Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ol0Nmlc43I

So this is some heavy nostalgia.

But goddamn, I am a big proponent for diverse representation and the view that there is nothing inherently problematic about depicting a girl as boy-crazy or airheaded. You just need to show that not all girls are like that. But Sakura sets the standard for pretty much all subsequent girls in Naruto, even Mei, the second female Kage we see. (in fact, I think she's the only female Kage we see besides Tsunade?)

I've head Boruto is significantly better about its female representation.

Boruto is good (or better than Shippuden at least), watch Boruto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Larryb posted:

Boruto is good (or better than Shippuden at least), watch Boruto.

I know it will never happen because they're series from direct competitors, but I kinda want to see a Boruto x Yashahime crossover

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yup, hence no human sacrifices required, just thousands of Zetsu clones.

That's what Orochimaru used to bring back the Hokage and get a new body. Kabuto actually used people he kidnapped.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Technically all the Zetsu were once people too. I get the sense though they all got overridden with Otsutsuki OS after they got Infinite Tsukuyomi'd though.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
All the female characters in Naruto deserved a better writer

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's what Orochimaru used to bring back the Hokage and get a new body. Kabuto actually used people he kidnapped.

Huh, so it is. Never mind then Kabuto is Ninja World’s greatest living monster.

Violet_Sky posted:

All the female characters in Naruto deserved a better writer

I’m pretty sure Kishimoto would actually agree. He’s mentioned not really being good at writing female characters and struggling to write Sakura at all until Shippuden. But he clearly wants female characters in his story and I think he wants them to be well liked, see him putting Tsunade as Hokage and how often he does introduce cool interesting female characters like Anko even with his self-proclaimed weakness at writing them.

Now in all fairness the weakness is likely perceptive, because he could have just written them the way he wrote his male characters.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT5ccCjKrB0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oy9o-qxbvM

Sadly, he doesn't appear to be that popular in Japan. According to comments, the dub actually tried to make his rapping legit while it was just cringe in a bad way in Japanese.

Bee is definitely one of the best Part 2 characters, I'd say.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Killer B carried particularly dire stretches of Shippuden on his back.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
No the rapping is pretty cringe in the dub too

That's, like, part of the point. He's trying but he's not very good at it. When he switches to enka, he's even worse.

perc2
May 16, 2020

I decided to start watching this and it's hilarious because the tone is so vastly different from the original series; in 10 years the village has somehow entered into information age modernity, most painfully evident that the insane paperwork in Naruto's office hasn't been digitized in time and he himself is burdened with bureaucratic nonsense like cutting ribbons despite being a living weapon, much at the expense of his home life. Love it lol

perc2 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 8, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The delightfully vague nature of the Naruto World's technological development is an underrated part of the series I feel.

Especially in the epilogue and Bort parts, where a whole loving modern city popped up behind Mount Hokage and Naruto has a Ninja Macbook.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Nothing better crystalizes Naruto's theme of "the next generation will always outdo the last" like world peace and widespread technological advancement kicking in the second Naruto's generation gets into power.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Even in the original they at least had TVs and cameras (Anko watched some security footage during the Chunin Exams).

Though that does bring up a good question, with all the modern conveniences they have now why doesn’t the Hokage’s office have a computer rather than having them still have to fill out a mountain of paperwork by hand?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Larryb posted:

Though that does bring up a good question, with all the modern conveniences they have now why doesn’t the Hokage’s office have a computer rather than having them still have to fill out a mountain of paperwork by hand?
Naruto's Ninja Macbook is not properly secured against Ninja Hackers looking for Ninja National Security Secrets so for the time being he has to file all his Ninja Paperwork by hand and have his Shizune equivalent (another Shadow Clone probs) Ninja Fax it to the necessary Ninja Departments.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Naruto's Ninja Macbook is not properly secured against Ninja Hackers looking for Ninja National Security Secrets so for the time being he has to file all his Ninja Paperwork by hand and have his Shizune equivalent (another Shadow Clone probs) Ninja Fax it to the necessary Ninja Departments.

I thought Shikamaru was his Shizune?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Larryb posted:

I thought Shikamaru was his Shizune?

I'm surprised the entire administration isn't just run by Shadow Clones as a literal autocracy.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Naruto has a mountain of paperwork because early Boruto has a theme of absentee fathers.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

rndmnmbr posted:

Naruto has a mountain of paperwork because early Boruto has a theme of absentee fathers.

Also because the Paperwork thing has been a joke in Naruto fanfiction since before the time skip, specifically because it’s a funny mental image of Naruto becoming Hokage to discover all the paperwork. I think it also was mentioned at least once canonically before in relation to Tsunade not doing it properly because she’s drunk all the time.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The paperwork makes sense in light of the Hokage basically being both a head of state and the manager of what is essentially a massive mercenary company at the same time.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Someone once said to me "Mitsuki is awfully weird to be the child of one of the Sannin," and my only response was "You mean the Legendary Sucker (also a legendary alcoholic), Pervy Sage, and an immortal snake demon? Nah, Mitsuki is perfectly normal."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also it amuses me that despite everything Naruto is technically STILL a Genin (he basically admits as much in one of the episodes leading up to the Boruto movie adaption/remake).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 8, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

Someone once said to me "Mitsuki is awfully weird to be the child of one of the Sannin," and my only response was "You mean the Legendary Sucker (also a legendary alcoholic), Pervy Sage, and an immortal snake demon? Nah, Mitsuki is perfectly normal."

I thought you were gonna say that, out of three Sannin, the immortal snake demon having a child is the most OOC one.

gently caress, it's another way Orochimaru and Voldemort are similar.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'm sitting here trying to think of who the most "normal" person of the combined Naruto/Boruto cast is, and all I'm coming up with is Tenten and Denki, and then only maybe.

E. Not weird as in "has superpowers" but as in "personality quirks that would definitely draw comment in the real world" .

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 8, 2020

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought you were gonna say that, out of three Sannin, the immortal snake demon having a child is the most OOC one.

gently caress, it's another way Orochimaru and Voldemort are similar.

Orochimaru's probably one of the better parents of the series, or at least better than Hiashi was to Hinata.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Okay, I laughed.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 12, 2020

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

ok my binge watch of this show hit a wall when they started reviving dead characters to fight again. The Pain Arc was real good - does it ever get that good again, and what episode do I skip to in order to start enjoying it again?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The final war arc is the last big arc of the show. It’s all one ride so you really just have to keep on it until the end. It’s a long arc, but it features some of the best stuff in Shippuuden.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

poo poo, didn't realize we had someone not finished with Shippuden in the thread. Had to spoiler tag my last post.

Counterpoint: It will never be as good a whole as the Pain arc again, but there are definitely some moments that will exceed it. That being said, the early war dragged pretty hard, it's up to you if you want to watch each individual battle with an Edo Tensei resurrection. You absolutely will want to watch 296-299, then it's safe to skip to 321. Definitely watch everything 321-376 though, including the Kakashi ANBU arc which is really good filler.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

poo poo, didn't realize we had someone not finished with Shippuden in the thread. Had to spoiler tag my last post.

Counterpoint: It will never be as good a whole as the Pain arc again, but there are definitely some moments that will exceed it. That being said, the early war dragged pretty hard, it's up to you if you want to watch each individual battle with an Edo Tensei resurrection. You absolutely will want to watch 296-299, then it's safe to skip to 321. Definitely watch everything 321-376 though, including the Kakashi ANBU arc which is really good filler.

Oh I don't care about spoilers. It's an old rear end show I'm catching up on so don't worry. It's also a shounen, I think I've seen enough to know where this is all going. Especially since there is a sequel called Boruto.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Chuunin filler arc is kinda good

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Not having to wait each week for a new episode helps the pacing a lot. Not to mention the ability to skip the filler.

Still...there are a lot of flashbacks within flashbacks.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I stopped watching/reading naruto about a decade ago and recently I looked up the ending out of curiosity and dang. Am I understanding it correctly that the true villain was... an alien manipulating a plant guy manipulating an old guy manipulating kakashi's dead friend manipulating nagato (who was himself a guy manipulating six other dead guys)? Did I miss any layers of man-behind-the-man or was that all of them? Does Boruto add any more?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Slight correction: The plant guy wasn't being manipulated, he just loves his mom. And Boruto kinda adds one more layer retroactively, but The second alien that was manipulating the first alien was double crossed centuries before the main series began

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1328229106308296706

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I remain at "cautiously optimistic". It's back in the hands of the master himself, but *eyes mid-Shippuden-era Sakura* *eyes Sarada nervously*

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

And the fandom looked at each other uncomfortably, unsure whether to celebrate or rage.

So does that mean the current guy will just be doing the "art"?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't know what that means for the anime as I don't watch it (it sounds like it's the better experience, but I just don't have time for it), but honestly, Naruto at its worst was more entertaining than this, IMHO, so I'm okay with it.

I do wish Kishimoto could do literally anything but more Naruto, though, but I guess he just couldn't get anything else off the ground.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't know what that means for the anime as I don't watch it (it sounds like it's the better experience, but I just don't have time for it), but honestly, Naruto at its worst was more entertaining than this, IMHO, so I'm okay with it.

I do wish Kishimoto could do literally anything but more Naruto, though, but I guess he just couldn't get anything else off the ground.

Didn’t Kishimoto have another manga idea he wanted to do after Naruto? Whatever happened to that?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Didn’t Kishimoto have another manga idea he wanted to do after Naruto? Whatever happened to that?

That's Samurai 8 you're thinking of. It ran for less than a year before being canceled. Sales were really bad, especially since Shueisha tried to hype the poo poo out of it before it began. I think it got to the point where they tried to bundle the first two volumes together to boost sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Larryb posted:

Which one he's had like 2 or 3, and then he actually did do a Manga called Samurai 8 that got cancelled.

I hope Akira Okubo gets more work because I did love the art in that manga.