Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

King Burgundy posted:

Yay, my amazon order changed to Arriving Tuesday.

I personally am pretty excited for mine.

Same. I did a little dance, even.

hanyolo posted:

Whats the first game everyone is going to play on their Series X?

Debating between Monhun on 4k mode, Gears Tactics (just played Wasteland3 though which will probs make this look like a turd) or Yakuza LAD

AssCreed VikingTowne or the new Ori game... I'm upgrading from a Day One Xbone and Will of the Wisps chugs which is weird since games like Sekiro and Resident Evil 2/3 don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The game is called Full Spectrum Warrior but they don’t say which spectrum

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

The game is called Full Spectrum Warrior but they don’t say which spectrum

full spectrum antibiotics, I thought it was implied.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

AssCreed VikingTowne or the new Ori game... I'm upgrading from a Day One Xbone and Will of the Wisps chugs which is weird since games like Sekiro and Resident Evil 2/3 don't.

Ori chugs on the One X as well. It feels like 0 good coding or optimization was done for the Bone releases

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Same. I did a little dance, even.

Oh yeah Ori is upgraded to 120fps yeah? That's a good test for the new TV. Yeah I was frustrated by the HDD load or whatever was causing the stutters on the One X as well.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Terraria

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i'm going to plug mine in, get logged in, get everything downloaded, go "ok, all set" and then turn it off

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Besides loading times have there been any shown improvements to State of Decay 2? Like framerate?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Zachack posted:

Besides loading times have there been any shown improvements to State of Decay 2? Like framerate?

I find that games performance continuously baffling. I hope they do something to improve the netcode.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Undead labs loving suck at QA

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Something I’d like to understand

I’ve never owned an Xbox system at all. If I get one and get game pass, are the majority of games running better on the series X?

It looks like they are being boosted in a way PS5 games aren’t always but not sure if it’s just being reported that way

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Don't worry folks, not long until we can bust out our Monster cans and start earning our double XP!

...Right???

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Something I’d like to understand

I’ve never owned an Xbox system at all. If I get one and get game pass, are the majority of games running better on the series X?

Yes. Higher resolutions and anything with unlocked frame rate will run better.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yes. Higher resolutions and anything with unlocked frame rate will run better.

Some of the ms games are getting a free rework too

Ori 120fps
Halo MCC 120fps
SoT performance/res patch
Gears ray tracing or a 120fps performance mode iirc

Probs some more as well I can't remember

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i was serious about terraria. i play it with my kid as he loves it, but split screen is noticeably laggier on the xbone

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Biodome posted:

GTA4 and Morrowwind. Ever since I saw the DF vid of GTA4 running on the Series X at a locked 60FPS, I knew I had to play it.

Oh wow, I forgot that Morrowind exists on the xbox360, even though I had it back then. I remember it ran like butt, I really wonder if a game like that could take advantage of the new hardware.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Oh wow, I forgot that Morrowind exists on the xbox360, even though I had it back then. I remember it ran like butt, I really wonder if a game like that could take advantage of the new hardware.

Loading is significantly improved, even if it still does its weird loading thats actually rebooting the system

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

It was an original Xbox game, and it runs at a nearly locked 60fps at ~4K on the One X.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-morrowind-is-massively-improved-on-xbox-one-x

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Oh right, I had it for the og xbox.

Nice, sounds great, thanks for the info guys!

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Also I have to buy some new furniture to accommodate the new consoles and I'm still not ready to move my Wii U out, so I'm not even sure how I'm going to set this bullshit up.

In other words, next-gen is annoying me.
Yeah, I didn't have enough room in my old setup for these new consoles to stand vertically on either side of my tv. I went out and spent $32 on a pair of those super basic Ikea Lack units then pushed them side-by-side. This generation better be worth that investment!

The nice thing is I now have so much horizontal shelf space that I was able to take out my Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, and original Xbox and line them up underneath the new stuff. It's like the Hall of Presidents in here, except the only creepy thing is me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got my shipping estimate for the series X, Nov 11. :( I live like 15km from where it is currently and bought directly from MS within minutes.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I’m ready to get back into Forza Horizon / 7 in 4K. My very old Bone sometimes refuses to load games and takes so long to load that it turned in to an indie game only machine.

I doubt by Target preorder gets here within the first week.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
TrueAchievements is rolling out a new feature.

https://twitter.com/TrueAchievement/status/1324697168045838336

It seems pretty neat, kind of like their decade in review thing from the beginning of the year.

quote:

As we approach the launch of the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, we thought it would be the perfect time to take stock and look back at everything each of us has done on the Xbox platform since the first games with achievements were launched back in November 2005.

We've created MyXboxStory — a personalised and easily sharable infographic containing cool stats and interesting information based on all of your Xbox gaming for the last 15 years.

The best way for you to explore the data is to use the link above to go to the page and check our your own graphic, but some of the highlights include:

Your first and rarest achievements on each platform
Your first, fastest, slowest and rarest game completion on each platform
A heatmap calendar showing your most active months for achievements won since the Xbox 360 launched
Your longest achievement streak (consecutive days of earning at least one achievement)
The total value of the games you've played (based on their price at launch)
The total hard disk space you would need to install all of the games you've played
Your most played series
A breakdown of the genres you've played the most

Here's mine. Very cool! (Though I did not play 35 days of Peggle 2)

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Zerot posted:

TrueAchievements is rolling out a new feature.

https://twitter.com/TrueAchievement/status/1324697168045838336

It seems pretty neat, kind of like their decade in review thing from the beginning of the year.

gently caress, put this effort into loving games.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

hambeet posted:

TrueAchievements doesn't make the Xbox.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

hambeet posted:

True Achievements is just scraping data that Microsoft isn’t doing anything fun with.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

That is an extremely good point

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I’ll go back to drinking now

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Some Series S vs Xbox One X - loading time comparisons - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvQnEJ2Do1c

The series S is a looot faster

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Yakuza: Like a Dragon is now a Play Anywhere title.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/yakuza-like-a-dragon/9nxcswcqtnfg

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'm not really a tech guy so I don't know how right this is - but it seems that the Series X CPU has the advantage over the PS5 with loading times even with the PS5 having the better SSD. At least with Backwards Comp.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-ps5-and-xbox-series-x-backward-compatibility-load-times-compare/1100-6484057/#comments-block-33510845

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1324712038602543105?s=19

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

I'm not really a tech guy so I don't know how right this is - but it seems that the Series X CPU has the advantage over the PS5 with loading times even with the PS5 having the better SSD. At least with Backwards Comp.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-ps5-and-xbox-series-x-backward-compatibility-load-times-compare/1100-6484057/#comments-block-33510845

It's really hard to know why there's this discrepancy. It could be a lot of things, even down to each machine's very different implementation of backward compatibility. I wouldn't assume it's due to a CPU advantage until more testing and observation has been done.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/tomphillipsEG/status/1324357846650204162

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1324712038602543105
!!!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Basically I'm just happy that Next Gen on both platforms is looking great. A bit jealous of the DualSense controller but I wouldn't take it over Gamepass.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1324698049784918016

Standby resume surprises me.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 6, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1324727875371732994?s=19

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1324411231659270145?s=19

Not really an issue right now because there's not 600GB of PS5 games available yet, but weird.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Games do a lot more than just "loading data from disc" when they load a new level.

They unpack textures, boot script engines for gamelogic, create procedurally some data (IA?), negotiate the data with the GPU.

For online games is even worse, the game may be using that time to stablish connection, that have hardcoded timeouts and sometimes only when the timeout dies something happens. I/O devices also have timeouts, if you change the I/O speed but don't change the timeout, you may be eating the whole timeout somewhere.

The "No more loading screens" was a huge lie.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

I'm like 90% positive that they confirmed cold storage of PlayStation 5 games, so I'm baffled by this. Hopefully, it's coming soon, if not by launch. It's so, so important given the storage limitations on these next-gen machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Zerot posted:

It's ok. You're among friends here. We don't Peggle-shame.

My most played series were:
Rock Band, Skate and Assassin's Creed.

I'll continue playing the first 2 on xbox series x and probably going to get the new Assassin's Creed too.