Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Pizzagate”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Gonz posted:

A great deal of symbionts were probably on ships when they went kablooey.

Which would have been very traumatic for everyone's grandparents. How mad are you about Prohibition?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Which would have been very traumatic for everyone's grandparents. How mad are you about Prohibition?

That's a real dumb analogy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno, how mad are your Jewish friends about the Holocaust?

(these are both poor analogies but I would think the "millions of people died instantly" part that they emphasized last week would give you a clue that it's slightly more serious and painful than "we can't get booze for a few years"

VVVVVVV it's more like if every international flight, ocean liner and long-distance bus in transit exploded at the same time, and people were too traumatized by the event to even attempt any new forms of transportation beyond covered wagons

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 5, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

It’s a galaxy-wide event that basically crippled all interplanetary communication, forced whole planets to turn isolationist, and left others completely cut off from aid and at the mercy of raiders. Not to mention that the effects are still being felt more than 100 years later. Prohibition is a laughable comparison.

It’s more like if a worldwide EMP or solar flare somehow destroyed all electronics and comms tomorrow and we had to revert back to covered wagons and steamships. Of course my descendants would still be dealing with that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s a galaxy-wide event that basically crippled all interplanetary communication, forced whole planets to turn isolationist, and left others completely cut off from aid and at the mercy of raiders. Not to mention that the effects are still being felt more than 100 years later. Prohibition is a laughable comparison.

It’s more like if a worldwide EMP or solar flare somehow destroyed all electronics and comms tomorrow and we had to revert back to covered wagons and steamships. Of course my descendants would still be dealing with that.

How are you personally dealing with the trauma of WW1?

e: the problem with the transport analogy is that seafaring used to be insanely dangerous and it never stopped people making more and better boats.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Alchenar posted:

Well, it killed my great grandfather and was the driving force behind our family coming to the US, so...

Still not an equivalent analogy.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Alchenar posted:

e: the problem with the transport analogy is that seafaring used to be insanely dangerous and it never stopped people making more and better boats.

I’m going to say there’s a difference between your WWI analogy and the comparison to an EMP taking us back to the 19th century. While yes, WWI was traumatic and its effects were felt for decades in the general populace, having tangible evidence of a better world/galaxy staring you in the face, but you can’t do poo poo about it right now might weigh a bit longer.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A faulty car part that may kill 5 people across 10 years can trigger a recall of millions of cars and mistrust in that brand for years. Do you really think that if every warp-capable ship in the known galaxy exploded simultaneously, there wouldn't be an extremely long cultural memory of it?

Regardless of your answer, the bigger point is that in terms of scale and speed there is literally no event in human history comparable to the Burn, so it's all speculation and opinion anyway. It's useless to try to draw comparisons. "what if an EMP happened and millions died" might be a somewhat valid analogy, but it's never actually happened, so there's no real baseline to compare.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It looks like Grey got the symbiont relatively recently prior to the asteroid hitting the ship, so it’s likely the Admiral had boarded the ship after sending the message and then died onboard sometime afterward.

1) 12ish years ago - Sena Tal send the message
2) ?? Years later - Boards the generation ship in search of Starfleet HQ
3) Sena host dies, Tal symbiont is implanted in Grey
4) Grey Tal is mortally wounded, Adira takes the symbiont
5) Adira wakes up onboard an escape pod with their memory scrambled
6) Adira heads to earth or is rescued by earth vessels

I think part of the problem, unless I’ve forgotten something from the previous episode, is that 5) and 6) aren’t super clear and Adira’s personal timeline still has big gaps.

The Captain EDF said that Admiral Sena Tal died on an outbound ship 2 years ago.
Adira woke up in an escape pod one year ago with the Symbiont, rescued by a ship.

In the DS9 episode they said that approximately half the Trill population could join rather than the 1 in a thousand. They say here that the population was decimated, but for them to have run out of hosts, the Burn must have been truly catastrophic, which makes the whole 'millions' dying from last episode a severe underestimate. It should be in the Trill-ions.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

xerxus posted:

It should be in the Trill-ions.

Please leave

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

xerxus posted:

The Captain EDF said that Admiral Sena Tal died on an outbound ship 2 years ago.
Adira woke up in an escape pod one year ago with the Symbiont, rescued by a ship.

Okay that makes more sense then. Sena Tal was on Adira’s ship and Grey had had the Tal symbiont for around a year when he was killed. Presumably they were relatively close to Earth when the asteroid or whatever hit and that’s how Adira ended up in the EDF.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Crusader posted:

they should run into some people that don’t call it the burn - galaxy-wide communication is busted so there have to be regional names for the event

“the great kablooie”

Maybe they will encounter people who don't call it "the burn" because they are scientists and that sounds dumb to them. So, they reused an old term, and they have spent a lot of time researching the event....

... and they are positively dying to tell you about the Big Bang Theory. They won't shut up about it. They think it's super-original and really smart, and they promise Discovery's crew that if they give it a chance, they'll totally agree. Then what's-her-face rolls her eyes and murders all of them, and Saru gives her the Congressional Medal of Space Honor.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No, you would have dealt with it by reaching a new social and political equilibrium. Your kids and especially your grandkids would grow up in the new equilibrium which they would perceive as normal.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

tarlibone posted:

Maybe they will encounter people who don't call it "the burn" because they are scientists and that sounds dumb to them. So, they reused an old term, and they have spent a lot of time researching the event....

... and they are positively dying to tell you about the Big Bang Theory. They won't shut up about it. They think it's super-original and really smart, and they promise Discovery's crew that if they give it a chance, they'll totally agree. Then what's-her-face rolls her eyes and murders all of them, and Saru gives her the Congressional Medal of Space Honor.

trying to think of the last time that Star Trek had academic cringe of that level. Season 1 Bashir with his "frontier medicine" speech?

Most of its scientists seem much more socially aware than actual ones, but that's probably because aesthetics politics concentrates that kind of cringe like salt in an evaporation pool

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

My great grandfather and my grandfather were bootleggers who ran booze across the Detroit River from Ontario under cover of darkness. :smug:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

tarlibone posted:

The Big Bang Theory is, hands down, no hyperbole, one of the worst things i’ve ever seen on television. It’s anti-comedy. And it has nothing at all to do with my general dislike of sitcoms featuring laugh tracks. It’s just really cringey writing and acting. Jim Parsons is about as funny as a compound femur fracture and the same goes for the rest of the cast.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why so many people watch that show.

:iiam:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gonz posted:

The Big Bang Theory is, hands down, no hyperbole, one of the worst things i’ve ever seen on television. It’s anti-comedy. And it has nothing at all to do with my general dislike of sitcoms featuring laugh tracks. It’s just really cringey writing and acting. Jim Parsons is about as funny as a compound femur fracture and the same goes for the rest of the cast.

I mean I agree with you but I feel weird throwing stones in this house of glass

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Alchenar posted:

While we could spend ages pointing out things that have effects that have lasted that long, the other way to look at this is that Vulcans, Trill, and presumably a few dozen other species, live long enough to still have personal experience of it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Why aren't you mad about prohibition?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Trill symbionts live for a very, very long time, even if their hosts don’t. A couple hundred thousand or even a few million Trill being wiped out in an instant would be like burning down the Library of Alexandria for the Trill species, especially since their whole culture is based upon the preservation of their memories and historical records.

And the Trill leadership even said that there are so very few of them left that their species is barely hanging on by a thread because of a lack of viable hosts for the symbiont. Up until last night, they’d never, in hundreds of generations, even seen a human host be able to survive a joining. Adira Tal offers their species an out from their expected evolutionary dead end. It also proves their entire religious dogma wrong.

Trill in the year 3089 probably have enough hosts to get by and tend to their utopian homeworld, but not enough to thrive as an interplanetary species as they did for several millenia.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 6, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Gonz posted:

It also proves their entire religious dogma wrong.

I was thinking the whole time just how loving TOS the whole Trill plotline was. This put the cap on it for me, when the people in bright robes and makeup who represent the whole culture realize They've Been Wrong I was like yeah, that's pretty Trekky

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I'm really liking this season so far. They're doing self-contained individual stories with somewhat unrelated A/B plots, which is pretty classic Trek, while also telling a coherent overarching story that's driving the plot forward, which is very modern. It feels like we've just wrapped up the first act of the season, which is about right for a 13-episode run, and I'm actually excited to see what happens in next week's episode. The preview implies that Starfleet isn't going to take them at face value and is going to give them a test, and with all the explosions I'm betting it's going to be some sort of Kobayashi Maru thing.

I'm hoping they keep the boyfriend around, he and Adira are real cute together even if he is effectively a ghost.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

blastron posted:

I'm hoping they keep the boyfriend around, he and Adira are real cute together even if he is effectively a ghost.

A Ghost-style ghost, too, wrapping his arms around her to guide romantic artistic endeavor

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I guess it's been a while since I heard cello music because that sounded like it was in a kind-of high register for cello.

Then again, they were playing fairly high up on the first string, so... yeah, it might check out.

I just better not find out that the music was actually from a viola.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Crusader posted:

they should run into some people that don’t call it the burn - galaxy-wide communication is busted so there have to be regional names for the event

“the great kablooie”

The Noodle Incident.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

Johnny Galecki, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg, and Melissa Rauch have been pretty good outside of TBBT, and I dig how Jim Parsons just exudes this lowkey air of hating the show and Sheldon Cooper in every interview he's given, but you're spot on with the rest of it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This was easily the best episode of Discovery thus far, and I said that last week too. This was the first time we really saw genuine emotion and depth from the crew together, and it worked. Season 3 is pretty great up to this point.

e: the only distracting thing was seeing Ronnie from Schitt’s Creek not being a total smartass.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 6, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lt. Blondelady almost had a line, so close.

I kid but yeah, they seem to have thought "what if we made a Star Trek?" as the new direction for season 3. I really hope meeting Starfleet is not going to start A Galaxy Shattering Plot and poo poo the bed. Again.

E: Also there is no fuckin way I would have enough faith in forcefields to hang out in that shuttlebay. What happens when they lose power like happens all the drat time in Star Trek? Nope. Build a goddamn door or I will be skipping movie night, thank you.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gonz posted:

Trill in the year 3089 probably have enough hosts to get by and tend to their utopian homeworld, but not enough to thrive as an interplanetary species as they did for several millenia.

They explicitly said they don't have enough hosts to get by though

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Ronnie from Schitt’s Creek

OH MY GOD, I knew she was insanely familiar!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Lt. Blondelady almost had a line, so close.

Like Lindsey Buckingham on an episode of "What's up with that?"

Grand Fromage posted:

E: Also there is no fuckin way I would have enough faith in forcefields to hang out in that shuttlebay. What happens when they lose power like happens all the drat time in Star Trek? Nope. Build a goddamn door or I will be skipping movie night, thank you.

See, I'm with you on this. I understand how cool the special effect is if you understand that there's air inside the bay but vacuumy death outside. So, here comes a shuttle, and nobody's in environment suits, and it's all OK because the ship passes through the force field with no gaps. Also, you don't have to de- and re-pressurize the entire shuttle bay. Cool, practical, and it makes a certain amount of sense... when ships are coming and going. And even then, it's pretty hazardous, because like you say, power can fail. They should at least have doors for those times when nobody is even using teh shuttlebay. Maybe they do? I haven't noticed. But they should.

The engineer who designed the shuttle bay had a resume that probably included Death Star Handrail Safety Inspector.

I mean... just ask Jonas Venture how safe it is, hanging out in a big room out in space for movie night. Oh, that's right, you can't. Because he's dead. FROM SPACE!!!!!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Regarding their search for Starfleet HQ and The Real Federation, one thing I kinda got the impression after the first few episodes that I guess they're not doing is that the Federation in some areas just shattered, and that they'd be coming across worlds or bubbles that are all holding on seperately and taking it in faith that out there so are other parts of the Federation and Starfleet, even if they're only still Federation Members in name, and little local Starfleets.

I still think that would have been an interesting approach but it seems like there's a main Fed HQ and Starfleet instead.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Wait. I just had a weird idea re: Calypso.

Zora is starting to evolve from the sphere data here. What if at the end of season three, that’s when the crew abandons the ship and somehow go into stasis for 1000 years. Season four would then be them exploring the outcome of their actions in the 42nd century.

Probably not gonna go that way, but who knows

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It's gonna be the First Federation in a wacky error.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

HD DAD posted:

Wait. I just had a weird idea re: Calypso.

Zora is starting to evolve from the sphere data here. What if at the end of season three, that’s when the crew abandons the ship and somehow go into stasis for 1000 years. Season four would then be them exploring the outcome of their actions in the 42nd century.

Probably not gonna go that way, but who knows

I’d rather not make another big time jump tbh. I’m kinda thinking Georgiou and maybe a select few others will use Discovery and some future tech to go back to the 2200s so she can be on the horrible S31 show and then Georgiou will leave the ship adrift somewhere secret for the 31st century Disco crew to collect. In that scenario Calypso would take place while the ship was adrift and just before the crew reclaims her.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

If you like Star Trek - particularly Berman/Braga era Star Trek - and you didn't like that episode, then it's not because of the show, it's because of some weird bias you have. Because that was about as Bermaga as it gets.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d rather not make another big time jump tbh. I’m kinda thinking Georgiou and maybe a select few others will use Discovery and some future tech to go back to the 2200s so she can be on the horrible S31 show and then Georgiou will leave the ship adrift somewhere secret for the 31st century Disco crew to collect. In that scenario Calypso would take place while the ship was adrift and just before the crew reclaims her.

You know, I think you’re right. And I like it.

ashpanash posted:

If you like Star Trek - particularly Berman/Braga era Star Trek - and you didn't like that episode, then it's not because of the show, it's because of some weird bias you have. Because that was about as Bermaga as it gets.

No joke, this was officially the first episode of Disco that I’ve watched that felt like I was in 2005 again.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
It is a real shame it's taken 3 seasons for what feels like an actual good season, because any attempts at a rewatch or convincing someone else to watch the show means navigating Klingon sex torture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

It would have cost you nothing to bring up the Klingon sex scene. Nothing at all.

But you did it anyway.