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Could someone please post a link to the Tu madre discord again? I left after I got my 3080, now I have to come crawling back to try and get a 5900x.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I ran userbenchmark on my XC3 Ultra 3080 and it says I'm in the 18th percentile. The info included there is CLim: 2100 MHz, MLim: 4750 MHz, Ram: 10GB, Driver: 457.09

I ran a Heaven benchmark before and after installing it with my 3600 and 1070 card. Went from a score of 1378 to 3050.

Am I missing something?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dial M for MURDER posted:

Could someone please post a link to the Tu madre discord again? I left after I got my 3080, now I have to come crawling back to try and get a 5900x.

https://discord.gg/9aRDNRF3
its not nearly as useful for zen3

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

stock seems to be a lot better for zen 3 than ampere

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Thanks for the link. Yeah wasn't sure of any other way to get notifications with any regularity. I tried using distillo myself but my one attempt on bestbuy resulting in constant dings so I figured I'll go back to discord

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

shrike82 posted:

stock seems to be a lot better for zen 3 than ampere

Well I mean apples and oranges of the highest order, but yeah, 5600x stocks were completely fine. 5800x stocks were low but ok. 5900/5950 stocks were poo poo.

If you do want one of those last two skus, your odds today were about as good as getting ampere on release day. A few people got some on the discord (I had stepped out for 2 minutes to get a drink, of course) and that was basically it.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

I ran userbenchmark on my XC3 Ultra 3080 and it says I'm in the 18th percentile. The info included there is CLim: 2100 MHz, MLim: 4750 MHz, Ram: 10GB, Driver: 457.09

I ran a Heaven benchmark before and after installing it with my 3600 and 1070 card. Went from a score of 1378 to 3050.

Am I missing something?

Are you overclocking the memory a ton? Amperes don't crash anymore on bad memory, they just retry on error and tank your performance

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Their memory speed is 19Gb, stock. MLim * 4. Everyone displays the drat memory clock differently.

Each clock can move 4 (quad data rate / QDR) * 2 (PAM4) * 2 (dual channel) transfers, so the same base clock may be 1187.5MHz * 16 for 19Gbit GDDR6X, but sometimes displayed as * 8 = 9500MHz, like MSI Afterburner does, which I'm guessing is some sort of "effective clock" (so read Gigabits for Gigahertz and you've got the transfer speed) but it doesn't know about GDDR6X's PAM4.

GDDR5X had QDR but not dual-channel to the same chip and not PAM4 signalling, so it would be * 4, so if UserBenchmark is assuming GDDR5X memory running at a base clock of 1187.5MHz (stock) has an effective clock of 4750MHz.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

Make sure to turn off the DSR blur, it ruins things and I don't understand why it's so high by default. Make sure to have the DLSS mode set so that the base resolution is at or greater than your monitor resolution. Eg DLSS quality is 1/2 res, so you want >2x your native resolution in DSR.

I'd try 4x DSR with DLSS set to quality, zero DSR blur.

Thanks, that worked well. Significantly sharper than native resolution or DLSS set to quality upscaled to native resolution, at about a 15% hit compared to native rendering.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

https://discord.gg/9aRDNRF3
its not nearly as useful for zen3

That's asking for an unknown password but I think it's useless anyway to figure it out. Do they track Canadian retailers?

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Hemish posted:

That's asking for an unknown password but I think it's useless anyway to figure it out. Do they track Canadian retailers?

Try this one?

https://discord.gg/HF2EQGTT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im about to watercool my 3080 with a chinese block. Wish me luck
https://coub.com/view/2l7gbm