Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The Diddler posted:

So this pointed me in the right direction, thanks. Apparently the Hollowjack pages aren't dropping from skulls, you need to buy the ticket box from the impresario and hope they drop from there. As a relatively new player that seems weird, but I'm not that into dressup yet so whatevs.

hahahaha holy poo poo this can't be true. Hollowjack stuff has been ungated since OT and they seriously decided "gently caress you new players, you gotta do our event and farm tickets to get it now" ????

Rich Lambert out here making the big brain decisions. If there wasn't a huge gently caress-off update coming tomorrow I would have re-installed and dumped whatever motifs I still have in the guild bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

So I've played and bounced off this game a few times, and for some stupid reason actually preordered Greymoor even though I've never finished any of the story content in the game and quit playing before it came out, and now I think I want to give this game another try. I know every zone is playable at every level, but would the Greymoor story more or less work if I just go straight into it without worrying about going through earlier story content? Feeling obligated to do years of content before I can jump into the new stuff just makes everything seem way less fun.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sinteres posted:

So I've played and bounced off this game a few times, and for some stupid reason actually preordered Greymoor even though I've never finished any of the story content in the game and quit playing before it came out, and now I think I want to give this game another try. I know every zone is playable at every level, but would the Greymoor story more or less work if I just go straight into it without worrying about going through earlier story content? Feeling obligated to do years of content before I can jump into the new stuff just makes everything seem way less fun.

You can absolutely just go do whatever looks fun.

The only real weirdness is occasionally you meet an NPC who's like "oh hey remember when we did (thing)?" And you've never seen them before.

If that kind of stuff doesn't bother you, then gently caress chronological order and just do whatever, man.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Sinteres posted:

I mean, I would recommend at least buzzing through the Rivenspire story line if nothing else, before doing Greymoor. You do not absolutely have to, but Verandis Ravenwatch is the one OG High Elf in the game.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Error 404 posted:

The only real weirdness is occasionally you meet an NPC who's like "oh hey remember when we did (thing)?" And you've never seen them before.

If that kind of stuff doesn't bother you, then gently caress chronological order and just do whatever, man.

ESO Characters are all Timelords. Roll with it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thanks for the advice. I'll just check out whatever sounds fun like Rivenspire and not feel obligated to slog through the Molag Bal stuff. Unfortunately I downloaded the whole thing on Steam before I remembered I had a standalone account, so now I get to redownload the whole thing.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Error 404 posted:

I’ve actually never encountered this happening. I started the Elsweyr stuff without having done the base game content and everyone introduced themselves because we were meeting for the first time. I had to be told Abnur Tharn was from the base game. He def didn’t act like we knew each other.

E: even john cleese zombie gave no indication that we met before (which we hadn’t) and i would have actually been okay with that one

Xinder fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 2, 2020

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Maybe they've started adding different dialogue options for new characters. I first started playing around Morrowind xpac, and that happened with Naryu, and a couple times doing base game quests out of order.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Error 404 posted:

Maybe they've started adding different dialogue options for new characters. I first started playing around Morrowind xpac, and that happened with Naryu, and a couple times doing base game quests out of order.

Oh! I did not know Naryu was from the base game and i started In morrowind a couple months ago. So i guess they’ve done a good job covering that stuff up nowadays.

E: looking up stuff on uesp and learned Razum-dar is also from the base game. Even more evidence that they’re doing a good job with that, because I’m like halfway through Summerset and assumed he was a new character for the expansion.

Xinder fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 2, 2020

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Xinder posted:

I’ve actually never encountered this happening. I started the Elsweyr stuff without having done the base game content and everyone introduced themselves because we were meeting for the first time. I had to be told Abnur Tharn was from the base game. He def didn’t act like we knew each other.

I remember NPC's not being on the same page as your character happening to me in a game breaking way. They hopefully fixed this but I remember talking to Abnur Tharn when Elsweyr came out and I couldn't continue my main questline because I was on the "wrong" Abnur Tharn quest. There was nothing to tell you how to fix it and I just stalled out for days until I figured it out.

Scyantific posted:

If there wasn't a huge gently caress-off update coming tomorrow I would have re-installed and dumped whatever motifs I still have in the guild bank.

The poor brand new players in this thread that think "oh hey cool a patch" and an hour later it's at like 7% downloaded with no signs of speeding up any time soon because it wants to redownload like half the game.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Twenty Four posted:

I remember NPC's not being on the same page as your character happening to me in a game breaking way. They hopefully fixed this but I remember talking to Abnur Tharn when Elsweyr came out and I couldn't continue my main questline because I was on the "wrong" Abnur Tharn quest. There was nothing to tell you how to fix it and I just stalled out for days until I figured it out.

The poor brand new players in this thread that think "oh hey cool a patch" and an hour later it's at like 7% downloaded with no signs of speeding up any time soon because it wants to redownload like half the game.

I'm definitely not playing through the base game and expansion content at the same time so I wouldn't know if that's fixed but I certainly hope so, because that sounds horrible.

This update was like almost 50gb for me despite the website saying 10gb. my wife had to repair/reinstall twice before it worked, which was a real pain in the rear end.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I wonder if there's any reason to come back as a vet because WoW's current direction is making me nauseous and FFXIV is fun, but after you blow through it's story the endgame just doesn't feel as gripping. (The mechanics are so similar to the DDR arcade poo poo that is WoW that one may as well put up with WoW)

Idk, I hosed around in Harrowstorm a little and so far my only impression was the writing took a huge nosedive. No more quests with heavy decisions in one direction or the other, no more climaxes that tug on your heartstrings.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone play a stamina warden and have a good one-bar skill setup for blowing through story content? All the builds out there are focused on mass aoe grinds and notable bosses, but I'm looking for something that can pop enemies as a run to a quest marker or quickly run past stuff to get to something like a delve boss. Mostly been just using the spammable bird as an attack skill, sub assault for the occasional need of aoe damage, and then netch, lotus for healing, and the wings for the movement bonus. I feel there has to be a better setup because of the delay on the bird animation and the 3 second timer on sub assault makes everything but the stuff in the 100-200k hp range take longer than it needs to die but also not invested enough to try a bunch of new things out to see what works.

I did recently pick up the full briarheart set and the pale order ring (god drat that scrying grind was so boring, at least stuff like the psijic order moves you around so you can pick up stuff on the side) so I probably don't need a healing skill anymore.

extra row of teeth posted:

I wonder if there's any reason to come back as a vet because WoW's current direction is making me nauseous and FFXIV is fun, but after you blow through it's story the endgame just doesn't feel as gripping. (The mechanics are so similar to the DDR arcade poo poo that is WoW that one may as well put up with WoW)

Idk, I hosed around in Harrowstorm a little and so far my only impression was the writing took a huge nosedive. No more quests with heavy decisions in one direction or the other, no more climaxes that tug on your heartstrings.

I don't remember a lot of heavy decisions or emotional moments in general, but then again I don't get that in almost any video game writing so maybe I'm just too cynical and jaded. I still like ESO as one of the best options for killing time but if you're looking for something more and weren't particularly invested in it previously I don't think enough has changed to make a difference.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

nessin posted:

Anyone play a stamina warden and have a good one-bar skill setup for blowing through story content? All the builds out there are focused on mass aoe grinds and notable bosses, but I'm looking for something that can pop enemies as a run to a quest marker or quickly run past stuff to get to something like a delve boss. Mostly been just using the spammable bird as an attack skill, sub assault for the occasional need of aoe damage, and then netch, lotus for healing, and the wings for the movement bonus. I feel there has to be a better setup because of the delay on the bird animation and the 3 second timer on sub assault makes everything but the stuff in the 100-200k hp range take longer than it needs to die but also not invested enough to try a bunch of new things out to see what works.

I did recently pick up the full briarheart set and the pale order ring (god drat that scrying grind was so boring, at least stuff like the psijic order moves you around so you can pick up stuff on the side) so I probably don't need a healing skill anymore.

I use this. You’ll spend 99% of the time on the first bar but it’s absolutely worth it to switch to the back bar and drop AOEs. Also I don’t use echoing vigor because it’s on the assault skill tree and I can’t be arsed to PVP. The damage shields from brawler and potions are enough to keep me alive.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-stamina-warden-build-pve/

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Doctor Zero posted:

Also I don’t use echoing vigor because it’s on the assault skill tree and I can’t be arsed to PVP.
You don't need to do any PVP to get it now. Just go to Cyrodill, do the intro quest which is just talking to some NPCs in the base and firing a couple of practice assault weapons and that should be enough AP to get Vigor.
Edit: Unless you mean the morph? I think you can still get enough for that too without any PVP.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
There are towns in Cyrodill that give you AP for PvE activities, granted it's a bit of a grind to get the AP you want, and Cyrodill being Cyrodill there's always the chance randoms come in to run you down.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
They recently made vigor the first unlocked skill in the skill line for this reason. You don't even need to do the quest.

You go into cyrodiil, talk to the guy, tell him you don't need training, walk 30 feet to the General/Commander/Warlord, confirm that "yep, I don't need training." And you get the skill lines, Assault and Support, along with 2 free skill points. Then walk over to the wayshrine in the base and GTFO.

Then you put a point into vigor and it levels up on your bar like any other skill, morph etc.

You never have to think about pvp again.

Only if you decide later that you want to unlock other skills in those lines, will you need to do pvp to level up the skill lines.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

COOL, THANKS MAH DUDES.

e: Whoa had caps lock on like an 80 year old grandma :corsair: - gently caress it, I'm leaving it.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Finally starting to get into the game a bit after I picked up most of the basic expansions, any recommendations for a first time player? I know I can go through any of the content without fear of level issues, but I figured I'd start with the morrowind content then shift over to skyrim.

Only other thing - if I want to do any dark brotherhood content is that a different set of dlc or did getting this version include what I need? I started as a nightblade and have heard that some of the dark brotherhood content helps me do my sneaky stabby stealy that I appreciate so much in normal elder scrolls games

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Alucard posted:

Finally starting to get into the game a bit after I picked up most of the basic expansions, any recommendations for a first time player? I know I can go through any of the content without fear of level issues, but I figured I'd start with the morrowind content then shift over to skyrim.

Only other thing - if I want to do any dark brotherhood content is that a different set of dlc or did getting this version include what I need? I started as a nightblade and have heard that some of the dark brotherhood content helps me do my sneaky stabby stealy that I appreciate so much in normal elder scrolls games

From Morrowind on, playing in order of release works pretty nicely and gets you a decent amount of NPC dialog where they callback earlier quests you've done.

For your DLC question, this page may help, but basically DLCs have to be bought a la carte or are provided while you have an ESO Plus Subscription, while the expansions, or "chapters," are sold separately, unless they get changed into DLC. Dark Brotherhood is one of those that is not included with most retail versions of the game, so expect to subscribe or buy it separately (and for a kind of crazy amount which makes it arguably better to just subscribe for the DLC plus extra perks that gets you).

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Alucard posted:

That version got you all the major expansions. It did not get you all the DLC. In particular it does not get you the Dark Brotherhood DLC. ESO+ does get you access to the rest of the content, or you can buy it piecemeal. An ESO+ free trial also lets you play that content and unlock skill lines, but you just missed one last month so that's a ways away.
The zone DLC you're missing is:
Dark Brotherhood
Thieves Guild
Orsinium
(Those three can be gotten in a bundle together)
Murkmire
Clockwork City (pairs with Summerset and Morrowind)
Dragonhold (pairs with Elsweyr)
Markarth (pairs with Skyrim)

There's also a bunch of dungeon DLC.

So your options are a) get ESO+ for temporary access to all the content b) Buy crowns with real money to buy them (ESO+ comes with crowns so this is probably not the best idea, at least wait for a sale if you do this). c) Get enough gold to trade the gold for crowns from other players (price is high at the moment) or d) wait for an ESO+ trial.

The Blade of Woe, which I assume is what you heard about, is cool but it's more useful for making your own fun as an assassin. It's not really helpful in actually doing content (outside of the DB quests) or making your character sneakier.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
One new thing that has to be called out is you need access to a transmutation station to use the set collection system (or at least to create gear that you've gotten collected). Which is only accessible via Clockwork City or buying an home furnishing from the store. At least I don't know of any other ways to get one, there may be an alternative out there.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

nessin posted:

One new thing that has to be called out is you need access to a transmutation station to use the set collection system (or at least to create gear that you've gotten collected). Which is only accessible via Clockwork City or buying an home furnishing from the store. At least I don't know of any other ways to get one, there may be an alternative out there.
You can buy it with 1250 writ vouchers or from a guild vendor for about a million gold as well. A lot of guild halls have it, though. The goon guild hall has it.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Cool, thanks! For now I'll probably stick to the stuff I just bought and see where it gets me. Totally new to the game and haven't played an MMO in years, and there seem to be more than enough things to keep me occupied for the time being.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'm going to turn my Warden and Necromancer into a tank and healer, just not sure which will be which. Are there any notable reasons to make a Warden over a healer or a tank, or likewise with a Necromancer, like being particularly effective or having an easier time doing the job? Or is it just down to personal preference?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

nessin posted:

I'm going to turn my Warden and Necromancer into a tank and healer, just not sure which will be which. Are there any notable reasons to make a Warden over a healer or a tank, or likewise with a Necromancer, like being particularly effective or having an easier time doing the job? Or is it just down to personal preference?

90% personal preference.

But I hear that wardens can be really good healers because of class skills/passives.

Necros can make good debuff healers and have the mass rez ult.

Alternately:

Wardens can make hella tough tanks and resource management is easy via netch.

Necro tanks get spoken of as being pretty on par with dragonknight tanks in terms of toughness/survivability.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I know it goes against the business model of obscenely priced talking mannequins, but they should really let you place your alts as NPCs around your house to make them less empty. Did any MMO ever do something like that?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SplitSoul posted:

I know it goes against the business model of obscenely priced talking mannequins, but they should really let you place your alts as NPCs around your house to make them less empty. Did any MMO ever do something like that?

This would be awseome, but would probably crash every house ever.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

SplitSoul posted:

hell, that sounds cool even if you couldn't talk to them and they were just silently standing around in an idle pose. It would at least give the impression that the homes are lived in, and I might put more effort into decorating rather than placing horses halfway through walls to gently caress with people when they travel to me during a run to my storage chests.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
As long as we're daydreaming about it.

Place your alt character npcs with a small script to make the npc version of the character you're currently on invisible or hidden or something.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

SplitSoul posted:

You can place your assistants, pets, and mounts in your house and even set up a patrol for them. I have the merchant wandering around looking at things, and the cat banker climbing on every table. My chicken runs around the yard at top speed and a couple horses meaner around. It's pretty sweet.

But it would be cool to have alts there too.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Doctor Zero posted:

You can place your assistants, pets, and mounts in your house and even set up a patrol for them. I have the merchant wandering around looking at things, and the cat banker climbing on every table. My chicken runs around the yard at top speed and a couple horses meaner around. It's pretty sweet.

But it would be cool to have alts there too.

I hadn't realised they added that option, I thought they were just stationary. Thanks.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I haven’t played since February, looks like I am having to download a huge update I assume for the performance fixes they planned? Any major balance changes that happened since then? I was playing a stamsorc which was pretty fun.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

SplitSoul posted:

In SWTOR you can place dozens of NPC "companions" in your house, and you can give them custom faces and equip them with whatever armor you want. It would be possible to at least make somebody who resembles your alt. The housing system there is a little limited in comparison to ESO, but it has some potential for doing fun stuff.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Just popping back in to tell y'all if you plan on buying a new Apple computer soon, no more ESO for you https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/59187

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Nearing the end of our ESO+ month. We have almost a week left and went through Summerset and all of Elsweyr. Today we realized that you get a free thing just for visiting the dlc dungeons so we tried 1 from each pack just to get all the hats and emotes and whatnot. Just as a duo we can consistently reach the first boss of these dungeons but we struggle to make any real damage against the boss.

Gonna set aside all these dungeons until we inevitably buy a second month sometime next year and actually get involved with a guild. Probably after the next zone dlc releases. But for now, we still have enough time to get through Murkmire.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I found you really have to be 50+ to have a better time in dungeons. Below that it's just a slog.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Why do the super-heavy attacks restore stamina? Seems counter-intuitive

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Heads up, they brought back the "brassy assassin" personality for a few days. They don't bring that one out too often, but it's a good one. I use it on a bunch of characters, and I've had a few people PM me in the game to just ask how my character is standing like that cause it looks so cool.

I know not everybody is into that kind of thing, but if you're into that kind of thing, I recommend it. 750 crowns isn't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Any chance Greymoor might go on sale during Black Friday events?