Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I turned on IPv6 in my router, got an address from the ISP, and showed an IPv6 address assigned to my computer, but the IPv6 test site still showed me not having IPv6 working. I didn't see any effect on my speedtests, although I'm not sure that would be expected anyway. Should I have powercycled my modem and router even though the DHCP handoff appeared successful?

Did you get a real IPv6 address or are you only seeing a link-local (starts with fe80:) one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

astral posted:

Did you get a real IPv6 address or are you only seeing a link-local (starts with fe80:) one?

The router shows a real one, my computer shows a local one.

I just changed the IPv6 DNS from Comcast to Cloudflare, renewed my DHCP lease, reconnected to my router, and same result.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The router shows a real one, my computer shows a local one.

I just changed the IPv6 DNS from Comcast to Cloudflare, renewed my DHCP lease, reconnected to my router, and same result.

Do you know how your ISP assigns IPv6 addresses so you can configure that on your router? I would guess it's probably DHCPv6-PD, where your ISP delegates you a prefix (something like a /64 or /56), and your router then assigns addresses to your devices from there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

skipdogg posted:

My ISP doesn’t even support IPV6 right now, and they switched to CGNAT last year. The biggest issue with that situation for me was Xbox live being very unhappy and I lost direct connection to my Plex server and home VPN server

I ended up ordering a static IP to address the connectivity issues.

It shouldn't be seen as acceptable in TYOOL 2020 to move to CGNAT without also implementing IPv6

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

astral posted:

Do you know how your ISP assigns IPv6 addresses so you can configure that on your router? I would guess it's probably DHCPv6-PD, where your ISP delegates you a prefix (something like a /64 or /56), and your router then assigns addresses to your devices from there.

I'll have to look into it. I booted over into Windows and see the same behavior there, too. Both Linux and Windows appear to be set to allow IPv6, so I'll look at the router settings.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I turned on IPv6 in my router, got an address from the ISP, and showed an IPv6 address assigned to my computer, but the IPv6 test site still showed me not having IPv6 working. I didn't see any effect on my speedtests, although I'm not sure that would be expected anyway. Should I have powercycled my modem and router even though the DHCP handoff appeared successful?

Does using IPv6 have an effect on security or attack surface, either positive or negative?

You must make sure the firewall is enabled, and none of the stupid "let us help you poke holes in it" features are enabled. (UPnP for example.) You get a lot of firewalling for free with NAT that evaporates with ip6. Default deny with keep-state for outbound connection tracking is all you need and should be the default.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I had ipv6 enabled for a while but turned it off because it was slower. Youd think it would be the same but it’s not, I was getting longer traceroutes with ipv6, in one case going to Europe and back to access a server that was a 2 hour drive from my house. Lots of bad ipv6 route tables out there.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Perplx posted:

I had ipv6 enabled for a while but turned it off because it was slower. Youd think it would be the same but it’s not, I was getting longer traceroutes with ipv6, in one case going to Europe and back to access a server that was a 2 hour drive from my house. Lots of bad ipv6 route tables out there.

What kind of IPv6 implementation did your ISP have?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

astral posted:

What kind of IPv6 implementation did your ISP have?

Probably CGNATing everything into their legacy v4 interconnects

compatibility: yes
good idea: no

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And some isp's had really lovely uplinks for ip6. "Hey hurricane electric will give us free ip6 if we hit this peering exchange" or "$0.50/mbps for ip6 this checks a box." when in reality HE is garbage. (Pretend they're buying where 50¢ is cheap.)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I got it to the point where it was showing me getting an IPv6 address but still timing out on most of the tests, so I've given up for now. It doesn't seem like I would see a real benefit from it, so am mostly doing it out of curiosity. I'll table it for now and leave it disabled unless I'm missing some good reason to get it up and running.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

I think most modern parts of the internet use ipv6 at this point

Maybe 10 years ago it might have been a problem for some devices, but the last time I ran into problems with it was at work in 2015 and really it was misconfiguration, not an actual routing bug

Pretty much this, the majority of US traffic to Facebook is over IPv6 (and UDP), Google is almost half, it's already well past the time ISPs should get over their poo poo and have native v6 for everyone already

H110Hawk posted:

And some isp's had really lovely uplinks for ip6. "Hey hurricane electric will give us free ip6 if we hit this peering exchange" or "$0.50/mbps for ip6 this checks a box." when in reality HE is garbage. (Pretend they're buying where 50¢ is cheap.)

Cogent's IPv6 implementation and network is orders of magnitude worse than HE at a higher price point

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

Cogent's IPv6 implementation and network is orders of magnitude worse than HE at a higher price point

I mean calling it a network is pretty disingenuous don't you think?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

I mean calling it a network is pretty disingenuous don't you think?

It can only reach 1/3 of the internet!

(They've also recently started charging per BGP session... when you buy IP transit ...)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

It can only reach 1/3 of the internet!

(They've also recently started charging per BGP session... when you buy IP transit ...)

We got hit with that stupid loving charge, and it's not the amount it's that it's basically the equivalent of a Frontier/Charter/Spectrum below the line unadvertised required fee that is definitely not a government tax.) Called to do a turn up and they asked why just point our default at them statically. "You didn't order BGP." gently caress all the way off. (We have it as a outbound nat for untrustworthy connections, such as from employees. :v: )

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

H110Hawk posted:

First thing I would do is to try wiring one of the failing devices during an outage. If it works its a wireless issue, which could still be the router getting overloaded. Wifi load is a combination of throughput and associations (aka devices on the wifi). Sounds like you are at 10 devices. Are your tv's themselves on the wifi? Reduce one or the other to increase throughput. Buy a 100ft ethernet cable and string it along the floor. Unplug your chromecasts (etc) and see if it helps.

Is anyone torrenting? If so stop. A zillion tiny frames is a potential for overload.

Can you move your router somewhere so that you can hardwire some devices? I'm surprised with that many devices none of them are hardwired.

Sorry for the issue necromancy but I tried hardwiring a machine that was having issues and it seems to be fine now on that machine. So yeah maybe it’s a wireless issue. Again, I never had these issues with the Xfinity router.

Checking the TP Link settings page, it looks like there are 8 wireless devices on the network in the worst case.

Is it possible that the router picked a suboptimal wireless channel to park on? Any smarter way to diagnose that other than forcing it to other channels and seeing if it gets better? It’s difficult because it’s intermittent, sometimes everything works fine and sometimes it’s unusable.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

Pretty much this, the majority of US traffic to Facebook is over IPv6 (and UDP), Google is almost half, it's already well past the time ISPs should get over their poo poo and have native v6 for everyone already

I think a lot of this is because a large portion of Facebook access is done over cellular networks. All the cellular carriers natively implemented IPv6 during their 4G buildouts. I'm pretty sure v6 support was a requirement of the various 4G standards...

My own ISP I can see their ASN has several IPv6 peers, but v6 has not been enabled on their own network yet. :/

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

stevewm posted:

I think a lot of this is because a large portion of Facebook access is done over cellular networks. All the cellular carriers natively implemented IPv6 during their 4G buildouts. I'm pretty sure v6 support was a requirement of the various 4G standards...

My own ISP I can see their ASN has several IPv6 peers, but v6 has not been enabled on their own network yet. :/

I think the UDP part (HTTP/3 or QUIC) is also because of Chrome or native app on mobile devices, since it's significantly faster on high latency/mobile devices than normal TCP-based HTTPS with handshaking and all.

For whatever reason, my ATT hotspot doesn't give IPv6 addrs anyway (still).

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

You must make sure the firewall is enabled, and none of the stupid "let us help you poke holes in it" features are enabled. (UPnP for example.) You get a lot of firewalling for free with NAT that evaporates with ip6. Default deny with keep-state for outbound connection tracking is all you need and should be the default.

I spent a bunch of time looking into my UDMs firewall based on this post.

Now to figure out precisely the right IPv6 settings for Telus fibre.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Would a UPS of this size be good enough to keep the modem and router up for a while? Winters are loving brutal here and for that price I dont think its worth being without if we can keep internet during the many outages we'll have over the next 4-5 months.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The VA of a UPS is more related to the current you can draw through it than the runtime you can expect to get - you can boost runtime without changing the VA by adding more batteries, for example.

That model has a calculator on the APC website that shows you the expected battery life under certain loads:

https://www.apc.com/shop/ca/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-6-Outlets-450VA-120V-Canada/P-BN450M-CA

If we say the modem and router are going to draw 25W then you'll get 1hr 20 out of it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So something like this is probably a better bet. Says over 4 hours with 15w draw on the site https://www.amazon.ca/APC-Back-UPS-Battery-Protector-BE550G/dp/B005GZRUZW?th=1

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You might be better off with a DC UPS if you just need to power devices that have power bricks - e.g. if your modem and router both have a 12v power supply then a UPS is going to be boosting the battery voltage up to 120v for the transformer in the plug to drop it down to 12v again, and that's inefficient.

https://www.cyberpower.com/global/en/product/series/indoor_dc_ups_with_12v

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Could be wrong but I dont believe my modem or my router have bricks on the cable. Or does the enlarged box on the plug itself count?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

You might be better off with a DC UPS if you just need to power devices that have power bricks - e.g. if your modem and router both have a 12v power supply then a UPS is going to be boosting the battery voltage up to 120v for the transformer in the plug to drop it down to 12v again, and that's inefficient.

https://www.cyberpower.com/global/en/product/series/indoor_dc_ups_with_12v

Unless your devices specifically are wired for this don't do this. You're going to be cutting and splicing your power bricks. If you need extended run times then see what you can find on the used market without batteries, but you're eventually going to need to power your devices too if you exceed the battery in your laptop for example.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its mainly just to keep in touch and stuff on our phones. Outages are common and can last, sometimes into the double digits in hours.

This doesn't add up to me. Why's the 550VA unit last longer than the 650?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

codo27 posted:

Its mainly just to keep in touch and stuff on our phones. Outages are common and can last, sometimes into the double digits in hours.

Look up the specs for the replacement batteries. What you're missing is an element of time. Volt-Amps is an instantaneous load it supports. How long it supports that is volt-amp-hours. Find the battery spec, it will likely say 12v, 100Ah (or whatever.) Now you can do the rough algebra to figure out how long it will last under your load.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Honestly if you want to do it right, go get a marine deep cycle battery, a trickle charger and an inverter

Trickle charger $25
https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-BM3B-Automatic-Maintainer/dp/B0051D3MP6/

Deep cycle battery $65 (you can get a 100 amp hour battery for ~$170, read up on lead acid technology, you can really only get about 50% of the amp hours out of the battery before doing damage to it)
https://www.amazon.com/Weize-Rechargeable-Cycle-Battery-Replaces/dp/B07SJRR8TZ/

Really nice marine grade inverter: $275
https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Phoenix-Inverter-VE-Direct-5-15R/dp/B076T8MW4F

I personally own this one and it hasn't caught fire yet, $20.00
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KT26D68/

I mean, yes, you'll have to unplug all your poo poo, and then plug it into the inverter, but if it's out that often and for that long maybe it's worthwhile. The tricky thing about inverters (and why I listed the $250 model) is that some laptops won't charge off cheap inverters due to the AC sine wave really being AC square wave

Alternately if you have modern cell phones/laptops that all charge off of USB-C PD you can just wire a couple of these directly to the battery and skip the DC-AC-DC conversion dance:

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anker-Adapter-PowerDrive-Delivery/dp/B07YY7KQZP/

But yeah as someone else pointed out, those UPS things will run your router and modem for about 3-4 hours. We used to have a bunch of summer storms in Dallas and our wooded neighborhood on top of a "hill" would see outages a couple of times every summer. This worked for that, but sitting out long winter storms, snowed in, I would look for a better solution than a UPS designed to meet minimum criteria by the office secretary/IT department.

Edit: I have a lot of free time today

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Amp_to_Watt_Calculator.html

A 100 amp hour 12v lead acid battery will, 1 amp hour at 12v is about 12 watts, which is about what your cell phone charger puts out (the one that came in the box, not an upgraded charger), so a 100ah battery can be discharged to 50%, gives you 50 hours of cell phone charging, or about 1 day of continious cell phone charging for two people. Realistically you could run two phones off that battery for three days. That doesn't include your router/modem, which will probably burn through that battery in a day, maybe faster

If you have a house, this wraps back around to buying a 2kw generator, which cost about $999, require no maintenance and will run for a week straight if you have enough gas (10 gallons? maybe a little more) and then you can run the microwave or toaster oven if you have a small/crappy enough model

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 3, 2020

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

codo27 posted:

Probably a smaller inverter, that takes less juice when not being driven hard

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Apparently “being unplugged for a few hours” was too much of a challenge for my AP AC Pro, and it utterly refused to connect to my router and then refused to connect to my phone for adoption after multiple factory resets. What pieces of poo poo these things are.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm about to buy gear for my home, I have a unifi unit now for my 1600 sq ft place and it's great. After reading some posts like the above, how would you goons buy? I was looking at a dream machine plus two more ap units and a poe switch.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Gyshall posted:

I'm about to buy gear for my home, I have a unifi unit now for my 1600 sq ft place and it's great. After reading some posts like the above, how would you goons buy? I was looking at a dream machine plus two more ap units and a poe switch.

I've got 8 pieces of Unifi gear in my setup and have had zero issues. Granted I've only been using it less than a year. I setup my parents house with a dream machine and two Flex HD and it has been great as well. Seems like certain products of theirs had a rough go with first revisions and stuff but overall it seems like pretty good stuff to me.

I would be curious to see what their support has to say for Fallom's issue - Fallom can you keep us posted?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My personal opinion on gear

Pfsense or opensense firewall/router

Unifi AP’s

HP switch(es)

I’m not touching the dream machine and don’t care to have the whole unifi stack.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm UniFi APs, EdgeRouter for routing (thinking about pfSense occasionally) and have started getting UniFi switches to replace my EdgeSwitches. The EdgeSwitch UI is actually pretty good + better for a power user — Ubiquiti makes some braindead UI/UX decisions in their controller and it's nuts that I can do some stuff from the phone but not the web browser interface. Not sure what I'll do with my EdgeSwitches later, but I got sucked into the whole 'one dashboard' thing... but not enough to ever consider switching to it for routing for myself.

Got a Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus recently though to replace my Cloud Key Gen 2 (selling it on SA-Mart) as I do want to try out the Protect stack.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
Due to the need of reliability and speed from my wife and I working from home, I am putting together a more robust network set-up than my current Samsung mesh network.

I now have a Ubiquiti Gateway connected to our Gigabit Fiber modem and am looking to use an HP Procurve 2910al-48G-PoE Ethernet Switch to connect everything else to as I'm looking to hardwire everything I can.

Being that I'm fairly new to managed switches, I have 2 questions with this set-up:

1. Is there a security concern given the age of the HP switch or can I simply rely on the gateway to cover that?

2. Is the set-up I described above the ideal connection route? The reason I ask this is because with the above set-up I get ~770mb up/down while connecting my gigabit modem directly to my switch yields ~900mb up/down. Not sure if this should be expected with a dedicated gateway.

Thanks

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Looking for a recommendation here. We are re-doing our home network stack, at its core will be a Cisco Meraki switch and wireless AP (got 'em free and they seem quite nice), as well as some Mikrotik SFP switches. We've had a generic Netgear as our router/firewall (lol)/VPN server and would like to replicate that functionality with something a little less...poo poo.

So what are some favorites here for a firewall + VPN server, with enough power to keep up with symmetrical 1Gb internet? We do have a 24/7 NAS that might be able to pick up that duty via software VM, though I'd have to ensure it has enough ports available, but we're looking to keep tech-janitoring to a minimum. I'm fine going to the box and telling it to update every so often, but I don't want it to be such a manual solution that I need to be touching it every week.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DrDork posted:

Looking for a recommendation here. We are re-doing our home network stack, at its core will be a Cisco Meraki switch and wireless AP (got 'em free and they seem quite nice), as well as some Mikrotik SFP switches. We've had a generic Netgear as our router/firewall (lol)/VPN server and would like to replicate that functionality with something a little less...poo poo.

So what are some favorites here for a firewall + VPN server, with enough power to keep up with symmetrical 1Gb internet? We do have a 24/7 NAS that might be able to pick up that duty via software VM, though I'd have to ensure it has enough ports available, but we're looking to keep tech-janitoring to a minimum. I'm fine going to the box and telling it to update every so often, but I don't want it to be such a manual solution that I need to be touching it every week.

How long are the licenses on the "free" Meraki stuff you got? That's going to suck when they run out.

If I had to do a new router/firewall today, I think I would go protectli and pfSense it on one of the i3 models. You can get the same thing from AliExpress as well, but I like the idea of using CoreBoot on a machine like that and they've at least done the legwork in making sure the specific white box model works with their CoreBoot binaries — its an extra $150 over ordering from Ali, but it ships faster / saves you a bit of time. I think the only thing I would knock it on is not having a SFP slot — don't really need 6 copper NICs and it would save me an adapter in my current setup.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

movax posted:

How long are the licenses on the "free" Meraki stuff you got? That's going to suck when they run out.

3 years, which'll be long enough that by then I'll expect to be moving up to some better gear--I've got enough stuff running over SFP+'s that I'm hoping my next reset will be able to be based around something like a 8-port 10Gb minimum switch as the core and then a 8-port 1Gb ethernet off a trunk for the low-speed devices. Plus it looks like a 3 year license for my setup would only be about $100, so if I got 6 total years out of the gear for $100, I'd consider that a steal.

Protectli looks pretty neat--is there any real need for the i3 model when even their lowest end one claims full gigabit line speeds? Since it'd simply be sitting at the border I'd have no need of the additional ports of the higher end models, and it'd only be serving up stuff for two people + a NAS (admittedly running a crap ton of torrents, but still).

e; I don't care much about VPN speeds--anything I'm doing via VPN is usually just light browsing or at most streaming a 1080p or lower movie off Plex.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 6, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DrDork posted:

3 years, which'll be long enough that by then I'll expect to be moving up to some better gear--I've got enough stuff running over SFP+'s that I'm hoping my next reset will be able to be based around something like a 8-port 10Gb minimum switch as the core and then a 8-port 1Gb ethernet off a trunk for the low-speed devices. Plus it looks like a 3 year license for my setup would only be about $100, so if I got 6 total years out of the gear for $100, I'd consider that a steal.

Protectli looks pretty neat--is there any real need for the i3 model when even their lowest end one claims full gigabit line speeds? Since it'd simply be sitting at the border I'd have no need of the additional ports of the higher end models, and it'd only be serving up stuff for two people + a NAS (admittedly running a crap ton of torrents, but still).

e; I don't care much about VPN speeds--anything I'm doing via VPN is usually just light browsing or at most streaming a 1080p or lower movie off Plex.

I have a psychological aversion to buying anything from Intel that's Celeron / Atom / not part of the "main" Core series. It's completely irrational and there is data to prove I'm wrong, but I just remember those generations where they knee-capped the gently caress out of Celerons and they were god awful.

You said you don't care about VPN speeds though, so the main reason (they benched here: https://protectli.com/kb/openvpn-performance/) to get the FW6x doesn't apply to you. But seeing as even 10+ year old machines could theoretically support Gbit line rates, you'd be 'future proofing' for awhile if you got a FW6 I think, in case you wanted to throw VPN or other functions on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

movax posted:

But seeing as even 10+ year old machines could theoretically support Gbit line rates, you'd be 'future proofing' for awhile if you got a FW6 I think, in case you wanted to throw VPN or other functions on there.

Yeah, I guess I'm just looking for some sort of performance review that has something like DNSSEC, DPI, etc., turned on. I mean when even a $20 switch can do 1Gb line speed switching, I have no doubt that their little Atom boxes can do the same, but I'm not as sure once you start layering on the bits that make it an actual firewall. Couldn't find any performance data for that sort of thing on their site (and I guess it's understandable since you can load so many different OSes and services on there), but I just have no real gut sense for how powerful I'd need it to be.

I mean I suppose it can't be that bad if my $100 Netgear can keep up as-is, right?