Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but what if coronavirus delays rezero season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
There are things Japan was doing right, they hit upon an interesting contact tracing strategy that relies on the observation that the coronavirus tends to overdisperse in clusters: most people rarely infect more than one other person, often don't spread; but on rare occasions a person will spread to dozens or even hundreds of others. So when an infection is identified, they prioritize going back through that person's contacts looking for an environment that is conducive to superspreading events. This misses alot of silent spread, but it is good at busting big clusters.

That innovation let them punch way above their weight for the volume of coronavirus circulating through the community, in spite of poor management in other fields. Once contact tracing is overwhelmed, that is bad. Expect delays, hope for the best, and hope they wind down risky activities safely.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I wanna make it clear that shutting poo poo down to keep COVID-19 cases from spiraling out of control and to keep people safe is MUCH more important to me than a silly anime I'm watching. Waiting a couple of months for new episodes is absolutely nothing.

I'm not trying to be like Grouchio and say something like Re:Zero is more important

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Who's the older VA that ended up testing positive 'round this weekend? I swear I saw it on the Discord, but then it got lost between me posting doggos and Smoking Crow talking about LA Park.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Wark Say posted:

Who's the older VA that ended up testing positive 'round this weekend? I swear I saw it on the Discord, but then it got lost between me posting doggos and Smoking Crow talking about LA Park.

Banjo Ginga. There have been a few other voice actors that have tested positive (Toshihiko Seki and Tomoyo Kurosawa), but they've recovered since then.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the delays were really not a big deal last time, bring them on if that's what it takes

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

Banjo Ginga. There have been a few other voice actors that have tested positive (Toshihiko Seki and Tomoyo Kurosawa), but they've recovered since then.
Thanks!

And same: delays are fine. Rather things be delayed than a 3rd wave happening.

(Down here in México things are basically "lol, we're basically USA-lite" COVID-wise and I loving hate that)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It will be interesting to see which studios have best equipped themselves for socially distanced production, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

It will be interesting to see which studios have best equipped themselves for socially distanced production, though.

The smart ones should've been ready for this once Japan had their first wave of outbreaks, so hopefully some of them saw the writing on the wall that it wasn't gonna be a one-and-done thing even after it was brought under control.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/GearoidReidy/status/1324956666266218501

Yeah, I think we're about to see anime production, at least voice acting wise be halted.

Side note, am I the only one who finds this "hrmmm" poo poo unfunny, especially in the middle of a loving pandemic

corona incubation time: up to 2 weeks

kimetsu no yaiba movie release date: 17 october

people seeing the movie during the span of 10 days: 8 million

think we found the culprit

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Davincie posted:

Some people think it's because of the colder and drier weather.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they are wrong and ignoring the clear evidence

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Davincie posted:

they are wrong and ignoring the clear evidence

Is Demon Slayer really THAT great enough to get COVID over for some people?

I don't know why some people are ignoring that when it comes to why cases are climbing in Japan

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not like that is unique to japan.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/crunchyroll/status/1325173762182897666?s=21

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Where's the maid?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Davincie posted:

Or it could be that Halloween was last week and nobody really gave a gently caress about social distancing and went to Shibuya anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz5ft7Kawy0

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

At least for now the number of cases isn't seriously as high as we're seeing in places like France, the U.K and especially the U.S.. I just wish that Japan was handling it more professionally like South Korea is

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Willo567 posted:

At least for now the number of cases isn't seriously as high as we're seeing in places like France, the U.K and especially the U.S.. I just wish that Japan was handling it more professionally like South Korea is

Immediate case numbers don't really mean a lot because of COVID's two-week lead time between infection and symptoms. 270-odd cases doesn't look too bad up from 219 with just those two dot points, but it can easily turn into 2000 in a week or two because just a few of the infected went out in busy places right before they actually started feeling a bit sick. It's a crapshoot as to whether this outbreak has been caught in time and we won't know for a month or so either way.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Willo567 posted:

From what I remember the Japanese government isn't really able or willing to legally enforce things like quarantining and social distancing due to some clause in their constitution. Asking people and business to please cooperate (and/or trying to shame them into cooperating when that doesn't work) does go a long way in Japan, but without the threat of fines it's hard to keep even a relatively obedient population in check after nine months.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

cave emperor posted:

From what I remember the Japanese government isn't really able or willing to legally enforce things like quarantining and social distancing due to some clause in their constitution. Asking people and business to please cooperate (and/or trying to shame them into cooperating when that doesn't work) does go a long way in Japan, but without the threat of fines it's hard to keep even a relatively obedient population in check after nine months.

That's a myth pushed by LDP politicians who want to undermine public faith in the constitution for... reasons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This week's simulcast episode of Fire Force (episode 12) sure took some turns. :stonk:

cave emperor posted:

Even with fines you can still see some real dumb poo poo (Not to say they don't work as a general deterrent of course). We've had a serious lockdown in Melbourne going for months to contain an outbreak from July that we're only now coming out of and, while the majority of people got on the same page pretty quickly on what was necessary, every so often there'd be one dumb fucker caught by the cops driving across half the state because they need their special coffee or groceries. Or you'd get a bunch of people hanging out having a party in a house somewhere.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finally got around to watching the latest Adachi to Shimamura. Adachi being elated after asking Shimamura on a date on Christmas is very cute.

I think it's pretty clear that Shimamura has some hang ups about people relying on her, given the flashback to her preschool days and her unwillingness to recognize that Adachi is asking her out. It's not that she doesn't consider the thought, it's that she doesn't think she's valuable enough for someone to want to spend Christmas with HER specifically.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I see why people like talentless nana now.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Talentless Nana is my poo poo.

Like I grew up with Death Note as my foundational anime so an anime that basically doubles down on Death Note mind games is really up my alley.

I have a few quibbles, like it's a good anime, I feel like it could've been great with a few structural changes to how it tells the story.

Is there a thread for it?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
There is not currently a thread for it, feel free to make one.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Talentless Nana is my poo poo.

Like I grew up with Death Note as my foundational anime so an anime that basically doubles down on Death Note mind games is really up my alley.

I have a few quibbles, like it's a good anime, I feel like it could've been great with a few structural changes to how it tells the story.

Is there a thread for it?

After catching up to last week's episode of Talentless Nana, I went and binged the manga. It just gets better, and I found it very compelling. In part, because it's a battle of information asymmetry, and Nana has only her wits against far more powerful opponents. In part, because of Nana's character arc... and I really hope for another season to get into that.

Anyway, it's worth your time.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

After catching up to last week's episode of Talentless Nana, I went and binged the manga. It just gets better, and I found it very compelling. In part, because it's a battle of information asymmetry, and Nana has only her wits against far more powerful opponents. In part, because of Nana's character arc... and I really hope for another season to get into that.

Anyway, it's worth your time.

That's good to hear! I am of course thoroughly enjoying it (Especially this last episode which was quite an a 'oh drat' episode). It just that a few critiques occurred to me and as a result some ideas I thought could be interesting to discuss as a creative exersize ways of improving on a very strong premise.

I'm considering making a thread since there's a lot I'd like to muse over and discuss about it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sounds like I should try and make some time for Talentless Nana.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ibblebibble posted:

Sounds like I should try and make some time for Talentless Nana.
One of the things said about the old detective procedural Columbo is that it wasn't a WhoDunnit as much as a HowCatchem... because the real fun in the story was watching Columbo puzzle out how to prove his hunches and inferences. And ultimately it ends up being hubris that does most crooks in.

Nana kind of captures that feeling. Because she's tasked with not only figuring out the mechanics and limitations of everyone's powers, but also how to navigate the school and how to come out ahead.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

its the most danganronpa show this season despite there also being one by the actual danganronpa people

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Really captures that Death Note feeling of it being about the mind games despite there being powers.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Talentless Nana is easily the show of the season of me, and depending on how it goes, could be of the year as well. I've read the manga though and it needs a second season, and maybe even third in the future.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FilthyImp posted:

One of the things said about the old detective procedural Columbo is that it wasn't a WhoDunnit as much as a HowCatchem... because the real fun in the story was watching Columbo puzzle out how to prove his hunches and inferences. And ultimately it ends up being hubris that does most crooks in.

Nana kind of captures that feeling. Because she's tasked with not only figuring out the mechanics and limitations of everyone's powers, but also how to navigate the school and how to come out ahead.

Ok. If you're really comparing this to Columbo, I have to give it a chance. That's my favorite show from the '70s, and the only police procedural/mystery show I've ever enjoyed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also read a bit of Talentless Nana, and I also like how Hunter x Hunter Nen like many of the powers are.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also read a bit of Talentless Nana, and I also like how Hunter x Hunter Nen like many of the powers are.
honestly the general setup could also be a hxh arc. its not entirely dissimilar to how parts of yorknew play.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
anyone ever play any of the VNs looseboy has worked on?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man, Adachi To Shimamura really is Disaster Gay: The Anime.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm loving it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AlternateNu posted:

Ok. If you're really comparing this to Columbo, I have to give it a chance. That's my favorite show from the '70s, and the only police procedural/mystery show I've ever enjoyed.
Columbo really needs a 4k remaster.
Or an anime adaptation.

Really, though, it hews pretty close to DeathNote with a lot of the mind games and careful steps around people. But Nana and her Antagonist absolutely comb over details like Columbo. Just in an anime way.

Ibblebibble posted:

Oh god I just watched the one where Adachi stays home from school and it's just the most awkward, sweet thing ever. :swoon:

Hey, this is really dumb and ignorant but can someone educate me on what same-sex relationships are like in Japan? I've never looked into any stigma at the high school level with that, and I realized I'm woefully uneducated about it in the nation in general.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 9, 2020