Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

bus hustler posted:

Yeah as long as the person has an eligible card they can redeem. Not sure if a 3070 can redeem, I assume not. I've seen a few people swapping CoD for Watch Dogs.

Cool, will shout somewhere about that once I find my code then--if any goons see this and are interested in swapping out their Watch Dogs code for CoD, give me a shout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My 3080FE finally shipped from BB after being marked as delayed, it’s also next day air now even though I used the free shipping.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
People with an FE:

What's the warranty sign up process for them?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
what are the coolest things I should be doing with a 3070

Already have Amid Evil, Control, Exodus, Quake II

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Death Stranding is some seriously pretty poo poo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn on PC actually looks loving great IMO.

The launch was a mess but it's been patched up pretty good.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Just to make sure, which power plan are you running in windows? Someone was getting low scores because of that

I'll check this and the rest of the advice today.

What's the best way to adjust fan curves? Afterburner? I don't want this thing getting too loud if I can avoid it. It's sitting right next to me after all.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I remember reading here that I should buy an evga from Amazon or evga for some reason. I can't remember what the reason was. I am getting mine from Newegg. I don't want to step up but I want to have a warranty. What was the deal with that?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

As long as it's an authorized reseller it should be fine. Neweggs just a lovely retailer anymore. Unless there's something I'm unaware of.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

KingKapalone posted:

I turned off Gsync and closed a few more programs and improved the graphics score by 350 up to 16735. Here's that http://www.3dmark.com/spy/15081546

My friend has a +80 core, +450 mem OC and got 18150 https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/51081619 He noticed my temps are 7C warmer.

- Yes I'm using two cables
- I installed the card, went into Windows, installed DDU, booted to Safe mode to run DDU, went back in Windows, it found some drivers, then I installed newest drivers through Geforce Experience
- I turned off GSync, VSync, don't think I have any FPS limiters
- Haven't done this but TimeSpy showed 70C. I saw it get up to 74C and fans went as high as 66%. Highest Power Consumption I saw was 90% TDP doing 310W.

System is:
Ryzen 3600
XC3 Ultra 3080
MSI B450-A Pro
2x8GB Ballistix Sport DDR4-3200 CL16
Seasonic Focus GX-750

Another person was reporting similar issues that went away when they set their windows 10 power plan to maximum performance. Try doing that and see if your score improves. If it works, then you can manually adjust the power plan settings to idle properly and try it again.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/solved-msi-rtx-3080-low-ish-time-spy-score-in-comparison-to-others.18901281/

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
the 3090 is so drat big

i lucked out and had exactly enough room

(please ignore the hr giger cables)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Jesus is that a 4-slot

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

redreader posted:

I remember reading here that I should buy an evga from Amazon or evga for some reason. I can't remember what the reason was. I am getting mine from Newegg. I don't want to step up but I want to have a warranty. What was the deal with that?

It HAS to be sold and fulfilled by Newegg. If it's a third party, it will not qualify for Step Up.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Rhaka posted:

Ah, balls. Don't give a crap about CoD. Are these codes tradeable?

I'll give you 20 bucks for it

edit: I've already burned my Watch Dogs code unfortunately before I knew of the CoD promo. I actually don't like Watch Dogs and do play CoD.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xaris posted:

What are your Port Royale / TimeSpy results?

Sorry it took a bit but this is mine.

Its about 1k lower vs other people.

Pivo posted:

edit: I've already burned my Watch Dogs code unfortunately before I knew of the CoD promo. I actually don't like Watch Dogs and do play CoD.

Yeah I'd totally buy someone's COD code if they don't want it. I wanted COD.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Floor is lava posted:

the 3090 is so drat big

i lucked out and had exactly enough room

(please ignore the hr giger cables)

i'm the optical drive

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blorange posted:

Another person was reporting similar issues that went away when they set their windows 10 power plan to maximum performance. Try doing that and see if your score improves. If it works, then you can manually adjust the power plan settings to idle properly and try it again.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/solved-msi-rtx-3080-low-ish-time-spy-score-in-comparison-to-others.18901281/

So just an FYI this actually seems to have worked? Its either that or the 10/29/20 drivers I installed but this is the score I just got.

Its a 1k improvement and puts me about in the right range as everyone else.

Edit ok or not? lol I'm still in the bottom 22% haha. :shrug:

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 7, 2020

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Rolo posted:

Death Stranding is some seriously pretty poo poo.

I picked this up and while my main gripe with it is having some horrible microstuttering (people with freesync/gsync displays probably don't notice) and GPU utilization issues, but one aspect I was really stuck with was the absolutely horrible colour banding in this game, it's something I haven't seen in years.

I mean it's a very good looking game overall, but I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more critique on this - it's so obvious and really detracts from some scenes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I picked this up and while my main gripe with it is having some horrible microstuttering (people with freesync/gsync displays probably don't notice) and GPU utilization issues, but one aspect I was really stuck with was the absolutely horrible colour banding in this game, it's something I haven't seen in years.

I mean it's a very good looking game overall, but I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more critique on this - it's so obvious and really detracts from some scenes.

I don't think I've noticed it. Could you capture an example?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Edit ok or not? lol I'm still in the bottom 22% haha. :shrug:

Yeah because your CPU score. I don't know your clocks but people with CPU clocks of 4.3-4.4GHz on the 8700K are getting better CPU scores than you. I believe it should turbo higher than that all-core while stock, shouldn't it? The entirety of the CPU test should be at max clocks because it's short, like 30 seconds, PL1 Tau is default what, 100 seconds? So even as stock as stock can be you should be getting higher CPU scores than that. Is turbo disabled on your 8700K or something?

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Pivo posted:

Ah sorry, I'd specifically like to fart around in Watch Dogs for sightseeing. But I don't want to poo poo up the GPU thread with this, I'll post something on SA-Mart once my CoD code comes in (after the weekend I'm guessing, ffs)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

Yeah because your CPU score. I don't know your clocks but people with CPU clocks of 4.3-4.4GHz on the 8700K are getting better CPU scores than you. I believe it should turbo higher than that all-core while stock, shouldn't it? The entirety of the CPU test should be at max clocks because it's short, like 30 seconds, PL1 Tau is default what, 100 seconds? So even as stock as stock can be you should be getting higher CPU scores than that. Is turbo disabled on your 8700K?

Honestly I don’t know if turbo is disabled. I’m gonna check the BIOS now.

I should have clarified though it looks like I’m in the bottom 22% of GPU only scores when I did the compare thing on their website.

Although that could be because a lot of them are OCing their cards and I’m not sure if you can filter that?

I feel like the GPU score should be in the 16k range though?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

ijyt posted:

Only took 7 weeks. :unsmith:

In 3 weeks I've moved 11 places and they didn't even get cards this week :smith:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I feel like the GPU score should be in the 16k range though?

Yours is 17.4k, what's wrong with that? My first stock run with auto fans on an FE was 17.1k.

I think you're looking at things wrong? How are you seeing that you're bottom 22% for graphics only? I can only see my percentile when I go to Score Explorer for a CPU & GPU combo I've run a benchmark with, at the bottom of the leaderboard: https://www.3dmark.com/search#advan...k=&maxCpuClock=

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

Yours is 17.4k, what's wrong with that? My first stock run with auto fans on an FE was 17.1k.

I think you're looking at things wrong? How are you seeing that you're bottom 22% for graphics only? I can only see my percentile when I go to Score Explorer for a CPU & GPU combo I've run a benchmark with, at the bottom of the leaderboard: https://www.3dmark.com/search#advan...k=&maxCpuClock=

You are completely right. I was looking at it wrong.

Disregard me!

The power profile definitely changed things though!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think I've noticed it. Could you capture an example?

Stuff like this, but I remembered it being worse so I checked just now, and a factor was def because I was using AMD's Fidelity FX originally, which made the posterization worse (screenshot below is with it disabled).

It's relatively minor though, I'm far more salty about the microstuttering and vsync GPU utilization issue that I can't resolve as DX12 doesn't expose the frame buffer end-user control which I could use to overcome this.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Rhaka posted:

Ah, balls. Don't give a crap about CoD. Are these codes tradeable?

Theres a person right now in sa-mart trying to trade their copy of legion for cod

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 7, 2020

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Theres a person right now in sa-mart trying to trade their copy of legion for cod

Thanks for the heads-up, didn't see them!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is TSMC the foundry for both new NVidia and new AMD GPUs, and also the new AMD CPUs right now? Who else is making their chips?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

pmchem posted:

Is TSMC the foundry for both new NVidia and new AMD GPUs, and also the new AMD CPUs right now? Who else is making their chips?

Nvidia went with Samsung.

They have announced they will use TSMC fab next year but idk what for or if it matters.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
TSMC makes AMD CPUs and GPUs on their 7nm process. Samsung is making the Nvidia 3000 series GPUs on their 8nm process, although Nvidia also has Ampere compute products that are made on TSMC 7nm.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stuff like this, but I remembered it being worse so I checked just now, and a factor was def because I was using AMD's Fidelity FX originally, which made the posterization worse (screenshot below is with it disabled).

It's relatively minor though, I'm far more salty about the microstuttering and vsync GPU utilization issue that I can't resolve as DX12 doesn't expose the frame buffer end-user control which I could use to overcome this.

literally unplayable

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

literally unplayable

quote:

I mean it's a very good looking game overall,

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Haven't had a chance to play any games to really test stability but I undervolted my 3070FE a bit to 875 mV @ 1800mhz, to see if it would help temps in my ITX build.

Numbers are from running Superposition.

Benchmark score went down 0.2%
FPS basically stayed the same (minimum +1, avg same, maximum -1.5)
GPU max temp dropped 4 degrees C
Power draw went from 219W to 190W

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I had to squint to see it, maybe its more visible in motion but have you tried playing around with your monitors calibration too? I'm on a pretty low brightness atm and it's barely noticeable.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Just to make sure, which power plan are you running in windows? Someone was getting low scores because of that

I'm using the Ryzen Balanced plan.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Your memory showing up as 1600mhz seems weird. What does CPU-Z show on the SPD tab? I have a similar system to yours, Ryzen 3600X and DDR4 3200, and my SPD tab shows I'm running XMP 2.0, and Windows Task Manager shows my memory speed as 3200mhz.

It also looks like you're running an old version of CPU-Z, by the way - current is 1.94.0. What does your bench run at in CPU-Z? This was what I got running it a few minutes ago:

Here's the SPD tab and my benchmark (Ryzen 3600 and DDR4-3200).

Blorange posted:

I'm about to switch to the Ryzen High Performance. Doesn't look like I have the 'Ultimate Performance' mentioned in the thread.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Looks like you have some mismatched RAM, you're not just supposed to throw more memory in willy-nilly.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is there a discord for canucks? Gonna start my F5ing in earnest.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

KingKapalone posted:

I'm using the Ryzen Balanced plan.

You do have XMP actually enabled in the BIOS, correct? Otherwise it'll be running at something like 2400Mhz, which would be...bad.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Looks like you have some mismatched RAM, you're not just supposed to throw more memory in willy-nilly.

There's only info from one stick there, though? The JEDEC timings along the bottom are just what the individual stick happens to support, not info from multiple sticks.

Unless he's running both DDR4-2400 RAM and DDR4-3200 RAM at the same time and the system is defaulting down to 2400 for both sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

DrDork posted:

There's only info from one stick there, though? The JEDEC timings along the bottom are just what the individual stick happens to support, not info from multiple sticks.

Unless he's running both DDR4-2400 RAM and DDR4-3200 RAM at the same time and the system is defaulting down to 2400 for both sets.

I might have misread, my bad.