Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer pal

im reading mrs dalloway & loving it. she & tolstoy both do the thing very well of describing character's interiority, how they notice the tiny mannerisms of the people they're talking to and how they respond, how they perceive eachother & themselves, etc. and ofc the writing is gorgoeus

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon

by sebmojo
mrs dalloway is dank but it makes the reader furiously question themselves if theyre a peter lol

e: highly rec the waves also

was lit. talking to someone today about how good woolf was :psyduck:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Diorama

i remember when all this was fields
has anyone read Peter F Hamilton's "Night's Dawn" trilogy?

Ass-penny

I finished Tomorrow's Bones. Shanna Germain is the author, and it is set in the world of Numenera, though you don't have to be familiar with the setting to enjoy the novel. I don't know if I have ever finished a book so fast in my life. I read it in 3-4 sittings. Just blocks of time that passed quickly as the pages turned.

It is a seafaring adventure story, with a lot of fantastic creatures and vibrant characters. I thought the story was good and I found the ending satisfying. Great book, would recommend.

Fuligin

wait what the fuck??

take the moon posted:

mrs dalloway is dank but it makes the reader furiously question themselves if theyre a peter lol

e: highly rec the waves also

was lit. talking to someone today about how good woolf was :psyduck:

mrs dalloway owns. the waves owns. to the lighthouse owns. woolf p much owns i think as a general rule

e; 2 add to thread, i just finished The Memory Palace of Matteo Ricci by jonathan spence. it compares and contrasts renaissance europe and ming-dynasty china by examining the life of Ricci, a jesuit missionary who travelled to china and ended up chilling with ming literati. i highly recommend it if you are interested in either of these two periods!

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 13, 2020

The DPRK

more falafel please posted:

yeah, and there's a lot of kind of worldbuilding that gets hinted at in the beginning of the book that you don't really get the context for until later. after you finish the book, reread the endnote about J.O.I's filmography. it's great

ah yeah, i'm gonna do this :D i'm immediately going to re-read the first couple of chapters when i finish cos i feel like there's a bunch of stuff that went over my head first time aswell

more falafel please

forums poster

The DPRK posted:

ah yeah, i'm gonna do this :D i'm immediately going to re-read the first couple of chapters when i finish cos i feel like there's a bunch of stuff that went over my head first time aswell

without spoilering really (and you've probably figured this out already) there are parallels between The Entertainment and the book itself

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Diorama posted:

has anyone read Peter F Hamilton's "Night's Dawn" trilogy?

I remember really liking it when I read it in highschool and I generally don't like grand, sweeping space opera. I wish I could give more of an endorsement, but it's been over a decade since I read it. :shrug:

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

The DPRK

more falafel please posted:

without spoilering really (and you've probably figured this out already) there are parallels between The Entertainment and the book itself

there are? :O :O

more falafel please

forums poster

The DPRK posted:

also. gotta spoiler this [spioler]the endnotes are actually a literary device[/splojer]

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Diorama

i remember when all this was fields

magic cactus posted:

I remember really liking it when I read it in highschool and I generally don't like grand, sweeping space opera. I wish I could give more of an endorsement, but it's been over a decade since I read it. :shrug:

my friend made me read it this summer (i kind of promised him about 10 years ago), and it was definitely a ride. I mean there was a worrying amount of implied/explicit brutal rape, especially early on when the devil-worshipping resurrected souls first start posessing people, and Al Capone came out of left field, but i really liked the different species and cultures, the tech they had and the Adamist/Edenist split the human race has undergone

in parts it was pretty "Dash Riprock grinned as he twisted the accelo-throttle of the speeder, urging it up the hull of the USS Spaceship. A captain at 22, Dash was the very image of his father," etc etc, but some parts were reall quality SF

The DPRK

The DPRK posted:

i was being serious btw

ulvir

beer pal posted:

im reading mrs dalloway & loving it. she & tolstoy both do the thing very well of describing character's interiority, how they notice the tiny mannerisms of the people they're talking to and how they respond, how they perceive eachother & themselves, etc. and ofc the writing is gorgoeus

if you love these sort of things you should absolutely read proust

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

i've been trying to finish "dragons of eden" by carl sagan which is wonderfully written but severely outdated

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Mekchu

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xcheopis posted:

It leans heavy on the politics of the time (of course) and the damage neo-Confucianism can cause, so if that isn't interesting to you, then give it a pass.
I did have some sympathy for his father after reading it, though. poo poo was hosed up all around.

I live in korea now so reading about how confucianism is loving things up would be pretty gratifying

beer pal

bump i just finished death in her hands by ottessa moshfegh and really liked it. i picked it up cus the summaries sounded like it was similar to drive your plow over the bones of the dead (old eccentric isolated woman prone to fantastical thinking)

before that i read the memory police by yoko ogawa. for a while i thought it was an enjoyable if a bit by the numbers orwellian dystopia, despite the novel premise but it the turn it takes in the last few chapters won me over

now im reading ways of seeing by john berger. just started but im finding it gratifying

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I finished the Tove Jansson novel Fair Play which is about two Finnish lesbians in their 70s who hang out on an island and in their apartments. They're very chill and unsentimental about everything and is basically just a series of disconnected vignettes. Just a really nice, languid study of queer companionship. I liked it a lot.

I'm also reading We Want It All: An Anthology of Radical Trans Poets which just came out from Nightboat. Tons of good people in it and it's so chunky, over 400 pages, so far as I've just been dipping in here and there. I'm also rereading the Helen Adam Reader because she was such a weird and mesmerizing figure. I dug it out to check something but now I'm just reading it cover to cover again.

I guess I'm also very slowly picking my way through a bunch of more depressing and dense non-fiction. I have the new Gerald Horne book which is about the roots of white supremacy in the "long 16th century," and Jen Manion's Female Husbands which I've only skimmed so far but looks like a pretty interesting look at an area of queer history I'd barely ever heard of. I'm doing this all while eating some Twizzlers I found outside.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

take the moon

by sebmojo
mostly been reading theory-essays but im reading a book by byobs own nut and also the book that came with my deck of steampunk tarot cards so i can divine for u all

will also prolly read blood electric again

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

Finished the first part of Cancer Ward and once again I've been bamboozled by a Russian book with an extremely depressing-sounding title not being at all depressing (the last one was Dead Souls). Those drat Russian book-titlers :arghfist::butt:

Prof. Crocodile

I am spending some of my quarantine time reading books that I should have read long ago, but never did. I just finished The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay, which was objectively good but didn't really engage me. I'm not very good at reading fiction though.

Now i am blowing through How to Change Your Mind. It's a record of how psychedelics are coming back into favor among cancer researchers and psychologists. It's interesting enough, but it has that shallow overwritten tone of a Malcolm Gladwell book, which I assume is an artifact of how people learn to write as print journalists.

pecan

I try to dip in and out of fiction to little success. Instead, right now I'm working though the Monstrous-Feminine by Barbara Creed by recommendation from Android Blues, which looks at the representation of the feminine as monstrous (shocking) in horror movies. As someone with no background in lit crit, it's super accessible but very incisive and will probably change how I watch every horror movie from now on, forever looking for the toothed vagina and monstrous womb of the archaic mother.

I'm taking a break right in the middle of Legacy of Ashes by Tim Weiner, which is a huge history of the CIA through time. Weiner's thesis is that the CIA has always failed to live up to its own mission statement. It's funny if not depressing but Tim Weiner also has that insane boomer energy where he is convinced the CIA is good, if only it worked better at overthrowing foreign govts. It also overwhelmingly focuses on the CIA's role in war/politics, so it gets pretty stale with time.

Last, I've been doing a chapter a day of Linda McQuaig's The Sport and Prey of Capitalists. Each chapter is a story about public assets in Canada being privatized and the ongoing failures that have resulted. In my experience, meaningful critical Canadian history is hard to come by outside of a couple subjects, but this book is incredibly well written and clear.

Prof. Crocodile

pecan posted:

I try to dip in and out of fiction to little success. Instead, right now I'm working though the Monstrous-Feminine by Barbara Creed by recommendation from Android Blues, which looks at the representation of the feminine as monstrous (shocking) in horror movies. As someone with no background in lit crit, it's super accessible but very incisive and will probably change how I watch every horror movie from now on, forever looking for the toothed vagina and monstrous womb of the archaic mother.

I'm taking a break right in the middle of Legacy of Ashes by Tim Weiner, which is a huge history of the CIA through time. Weiner's thesis is that the CIA has always failed to live up to its own mission statement. It's funny if not depressing but Tim Weiner also has that insane boomer energy where he is convinced the CIA is good, if only it worked better at overthrowing foreign govts. It also overwhelmingly focuses on the CIA's role in war/politics, so it gets pretty stale with time.

Last, I've been doing a chapter a day of Linda McQuaig's The Sport and Prey of Capitalists. Each chapter is a story about public assets in Canada being privatized and the ongoing failures that have resulted. In my experience, meaningful critical Canadian history is hard to come by outside of a couple subjects, but this book is incredibly well written and clear.

I have the Monstrous-Feminine gathering dust around here somewhere. IIRC it's a pretty old book, so she didn't have access to all the fine vagina monsters from the late 90's and early 2000's. That book could probably be 2,000 pages long by now.

pecan

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I have the Monstrous-Feminine gathering dust around here somewhere. IIRC it's a pretty old book, so she didn't have access to all the fine vagina monsters from the late 90's and early 2000's. That book could probably be 2,000 pages long by now.

vagina dentata, what a wonderful phrase

snergle

A kind little mouse!
im into fantasy and scifi when i read. does anyone have any recommendations similar to defending elysium by sanderson? things i like about it. the space mind magic, the alien culture vs the earth culture, and the general story especially the ending. things i didnt like phone company and spying.

How Wonderful!

I'm rereading a lot of Ann Taves for my dissertation right now and also rereading a book called Teaching Queer that helped me figure out a lot about teaching a few years ago and I think could have some useful tips for me about teaching highly stressed out students in the spring if next semester is anything at all like this one. I'm also a bunch of H.D. poems again. I'm also reading some crummy ol Carl Schmitt for next week when I'm teaching Hamlet. Nobody likes Schmitt but you just gotta.

take the moon

by sebmojo

snergle posted:

im into fantasy and scifi when i read. does anyone have any recommendations similar to defending elysium by sanderson? things i like about it. the space mind magic, the alien culture vs the earth culture, and the general story especially the ending. things i didnt like phone company and spying.

ive never been into sanderson but the first culture book is pretty good. it has spies tho. no phones iirc

----------------

snergle

A kind little mouse!

take the moon posted:

ive never been into sanderson but the first culture book is pretty good. it has spies tho. no phones iirc

ill check it out. defending elysium is a short story. probably a 30min read thats free on his website if you wanna read it for some reason.

Vei
anyone have recommendations for someone who loved Lies of Locke Lamora?

ulvir

just skimmed the summary a bit, but maybe you'll enjoy the name of the rose by umberto eco? it's like a crime mystery (and much more) but set in the mediveal times and the protagonist is a franciscan munk

3D Megadoodoo

I started reading Vonnegut (Bluebeard) and noticed the spine says Vonnequt and it's making me irrationally annoyed.

Then again I paid 50 cents for the book at the flea market. Gotta love flea markets.

take the moon

by sebmojo
lol

----------------

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

picked up This Is How You Lose The Time War and Zoey Punches The Future in The Dick, both very good so far.

beer pal

wide sargasso sea - really good! having a good time reading books lately

TedHornsby

Refined Taste

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

picked up This Is How You Lose The Time War and Zoey Punches The Future in The Dick, both very good so far.

These sound like books I must read.

I wanted to read Gibson's Sprawl trilogy again, but someone snaked me at Half Price. Instead I picked up The Difference Engine. It's a Gibson/Sterling collab, so I am prob gonna dig it.

How Wonderful!

beer pal posted:

wide sargasso sea - really good! having a good time reading books lately

Great book, I hope you check out Voyage in the Dark too, it's my favorite Jean Rhys novel.

beer pal

yeah the intro to the book talked a bit about her history & how she was received, im interested to read some more from her. ill add that one to my list !

How Wonderful!

I haven't read it since probably 2007 but it's stuck with me so strongly. One of the greatest of all modernist novels' endings imo.

beer pal

the master and margarita is a lot of fun. whatever satire is in there goes over my head but thats fine. also started listening to auidio book version of the jakarta method

pecan

beer pal posted:

also started listening to auidio book version of the jakarta method

welcome 2 the dark path to nonfiction eclipsing all the fiction u had planned for the rest of the year, friend :evilbuddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer pal

not gonna happen but i think i could settle into a paper fic / audio nonfic dual stream system