Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Did you guys miss the part where Solomon Dave set up a literal bloodsport and straight up murdered hundreds of participants purely as a display of his power? He's a classic tyrannical fascist dictator. I'm sure life is great for his immidiate citizens but I highly doubt all of his empire is like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Did you guys miss the part where Solomon Dave set up a literal bloodsport and straight up murdered hundreds of participants purely as a display of his power? He's a classic tyrannical fascist dictator. I'm sure life is great for his immidiate citizens but I highly doubt all of his empire is like that

This kind of libel against the Paternum is at minimum a level 69 Offense.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Abaddon said on Tumblr that Solomon's ground as many if not more civilizations to dust as those he uplifts.

Also reminder that Mammon did gently caress all to govern his worlds and stayed in his vault for millennia, yet we don't see the other demiurges carving up his territory. All the governing is done by his people, not himself. Which is another reason why Solomon's justification that he has to rule harshly to protect his people BS, when all he needs to do is stand around and be a big stick.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 3, 2020

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wait, he's not fascist at all. There's no volkishness, no internal scapegoat enemy*, no state sanctioned paramilitaries. SD's more like a bronze age hero-king tyrant dictator.

*Okay, maybe there is an internal enemy, but it's parasitic worms, and it's no scapegoat

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Yeah hes not one to one a fascist but he sure is a big fuckin' idiot with a whole lotta egg on his stupid loving face now.

The point is no amount of big muscular big boys with strong strongboy guns and martial arts can save you when the loving big one hits. You can't punch a pandemic, you can't shoot a tidalwave, you can't sternly lecture a loving metorite. All that posturing and strong talk is bogus loving nonsense and its actually salami daves kids who do the daily running of the poo poo and those that organize in the wake of it that helped and will help immeasurably more when the revelation of the truth came to town with a nuclear sword.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah, he's not a fascist, he's a despot. The word fascist doesn't just mean "an authoritarian ruler", it carries a lot more baggage than that.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah, he's not a fascist, he's a despot. The word fascist doesn't just mean "an authoritarian ruler", it carries a lot more baggage than that.
Maybe I overgeneralize myself, but I typically point people throwing the term fascist around towards Umberto Eco's Ur-Fascism and tell them to checks the boxes on that list. (usually chuds trying to convince me that antifa are the real fascists)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

skaianDestiny posted:

777,777 universes, yes, but each of those can vary wildly in form. Some of them are like ours, holding galaxies of hundreds of millions of stars. Others are a single world orbited by a sun, with the stars as twinkling lights in a sphere around the planet. Others are an infinite flat plane. It depends on the story the god decided to tell.

Which is honestly a pretty big thing to gloss over, given that in the effectively infinite of our universe alone there are probably billions of worlds that demiurge-tier power could render habitable and usable. Like, some worlds being universes orders of magnitude in scale above what's currently connected to Throne seems a fairly notable thing. But I do acknowledge it's well past the story that this comic wants to tell.

(I do wonder what would happen if there was a fully spacefaring civilisation on one world and the homeworld got pasted in an invasion and taken over, if offworld colonies could just, like... just avoid the homeworld and the demiurge would just never notice them as they quietly spread throughout their own universe)

Regalingualius posted:

All of the ones he at least vaguely liked enough to keep close to him, then.

Eh, I expect that some of his trusted ones are off governing regional capitols or leading the army or something.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 4, 2020

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

You assume the rest of our universe isn’t a carefully formulated unreachable backdrop for the story of humanity on our Earth.

This is not ‘our cosmology plus others’ it is ‘our cosmology is wildly wrong and God is a liar.’

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

You assume the rest of our universe isn’t a carefully formulated unreachable backdrop for the story of humanity on our Earth.

This is not ‘our cosmology plus others’ it is ‘our cosmology is wildly wrong and God is a liar.’
In our cosmology it is possible to reach heaven through violent explosions.

Maybe its different in Allison's no-Australia Earth, but there's really bo reason to think that.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Algid posted:

In our cosmology it is possible to reach heaven through violent explosions.

Maybe its different in Allison's no-Australia Earth, but there's really bo reason to think that.

My point is, assuming science fiction stuff outpaces demigods with knowledge and power inconceivable within a single lesser universe is just a result of a general genre-scale operation people see in SF vs F and I won’t stand for it, won’t stand for it I say!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wasn't really saying it would outpace, just there's some interesting consequences of scale with the bigger universes that hasn't ever come up in-comic. It's not much of a big deal, though.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

One of the seven would just wave their hand and wipe clean the offensive stars from the heavens above. They are Royalty and their breath is destruction.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Clearly the solution is to teach the people Ki-Rata to level the field.

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
On one hand,

wiegieman posted:

One of the seven would just wave their hand and wipe clean the offensive stars from the heavens above. They are Royalty and their breath is destruction.

On the other hand, science is very Royal thing when done properly. After all, science is continuos application of scientific principle, endless doubt which allows people to reach the deepest Not-Lies. We even kind of have confirmation for this logic, since Jadis was the science!Demiurge, which means that science is a path to Royalty (the one she has fallen off from upon reaching omniscience).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
On the time loop thing, what's the name of this book of the comic again?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Alitur posted:

On the other hand, science is very Royal thing when done properly. After all, science is continuos application of scientific principle, endless doubt which allows people to reach the deepest Not-Lies. We even kind of have confirmation for this logic, since Jadis was the science!Demiurge, which means that science is a path to Royalty (the one she has fallen off from upon reaching omniscience).

science (n.)
mid-14c., "what is known, knowledge (of something) acquired by study; information;" also "assurance of knowledge, certitude, certainty," from Old French science "knowledge, learning, application; corpus of human knowledge" (12c.), from Latin scientia "knowledge, a knowing; expertness," from sciens (genitive scientis) "intelligent, skilled," present participle of scire "to know," probably originally "to separate one thing from another, to distinguish," related to scindere "to cut, divide," from PIE root *skei- "to cut, split" (source also of Greek skhizein "to split, rend, cleave," Gothic skaidan, Old English sceadan "to divide, separate").

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019

jsoh posted:

science (n.)
mid-14c., "what is known, knowledge (of something) acquired by study; information;" also "assurance of knowledge, certitude, certainty," from Old French science "knowledge, learning, application; corpus of human knowledge" (12c.), from Latin scientia "knowledge, a knowing; expertness," from sciens (genitive scientis) "intelligent, skilled," present participle of scire "to know," probably originally "to separate one thing from another, to distinguish," related to scindere "to cut, divide," from PIE root *skei- "to cut, split" (source also of Greek skhizein "to split, rend, cleave," Gothic skaidan, Old English sceadan "to divide, separate").

Reach heaven through publishing.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Alitur posted:

Reach heaven through publishing.
Well, you know what they say, Publish or

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Science is not quite Royal, though it can cut quite impressively.

After all, science culminates in Jadis: Absolute knowledge of what is, but without any sort of drive towards what could be. Science has no inherent purpose to change the world, and indeed, if blindly pursued without valuation or real self-consideration (positivism) it becomes a prison.

There's a reason Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals was not ultimately an exhortation to learn how to do science.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Of course!

That's what engineering is for!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Whenever this thread starts talking about Kings, my mind just keeps repeating this achewood

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Kings WERE raw as hell.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Ray attains more wisdom in 6 panels than the demiurges learn in 6 millennia.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Zoss breaches the firmament through the use of dark sciences to recover a fragment of the Song of Maybe

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/ksbd-3-42/

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Joe Slowboat posted:

Science is not quite Royal, though it can cut quite impressively.

After all, science culminates in Jadis: Absolute knowledge of what is, but without any sort of drive towards what could be. Science has no inherent purpose to change the world, and indeed, if blindly pursued without valuation or real self-consideration (positivism) it becomes a prison.

There's a reason Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals was not ultimately an exhortation to learn how to do science.

yeah but he also said science is gay

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Super Waffle posted:

Zoss breaches the firmament through the use of dark sciences to recover a fragment of the Song of Maybe

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/ksbd-3-42/

I've always wondered what exactly "Dark Science" was...

Like yeah, I'm a scientist/engineer, but all this time maybe I've just been unknowingly practicing Light Science instead so I haven't been able to breach the firmament. Maybe I gotta think about this differently like Dark Lunch or something instead.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think dark science is just mad science. Practicing dark science is just what gets you kicked out/discredited from your field and/or probably put in prison.

Tulip posted:

Whenever this thread starts talking about Kings, my mind just keeps repeating this achewood

I am imagining this as a conversation between Alison and White Chain and it's good

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 6, 2020

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Dark Science is applied Dark Enlightenment, Zoss reached Throne through his supreme understanding of Black IQ statistics.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I’m assuming it’s the science of weird horrible occult powers, it’s not like the universe runs on fuckin’ atoms. Dark Science is when you start messing with real matter, which is the flame immortal.

That or dark science is just when the peer review can’t touch you because you have transvaluated all citation values.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dark Science is just regular science with inadequate lighting

reach heaven through eyestrain

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
They actually finally explained what dark science is, like, this month.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ive always interpreted the last 3 panels as Zoss wondering who the hell these people are and realizing what the gently caress what he did and what just happened
and how "gently caress, i guess this is what were doing now then" his face looks.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zoss just wanted to see what was there

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Unnamed Demiurge, or young Zoss learning the secrets of Dark Science from the Black Flame?

(it's the former)

ThaumPenguin posted:

I think he wanted to ask God "why is creation so loving awful?", and decided he could do a better job.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

Ray attains more wisdom in 6 panels than the demiurges learn in 6 millennia.

Shamefully, he did not follow his own wisdom and obtained royalty regardless

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

The most Royal motivation.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ThaumPenguin posted:

Think about all the late Zoss's from unconquered planes who breach heaven through amassing power then immediately get stomped into paste by KILL BOSS

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

I've always wondered what exactly "Dark Science" was...

Audio balancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kalli posted:

KILL BOSS

I genuinely wish Abbadon would sell some of his devils' clothes. A KILL BOSS jacket over a TOP top with EVIL pantaloons? Why yes, I'll buy three sets.