Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

CommieGIR posted:

You can easily do that by reaching out to people who are not voting without pretending we're going to reform fascists. Like, there's 25-30% of America who never or rarely votes.

While it's true there's a huge number of new voters who can hypothetically be turned out, there's also no guarantee they'll turn out for us葉his election is proof positive, as both Biden and Trump turned out millions of new voters, ending up with what will probably be the greatest electoral turnout since before women got the right to vote. Not saying we shouldn't focus on converting new voters, because of course we should, but it's also not a foolproof strategy容specially when focusing on downballot races and different districts with different compositions of voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
edit : nevermind

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

They couldn't pass an ACA repeal,

tried to and only failed because Trump got into a slap fight with McCain, which probably says more about DJT being dumb as hell and picking fights with people rather than GOP ineptitude.

quote:

Didn't even bother to try and pass immigration legislation,the long-promised infrastructure bill, or even ~the wall~

https://ballotpedia.org/115th_Congress_on_immigration,_2017-2018

Edit: as far as I can tell most of the GOP's being stymied on certain things is because Trump kept doing out right illegal poo poo or picking fights with his congress critters. You put a competent exec at the head of the GOP, a Bush or A reagan and we'd have real problems to deal with.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 6, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wins32767 posted:

It does tell me something! It's a hate the sin, love the sinner sort of situation for me. And to be clear, I'm not arguing for a "let's meet in the middle" sort of bipartisanship. But I am saying if just barely under half the country is voting for a wannabe strongman, we're going to have to accept some of them back into the fold if we want to fix things. Like 100,000 strategically placed votes are currently the margin between fascism and not. I'm doing my best to make that 100,005 votes and would sure like some more help.

You want to neutralize a trump supporter's vote? I convinced my father, who has never voted in 65 years of his life, and has spent the last 5 years bitching about Trump's existence, to register to vote Trump out. The man had the absolute massive balls to do it in person, during a pandemic, in a county which went 85% Trump, and let everyone know about it in the voting precinct when he voted (for the record he is from NY, so he's not a born and raised southerner). He's one of the folks contributing to the razor thin margin in GA that's giving Biden the edge over Trump there.

Convince the people who aren't registered to vote to vote, get them to speak out, get them to make their stance heard. gently caress the idiots with their heads up their asses who supported a Fascist because it let them be awful.

My dad's a stubborn son of a bitch, we don't see eye to eye, and he's probably going to catch COVID from a maskless CHUD for showing up to vote at the precinct a couple days ago, but he didn't want to do mail in because he was terrified the postal service would dump his ballot in a creek.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 6, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Defenestrategy posted:

tried to and only failed because Trump got into a slap fight with McCain, which probably says more about DJT being dumb as hell and picking fights with people rather than GOP ineptitude.

It was GOP ineptitude, though葉he "skinny repeal" the Senate eventually got only barely passed the house (Because the Freedom Caucus was/is loving insane), and the bill was too far for multiple GOP senators other than McCain. They literally could not come together on one of their biggest campaign promises (To repeal the ACA) and that is a scathing indictment of their ability to pass legislation.

Take another look葉his is literally the House and Senate passing different bills that couldn't be reconciled at each other, because the House refused to pass anything that stood a chance in hell of getting through the Senate.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MazelTovCocktail posted:

We’re awesome.

So every indication I'm seeing is that in the big cities, including Philly and Detroit, Donnie actually did better than 2016. He went from nuclearfire dogshit, to hellfire dogshit, but there was still an improvement, like by 2%.

The main difference between 2016/2020 is that the nearby burbs moved bigly. That counterbalanced the slight non-white bleedoff in the cities.

Anyways, the GA doublerace might not be as far gone as I thought:

https://twitter.com/kkondik/status/1324832710452498434?s=19

Everyone smart really needs to figure out what happened, fast, then fix it. My best guess at #1 - time to knock on doors again. The pandemic will be worse, but it's time to knock on doors.

As I was typing this, Biden's margin just doubled in Georgia. Boop.

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1324835114803699719?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
New post 'cause I missed the edit!

Defenestrategy posted:

Edit: as far as I can tell most of the GOP's being stymied on certain things is because Trump kept doing out right illegal poo poo or picking fights with his congress critters. You put a competent exec at the head of the GOP, a Bush or A reagan and we'd have real problems to deal with.

Trump being (ironically) an awful negotiator who was hands-off with legislation was certainly part of it, but a reality of the legislative process is that it involves a lot of unpleasant deal-making and reaching across the aisle. And the Republicans, who had previously eliminated earmarks and operate on a "Majority of the Majority" basis (i.e. any proposed legislation has to be able to pass with a majority of the caucus) were effectively stymied from taking any major legislative action because Paul Ryan couldn't control the House and the GOP barely even tried to get moderate Dems in the Senate on board.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

orange juche posted:

You want to neutralize a trump supporter's vote? I convinced my father, who has never voted in 65 years of his life, and has spent the last 5 years bitching about Trump's existence, to register to vote Trump out. The man had the absolute massive balls to do it in person, during a pandemic, in a county which went 85% Trump, and let everyone know about it in the voting precinct when he voted (for the record he is from NY, so he's not a born and raised southerner). He's one of the folks contributing to the razor thin margin in GA that's giving Biden the edge over Trump there.

Convince the people who aren't registered to vote to vote, get them to speak out, get them to make their stance heard. gently caress the idiots with their heads up their asses who supported a Fascist because it let them be awful.

My dad's a stubborn son of a bitch, we don't see eye to eye, and he's probably going to catch COVID from a maskless CHUD for showing up to vote at the precinct a couple days ago, but he didn't want to do mail in because he was terrified the postal service would dump his ballot in a creek.

Your dad and you are both awesome.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

wins32767 posted:

Completely agreed.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Hekk posted:

:sherman: gang tag gang checking in.

:same:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

wins32767 posted:

Agreed!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

in great election news
https://twitter.com/Douglas_Main/status/1324820268808835072?s=20

great little vid on how the reintroduction of wolves in yellowstone improved the whole area.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wins32767 posted:

For the record though I'm not advocating for activating someone who's a CHUD who isn't registered to vote. Find people who want progressive policies, but feel like they're alienated from the process, and get them to register to vote, and encourage them to vote for candidates that support their values. The only way to get more progressive policies is to get people who aren't registered to vote, who want those policies, to register to vote.

If you know someone who wants to run for a local office who is progressive, but is debating whether it would make a difference, encourage them to get involved and to run.

Biden is absolutely not that candidate, but it is at least a tourniquet on the leg of this country which might give us time to save our lives. Don't stop reaching out to folks who want more progressive policies, don't stop voting for progressive folks at the local level and state level. Just because Trump is gone is not the time to slack off, continue the full court push because that's the only way to gain ground back against the right wing machine.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Sherman me. Also 1st Minnesota most badass Minnesota unit. Which is saying something considering the Red Bulls.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Brute Squad posted:

in great election news

great little vid on how the reintroduction of wolves in yellowstone improved the whole area.

I'm glad this passed. I saw a wolf near Gould, Colorado last year. They are already in the state but will need more study and protections.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

orange juche posted:

[Being awesome]

If a chuddy gently caress doesn't give him COVID, out of curiosity, any chance you could get your dad to get an absentee for the double-senate race?

That might be too much to ask, but at least maybe he could drop it off at a clerk's office next time :shobon:

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

orange juche posted:

For the record though I'm not advocating for activating someone who's a CHUD who isn't registered to vote. Find people who want progressive policies, but feel like they're alienated from the process, and get them to register to vote, and encourage them to vote for candidates that support their values. The only way to get more progressive policies is to get people who aren't registered to vote, who want those policies, to register to vote.

If you know someone who wants to run for a local office who is progressive, but is debating whether it would make a difference, encourage them to get involved and to run.

Biden is absolutely not that candidate, but it is at least a tourniquet on the leg of this country which might give us time to save our lives. Don't stop reaching out to folks who want more progressive policies, don't stop voting for progressive folks at the local level and state level. Just because Trump is gone is not the time to slack off, continue the full court push because that's the only way to gain ground back against the right wing machine.
Yeah, we're not far apart. Been going to a lot more of my town government meetings and supporting a coworker who has been doing some great community organizing and trying to get her to run. I'm just an idealist and I don't want to give up on people who are getable, even if they voted for Trump.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Brute Squad posted:

in great election news

Aw man, that's awesome! I saw some wolves when I stopped through Yellowstone earlier this year and it was unquestionably one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Hekk posted:

:sherman: gang tag gang checking in.

As a former Georgia resident, it's always a good idea to have Uncle Billy come by now and again to clean house :sherman:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/Lesdoggg/status/1324807523556192256

I can't watch the TV coverage because I'll go insane, but this is the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

If a chuddy gently caress doesn't give him COVID, out of curiosity, any chance you could get your dad to get an absentee for the double-senate race?

That might be too much to ask, but at least maybe he could drop it off at a clerk's office next time :shobon:

oh yeah, he's fully turned on now, he's going to continue voting he says. He said it felt pretty good to feel like his opinion in how the country should be run matters.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
VP and PressSec have started wiping their twitter going back to at least the 31st.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

VP and PressSec have started wiping their twitter going back to at least the 31st.

Can they do that, like legally? Those are official accounts. Wonder if any blowback will happen now that it seems Twitter officially is turning against the Trump regime.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/robertjdenault/status/1324718053376995328?s=21

PUMP IT INTO MY VEINS!

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Not true, unfortunately. Would love to catch those fuckers burning the records, but...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I know I posted interest in this earlier oh, but how do we get in on that Sherman gang tag action for the CE thread? I'd like to volunteer for his goon March to the Sea.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I壇 like in on the Sherman gang tag as well :getin:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'd give up a Gang Tag for a Sherman tag, swap out the "Police will never help you" since that wasn't actually what was in the old game and was photoshopped in.

(for the record police will never help you but I guess policy is you can only have 2 free gang tags)

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I'd be down for the Sherman tag

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Remora posted:

Not true, unfortunately. Would love to catch those fuckers burning the records, but...

Yeah, it was an overreaction. They just haven't posted anything.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

I know I posted interest in this earlier oh, but how do we get in on that Sherman gang tag action for the CE thread? I'd like to volunteer for his goon March to the Sea.

Same

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I値l take a shermtag

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The noise about the Supreme Court potentially tossing "late" PA ballots (because it was extended by a judge and not a legislature) worked.

https://twitter.com/DKaplanWTAE/status/1324844461554356226?s=19

Won't even be a blip and possibly those voters are in the provisional queue anyways in Pittsburgh. Shouldn't matter.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

wins32767 posted:

Yep, and we should prosecute folks who broke the law from Trump on down, full stop. But we're going to have to get a big chunk of our fellow citizens that voted for Trump to help fix the problems that exist in our country or they get worse and saying "gently caress em" isn't exactly the best way to start that process.

gently caress off with this lib nonsense.

smdftb

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Do it again, Uncle Billy!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

orange juche posted:

Please thank your dad for me.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Hegel Exercises posted:

gently caress off with this lib nonsense.

smdftb

Yep, viewing all humans as inherently equal and having value, even if they've done bad things, sure is nonsense. People who do bad things are unredeemable and should be punished harshly. What was I thinking?

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Woofer posted:

I値l take a shermtag

Emptyquoting because :sherman:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1324846580147642369

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have no art or design skill, but I of course want a tag too, so anyone here with drawing or designs skills, well beyond crayon based cuisine, is welcome to get the ball rolling.