Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lone Goat posted:

Did all his high school bullies play white in commander? This post is incomprehensible.

More like people kept telling him that "Hound is fine" and he took it as a personal insult to make dog a creature type.
And then wanted to show the world Companion was fine after being told over and over it wasn't a good idea across decades and, well, Ikoria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Commander Legends full gallery is up:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/commander-legends

I haven't been following much, like everyone else I don't care about a physical-only product I'm never going to draft. At first glance it looks full of things that are going to warp Commander and somehow other cards that are too embarrassing to have in a Commander deck but probably fill out a draft deck. And not much in between.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Spiderdrake posted:

I just remembered the new phyrexia cosplay oh gently caress drat it

posting this because everone else needs to suffer like we have

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Lone Goat posted:

posting this because everone else needs to suffer like we have

I don't get it. Is the problem that he's not wearing a shirt? Is it that it's just not a very good costume?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Ariong posted:

I don't get it. Is the problem that he's not wearing a shirt? Is it that it's just not a very good costume?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMuh33BMZYY
It's the vibe of it

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like this thread is just going to be infinite mad at any WotC employee that doesn't immediately go "you are right, we suck, why do you even keep playing this dumb game oh god we're so bad at making it". It doesn't really matter who they are or what cards they designed that you didn't like very much

Edit: Bloodchief's Thirst is pretty great in Historic Arcanist decks, since you can always pay the kicker, and it hits planeswalkers, and you're going to be casting it from the GY on your turn anyway, so it being a sorcery isn't as bad. I don't know if my deck would be able to trigger Fatal Push's revolt consistently enough without 8 fetch lands. I feel like there are a lot of times where it would just be easier to pay 3 more mana.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 5, 2020

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i thought it was the other way around, you shuffle poo poo into your opponent's deck.

Iirc that was actually a Garfield mechanic that shuffled “garbage” cards that did nothing into your opponents deck

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

That would actually be rad if it happened at instant speed and put them on top or shuffled into the top X.
Cool Ancestral, bro. *Puts 3 blank cards on top of your deck*

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

A Moose posted:

I feel like this thread is just going to be infinite mad at any WotC employee that doesn't immediately go "you are right, we suck, why do you even keep playing this dumb game oh god we're so bad at making it". It doesn't really matter who they are or what cards they designed that you didn't like very much

You must be new to talking about Magic on the internet.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A Moose posted:

I feel like this thread is just going to be infinite mad at any WotC employee that doesn't immediately go "you are right, we suck, why do you even keep playing this dumb game oh god we're so bad at making it".

I'm infinite mad at everything, I haven't been able to leave my house regularly for months

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

LifeLynx posted:

Commander Legends full gallery is up:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/commander-legends

I haven't been following much, like everyone else I don't care about a physical-only product I'm never going to draft. At first glance it looks full of things that are going to warp Commander and somehow other cards that are too embarrassing to have in a Commander deck but probably fill out a draft deck. And not much in between.

I’m looking for the insane flash 3 drops in other colors but I’m not seeing them???

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pwnage is described in this article

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/phyrexian-kens-demands-2011-05-16

quote:

For example:

Destroy target creature, then shuffle that creature card into your library. You own that card for the rest of the game.

GUNK is described in this article

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/event-coverage/2008-worlds-feature-richard-garfield-vs-aaron-forsythe-2008-12-14-0

quote:

Gunk UX

Sorcery
Shuffle X Gunk Cards into target opponent’s library. (A Gunk Card has no game text. It cannot be played.)
Draw a card.

(article is missing the images for the mana cost but you can see them in the source)

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I’ll bet we see a mechanic akin to dominions curses at some point. Even with the sleeve complications, there’s too much design space to ignore it.

You could even have a mechanic that places ‘token cards’ on top of decks that have effects when drawn, either as a reward for missing a draw, or as a further penalty. Like when 5/5 for W comes into play, place a token card with the text ‘target player discards a card when this is drawn’ on top of your library. If this would leave the top of the library except for being drawn, exile it.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Rest in peace is a good card though

Even if you think that, a guy who designs cards to gently caress over the guy who made him mad at the commander table last night probably shouldn’t be head designer imo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I don't think they want even more incentive to have ways to shuffle your deck for free.

Usually that sort of thing would be a "the next time target player would draw a card, instead they ..." replacement effect.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Pirate tribal is cool but it kinda annoys me that blue and black only got one rogue apiece (albeit pretty nice ones) right on the heels of the Zendikar rogue Commander deck.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

dangerburrd posted:

Even if you think that, a guy who designs cards to gently caress over the guy who made him mad at the commander table last night probably shouldn’t be head designer imo

I sort of agree, but then again we only have Helm of the Host because a Godo commander player worked on the design team for that set and managed to sneak in an instant win card for his personal pet commander deck and now it's probably the best Mono-r commander in terms of powerlevel so LoL we stan a legend.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I sort of agree, but then again we only have Helm of the Host because a Godo commander player worked on the design team for that set and managed to sneak in an instant win card for his personal pet commander deck and now it's probably the best Mono-r commander in terms of powerlevel so LoL we stan a legend.

I feel like helm of the host and Rest In Peace is a lil apples to oranges. Ones an instant win for a pet deck and the other is one of the most impactful hate cards ever printed. It’s degrees of subtlety, yknow?

EDIT: Like helm of the host is a weird neat interaction, RIP is just 1w: people aren’t allowed to do things I don’t like.

Also while the phyrexian cosplay is bad Gavin literally dresses up like jace any chance he gets, kind of a wash.

dangerburrd fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 5, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

DalaranJ posted:

I think I saw a yugioh card like that in a “stupidest yugioh card ideas ever printed” video.

The Yugioh card thing is at least a little reasonable. You shuffle it in face up specifically because the monster does a thing when it reaches the top of the deck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TVsVeryOwn posted:

That would actually be rad if it happened at instant speed and put them on top or shuffled into the top X.
Cool Ancestral, bro. *Puts 3 blank cards on top of your deck*

https://scryfall.com/card/8ed/272/plow-under

it's an interesting mechanic but forcing your opponent to have dead draws is really bad from a gameplay perspective.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You could probably have a cranial variant enchantment where you name a card on ETB, then opponent has to reveal each draw or play with the top card showing, and if they would draw it exile it instead.

They probably wouldn't make it cost your draw, though.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Huxley posted:

You could probably have a cranial variant enchantment where you name a card on ETB, then opponent has to reveal each draw or play with the top card showing, and if they would draw it exile it instead.

That's Just a worse version of slaughter games.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Huxley posted:

Booby Trap exists and is modern legal somehow!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiderdrake posted:

Mutate owns though.

Not enough to redeem him for loving up green

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

dangerburrd posted:

I feel like helm of the host and Rest In Peace is a lil apples to oranges. Ones an instant win for a pet deck and the other is one of the most impactful hate cards ever printed. It’s degrees of subtlety, yknow?

EDIT: Like helm of the host is a weird neat interaction, RIP is just 1w: people aren’t allowed to do things I don’t like.

Also while the phyrexian cosplay is bad Gavin literally dresses up like jace any chance he gets, kind of a wash.

RiP isnt even that bad any more because Feed the Swarm exists

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
more to the point, graveyard strats are so insanely busted in all the non-rotating formats that rest in peace is the only card good enough to actually stop them (apart from leyline of the void, the strictly better rest in peace, because black still gets to do everything white does but better)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/chrisvondoom1/status/1235572097621073920

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What does the white leyline even do

edit: lmfao

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 6, 2020

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Leyline of the void is clearly modeled over Planar void, that is quite an old card.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

The Klowner posted:

It was used as a sideboard card against burn decks in modern and was mildly expensive before the M20 reprint.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

do u believe in marigolds posted:

It was used as a sideboard card against burn decks in modern and was mildly expensive before the M20 reprint.

Fun fact: when leyline of the void was printed for the first time, the white leyline was leyline of the meek.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 6, 2020

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Klowner posted:

It shuts some decks right down. Tendrils of Agony targets, y'know.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shrecknet posted:

Booby Trap exists and is modern legal somehow!

8th edition in Modern was a mistake.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

8th edition in Modern was a mistake.

Booby Trap is 9th edition

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Klowner posted:

Leyline of Sanctity is one of the few leylines that sees MB play. Because decks like Boggles need enchantments and for you to not thoughtseize their creature.
Otherwise it's essential SB when Burn is big in whatever meta.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

YggdrasilTM posted:

Booby Trap is 9th edition

:kheldragar:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Yugioh card thing is at least a little reasonable. You shuffle it in face up specifically because the monster does a thing when it reaches the top of the deck.

It's also a pretty old card before they realized some things are a pain in the rear end to do in a card game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

@Time, the latest MTG Grindcast just called Grixis Death Shadow the shittiest version of an archetype that isn't all that good in an Omnath/Uro meta, your thoughts?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

fadam posted:

@Time, the latest MTG Grindcast just called Grixis Death Shadow the shittiest version of an archetype that isn't all that good in an Omnath/Uro meta, your thoughts?

That’s true in modern. In legacy bug shadow is good.

Grixis shadow gets better the more degenerate a format gets with combo or titan(pre field) or tron. When you can thoughtseize -> stub -> gurmag -> win it’s good.

You will run out of resources trying to fight through Uro/omnath all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Time posted:

That’s true in modern. In legacy bug shadow is good.

Grixis shadow gets better the more degenerate a format gets with combo or titan(pre field) or tron. When you can thoughtseize -> stub -> gurmag -> win it’s good.

You will run out of resources trying to fight through Uro/omnath all day

Interesting, ty.