Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Who What Now posted:

TBF he managed to more or less insta-gib Forge the second he actually tried. His problem with that fight was willingly letting himself get beat to hell and back for the chance at some info.

And also leaving his kids on a runaway train to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Who What Now posted:

TBF he managed to more or less insta-gib Forge the second he actually tried. His problem with that fight was willingly letting himself get beat to hell and back for the chance at some info.

That's an interesting way to describe stabbing Forge in the back. Not the one one shot part but Forge quitting the fight and just forgetting about Spender.

Alopex posted:

And also leaving his kids on a runaway train to do it

Good thing Agent Day is a responsible adult.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 19, 2020

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
New page!

I think this basically confirms that Francisco is a ghost. Isabel's non-spectral mother isn't able to hear him despite her apparently being close by that his student didn't need to call that loudly to her

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I do love the complex relationship between Isabel and Spender.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh God, this makes the conversation between SpenderJack and her even MORE heartbreaking.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So I'm guessing this flashback will go into how Isabel's parents split with the Consortium, seeing as they're still around here and it's highlighting her relationship with Spender. That girl is really lacking in a good parent figure, especially now we're at the comic's present time where she seems to have pretty much given up on having one.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

For some reason it never really clicked in my head till right this second that the kids knew Spender back when he was just a slightly older kid. No wonder they don't take him seriously as an authority figure.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I guess Isabel's parents divorced? The one student is about to say Mrs and corrects himelf to Miss

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Unless I'm wildly misremembering, her dad is the rear end in a top hat martial arts ghost, so I guess you could say they're divorced, "till death do us part" and all.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

Unless I'm wildly misremembering, her dad is the rear end in a top hat martial arts ghost, so I guess you could say they're divorced, "till death do us part" and all.

Her dad is the guy training whoever is the white spectral that lifted the lantern off of Mina. The waitress. I can remember like every other detail about her except her name. Angry ghost is Isabela's grandfather.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Ok so I was wildly misremembering, carry on then.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

Her dad is the guy training whoever is the white spectral that lifted the lantern off of Mina. The waitress. I can remember like every other detail about her except her name. Angry ghost is Isabela's grandfather.

Her name is Penny Spender.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Her name is Penny Spender.

:doh: yes, she's Spender's sister. That might have been a significant detail

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-96

here's her mom & her younger dad, as a refresher

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-6-page-46

and dad in the present, with penny as mentioned above

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Looks like she's already been mauled at that time but not got the book yet, as she is "a real crybaby" in the flashback.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
You know, it didn't occur to me at the time, but isn't it kind of odd that Zarei wouldn't recognize Penny as Spender's sister?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Fecha posted:

You know, it didn't occur to me at the time, but isn't it kind of odd that Zarei wouldn't recognize Penny as Spender's sister?

Zarei was too busy focusing on her Dating Drama to really pay attention to someone going full customer service, probably.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Also someone she might not have seen since they were kids. Assuming Zarei and Spender even hung out outside of doing spectral adventures.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Zerilan posted:

New page!

I think this basically confirms that Francisco is a ghost. Isabel's non-spectral mother isn't able to hear him despite her apparently being close by that his student didn't need to call that loudly to her

Which is weird, because Isabel says that her parents are both spectrals in the ghost train arc!

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Amidiri posted:

Which is weird, because Isabel says that her parents are both spectrals in the ghost train arc!

She could have become a spectral between the flashback and the present day?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Could also be that Amy isn't bio-mum. Or that she is, and isn't a spectral, but that by later in the comic Isabel has misremembered or misrepresented the truth for whatever reason (much like she did when telling the story of how she got the book)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
There's probably a lot of unpack in that family situation still, like Isabel directly accusing Francisco of hating her dad for being "weak," which by his standards could literally just mean "isn't an rear end in a top hat who wants to solely devote himself to fighting."

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

I think the general fact that Isabel lives with her grandfather when we know her father is in town running an antiques shop (and doesn't seem to live in the same house) insinuates something is weird in the family, particularly when we know Isabel's dad and Francisco don't get along, which you'd think would make Isabel's dad reluctant to leave his kid with him.

The fact that this page implies Isabel's parents are divorced might indicate that things were tumultuous when they separated and it was thought staying at Francisco's would be more stable for Isabel, but we also know that Francisco spends all his time training people. Maybe it was out of necessity.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
For that matter, who has legal custody? The guy who's been dead for years.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Just because she lives with him doesn't necessarily mean he has legal custody.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rand Brittain posted:

For that matter, who has legal custody? The guy who's been dead for years.

Probably the same person who has legal ownership of the house where the dojo is built.

One possibility that shouldn't be discounted is that even if he's a ghost, Grandpa may not be legally dead. After all he can still sign papers and send letters (someone who gave a spirit book to Isabel and a spirit brush to Ed probably has a lot of other stationery tools).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Also, this is Mayview. A Vampire is running the police department. I'm sure there's going to be some people in the local civil service sympathetic to the fact that dead people might not want to stop having lives yet.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Update up:

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/1324666101532299264?s=21

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Well that confirms it irrevocably.

Also it's nice to see that Gramps at least feels a sense of responsibility to Isabel, even if he doesn't exactly show love.

Interesting note: This guy was presumably alive at this point unless that ladle is a tool.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 6, 2020

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Jesus that this an amazingly real strained family dynamic for a story about a ghost grandpa. It's just a raw deal for everyone caught up in it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tenebrais posted:

Well that confirms it irrevocably.

Also it's nice to see that Gramps at least feels a sense of responsibility to Isabel, even if he doesn't exactly show love.

Interesting note: This guy was presumably alive at this point unless that ladle is a tool.
Died in a tragic ladleing accident

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Splicer posted:

Died in a tragic ladleing accident

I shudder to think what kind of ladel accident could remove someone's legs.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tired of hearing about her ghostly father-in-law, Amy chugged orange juice until she could finally see him.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Man, who hurt grandpa Guerra

(I mean emotionally, obviously something killed him)

Tenebrais posted:

Maybe he's just standing above the pot waving his hand around cuz he wants to be helpful

Fecha fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 6, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I think that guy might be a ghost you guys

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I totally thought it was backwards, and Amy had died and that’s why Grandpa was her daughter’s caretaker. Which is incredibly stupid since Spectrals can see ghosts :doh:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

It's always nice when longstanding theory is confirmed

good page, very solid oofs a plenty on this family situation

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I thought it was always pretty clear that Francisco cared about Isabella even though he's too much of a stoic meathead to verbalize it.

The alt text made me laugh so hard.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

I think we've been assuming both of Isabel's parents left her with Francisco, but could this imply that Amy's still around, we just haven't seen her in the present yet (probably partially due to a nurse's weird schedule)? I'm not sure if there would be anything to contradict it, but I could be forgetting something.

Thinking we might see the origin of Eightfold and Isabel's friendship by the end of this flashback. In chapter 4, when Eightfold states Isabel isn't telling the full story about how they met, one of the things she says is "what about your parents?" A bad divorce would be yet another thing adding to Isabel's stress/underconfidence to make Francisco needs she needs a tool for support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

cropoval posted:

I think we've been assuming both of Isabel's parents left her with Francisco, but could this imply that Amy's still around, we just haven't seen her in the present yet (probably partially due to a nurse's weird schedule)? I'm not sure if there would be anything to contradict it, but I could be forgetting something.

Thinking we might see the origin of Eightfold and Isabel's friendship by the end of this flashback. In chapter 4, when Eightfold states Isabel isn't telling the full story about how they met, one of the things she says is "what about your parents?" A bad divorce would be yet another thing adding to Isabel's stress/underconfidence to make Francisco needs she needs a tool for support.
I wonder if Isabel getting mauled bc she relied on spectral constructs was some sort of, uh, emotional final straw for her dad if he was already extremely frustrated with his dad's entire deal and school. That just makes it weirder he didn't take Isabel with him, but maybe he couldn't? For all his emotional constipation, Francisco has a stable financial situation and household, and Mr. Garcia can't exactly just take Isabel and gently caress off when her mom is also right there. There's no perfect solution and it sounds like everyone (Amy, Mr. Garcia, Francisco) could be trying to do what's best for Isabel without being able to give her the emotional support and validation she needs.

EDIT: Not to mention, if her mauling happened right before the divorce, that would also contribute to Isabel's emotional distress because to a 6 year old, that means she's the person who ruined everything. Even though she isn't! Even though every detail we have points to her parents hooking up young and growing apart in their mid-20s, to there being a lot of pre-existing familial strain, and to everyone involved loving Isabel.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 6, 2020