Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

oh god what happened to you briareus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Fire all 3DCG anime into the sun please. It’s garbage almost every single time (land of lustrous was good though, Beastars looks ok but was boring as hell. So Studio Orange is ok).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Fire all 3DCG anime into the sun please. It’s garbage almost every single time (land of lustrous was good though, Beastars looks ok but was boring as hell. So Studio Orange is ok).

Dorohedoro was pretty solid too imho. Idk if that was just Studio Orange too though.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

The Black Stones posted:

I liked Hi Score Girl.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Dorohedoro was pretty solid too imho. Idk if that was just Studio Orange too though.

it was MAPPA and some other cg studios like V-sign and Graphinica assisting

honestly didn't watch it because the cg looked crap in trailers and clips. using it for a series like that is somewhat understandable but it's very much a Berserk situation where they're trying to compensate for anime being unable to consistently match the quality of the manga source's art.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It had its rough patches at first, but Dorohedoro really looked pretty alright by the end.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, that one turned out alright as well.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lmfao

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Dorohedoro anime is so drat fun and feels like its own beast. It's like watching a really good wrestling match where there's a moment when the guy/gal you didn't expect to drop-kicks a motherfucker and it's an intense-rear end moment, but you're FULLY loving IN for it.

In slightly more coherent English: Watch Dorohedoro. Or read it. It's fun, goofy and hosed-up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Dorohedoro (the series, not the anime specifically) must be one of the most slept on series ever, I couldn’t believe that it was based off a manga from like 1999 and I’d never heard anything on it. I guess it’s not that obscure tho since the the volumes have already been published by Viz tho.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well it took like 20 loving years to reach an ending, so

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

I liked Hi Score Girl.

looked gross imo

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

gibiate was a crunchyroll original too so i guess the other part of their new strategy besides webtoons is making the worst looking shows ever

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

well it took like 20 loving years to reach an ending, so

It still feels weird that no one tried making an anime from it in a world where Fullmetal Alchemist and Hunter x Hunter have two because theirs were glorified advertising imho. I mean, that’s most anime’s purpose but still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

bang dream s2 was rough but s3 was really good honestly

and the concerts in love live nijigasaki look good

Last Celebration posted:

It still feels weird that no one tried making an anime from it in a world where Fullmetal Alchemist and Hunter x Hunter have two because theirs were glorified advertising imho. I mean, that’s most anime’s purpose but still.
the answer here is that hxh and fma are two of the most successful manga of all time, while dorohedoro, is not.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
CR original is pretty much the bat-signal for “look out, turd ahead”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i enjoyed japan sinks tbh. it went off the rails in a lot of places but at least it was interesting going off the rails, and the characters remained mostly likable

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

thats a netflix original though. or was that not in response to the CR chat

a place further than the universe and yuru camp would both have been 'crunchyroll originals' if they came out today, they didn't have that branding yet when they did though. not clear yet if they're involved with yurucamp s2 or if they bailed on the series.

here's a list of what they've been on the production committee for, though it's missing a few recent things like the webtoons: https://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/1784/Crunchyroll_SC_Anime_Fund

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Japan Sinks is okay. The beginning is just way too crazy about how some people died and sometimes it happens in completely wild ways that it feels hard to connect with the emotions that are happening. As the show goes on and you deal with more of a core group of characters that aren’t swapping in and out the events hit harder, and manages to have a pretty good ending.

I would put in on the low bar of Science Saru’s works, but in the end I ultimately found it worth watching.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

thats a netflix original though. or was that not in response to the CR chat
oh i thought ex-arm was a netflix original and just didnt parse the 'cr' in 'cr original'

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tales of Woe posted:

gibiate was a crunchyroll original too so i guess the other part of their new strategy besides webtoons is making the worst looking shows ever

The Black Stones posted:

CR original is pretty much the bat-signal for “look out, turd ahead”

:ohdearsass:

kinda still want to see how High Guardian Spice turns out

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

high guardian spice wont exist lol, a lot of the people they had on it got let go and bitched about how crunchy's wokeness is performative

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m pretty sure that project is dead. The people behind it got pissed that Crunchyroll only promoted its diversity and nothing else about it and of course it pissed off the chuds and CR immediately backtracked. I’d have to double check where I read that from. Was an article on ANN or somewhere on Twitter I think.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

The Dorohedoro anime is so drat fun and feels like its own beast. It's like watching a really good wrestling match where there's a moment when the guy/gal you didn't expect to drop-kicks a motherfucker and it's an intense-rear end moment, but you're FULLY loving IN for it.

In slightly more coherent English: Watch Dorohedoro. Or read it. It's fun, goofy and hosed-up.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

iirc they said the show was complete, but CR is likely just gonna sit on it forever.

e: looking back, I see multiple people saying that "production had wrapped", which could also just mean it getting shut down.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 7, 2020

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

I’m pretty sure that project is dead. The people behind it got pissed that Crunchyroll only promoted its diversity and nothing else about it and of course it pissed off the chuds and CR immediately backtracked. I’d have to double check where I read that from. Was an article on ANN or somewhere on Twitter I think.

I believe this was another creative complaining about HGS making it harder to pitch other shows.
https://twitter.com/TooncaveProd/status/1297093224641822720?s=19

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What category does Tonikawa fall under? I got the impression that it wasn't actually CR Original in terms of production despite every episode starting with that label.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

What category does Tonikawa fall under? I got the impression that it wasn't actually CR Original in terms of production despite every episode starting with that label.
Crunchyroll is on the committee for that one. They only use the "CR Original" branding for shows where they are.

Netflix on the other hand puts "Netflix Original Anime" on anything they have streaming exclusivity on regardless of whether they were involved in production.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Anyway, Tonikawa at least is very good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Praise the Christ air

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

x

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

this legit makes RWBY season 1 look like the new Lupin movie

I was gonna say, at least rwby's trailers tried to sell the series.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone mentioned Infinite Space (the nude maker game) which reminded me of Infinite Stratos. Was that actual good? I'm going back to confront all my childhood anime. :ohdear:

(I can confirm .Hack//Sign is boring as hell with some lovely music.)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i like .hack//sign

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

.hack//sign TV has some really good ideas and I like the fact we ended up Tsukasa being a girl and ends up dating Subaru but it's not paced well and when I try and rewatch I just sort of end up dropping it

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I finished K-On yesterday. I only had the movie left and, despite knowing how it would end, I still got teary-eyed! What a great show. Now I'm a quarter of the way through Daily Lives of Highschool Boys and it's amazing :allears: I'm sure there's a ton of subtle gags and references I'm missing out on but when jokes land, they land.

I've also started with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, going with the chronological watch order (currently halfway through the second episode, please let me know if I should go with the broadcast order, AFAIK there isn't that much of a difference). So far I've got two observations: a) I love Crispin Freeman as Kyon; b) man, the Mikuru scenes are rough to watch.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People will recommend broadcast order since that gives S1 more of a sense of dramatic buildup and climax, though the "S2"/2009 episodes make that awkward for a first-time viewer since they were made to be slotted into a chronological rebroadcast.

e: though that said I just watched them on their own myself, so it's not a big deal

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 7, 2020

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I finished Nichibros a few weeks back. It maintains the dorky humor pretty much the entire way and Im glad the folks here talked me into watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Azran posted:

I finished K-On yesterday. I only had the movie left and, despite knowing how it would end, I still got teary-eyed! What a great show. Now I'm a quarter of the way through Daily Lives of Highschool Boys and it's amazing :allears: I'm sure there's a ton of subtle gags and references I'm missing out on but when jokes land, they land.

I've also started with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, going with the chronological watch order (currently halfway through the second episode, please let me know if I should go with the broadcast order, AFAIK there isn't that much of a difference). So far I've got two observations: a) I love Crispin Freeman as Kyon; b) man, the Mikuru scenes are rough to watch.

watch broadcast order please.