Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Repost with links

Beyond the Sun
Tawantinsuyu
Raiders of Scythia
Cloudage
Prage Caput Regni
Anno 1800
Paris
Whistle Mountain

If someone can tell me why two of them aren't parsing properly I'll fix them.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mayveena posted:

Repost with links

Beyond the Sun
Tawantinsuyu
Raiders of Scythia
Cloudage
Prage Caput Regni
Anno 1800
Paris
Whistle Mountain

If someone can tell me why two of them aren't parsing properly I'll fix them.

Looks like you're missing closing square brackets on the starting url tag (immediately after the url), and the text for the link.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
You're missing closing ] in the URL tag

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Fixed, thanks, I forgot to actually show the name of the game thus the lack of closing brackets :v:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I am just waiting on:

Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps! -- seems to have a lot in common with old Space Hulk, I like the ideas and it's not too expensive. I'll give it a shot. Nostalgia purchase.
#ARTBOX -- Drawing game for people who can't draw :v: Seriously though it does some of the "gamification of Pictionary" that Pictomania tried to do, but does it in a way that works for non-gamers, too.
High Frontier 4e -- I ended up cancelling my 3e order when over a year went by with :confused: on it, but I'm not backing out this time!

I've been hemming and hawing about Pendulum. On one hand I'm totally on board, but on the other my only COVID-gaming-partner doesn't "do" games with any kind of time pressure.

Work is tough so my gaming interests tend to be aimed more towards the lighter end of the scale this past year or two (High Frontier notwithstanding).

e: Raiders of Scythia looks boss, so does Beyond the Sun

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 5, 2020

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Pax Renaissance, Pax Viking, and Bulletheart should be on their way by the end of the year and I just backed Bios: Mesofauna. I'm thinking of getting one of the other Bios games to tide me over until next year, but there's no rush on that.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Pax Pamir arrived today, Chinatown and Galaxy Trucker arrived earlier this month and I'm hoping to get Import/Export and Burgle Bros 2 before Christmas.

My shelves fill up with games I cannot play. It feels like a low tech episode of Black Mirror or The Twilight Zone.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
My upcoming list of games is pretty much nil. Maybe Hansa Teutonica big box, but with game night nowhere in sight, I'm not seeing any particular rush or desire to buy it only to have it gather dust (Bus, Taj Mahal, and The Crew already are).

Otherwise, there are a few older games I am theoretically interested in (Agricola and Mexica), but again, not feeling any need to acquire them anytime soon.

I might pick up Battle Line and Legacy of Dragonholt at some point. 2p games will at least hit the table.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jcam posted:

Anyone willing to give some Twilight Imperium tips/tricks for a table with all new players to the game? Eventually I'll be hosting a five or six player game, and despite watching a fartload of How-To-Play videos I still know it's going to be a nightmare despite being fun.

The rule that we've most often seen overlooked that has a serious impact on the end of the game, is that you can only have 3 secret objectives in your play area, scored or unscored. So if you score 3, you can't get any more, and if you have 3 and get a new one, you have to put one back.

It seems so innocuous, but a player ever having 4 at once is a real fucker, since games are usually won or lost on a single point, that it's SUCH a massive bonus, and it's just something that's super easy to miss.

Along similar lines, but much more just me sticking my oar in than actual rules but; I would explain that giving someone the 'support for the throne' note is a reeeeaaaaallly big deal. I've never seen a game where someone gets given it and they don't then win.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Just 1882, which I bought before it was pointed out that the designer is explicitly a bastard.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

I am very tempted to order the Pax Pamir 2e. I watched a how-to-play video and it seems to be extremely my poo poo. But of course thats just another 80$ box that will sit on my shelf until somebody develops a covid vaccine.

Up until I watched that video I was actually completely unfamiliar with all these pax games. Are they relatively similar? I looked up a couple on BGG and they seem to be by different designers so i dont really get why they all share a naming convention.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Squishy posted:

Just 1882, which I bought before it was pointed out that the designer is explicitly a bastard.

hmmm what'sthis now

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

untzthatshit posted:

I am very tempted to order the Pax Pamir 2e. I watched a how-to-play video and it seems to be extremely my poo poo. But of course thats just another 80$ box that will sit on my shelf until somebody develops a covid vaccine.

Up until I watched that video I was actually completely unfamiliar with all these pax games. Are they relatively similar? I looked up a couple on BGG and they seem to be by different designers so i dont really get why they all share a naming convention.

They all share some design conventions but play out pretty differently. They generally all have a market row and feature tableau building with a lot of levers to pull to affect the board and other players. PP2 is the most straightforward in that you just win by scoring points at semi random times based on your presence and the board state as opposed to triggering various win conditions the other games feature. The presentation makes the game way way easier to learn and play too compared to others.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kickstarters:

A bit of Cthulhu Wars stuff
Dirty Money (because Xeo Lye and Capital Gains are nice people; the game being fairly good is a bonus)
Trinidad
Kanban EV
Final Girl

Plus Belaad: Land of Swords and Quills because it's gorgeous and Iranian developers need support.

I also have a crate of Hyperborea: Light and Shadow sitting in my bedroom. Why is it that people can pay £25 up front in April with nary a qualm then take a week in November to get back with the last £3 for the postage?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

CommonShore posted:

hmmm what'sthis now

Just more of a Trump guy than you'd like.

untzthatshit posted:

They're all significantly different. The lineage is Phil Eklund of Sierra Madre puts out Pax Porfiriana, which is about the "peace" Emperor Porfirio imposed over Mexico during his reign - IE everyone's angling for their one chance to depose him, become emperor themselves, and kill all the other players. College student Cole Wehle liked this a lot, and designed a spin-off game set in Afghanistan, submitted it to Eklund who published it. That's Pax Pamir 1st Edition. These two games are, by the standards of this micro-publisher, runaway successes with multiple editions and one expansion (Khyber Knives for Pax Pamir). As it's a brand people like Phil and his son Matt publish 3 further games, Renaissance, Emancipation, and Transhumanity. They all have different settings, rules, and feel quite different to play. However "Pax Renaissance" would probably sell better than "Lords of the Renaissance", and they're all about roughly the same thing if you squint a bit. Equally powerful men jostling for position w/out immediately stabbing one another, sure that's Paxy enough. Several years have passed and Cole Wehle is now a successful game designer, and decides to polish up and publish on his own Pax Pamir 2nd Edition, which is completely different from the 1st. I never heard about any contractual wranglings so I guess the first and so far only non-Sierra Madre Pax game was put out pretty amicably. Also in the intervening years, Phil's company goes bankrupt, gets bought up by Ion games, and Jon Manker, the lead designer at Ion, is tasked to come up with their own accessible Pax, which is Pax Viking.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I got my all in pledge of Detective: City of Angels and holy crap I did not expect all of these boxes to be so drat big.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Bottom Liner posted:

They all share some design conventions but play out pretty differently. They generally all have a market row and feature tableau building with a lot of levers to pull to affect the board and other players. PP2 is the most straightforward in that you just win by scoring points at semi random times based on your presence and the board state as opposed to triggering various win conditions the other games feature. The presentation makes the game way way easier to learn and play too compared to others.

Gotcha, here's another question - a couple pages back someone said Pax Pamir was a little less than great at 2 players, or rather that its a bit of a different game than at 3+. Is there another Pax game out there that works better at 2p? Im pretty much only gonna be playing games w one person for the foreseeable future so maybe theres another option for me there.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

untzthatshit posted:

Gotcha, here's another question - a couple pages back someone said Pax Pamir was a little less than great at 2 players, or rather that its a bit of a different game than at 3+. Is there another Pax game out there that works better at 2p? Im pretty much only gonna be playing games w one person for the foreseeable future so maybe theres another option for me there.

Most people say that Pax Renaissance is probably the best one to play at 2p. But ultimately they’re all better at the 3-4p count because the Pax games shine with more player interaction.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Not a big fan of the trend of $20 games being redesigned into $80 games, especially in the midst of the greatest economic crisis in a century.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Squishy posted:

Just more of a Trump guy than you'd like.

Ah. I met him a couple years ago. He was a bit terse but seemed ok. Watching him play 18USA was pretty amazing. I'm not surprised that he's extremely Saskatchewan.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I went to the horse's mouth (the guy's Twitter account) and he's arguing that the term "Eskimo" isn't offensive, the wage gap doesn't exist, and there is no gatekeeping in the 18xx community. I shouldn't have called him a Trump guy, but he does seem kind of a jerk.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Edit: stupid question

Aggro fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 6, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

High Frontier 4e -- I ended up cancelling my 3e order when over a year went by with :confused: on it, but I'm not backing out this time!

I think I'd be taking myself into High Frontier 4th if not for the pandemic, even though my HF Advanced hasn't been touched but twice in fifteen years. Maybe I'll at least convince she friends to play Space Diamonds on TTS.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I’m moderately embarrassed at all my pending KS and preorders as I anxiety shopped hard during this pandemic/election cycle to try and buy happiness :(

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

djfooboo posted:

I’m moderately embarrassed at all my pending KS and preorders as I anxiety shopped hard during this pandemic/election cycle to try and buy happiness :(

I pour my anxiety into Steam shopping, it's more solo friendly.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
"Hey, how come all elders in Nusfjord are white dudes? Where are the women?"

BGG nerds"The historical accuracy of a thematic Rosenberg title!!!!"

(But a promo features a joke castaway elder and a, erm, whale elder before they ever released a single female elder in an expansion)

:S

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

I pour my anxiety into Steam shopping, it's more solo friendly.

Possibly for the best! It's generally cheaper too, if you time it right :D As far as KS goes, I've only backed one project - Rallyman Dirt. I'm really looking forward to making a massive super-stage with my GT and Dirt tiles, when it comes out. Should be fun - shame I have to wait until like, July/August next year.

Personally though, I've had a mixed week. Fury of Dracula arrived, which is great because after my one full game of it with goons, it has rapidly become a favourite of mine, so I'm gonna play it with friends in a couple of weeks. However on the other hand, a post van with the three Flash Point expansions I ordered was hijacked (and the driver assaulted) like, three streets from my house a few days ago...crazy. (I live in a good area, too! Guess I'm gonna have to sort that mess out, with the vendor)
I'm also still waiting on Nuclear Escalation, which I was hoping would arrive today. :( I've been waiting two months for that, after I initially made my order.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I went to the horse's mouth (the guy's Twitter account) and he's arguing that the term "Eskimo" isn't offensive, the wage gap doesn't exist, and there is no gatekeeping in the 18xx community. I shouldn't have called him a Trump guy, but he does seem kind of a jerk.

Not that it matters too much, but he’s a Trump guy. I’ve argued politics with him multiple times.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Mayveena posted:

So what do you folks have on order?

I have:

Beyond the Sun
Tawansituyu
Raiders of Scythia
Cloudage
Praga Caput Regni
Anno 1800
Paris
Whistle Mountain

I will order Halleratu as soon as the orders open for the US.

Looking forward to all of them!

- Hallertau (came in yesterday)
- Faiyum (hopefully this week)
- MicroMacro, Crime City (a hidden object game where you have to solve 16 cases on a big city map, looking for clues. Getting this one for the family)
- German Edition of Fantasy Realms, a set collection game where you try to set up certain colour combos
- Palavan (a solo puzzle game with an island theme)
- Praga Caput Regni as a potential christmas gift

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Bottom Liner posted:

Just Oath and Jagged Earth at the moment but I’m going to check out some of these.

I really want Oath, but realistically I'll never get it to the table, let alone play it enough to see the "legacy" elements in play.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Import / Export
Successors
Burgle Bros. 2
ArchRavels
1861/1867
Oath
Frosthaven
War of Whispers
Petrichor: Cows
7th Citadel

And a handful of small things.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Got a handful of small games during this year and a few preorders like Targi, battlecon, and New York zoo that finally came in. Only preorders I have now are 1841 and Luzon rails. But I do have quite a few games in my interest list:

Keyflower (Quinn Games edition)
Colosseum
Crusade and revolution
Kaivai
The Barracks Emperors
and 3 JP games that I’m hoping get a rerelease in TGM spring 21

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've got literally nothing coming and nothing on my radar that I want except maybe an 18xx I'll never get to play anyway.

Fuckin sad.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't played a physical boardgame in the entirety of 2020 because of covid. I was honestly thinking about selling every game I have that isn't solo. I'm for sure not buying more of them

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

I really want Oath, but realistically I'll never get it to the table, let alone play it enough to see the "legacy" elements in play.

Same, I'll never play it as often as twice a year.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Most of these I've had on preorder for a while, a few are recent though:

Atlantic Chase
The Barracks Emperor (cool to see someone else is getting this, it looks really sweet everyone should check it out!)
Import/Export (really psyched about this, one of the few games I regretted not KSing)
Oath
Frosthaven
Kanban EV (have the original but this one is prettier and its my favorite Lacerda)
Polynesia (Peer Sylvester's new game, thanks donk)
Renature (Kiesling/Kramer that Capstone is doing, looks like a neat old school euro with lots of interaction)
Millennium Blades: Collusion (feels like I've been waiting on this forever)
Osaka Metro (expansion)
Tiny Towns: Villagers (expansion)
Conquest and Consequence (T&T Pacific expansion)

Here's an image from Atlantic Chase and a brief description, the concept is awesome:

quote:

Atlantic Chase simulates the naval campaigns fought in the North Atlantic between the surface fleets of the Royal Navy and the Kriegsmarine between 1939 and 1942. It utilizes a system of trajectories to model the fog of war that bedeviled the commands during this period. Just as the pins and strings adorning Churchill’s wall represented the course of the ships underway, players arrange trajectory lines across the shared game board, each line representing a task force’s path of travel. Without resorting to dummy blocks, hidden movement, or a double-blind system requiring a referee or computer, players experience the uncertainty endemic to this period of naval warfare. This system also has the benefit of allowing the game to be played solitaire, and to be played quickly.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 6, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Papes posted:

Not that it matters too much, but he’s a Trump guy. I’ve argued politics with him multiple times.

Well now I feel less bad that I didn't preorder 1882 to support a Canadian designer. I didn't talk politics at all when I was there because lol going to Alberta and talking politics. That's how to have a bad weekend and be mad on a 12h drive home.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Man, you all order a lot. I try to only order things I'm confident will best-of-the-best and trade a game when I acquire a new one to keep my collection static around 70~.

I feel like there hasn't been a new critically acclaimed goon certified megahit in a long time. The current crop of games that get universal praise around here are Feast for Odin, Spirit Island, Gloomhaven, the Brass remakes, and Pax Pamir. Other than Pax which is 2019, these are all range from 2016-2018.

Barrage might become a go-to recommendation in the long run, because everyone I have seen post about it has really strong positive things to say, but other than that I haven't seen any serious contenders.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You forgot Meltwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
There was some good light stuff that came out in 2019. Tiny Towns and Fast Sloths are quite good.

Nevsky is excellent too if we're counting wargames.