Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Blacula posted:

Hahaha! it wasnt, so thank you.

I've just learned that Showtime has its own streaming platform, holy poo poo we really are back to paying for every TV channel.

I wonder at what point the cable networks will start bundling all the streaming platforms into several low cost packages...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

JaddaCaddra posted:

Brilliant dissection.

One of my main issues with the show was how Dexter's killings that didn't fit his code were always brushed aside with a cop out, or just plain not addressed. Like in season three, when he kills that one guy in self defense and he spends an episode or two struggling with having killed an innocent man before oh wait it turns out he sold drugs to kids. He was a bad dude so it's cool. Then he ritualistically kills someone in season four and it turns out it was actually the dude's coworker or something behind the killing, but oh it turns out the guy beat women and was an rear end in a top hat so it's fine. Not the type of people Dexter kills usually, but they were bad, it's fine.

100%. The end of season two is especially bad in this regard, iirc they spend a lot of time on whether Dexter should kill Doakes and then completely give him a moral cop-out when Lila does it for him.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So is Hannibal just "Dexter but Good" (good meaning quality)?

I would argue breaking bad or the shield are the thematic "morally compromised character straddling both sides while trying to keep it secret from their police close associates" companions to dexter.

Both are similar in that a lot of the moment to moment tension comes from rooting for a horrible person to succeed in their deception, both are also better and found a better way to end their characters arcs as it all comes crashing down.

Hannibal isn't like that at all, in the way it's plotted or the themes or the characterisations. Despite the crime drama setup It's really more about an abusive relationship between the vulnerable and the manipulative. Hannibal literally only gets caught because he wants to keep loving with Will some more

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 3, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dexter getting couple’s advice from the smugglers he kills was pretty funny

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

massive spider posted:

I would argue breaking bad or the shield are the thematic "morally compromised character straddling both sides while trying to keep it secret from their police close associates" companions to dexter.

Both are similar in that a lot of the moment to moment tension comes from rooting for a horrible person to succeed in their deception, both are also better and found a better way to end their characters arcs as it all comes crashing down.

Hannibal isn't like that at all, in the way it's plotted or the themes or the characterisations. Despite the crime drama setup It's really more about an abusive relationship between the vulnerable and the manipulative. Hannibal literally only gets caught because he wants to keep loving with Will some more

I do think the Shield kind of suffers the same issue that Dexter in that it kind of roots for Mackey in a way. Like not on a personal level but in the lovely things he does as a cop.

Like it never sees him as a heroe but a lot of the lovely stuff he does is presented as effective and in some cases, necessary

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do think the Shield kind of suffers the same issue that Dexter in that it kind of roots for Mackey in a way. Like not on a personal level but in the lovely things he does as a cop.

Like it never sees him as a heroe but a lot of the lovely stuff he does is presented as effective and in some cases, necessary

Very true. While he pretty much always gets results, it ends up costing so much.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
So this is going to be a gritty reboot told from the perspective of Chicky Hines right?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

zer0spunk posted:

So this is going to be a gritty reboot told from the perspective of Chicky Hines right?

It's going to be from the perspective of the pen LaGuerta used for all those circles.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Each episode should be told from a different perspective - the pen, the bench, the hurricane, the salad, the treadmill, chicky hines, office donuts, plastic wrap, etc.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Autoerotic mummification.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

yippeekiyaymf posted:

Each episode should be told from a different perspective - the pen, the bench, the hurricane, the salad, the treadmill, chicky hines, office donuts, plastic wrap, etc.

The bench episode will win an Emmy

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

McSpanky posted:

The bench episode will win an Emmy

It would be hilarious if the bench was the main location where Dexter relives all his issues, murders, and demons each episode.

Sitting next to all the ghosts and memories of what he has done. Like an opposite Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood chair.

The bench would be his purgatory.

Maybe he actually died in the hurricane and comes back to that bench as his place.

Or you know, it’s Dexter so likely not.

Who the hell knows with this show.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
What if Dexter had a cool new jacket?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Is Batista still going to wear Hawaiian shirts?

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 57 days!
episode 4: dexter shops for a new henley

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I still kind of want Batista and Masuka to have known all along, and were fine with it because he was generally a pleasant coworker and didn't cause them any trouble.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t remember the shield doing it that much but tbf it’s been a long time since I watched it so you’re probably right.

That does strengthen the parallel with Dexter though. When the show isn’t treating Dexters serial killing as basically justified vigilantism it’s treating it as a tragic addiction, that could stand in easily for any other so his motives are always relatable to the audience. Hannibals motives are never really excused or expected to be relatable in the same way beyond the sheer delight of indulging in evil.

The other Dexter-but-better is You on Netflix of course which name-checks Dexter explicitly at one point.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

croup coughfield posted:

episode 4: dexter shops for a new henley

but which shade of brown will he choose ..

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

massive spider posted:

I don’t remember the shield doing it that much but tbf it’s been a long time since I watched it so you’re probably right.

That does strengthen the parallel with Dexter though. When the show isn’t treating Dexters serial killing as basically justified vigilantism it’s treating it as a tragic addiction, that could stand in easily for any other so his motives are always relatable to the audience. Hannibals motives are never really excused or expected to be relatable in the same way beyond the sheer delight of indulging in evil.

The other Dexter-but-better is You on Netflix of course which name-checks Dexter explicitly at one point.

i can’t imagine that the shield plays nearly as well in 2020 as it did back in the day; dexter maybe maybe not, depends on how people feel about vigilante murder cop whose day job is bad science

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

i can’t imagine that the shield plays nearly as well in 2020 as it did back in the day; dexter maybe maybe not, depends on how people feel about vigilante murder cop whose day job is bad science

I rewatched The Shield last year and there's a fair bit of "but THESE are the good cops" (Dani, and to a very limited extent, Lem, plus all the uniformed beat cops).

They really do put on all the poo poo to the Strike team, save for Tayvon and Alex, and GUESS WHICH MEMBERS DON'T STICK AROUND?

So, yeah, the Shield runs that line of "some cops are bad". I mean, it WAS originally all about the Rampart scandal.

I gotta say, though, politics aside (and I completely understand if that's not possible to do), it's such a fantastic show. You could argue that it makes the case for "if you're a bad cop, you'll get what's coming to you."

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 57 days!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think that the show portrays some characters as having that perception (and certainly Mackey and his team are always crowing about it), and sometimes throws it to the audience to decide whether or not the bullshit he pulled was worth it. But I'm in the middle of a rewatch right now and haven't really seen any instances of the show taking a unilateral stance on it. I'm up to season 5 now where poo poo gets so far gone that they're basically condemning the strike team in every scene, so I can't imagine it happening from here on out.

Honestly, the Shield never really shows cops in a good light at all. Even the ostensibly "good" cops who aren't actively murdering people are shown pretty consistently as always holding the line, always backing up their fellow cops no matter what hosed up poo poo they get up to, always up their own rear end on a power trip. Good show.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

croup coughfield posted:

I think that the show portrays some characters as having that perception (and certainly Mackey and his team are always crowing about it), and sometimes throws it to the audience to decide whether or not the bullshit he pulled was worth it. But I'm in the middle of a rewatch right now and haven't really seen any instances of the show taking a unilateral stance on it. I'm up to season 5 now where poo poo gets so far gone that they're basically condemning the strike team in every scene, so I can't imagine it happening from here on out.

Honestly, the Shield never really shows cops in a good light at all. Even the ostensibly "good" cops who aren't actively murdering people are shown pretty consistently as always holding the line, always backing up their fellow cops no matter what hosed up poo poo they get up to, always up their own rear end on a power trip. Good show.

Episode two ( I think?) ends with the cops after every option has failed allowing Vic to visciously beat a pedophile to save a girl from certain death and it makes it painfully clear without Vic she would have died.

Another episode is about a cop who tries to work with Hispanic gangbangers to which Vic scoffs as untrustworthy scum which the episode ends with Vics utter hatred for them being 100% correct and the bleeding heart policeman being just an easily manipulated stooge.

Like I think people forget just how pro Vic the show can be especially as the show tended to focus on how lovely Vic was on a personal level

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I haven't seen The Shield, but generally speaking sometimes doing bad things can still result in 'good', and portraying that as well as condemning those terrible actions are not mutually exclusive. So you can have a lovely protagonist whose methods we should not be agreeing with still doing things that end in a 'right' or w/e conclusion.

e: that said wasn't Kurt Sutter one of the showrunners on The Shield? I am not at all surprised if the show veers into fully siding with Mackey being a horrible garbage twat from time to time lmao

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 6, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

esperterra posted:

I haven't seen The Shield, but generally speaking sometimes doing bad things can still result in 'good', and portraying that as well as condemning those terrible actions are not mutually exclusive. So you can have a lovely protagonist whose methods we should not be agreeing with still doing things that end in a 'right' or w/e conclusion.

e: that said wasn't Kurt Sutter one of the showrunners on The Shield? I am not at all surprised if the show veers into fully siding with Mackey being a horrible garbage twat from time to time lmao

Yes, Sutter was a writer for The Shield, but Shawn Ryan was the showrunner.

I wouldn't let that put you off; there are a few Sutter-like elements to it all ("delicious feet", that Kid Rock song in episode 1, and an absolutely baffling revelation for one of the characters that ALMOST happened in finale, y'all know what I'm talking about), but in terms of it being a compelling show, holy poo poo, The Shield is one of my all time favourites, and actually has my favourite series finale ever.

And for the record, I completely hated SoA after season 2. That got to garbage levels and nothing made sense.

The Shield, despite Sutter's involvement, is very good. Very very good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, it's always been on my list. There's just too much drat television to watch!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The problem is that yeah it might suck but it works is the argument usually used for it’s use.

Like most people won’t make the argument that it doesn’t work but it’s fun. Plus you know it doesn’t work in real life. Which is kind of the problem with the shield. It both wants to be a prestige TV show, and a schlocky action police procedural that plays to all those tropes.

Like if the show wanted to be a more grounded character show Shane should have been the protagonist, but Vic was more marketable as the baddass action hero who was a prick, sometimes

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

It both wants to be a prestige TV show, and a schloc

Not particularly relevant to your post, but I don't know if there's a strong difference between these two ideas any more.

Not that Rome, or Oz, ever really proved otherwise.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
If the first note from the showrunner isn't "when Chicky Hines is off screen every character should be asking where is Chicky Hines?“ then count this guy out :colbert:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I wouldn't let that put you off; there are a few Sutter-like elements to it all ("delicious feet", that Kid Rock song in episode 1, and an absolutely baffling revelation for one of the characters that ALMOST happened in finale, y'all know what I'm talking about), but in terms of it being a compelling show, holy poo poo, The Shield is one of my all time favourites, and actually has my favourite series finale ever.

And for the record, I completely hated SoA after season 2. That got to garbage levels and nothing made sense.

I'm a huge Goggins stan, so I love The Shield. But I think it does tend to glamorize Vic a bit too much, although by the end he is unambiguously a piece of poo poo. There's just a few too many cool guy moments for him where he gets to be a badass who gets poo poo done. This is mostly in the first three seasons, which I'm pretty sure was when Kurt Sutter was more involved.

I'm kind of disappointed on some level that they didn't go through with that insane character twist Sutter wanted though. It would've been incredibly stupid but also extremely hilarious if he'd just casually opened his fridge to reveal a bunch of severed heads. That's the kind of nonsensical poo poo I love.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

and an absolutely baffling revelation for one of the characters that ALMOST happened in finale, y'all know what I'm talking about)

wizardofloneliness posted:

I'm kind of disappointed on some level that they didn't go through with that insane character twist Sutter wanted though. It would've been incredibly stupid but also extremely hilarious if he'd just casually opened his fridge to reveal a bunch of severed heads. That's the kind of nonsensical poo poo I love.

I assume this is referring to Dutch? Because there was that time he strangled a cat and then they never followed up on it so I am in agreement with the extremely hilarious reveal angle.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not particularly relevant to your post, but I don't know if there's a strong difference between these two ideas any more.

Not that Rome, or Oz, ever really proved otherwise.

Well I meant in more as a character piece about how everyone is a piece of poo poo, versus gently caress yeah baddass cops.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I assume this is referring to Dutch? Because there was that time he strangled a cat and then they never followed up on it so I am in agreement with the extremely hilarious reveal angle.

Never followed up on it? It was the end of that mini-arc.

He was egged on, over and over and over, from Clark Gregg's character, about really understanding the mind of a serial killer. I THINK the guy even told Dutch that it's inside everyone.

So Dutch, being obsessed with his work and understanding everything there is to know about the mind of a killer, kills the cat, and at that moment, realizes that no, he's NOT like them because he's horrified at what he just did.

He proved the guy wrong.

Anyway, I love the character of Dutch so much that I'm super glad that they didn't go through with that stupid poo poo.

Edit: Dexter: ITT we discuss better shows.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Never followed up on it? It was the end of that mini-arc.

He was egged on, over and over and over, from Clark Gregg's character, about really understanding the mind of a serial killer. I THINK the guy even told Dutch that it's inside everyone.

So Dutch, being obsessed with his work and understanding everything there is to know about the mind of a killer, kills the cat, and at that moment, realizes that no, he's NOT like them because he's horrified at what he just did.

He proved the guy wrong.

Anyway, I love the character of Dutch so much that I'm super glad that they didn't go through with that stupid poo poo.

Edit: Dexter: ITT we discuss better shows.

I completely forgot that it was the end to that arc. :negative:

I still think the ending would have been really funny though, in a dumb way.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I completely forgot that it was the end to that arc. :negative:

I still think the ending would have been really funny though, in a dumb way.

I don't disagree, but I still believe that the show is better for not having it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I mainly think The Shield is a B+ show, but that finale is as A+ as they get. It's so good.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Turns out the Lumen season was the last I saw when the show was airing, so I'm in unwatched territory now.

Season 6 speculation but I'm spoilering it anyway.

I quite like Brother Sam (so he's almost definitely going to turn out to be I dunno, reincarnated Hitler or something). I'm pretty sure Harrison's young nanny is Munchausen by Proxying Harrison. The whole "two insane serial killers Rube Goldberging loving Saw death machines in public places" thing is stretching what little credibility remained in this show.

And apparently it gets even dumber from here?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Turns out the Lumen season was the last I saw when the show was airing, so I'm in unwatched territory now.

I quite like Brother Sam (so he's almost definitely going to turn out to be I dunno, reincarnated Hitler or something). I'm pretty sure Harrison's young nanny is Munchausen by Proxying Harrison. The whole "two insane serial killers Rube Goldberging loving Saw death machines in public places" thing is stretching what little credibility remained in this show.

It gets so much dumber, but worse, it gets so much more boring.

I feel like s6 was the last time anyone involved in the show tried to have any fun. S6 should have happened right after Trinity, and then s7 should have had a "Dexter-on-the-run/reckoning for all of his past crimes" ending.

Spoilers, but none of that happens!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 8, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Der Shovel posted:

Bless you pls continue to trip report

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

S6 episode 5.

- OK so Brother Sam isn't a super secret assassin serial killer, he just got shot to pieces so Dexter could have something to do and do the whole "does Dexter have emotions AFTER ALL?!!?" plotline for the ... 780th time?
- The whole Deb / Quinn has sex with a person who turns out to be the killer / the killer's relative / the killer's associate thing is kinda worn territory at this point but I guess here we go again!
- It's extremely obvious Brother Sam's shooter is Nick, because the dog wasn't barking when Sam got got and he barks at everyone but Sam and Nick.
- For someone whose picture as the loving Doomsday Killer was posted in the newspapers, the professor sure is cavalier about walking around in bright daylight. Despite going "well I better not show my face in public anymore, huh?" moments earlier.

This isn't amazing.

E: moving right on to episode 6.

- Yep, Quinn's new lady friend shockingly turned out to be a bit more involved than they thought.
- Yep, Nick sure is the shooter all right but I'm glad we got there without Dexter circling and underlining "dog = not barking?" on a piece of paper 50 times.
- At this point Dexter just outright has magical powers. There's a large pool of blood on the floor, and based on that single large pool of blood he can perfectly call where the shooter was standing, how he moved between shots, how the shots missed vital organs due to Brother Sam's precise position etc.
- "I could give a gently caress who you gently caress. Just don't gently caress with my investigation, you gently caress". Poetry!
- If this season is leading to Dexter becoming religious I'm gonna flip my poo poo.
- I still think Jamie is Munchausening Harrison.
- RIP Mos Def, you were too good for this show.
- Batista punching Quinn, living the dream.
- Oh lol now he's seeing the Ice Truck Killer again.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

S6 episode 5.

- If this season is leading to Dexter becoming religious I'm gonna flip my poo poo.

I'm not saying whether he does or not, but this was literally the poster for the season.

Please do not stop posting your thoughts, this is the content threads like these were made for.

Also, I'm pretty sure, aside from you, literally no one who's invested in this thread needs spoilers. Feel free not to use them.