Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheAardvark posted:

Jello poke cake with orange jello and vanilla frosting is my legit favorite dessert but lol if I'm making one just for myself

Have you tried not being alone

Because I've been thinking about trying it myself, it sounds nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

:same:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

The Bloop posted:

There is a thing that my mom makes that sounds dumb but is amazing called Jello Cake

Essentially, you bake a cake, then make jello mix to a slightly different recipe than if you were making regular jello and pour it INTO the cake (you first poke tons of holes in the cake with a toothpick)

The jello sets INSIDE the cake, and you can't really detect it at all, it's just the most moist cake I've ever had in a bright fruity flavor (I like lemon the best). Cool whip as the icing on top and it is a delightful cool treat on a hot summer day.

I should really get the recipe and probably post it for the thread to make and criticize my childhood nostalgia

edit: this looks like it here, basically: https://lilluna.com/jello-poke-cake/
Do the same thing, but use pudding mix while the cake is still warm and let it in pour through the holes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cage posted:

Do the same thing, but use pudding mix while the cake is still warm and let it in pour through the holes.

This is also good but that's a much heavier dessert

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

The Bloop posted:

I don't care that it's basically air-filled vegetable oil. Whipped cream is just air filled cow excretion. I don't see why that's any better

Cows have personality. Vegetables don't.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Data Graham posted:

I think Cool Whip is fine, it's Miracle Whip that is the devil's false whip

I wanted to like MW but learned it contains HFCS which is the devil being frank and honest

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
When I was a kid, we only ever had Miracle Whip in the house, but we called it mayo so I thought it was the same thing and never understood why other families' potato salad at the potluck tasted so different. When I went off to college, I learned that you are supposed to refrigerate Miracle Whip after it's been opened, which in retrospect explains a lot.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

wheatpuppy posted:

When I went off to college, I learned that you are supposed to refrigerate Miracle Whip after it's been opened, which in retrospect explains a lot.

:stare:

Like doesn't that poo poo go bad unrefrigerated after being opened? How much miracle whip did y'all go through?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
See also: ketchup, jam/jelly, margarine, pickles - basically if it was a "condiment" it lived in the cupboard or on the kitchen table. I believed my parents that "refrigerate after opening" was just a suggestion.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

wheatpuppy posted:

See also: ketchup, jam/jelly, margarine, pickles - basically if it was a "condiment" it lived in the cupboard or on the kitchen table. I believed my parents that "refrigerate after opening" was just a suggestion.

On the upside you survived and now have an 18 CON

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

dog nougat posted:

:stare:

Like doesn't that poo poo go bad unrefrigerated after being opened? How much miracle whip did y'all go through?

Look, the commercials said it was supposed to be ... tangy.

Also, Mom put "mayo" on every sandwich at lunch for 6 people so yeah, we went through it relatively quickly.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

wheatpuppy posted:

Ughhhh. :barf:

5-ish years ago I used to have a housemate that would leave her juice unrefrigerated after opening it, like for days at a time. Unsurprisingly she got sick fairly often. She was actually just an all around awful cook and would just throw random poo poo together in a pot and heat it up.

At one point there was a garden and the landlady was growing okra. This chick literally just cooked a loving pot of okra and was super proud of it and offered it to everyone else. I suppose she ate it. I never asked. Once, she made a cake as well at some point, it came out dry as hell and sorta undercooked at the same time, and was overwhelmingly bland. I assume she didn't follow a recipe and just kinda guessed at how to make a cake.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

It's important to have fresh ground salt

It's me, I'm the guy who uses a salt grinder

I like small grains for some things, large grains for other things, and I don't like the texture of the kosher salt I've bought - the grains are concretions of tinier salt grains, rather than single crystals. So instead I grind as needed unless I'm baking

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

dog nougat posted:

Ughhhh. :barf:

5-ish years ago I used to have a housemate that would leave her juice unrefrigerated after opening it, like for days at a time. Unsurprisingly she got sick fairly often. She was actually just an all around awful cook and would just throw random poo poo together in a pot and heat it up.

At one point there was a garden and the landlady was growing okra. This chick literally just cooked a loving pot of okra and was super proud of it and offered it to everyone else. I suppose she ate it. I never asked. Once, she made a cake as well at some point, it came out dry as hell and sorta undercooked at the same time, and was overwhelmingly bland. I assume she didn't follow a recipe and just kinda guessed at how to make a cake.

if you leave starchy stuff like rice or pasta sitting out long enough, it will straight up kill you if you eat it. there was this kid in Europe who ate some noodles that had been sitting out for like a week and he dropped dead of liver failure almost immediately.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

uber_stoat posted:

if you leave starchy stuff like rice or pasta sitting out long enough, it will straight up kill you if you eat it. there was this kid in Europe who ate some noodles that had been sitting out for like a week and he dropped dead of liver failure almost immediately.

Yeah, it was pretty stupid.
https://www.businessinsider.com/student-died-in-his-sleep-after-eating-5-day-old-pasta-that-had-been-left-out-2019-1

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey

So ya know what I made this morning

Ersatz Sizzler cheese toast

Circa 1987

:yum:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wow, that's a pretty dismaying stock photo they used for the article

What in the gently caress

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just some spider leg salad, what?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Looks like hijiki salad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

wheatpuppy posted:

I know jelly probably needs to be refrigerated, but ketchup and pickles probably are fine if you eat them fairly often. The whole purpose of vinegar is to preserve foods without refrigeration.

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/foodanddrink/where-to-store-ketchup-a4378426.html

Butter people have weirder opinions about. It can last without refrigeration, but it spoils faster. A lot of fridges also have a box to keep the butter so it'll stay a slightly less cold temperature. I don't know the chemical properties of margarine though.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know jelly probably needs to be refrigerated, but ketchup and pickles probably are fine if you eat them fairly often. The whole purpose of vinegar is to preserve foods without refrigeration.

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/foodanddrink/where-to-store-ketchup-a4378426.html

Butter people have weirder opinions about. It can last without refrigeration, but it spoils faster. A lot of fridges also have a box to keep the butter so it'll stay a slightly less cold temperature. I don't know the chemical properties of margarine though.

margarine is made out of vegetable oil and it'll turn back into oil if it gets warm. it can get rancid.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/tyJgMhV.gifv

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I bought this "Microwave Cooking For One" cookbook and I'm gonna get my goddamn money's worth

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/jakeadelstein/status/1324953230699188225

jesus christ, it's horrifying :stare:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Somewhat better than a more disgusting alternative, :discourse:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

jesus christ, it's horrifying :stare:

good god it looks wet

oh poo poo and the t rump burber with him doing the little nazi hand signal:

joker kard

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
700g burger cant be the trump burger, go for a kilogram. unless 700g refers to burger weight only

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

700g burger cant be the trump burger, go for a kilogram. unless 700g refers to burger weight only

tbh it's doesn't look nearly as wet as the biden burger and frankly i'm not into that at all.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

Somewhat better than a more disgusting alternative, :discourse:

I'm gonna be honest, as appropriately :discourse:-y as 'better than the alternative' is, I would totally go for the Trump Burg over the Biden Burg. Though that being said, I'd choose an over hard egg instead of the over easy, and would probably scrape the peanut butter down.

Nothing in that biden burg looks salvageable to me though, imagining those horrible wet onions together with the cream cheese and chips and augh.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

That Biden Burg would be a perfectly scrumptious salad.

I could not ever eat it with my hands, but perhaps out of a trough like a filthy animal.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

LifeSunDeath posted:

good god it looks wet

I’ll have mine without the brotherly love

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/87vUZuD.gifv

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I *need* to learn to do this

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/foosgonewild/status/1324431761082740736

Not unlike that lady that was just dumping a bunch of cans and some lil smokies in a crock pot.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Brawnfire posted:

I *need* to learn to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKjXLk8PJUI

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Fartington Butts posted:

Not unlike that lady that was just dumping a bunch of cans and some lil smokies in a crock pot.
Yeah, Rachael Ray's premise when she first got on TV was 30 minute meals. Shortcuts like using canned or frozen veggies and picking up a rotisserie chicken from the market was a big part of it. And honestly from my perspective canned beans and tomatoes and frozen veggies have their place and should not be constantly maligned. What turned me off about the cans of veggies and little smokies in a crock pot was that she didn't drain the cans. Without draining, that thing will just end up as a bad soup with a layer of fat on top from the smokies.

edit: oh and this is recent Rachael Ray so she's kinda phoning it in until the end where she just keeps throwing stuff on top. And throwing stuff on top is totally in line with bad food fads and AFP.

CannonFodder has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Nov 8, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Eh, I'd eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fartington Butts posted:

That all looks good. Nothing wrong with canned beans and hominy. I've done fritos in my chilis and pozoles for years.

Just lol if youre not piling on veggies and other stuff oon your pozole. Especially cilantro, the best out of everything.