Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Kmart still existing is the craziest thing I've heard all year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

TyroneGoldstein posted:

This is me as well and it's having an effect of me not buying even well known brands from them. I dont trust that it isn't knockoffs. I don't think I'm alone in this.

You're not. If it's crucial that I get a specific, legit product, I only go to Amazon when it's something that would be too difficult to counterfeit like a new TV or something that there wouldn't be enough of a market to counterfeit for, like specific ancient computer hardware.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

People definitely end up with knockoffs of things from Amazon all the time. I'd expect it's usually third-party sellers and all, and you mostly avoid it by making sure it's Amazon fulfillment, but even then I feel like you can't trust some things. I don't buy anything from Amazon anymore that would even be worth counterfeiting.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed, but it's hard not to default to them the first time I look for something. Free shipping and their return policy are great but what's the point if I keep returning half the things I buy for various reasons? Especially clothes that end up not fitting.

I'm giving kmart a shot this week, since it turns out they sell some brands of clothing that aren't on amazon anymore and I know they fit.

Same, plus the pandemic. I've already had COVID, it made my poor respiration worse, and I am afraid to catch it again.

I normally never buy clothes that I can't try on, but a bunch of close shops near here won't let people try things on right now for obvious reasons. I ordered some polo shits there that were very cheap, and I didn't even get what I paid for. They were much too small for the advertised size (I tried a size larger and noticed no difference), itchy and clearly very poorly made. I sent everything back and ended up getting four new shirts from local department stores for about $2 more per.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Amazon warehouse deals are also quite funny. The grading and pricing system makes no sense and doesn't work. Sometimes half the item is missing and it's marked "like new" for like 1% less (sometimes saying that half the thing is missing and sometimes not), sometimes it's slightly scratched and marked down a decent amount as "acceptable", sometimes poo poo is broken and marked as "very good". For lower priority items you can just go full rear end in a top hat and perpetuate the circle: buy warehouse deal items, if anything is not as described replace them with a new item, create a return for the new item and send the misgraded warehouse deal back instead.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

People definitely end up with knockoffs of things from Amazon all the time. I'd expect it's usually third-party sellers and all, and you mostly avoid it by making sure it's Amazon fulfillment, but even then I feel like you can't trust some things. I don't buy anything from Amazon anymore that would even be worth counterfeiting.

Uh.....no. You're missing a pretty loving old and well known FBA scam vector.

All things that are the "same" are the same SKU. Let's just say, one of the big scam targets, refrigerator water filters.

So you've got an LG fridge. And you decide to buy a water filter for it from Amazon, but you are "savvy" so you make sure the seller is LG, but it's FBA (fulfilled by Amazon) so you get prime. Great. You're so worldly.

Except the part you don't know is that there are 14 other sellers of that same filter. More than half of them are selling counterfeits. When any of them are submitted to the amazon warehouse the are put IN THE SAME BIN AS THE ONES FROM LG. Whether you get a legitimate one that was sent to the warehouse by LG, a legitimate one sent by some other seller to the warehouse, or one sent to the warehouse by a scammer is 100% out of your control. Because who "sells" it on the interface you are looking at is completely irrelevant. All that matters to where it is binned and picked from is what the supplier claims the SKU is. So now you're down to random luck as to which one the picker grabs out of the bin.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 6, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I thought they stopped doing that lmao

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

They said they were going to do something about it in a press release the last time this bubbled up.......they very obviously didn't. Or maybe they did and missed one or more other things that have the exact same result.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's the capacitor plague, but for household items. How do they know which are the fakes now that they're all together?

Just gonna have to roll the dice until the bad inventory cycles out.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Motronic posted:

Except the part you don't know is that there are 14 other sellers of that same filter. More than half of them are selling counterfeits. When any of them are submitted to the amazon warehouse the are put IN THE SAME BIN AS THE ONES FROM LG.
FYI Amazon doesn't sort the warehouse stock so there is no "product ___" bin that anyone can go to to pick out counterfeits.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If there are suppliers providing counterfeits to amazon, is there any reason they wouldn't end up at Target or Wal-Mart as well?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed, but it's hard not to default to them the first time I look for something. Free shipping and their return policy are great but what's the point if I keep returning half the things I buy for various reasons? Especially clothes that end up not fitting.

I'm giving kmart a shot this week, since it turns out they sell some brands of clothing that aren't on amazon anymore and I know they fit.

You can usually get the exact same products from aliexpress anyways for like half the price

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

If there are suppliers providing counterfeits to amazon, is there any reason they wouldn't end up at Target or Wal-Mart as well?

It’s not suppliers, it’s that they were mixing sellers who utilized FBA products together if they were the same SKU. So in this example no because Target would only be selling product supplied by LG. I am not aware if Walmart is doing fulfillment for their marketplace but I would doubt they would mix SKUs.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The best way to avoid getting knockoff product from Amazon is to only buy things off Amazon that are actually offered for sale by Amazon themselves. Not just fulfilled by them.

Unfortunately they make it extremely difficult to limit your searches to Amazon-sold products only; only giving you the option on their site to do it if you're browsing a specific department. But the search options work globally, so I made a search box that adds that filter to a global search.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Quality control is the other shoe that drops after disintermediation every loving time. Except for Uber, where the other shoe is oops, you destroyed your car.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I pre ordered a PS5 (the one with a disk drive) in person back in September at Gamestop. Put money down. Today I went in, traded my PS4 pro towards it, and went to pay off the rest of the money I owed on it. They inform me that unless I upgrade it to a bundle pack, they would release my PS5. Requiring me to spend an extra $100 to get it. I did, but how loving scummy of them.

Last time I’m buying from them, glad I’m going digital for PS5 games.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 12, 2020

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

LionArcher posted:

So I pre ordered a PS5 (the one with a disk drive) in person back in September. Put money down. Today I went in, traded my PS4 pro towards it, and went to pay off the rest of the money I owed on it. They inform me that unless I upgrade it to a bundle pack, they would release my PS5. Requiring me to spend an extra $100 to get it. I did, but how loving scummy of them.

Last time I’m buying from them, glad I’m going digital for PS5 games.

I’m assuming this is GameStop?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I’m assuming this is GameStop?

Yeah, edited my OP. Shocker that you guessed it correctly right?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

LionArcher posted:

Yeah, edited my OP. Shocker that you guessed it correctly right?

If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to buy a PS5? I don't mean this in a snarky way, I promise - I am just curious. I genuinely thought for a moment that they would be 100% backwards compatible from PS1 to PS4, which in retrospect seems ridiculous, but I would have spent $600 for such a thing. When I found out that that wasn't the case and it is only somewhat backwards compatible with the PS4 (again, I feel silly for even dreaming it), I lost all interest. Backwards compatibility is super important to me and I still have an old PS3 that plays PS2 and PS1 games. Nevertheless, I am interested in your reasons.

I also knew that it was GameStop, partially because that's what we've been talking about recently and partly because that sounds exactly like what they would do, and I am not the least surprised that they bait & switched you like that. I worked at a similar shoppe around the time of the PS2 long years ago and they did something similar then.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 12, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
"somewhat" is really underselling the PS4 back compatibility of the ps5

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Yeah it's like 99%+ backwards compatible. A bunch of titles run better on the PS5, even.

I pre-ordered a digital one because I've never owned a playstation, but there are some cool PS4 titles that I want to play, particularly Ghost of Tsushima. The controller looks really sweet too.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to buy a PS5? I don't mean this in a snarky way, I promise - I am just curious. I genuinely thought for a moment that they would be 100% backwards compatible from PS1 to PS4, which in retrospect seems ridiculous, but I would have spent $600 for such a thing. When I found out that that wasn't the case and it is only somewhat backwards compatible with the PS4 (again, I feel silly for even dreaming it), I lost all interest. Backwards compatibility is super important to me and I still have an old PS3 that plays PS2 and PS1 games. Nevertheless, I am interested in your reasons.

I also knew that it was GameStop, partially because that's what we've been talking about recently and partly because that sounds exactly like what they would do, and I am not the least surprised that they bait & switched you like that. I worked at a similar shoppe around the time of the PS2 long years ago and they did something similar then.

No snark read into the comment. it's really simple. I have a ton of PS4 games that I haven't played, but the PS4 sounds like a jet engine. I had a chance to upgrade, and down the line there's a list of games I want on the PS5. And I am a weirdo who likes physical movies media so having a good 4k player is also nice. So it's a list of things, and the PS4 games I do have will play better on the PS5 and all of them will work.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

And the load times on the PS4 are absolute poo poo, too.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mister Facetious posted:

And the load times on the PS4 are absolute poo poo, too.

And suddenly I want a ps5.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is the quality of the backwards compatibility with PS4 games the same for disk and digital versions? Like if ____ game is 100% compatible from the PSN will it be the same as when it's on disk? I know this is sort of a stupid question but the 360 and the One both had some oddness with this for awhile.

I feel like I am going to wait for the inevitable PS5 slim/pro/whatever but I definitely want one if the BC is 99% there just for the faster loading/some games running better.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Is the quality of the backwards compatibility with PS4 games the same for disk and digital versions? Like if ____ game is 100% compatible from the PSN will it be the same as when it's on disk? I know this is sort of a stupid question but the 360 and the One both had some oddness with this for awhile.

I feel like I am going to wait for the inevitable PS5 slim/pro/whatever but I definitely want one if the BC is 99% there just for the faster loading/some games running better.

Games on disc are installed to the drive and updated to the latest patch; after that the only reason for the disc to exist is purchase authentication when you try to run the game.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
A few disc games even run slightly better (e.g. Last Guardian) because the 1.0 version has an uncapped frame rate that was letter patched to a locked 30. The uncapped 1.0 versions are able to take advantage of the PS5s power but only patched versions are available on PSN. (Of course you are missing out on bug fixes in later patches...)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Motronic posted:

Uh.....no. You're missing a pretty loving old and well known FBA scam vector.

All things that are the "same" are the same SKU. Let's just say, one of the big scam targets, refrigerator water filters.

So you've got an LG fridge. And you decide to buy a water filter for it from Amazon, but you are "savvy" so you make sure the seller is LG, but it's FBA (fulfilled by Amazon) so you get prime. Great. You're so worldly.

Except the part you don't know is that there are 14 other sellers of that same filter. More than half of them are selling counterfeits. When any of them are submitted to the amazon warehouse the are put IN THE SAME BIN AS THE ONES FROM LG. Whether you get a legitimate one that was sent to the warehouse by LG, a legitimate one sent by some other seller to the warehouse, or one sent to the warehouse by a scammer is 100% out of your control. Because who "sells" it on the interface you are looking at is completely irrelevant. All that matters to where it is binned and picked from is what the supplier claims the SKU is. So now you're down to random luck as to which one the picker grabs out of the bin.

taqueso posted:

What could go wrong?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/ps5-amazon-stock-wrong-products-uk-b1760297.html

quote:

Customers who pre-ordered Sony’s PlayStation 5 console from Amazon were given products they never ordered – including a coffee machines, foot massager, and cat food – instead of the latest console.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I'm just gonna reach out on a limb here and suggest, maybe just don't order from Amazon? I've given my story before about being a manufacture selling directly through Amazon. They are terrible, their ops is ridiculous and EVERY function that can(not should) be outsourced is. We canceled our accounts almost a year ago today and they still send us orders based on an algorithm that isn't selling anything. So much of Amazon from a business stand point is just run on autopilot the moment the project is finished. Vendor Central is mostly broken hyperlinks or outdated self-help documentation.

Other big-box retailers do delivery now, anything outside of retail goods can generally be found through an eBay vendor(often times its the same seller, you just not giving Bezos his cut.)

Protip: if you live somewhere that packages tend to disappear, get a mailbox at your local UPS or other mailbox etc place. I know with COVID the world is trying to kill you but those places adapted pretty quick to that reality. YMMV, but its worth the 15$/mo to know your poo poo takes 1 day less to show up, will be signed for and not roll a 1 and get stolen/dropped in the gutter.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Discussion > Disease & Disaster > Retail Collapse Covid-19: gonna suggest maybe just don't order from Amazon?

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
I've literally never ordered off of Amazon because I worked at independent bookstores in the mid oughts and watched it demolish them in real time.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I got 2 ps5's from amazon just fine, those uk ones were swapped/stolen at shipping centers, whi0ch would happen regardless of where you got it from and is a different problem.
Not that I like amazon but this is a different issue

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Gonna cross post this from the Tech Nightmare thread:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dp...ocial-movements

quote:

an Amazon spokesperson confirmed, that Amazon has hired Pinkerton operatives—from the notorious spy agency known for its union-busting activities—to gather intelligence on warehouse workers.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Poor Bezos wouldn’t be disgustingly rich if he had to deal with unions. He’d just be grossly rich and that’s unacceptable.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been disciplined enough to avoid shopping on Amazon for years now and I'm starting to look down on people who aren't.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Mister Facetious posted:

Gonna cross post this from the Tech Nightmare thread:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dp...ocial-movements
Really, the cherry on top of the whole "lamest dystopian future/Gilded Age 2.0" thing.

NaanViolence posted:

I've been disciplined enough to avoid shopping on Amazon for years now and I'm starting to look down on people who aren't.
I use Prime Video quite a bit, but yeah, other than rare instances where I genuinely need something immediately, I don't buy much of anything. Paper towels basically didn't exist at any nearby groceries back in the summer, and the only source I could find that actually had them online with same day delivery was Prime.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

NaanViolence posted:

I occasionally buy stuff on Amazon, but yeah, I get puzzled when goons talk about Amazon's monopoly threat--there are so many big retail competitors to Amazon, both online and not, where you can buy all of your stuff.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

silence_kit posted:

I occasionally buy stuff on Amazon, but yeah, I get puzzled when goons talk about Amazon's monopoly threat--there are so many big retail competitors to Amazon, both online and not, where you can buy all of your stuff.

They have enormous market power, especially over all the smaller merchants operating on their platform. There's a reason the European Commission is looking at them and they've been repeatedly forced to change their practices.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Fame Douglas posted:

They have enormous market power, especially over all the smaller merchants operating on their platform. There's a reason the European Commission is looking at them and they've been repeatedly forced to change their practices.
It seems every retail giant is awful. In the 2000s before Amazon's ascendency, Wal-mart was getting al of the headlines for being a big abusive, exploitive retail entity. I don't believe Target, Lowes, Home Depot, Kroger, etc. are all shining bastions in perfect corporate/social balance. The closest I've heard to having that balance is maybe Costco.

Don't me wrong; it seems nearly all of America's corporate retail entities are grossly exploitive of its laborers, local/federal governments (largely through tax "relief"), and their suppliers. That's awful and I hate knowing that through my patronage, I'm supporting all of that.

So what is the realistic alternative?

(please don't say "small business" if you're looking to get away from labor exploitation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cheesus posted:

It seems every retail giant is awful. In the 2000s before Amazon's ascendency, Wal-mart was getting al of the headlines for being a big abusive, exploitive retail entity. I don't believe Target, Lowes, Home Depot, Kroger, etc. are all shining bastions in perfect corporate/social balance. The closest I've heard to having that balance is maybe Costco.

Don't me wrong; it seems nearly all of America's corporate retail entities are grossly exploitive of its laborers, local/federal governments (largely through tax "relief"), and their suppliers. That's awful and I hate knowing that through my patronage, I'm supporting all of that.

So what is the realistic alternative?

(please don't say "small business" if you're looking to get away from labor exploitation)

Nationalized digital storefront.