Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Yeah, but I still don’t know what The Pale is so I’m not sure.

It's disco, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i think i used to know but i forgot

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
In his defense, the first experience I compared this game to was Fallen London/Sunless Sea, which were also done by Failbetter Games. Both games' writing have a very strong "voice", just like Disco Elysium does. I really enjoyed that aspect in each game very much.

They also sort of throw you into a world where things don't quite work the same. Everyone else, apart from the player, is used to it already and doesn't see it as quite that strange anymore.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 5, 2020

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for reminding me to try Sunless Skies again

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Sunless Skies is a better game, but does lack Alexis Kennedy if it was his writing that was magical for you. His writing is very good and evocative.

On the other hand it means he doesn't get money from it, which considering all the allegations of abuse and manipulation, may well be a plus. If you want details, google exists or check the Cultist Simulator thread and go back a page or three.

I suppose the main similarity that stands out to me, is the confidence to have new Things with names, and the possibility the player will not find or understand the explanations. While the whole text still usually feels cohesive despite the possible gaps.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Looking through his wiki page, I haven't played anything of his so I don't have anything to miss.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Alexis Kennedy is at best a sex pest, so he can go gently caress himself.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Rereading some of the latest pages made me realize that I either forgot what I had grasped of the backstory of some of the characters, or I never understood it in the first place.
Can someone break down, as if you were explaining it to a very dumb man, what was Evrart's plan and what did Klassje do before the events of the game? Maybe even what the player character can do about it?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

paradoxGentleman posted:

what was Evrart's plan

to help harry get his gun

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
So, to find out in game mostly you just need to talk to them more.

For Evrart, share info between Evrart and Joyce is a big unlocking step for info. The Union is being ridiculous and over the top because they plan to openly and if need be violently take the docks and probably all of Martinaise from Wild Pines and companies in general. The money to sustain this is coming from funnelling drugs into the rest of Revachol, to people like La Puta Madre.

Klaasje is less clear. Your skills possibly overreact after they first realise she's got you wrapped around her finger. But the reading that she's lies all the way down is not invalid, though I don't buy it personally. It seems pretty likely her story of her past is true. She did industrial espionage and/or sabotage, hosed over a company so bad it ruined a bunch of lives and drove some people to commit suicide over it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Tylana posted:

Klaasje is less clear. Your skills possibly overreact after they first realise she's got you wrapped around her finger. But the reading that she's lies all the way down is not invalid, though I don't buy it personally. It seems pretty likely her story of her past is true. She did industrial espionage and/or sabotage, hosed over a company so bad it ruined a bunch of lives and drove some people to commit suicide over it.
It's less that she's lies all the way down and more that she continuously weaves lies with truth, distorting facts with falsehoods, more or less reflexively at this point; the problem then becomes how much of any individual statement can be trusted, but the broad strokes of her past are probably correct even if the finer details are still obscured.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Tylana posted:

When I got to the end of the game and found her ID but with a different name, I figured she was still doing espionage for someone and the ID you found was for her cover (or backup) identity. She's a master manipulator and I feel like she would have definitely had a second set of lies ready to go if the first ones failed to land with the second set of lies being 'dialled in on Harry' better. Her still being undercover can also be consistent with the Moralintern agents springing her at the end of the game if you interpret that as them recovering an asset not taking her off to a shallow grave.

I like this theory (especially because it builds on the idea that the skills are fallible) but there's not much evidence to support it, so I am curious whether anyone with more game time has come across anything that expands on/contradicts this idea.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I always leant towards being more sympathetic towards Klassje after someone pointed out that her somkeing spot is right in the firing line of the sniper. She's clearly a fairly accomplished liar, but she seems genuinely upset about Lely's death to the point of being mildly suicidal.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I forget the exact context but during the endgame the deserter will even mention that, since the murder, Klaasje has often looked more-or-less directly at him while he watched through the scope. she knows someone's there and she's in a state of mind where staring down the barrel of a sniper rifle seems like a fine time.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

I forget the exact context but during the endgame the deserter will even mention that, since the murder, Klaasje has often looked more-or-less directly at him while he watched through the scope. she knows someone's there and she's in a state of mind where staring down the barrel of a sniper rifle seems like a fine time.

She's a million billion miles away and has no idea he's there and he's a dirty old pervert dude

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Arrhythmia posted:

She's a million billion miles away and has no idea he's there and he's a dirty old pervert dude

She knows a shot came from that direction so well she can make a diagram for you. She likely suspects she is being watched, and may even see the glinting of the scope. I doubt she cares exactly what kind of a person fired it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

She knows a shot came from that direction so well she can make a diagram for you. She likely suspects she is being watched, and may even see the glinting of the scope. I doubt she cares exactly what kind of a person fired it.

I totally missed the ",since the murder" clause, lol.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

I totally missed the ",since the murder" clause, lol.

I totally fake edited to add that clause so it ain't your fault :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Arrhythmia posted:

ENCYLCOPEDIA [Challenging: Failure] Whoah! WHOAH-WHOAH-WHOAH! Hold your horses little poster!

1. "What is a mile?"
2. "What's a pervert?"
3. "What's a... billion?"
4. Don't be ridiculous, I know all these things.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What's a "Dude?"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Games › Disco Elysium - Don't be ridiculous, I know all of those things

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Finally, beat it. That was quite a ride. I probably shouldn't have binged the last few hours because there was just so much content going on. I may do another playthrough, I have questions about endings.

Is there endings besides "the killer was a communist who has gone crazy because of a cryptid bug?", because that was way out of left(ist) field

I played as a high Phys/Motorics cop with high Shivers, Physical Instrument, and some Visual Calculus. Will there be a significantly different story/outcomes if I go like high Psyche or Intellect? I know the generally story will stay the same, but if I'm going to play again I'd like to diverge it significantly.

I didn't even unlock like a 3rd of the Thought Cabinets. Is there some trick to doing that? Those are my favorite thing.

All in all, great game. End got real wacky, but maybe that was my play style that caused that.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
One ending. Think of it as a thematic one.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Was there a way for me to find the ceramic armor helmet and scope, or do they always wash up in the cryptid’s cache?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Was there a way for me to find the ceramic armor helmet and scope, or do they always wash up in the cryptid’s cache?

IIRC there's some esoteric triggers that would make them not wash up, but, yeah, that's how you find them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Remember that this is more of a noir than a whodunnit,

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
There is a saying in Estonian: fear has big eyes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

JustaDamnFool posted:

I always leant towards being more sympathetic towards Klassje after someone pointed out that her somkeing spot is right in the firing line of the sniper. She's clearly a fairly accomplished liar, but she seems genuinely upset about Lely's death to the point of being mildly suicidal.

Yeah this was a cool idea, thanks to whoever proffered that

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Will there be a significantly different story/outcomes if I go like high Psyche or Intellect? I know the generally story will stay the same, but if I'm going to play again I'd like to diverge it significantly.

You'll follow some different branches because you may not be able to solve problems in the same ways you did your first time through, but the larger beats will remain the same. The main thing is that every interaction along the way will be colored very differently, because all the voices suffusing those conversations are different. It's also likely that there are at least one or two really significant conversations or moments that you didn't happen to catch on your first playthrough, unless you were very, very thorough. Learning about some of those after I finished the game re-contextualized a lot of it for me.

Brosnan fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 6, 2020

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

EorayMel posted:

There is a saying in Estonian: fear has big eyes.

this game is just too good

i might need a third playthrough just to soak in the atmosphere and music and dialogue again

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Brosnan posted:

You'll follow some different branches because you may not be able to solve problems in the same ways you did your first time through, but the larger beats will remain the same. The main thing is that every interaction along the way will be colored very differently, because all the voices suffusing those conversations are different. It's also likely that there are at least one or two really significant conversations or moments that you didn't happen to catch on your first playthrough, unless you were very, very thorough. Learning about some of those after I finished the game re-contextualized a lot of it for me.

If I only plan on doing one more play through, which would be the biggest departure from a phys build with heavy shivers?

Logic/encyclopedia/Conceptual? Or Empathy/inland empire?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

If I only plan on doing one more play through, which would be the biggest departure from a phys build with heavy shivers?

My core playthrough was like 4/5/1/2 with Volition tagged. I started out planning to go hard on Logic/Empathy, but Inland Empire adds a lot to the game and I started putting points there too.

Come to think of it, maybe this is a helpful way to decide: https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/f0z2oa/total_number_of_passive_checks_in_the_game/

Looks like Empathy, Inland Empire, Logic, and Rhetoric all have a very high number of passive checks that are Medium or above, so those would give you a different playthrough flavor.

clubDeuce
Dec 1, 2010
i don't know how people play this game without inland empire. shivers is pretty cool too i guess but ie just takes the cake

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Good God how did I miss the children’s primer the first time.

Kim, I know the alphabet now.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I went high encyclopedia and inland empire with good logic and some art cop thrown in. It worked and contrasted nicely with a shivers / half light second play.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Each characteristic brings its own twist on the investigation, though the beats and details of the case remain the same. The main thing is that you will find different clues or progress in different ways. Inland Empire is the spookiest of the bunch, I'd recommend it. Just remember, don't take off that ugly tie...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
the tie has the best redemption arc in the game imo

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

christmas boots posted:

the tie has the best redemption arc in the game imo

:hmmyes:

christmas boots posted:

Remember that this is more of a noir than a whodunnit,

At the risk of sounding like a complete dunce, what's the difference? One's more about the mystery itself rather than the job of being a detective in a run down world?

DrDraxium fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 6, 2020

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

My first (and currently only) playthrough was as a 4/4/2/2 art cop with Perception as my signature skills, I had a pretty great time with that, might be worth checking out.

Nothing quite like going to the bookstore and critiquing the plot of every cheap pulp novel you can get your artsy little hands on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DrDraxium posted:

At the risk of sounding like a complete dunce, what's the difference? One's more about the mystery itself rather than the job of being a detective in a run down world?

Well, yes. In a whodunit the mystery is deliberately designed to be a puzzle the audience can solve with the clues provided, even if the solution requires a little lateral thinking. Noir is more a matter of tone and personal struggle. For example, it would be a hell of a stretch to call Murder She Wrote or Poirot "noir."

And as whodunits as a genre must be "fair," in that the audience must be able to piece together the solution before it is revealed, the entire reveal of the Deserter and the anticlimax of that entire plotline, as contrasted with the highs and lows of Harry's emotional and personal journey, should put to rest the idea that DE was ever about the mystery itself.

E: To be fair I wouldn't call DE noir either.