Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I grabbed Tony Hawk PS Remake and it's pretty bad rear end. Just as fun as I remembered it and am happy to learn I've forgotten all the level layouts so that's cool as well and was my main concern with buying it but the camera seems a tad off for some reason. Too close and could stand to be aimed a hair higher. I know you adjust the frame when you start but I think I might have to dig deeper and see if there's a way to adjust the eye level or something.

Having a hard time seeing stuff that's up high. Which is mostly where all the collectible poo poo is.

Other than that, this game kicks rear end. I wonder how they managed to gently caress up the later versions so bad with such a a simple and well established formula, tight controls and such a great muscle memory practice/reward thing going on. All you had to do was keep the base gameplay the same and add new interesting levels. There was never any reason to make it an RPG or open world thing at all. Also, it's one of the few games I can think of where adding a timed element to it actually enhances the experience instead of dragging it down.

The great thing about the originals was that you got just a little bit better every time you skated and could play it for like a half hour if you wanted to and then put it down (good luck) but it had a certain something that really made it addictive to where, before you knew it, you'd been playing for 3 or 4 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Death Stranding

I think at this stage I can say Kojima is still an excellent game-system designer, but has fallen behind others as a narrative lead. The broad theme about connections is good, but there's still mountains of redundant-exposition and blunt metaphor that bookends the beginning and the end of the game.

The game apologises for MGSV"s partially incomplete ending by having an extensive last act that goes on forever. You chase down Troy Baker and beat him in a fist-fight. You walk two-thirds the length of America to get in a punch-up with Mads Mikkelson. You walk the last third and shoot up a whale. You have talk on the beach with the Bionic Woman then run around on sand dunes for ages while the credits roll, only for the bionic Woman to return and blather more exposition. Some guy with a stupid name cries his eyes out. You experience two long-rear end flashbacks before the credits roll again. I'm reminded of how Horizon Zero Dawn ended: Aloy vanquishes the threat, Aloy gets closure, and then a sequel tease all in under ten minutes.That game knew that it was better to resolve it's subplots at an even pace instead of cramming hours of resolution at the end.

The plot has the same sort of twist as in MGSV in that it would work fine in a 10 hour story, but in a 50 hour sandbox game it get foreshadowed to death so that the eventual reveal is bit of a whimper. You can't tell a story about only 10 people and have it last five seasons. The longer the narrative, the bigger the world and the cast needs to be. Metal Gear at its best started as a twisty spy-story that ends in metaphor. Death Stranding starts in metaphor and ends in metaphor. There's less progression, fewer surprises. The format doesn't allow for a plot that'll blow peoples minds.

Margaret Qualley doesn't look too flattering in this game. Good lord, her teeth are huge.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Death Stranding

The plot has the same sort of twist as in MGSV in that it would work fine in a 10 hour story, but in a 50 hour sandbox game it get foreshadowed to death so that the eventual reveal is bit of a whimper. You can't tell a story about only 10 people and have it last five seasons. The longer the narrative, the bigger the world and the cast needs to be. Metal Gear at its best started as a twisty spy-story that ends in metaphor. Death Stranding starts in metaphor and ends in metaphor. There's less progression, fewer surprises. The format doesn't allow for a plot that'll blow peoples minds.

Not sure what to tell you if your mind wasn't blown when you got to the wind farm and saw that the guy's name was Jake Wind. Maybe you just don't like character building.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

You chase down Troy Baker and beat him in a fist-fight.

C'mon, he wasn't that bad as Ocelot

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

WaltherFeng posted:

Actually theres nothing wrong with the game itself. Its just that in a lot of platformers you can actually jump while your dude is already partially off the platform.

In hollow knight the sprite is so small you cant do this.

Yeah I don't really play 2D platformers and the jump in Hollow Knight seemed perfectly intuitive. So it's probably other platformers teaching you to jump late. It's apparently common enough to have a name: coyote time (named after the coyote in road runner cartoons).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sad that I can't find an option to display headgear during cutscenes in AC Odyssey, I found this rad helmet and I really want to stare eerily at people as I flirt with them/solve their problems.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shadorun: Hong Kong

The last tutorial mission says there are snipers and you should stay in cover. I assumed it was talking about putting something between my dudes and the enemies who were flanking me on both sides, but apparently 'snipers' is just a map-wide status effect, and having cover that would actually be between you and the enemies is irrelevant, you just have to be next to some kind of wall, even if it doesn't block you from any real enemies.

pretty bad communication there, and how hard would it be to just have actual snipers on the roof

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Morpheus posted:

Hollow Knight is well made, but there were definitely parts of it that took some getting used to. The jumping, for example, did feel a little off at first but I couldn't tell you why. Likewise it took me some time to get the timing for attacks down, it just feels a little different from games of its I'll, but again, I'm not sure in what way.

I think it might be because there's a very minute but tangible 'wind-up' to your attacks that you have to account for. In most games like it there's no delay between hitting the attack button and actually attacking, but Hollow Knight follows the Castlevania mold where there's an actual animation and such a thing as 'attacking too late'.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
E: nvm misread

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Very petty complaint with Doom Eternal: The new gameplay mechanics are cool and generally well-explained, but the description of the Blood Punch neglects to mention that what you punch actually does matter. When you do a Blood Punch it makes a shockwave which damages everything around you, but the tutorial doesn't seem to mention that the actual physical target of your punch takes huge bonus damage. I thought it was just the shockwave and the punch itself did no damage as is the case with your normal melee bash, so I've been essentially using it wrong by punching from strategic angles instead of just aiming for the biggest dude in the crowd.

edit: Also the Blood Punch itself is very rarely worth using because it eliminates potential resources, as it kills low-tier enemies instantly such that they drop nothing. It sticks out among the cooldown mechanics a bit, because it's not really powerful enough to save you if you're surrounded but it's melee-only so you have to put yourself in danger to use it.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 12:40 on Nov 7, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sad that I can't find an option to display headgear during cutscenes in AC Odyssey, I found this rad helmet and I really want to stare eerily at people as I flirt with them/solve their problems.

You used to be able to do this by quickly going into Photo Mode while the screen faded to black before entering a dialogue scene. I don't know if it's ever been fixed.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also the Blood Punch itself is very rarely worth using because it eliminates potential resources, as it kills low-tier enemies instantly such that they drop nothing. It sticks out among the cooldown mechanics a bit, because it's not really powerful enough to save you if you're surrounded but it's melee-only so you have to put yourself in danger to use it.

You're correct that its rarely worth using generally but as part of a hook -> blood punch -> SSG combo, it's part of the quickest ways to deal a poo poo ton of damage to one thing. I think that insta-chunks (or at least staggers) cyber-manucubi.

It's also an acceptable get out of jail card if you're surrounded and ice grenade is on CD

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Still makes me amazed the doom has cooldowns outside of putting shells in the combat shotgun

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Doom Eternal is just DMC except in first person basically. Just replace the red orbs popping out of enemies on death with armor/health/ammo chips. Now if only Doomguy could air juggle enemies...

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Do you mean DMC or DmC? The latter sort of ruined the acronym which is why we have to capitalize them differently.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Dante can just reload his weapons indefinitely with demonic power tho.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Not a complaint but:

In Death Stranding by the time you beat Chapter 3 of 14 you're over halfway the story. Baldur's Gate 2 has seven chapters, but all the side-content is unlocked in Chapter 2 which means it holds 90% of the game's content. Original Sin 2 was similar.

What games are deceptively long or short because of how it formats it's content? I recall the last three missions Revengence being incredibly short in an already light game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Blood Vials and Quicksilver Bullets continue to be the worst part of Bloodborne

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Not a complaint but:

In Death Stranding by the time you beat Chapter 3 of 14 you're over halfway the story. Baldur's Gate 2 has seven chapters, but all the side-content is unlocked in Chapter 2 which means it holds 90% of the game's content. Original Sin 2 was similar.

What games are deceptively long or short because of how it formats it's content? I recall the last three missions Revengence being incredibly short in an already light game.

Pillars of Eternity also likes to dump you a truckload of stuff to do almost immediately after the tutorial villages. There is little to none indication on what is end-game content, what is extra/DLC content (besides the entirely separate "north"), what you can get locked out of by progressing the story, what is unneccessary extra legwork and the last act what technically should be "third area to do stuff in for hours" is more like "turn in three quick missions and go to point-of-no-return to endgame dungeon".

You more or less need to know where in the 2nd Act you need to stop doing story missions if you want to explore the other content (before that they are curb stomps against the player party), and in which order to do them.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The sequel at least marked quests as "Level-Appropriate" or "You Will Die". They also give ample warning when you permanently piss off a faction and companion at a point of no return.

Still sucks that after two whole adventures together Pallegina leaves you because you voted for Bernie Sanders.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Death Stranding

I think at this stage I can say Kojima is still an excellent game-system designer, but has fallen behind others as a narrative lead. The broad theme about connections is good, but there's still mountains of redundant-exposition and blunt metaphor that bookends the beginning and the end of the game.

The game apologises for MGSV"s partially incomplete ending by having an extensive last act that goes on forever. You chase down Troy Baker and beat him in a fist-fight. You walk two-thirds the length of America to get in a punch-up with Mads Mikkelson. You walk the last third and shoot up a whale. You have talk on the beach with the Bionic Woman then run around on sand dunes for ages while the credits roll, only for the bionic Woman to return and blather more exposition. Some guy with a stupid name cries his eyes out. You experience two long-rear end flashbacks before the credits roll again. I'm reminded of how Horizon Zero Dawn ended: Aloy vanquishes the threat, Aloy gets closure, and then a sequel tease all in under ten minutes.That game knew that it was better to resolve it's subplots at an even pace instead of cramming hours of resolution at the end.

Margaret Qualley doesn't look too flattering in this game. Good lord, her teeth are huge.

Death Stranding's dialogue is what I would define as extremely undergraduate theatre. Two characters appear onscreen at any one time. When a third character enters the conversation, the other one exits. They explain things in the game world that they would almost certainly already know because they aren't actual characters, but pure expository devices for the benefit of the player. Their vernacular is entiretly interchangeable and lacks unique characterization, whether you're listening to Long Storyman or Flat Expositionman. It's some of the worst I've ever seen in a mainstream video game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

At this point Kojima is in the pool as Tarantino, where you could predict how his next work will play out since you've seen his entire grab-bag of tropes.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Not a complaint but:

Final Fantasy 15 has an open world for about three of its 15 (ofc) chapters, then a smaller city map with nothing to do for another chapter, then it suddenly becomes super linear until the end.

You can time travel back to the open world, but if you do a lot of the sidequests as they become available and gently caress around exploring, you might spend 30 hours in the first nominal fifth of the game, and 5 in the rest.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

What games are deceptively long or short because of how it formats it's content?
Jade Empire has 6 chapters, but almost all the actual content is in chapters 2 and 3.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chapters are not meant to be uniformly long sections of a work. Tracking game completion should be an entirely separate thing but because in games we're often not given a reliable way to do that we have to guess using chapters.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MGSV has perhaps the most inconsistent, lopsided story division. Like the first "chapter" is beefy, with most of the main missions and quite a bit of plot. Then it suddenly feels like they ran out of steam/money for the second one, which is mostly just replaying missions on harder difficulty with a small handful of new missions mixed in. The plot progression just moves in occasional fits and starts as you randomly pick out missions or side ops to do. It feels like the first chapter is 85% of the game. And the progression feels even weirder if you add in Ground Zeroes as its own chapter.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

MGSV has perhaps the most inconsistent, lopsided story division. Like the first "chapter" is beefy, with most of the main missions and quite a bit of plot. Then it suddenly feels like they ran out of steam/money for the second one, which is mostly just replaying missions on harder difficulty with a small handful of new missions mixed in. The plot progression just moves in occasional fits and starts as you randomly pick out missions or side ops to do. It feels like the first chapter is 85% of the game. And the progression feels even weirder if you add in Ground Zeroes as its own chapter.

Because it is (GZ the first chapter) and they ran out of time, money and publisher patience. To get the intended full story you need to google for the last mission/chapter of missions, which exists as undeployed assets in the game disk.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, I know a lot of the problems it had, but I feel like it would have worked a bit better if they'd backed off from the chapter presentation once the situation became clear, and just went straight through the story. It's a tiny change, but I think it'd flow better without the chapter division drawing attention to what seems at first like it'll be a big second half.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

You used to be able to do this by quickly going into Photo Mode while the screen faded to black before entering a dialogue scene. I don't know if it's ever been fixed.

drat, either I'm not fast enough or they patched it out at some point.
At last that means it won't interfere with my usual game of somersaulting into people just as I initiate conversation, so they go into their fear reaction and start backing away scared immediately after they happily talk with me through their quest needs or whatever.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

muscles like this! posted:

For people who don't know what this is, it was a team based multiplayer only shooter set in the Legacy of Kain universe. You know, the series that was praised for its strong writing and character work. Neither of which was very apparent in a game where you played as either a generic vampire monster or generic human.
Nosgoth was slightly less strange once it became clear that it was actually the result of a never revealed primarily single player Legacy of Kain reboot called Dead Sun getting canceled bizarrely deep into development. They basically took the tacked on multiplayer to that and beefed it up into its own lovely game.

There's 35 minutes of leaked Dead Sun footage and it's so goddamn weird how much effort had clearly been put into it before it got flushed. Looked like it had some interesting mechanics and aesthetics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVlvJJt5jWE
On the bright side, it's extremely clear that the game's writers didn't get LoK (especially the Raziel games) since it replaced the series' extremely flowery, high brow dialogue with the sort of gruff, swear-laden poo poo found in the gritty fantasies catching on at the time thanks to Game of Thrones. This thread would've been filled with complaints about that! If you haven't played any LoK (their gameplay does hold up terribly!), it's on par with a Lord of the Rings reboot with no returning characters filled with nudity and graphic violence and like the Gandalf stand-in calls the hobbits a bunch of brutish whoremongers and they tell him he's a limp dicked old bitch

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Anyway I'm playing Doom 2016 on PS4 and really like it but it does have me wondering a thing I've long wondered. I'm sure that there is a logical explanation that is immediately apparent to people who don't have an idiot brain when it games to fancy computer work, but how come more games don't have instant checkpoint respawn like is found in the Halo series and demonstrated in this doomed gameplay scenario? When you die in Halo, you see a quick clip of what your dead body is up to and then it instantly reverts you back to your checkpoint without any inputs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj2AEiU2sBw&t=6s
I played the first three Halos through on Legendary back in the day and boy would it have sucked if every time you died it had you press A to continue, watch a loading screen for ~15 seconds and then press A to continue again to restart at your checkpoint.

Whatev has a new favorite as of 01:56 on Nov 9, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Loading times sorta made a comeback as games kept getting bigger. The PS5 and X Box Series X are both hyping super fast loading so we’ll see how that works out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Loading times sorta made a comeback as games kept getting bigger. The PS5 and X Box Series X are both hyping super fast loading so we’ll see how that works out.

Two years, three tops, before we're back in the range where you can get through two different tips in a single loading screen.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I kind of wish SSDs had never become the standard so nerds like me could just enjoy super fast load times forever. It is kind of funny that fast load times are THE big feature I've seen hyped for the new consoles.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I think I'm done with Forza Motorsport 7 after loving 1 and 2 years ago. The final straws:

- There's little to no messing about with your car. To me, one of the more interesting parts of Gran Turismo-likes is outfitting your car to be a quick as possible without breaking the rules of the competition you want to enter. In Forza 7, your car gets homologated so the game basically does it itself. It's boring.

- There's no money pressure, you just get cash thrown at you and after every single race there's an orgy of numbers and bars and levels going up and look at this free poo poo you can unlock. The vast majority of games try to tickle your dopamine receptors but this feels like a too-blatant attempt to hijack them, it feels like when you know an ad campaign is too desperate to pander to you.

- No qualifying and the grid is the same for each race in a series so with the default race length, you get stuck in the too-familiar racing game loop of having to drive incredibly aggressively to get toward the front of the pack and by the time you've cut through traffic, the leaders have pulled away.

- The grid order being the same in every race along with fairly timid AI cars means that the driver on pole is likely to take maximum points from the series unless you do something about it, it makes the no-qualifying issue worse since you have to push like hell to have a chance. This is a 20 year old problem that many games have solved, it's unbelievable that it still exists in a series like Forza.

- All too common in racing games but the AI loving sucks. I turned the race length up to 'long' to ameliorate the problem I went through above with every race being an overtake challenge and trying to race the AI normally shines a light on all the problems. I am not especially talented at racing games but on the second highest difficulty with no assists and simulation steering I was five seconds a lap faster than the AI. I didn't notice any of this before because I was so focused on getting past but the AI brake far, far too early, take weird lines and frequently slam on the brakes through corners that can easily be taken flat out. On the highest difficulty the AI just cheats by having more power so I'm not playing on that.

Online seems dead so game kinda sucks. Sad!

A racing game with trapping of realism, good AI and a good career mode is my white whale. Everything I've played only has two of those. F1 2019 is the most time I've put into a racing game for years but the AI still kind of sucks. The pace is about right and they spread out nicely but they just don't gently caress up ever, which is boring. It's especially frustrating since it was made by the same guys who made GRiD which lots and lots of unforced errors.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Len posted:

Blood Vials and Quicksilver Bullets continue to be the worst part of Bloodborne

Dark Souls 2 really perfected the healing mechanics.

Refillable Estus from DS1, but you got less uses initially, but also consumable health items, as you professed you found supplies of bigger ones to heal more.

And I liked the trade-off in how they worked...Estus is a long animation, but heals fast. The lifegems were quick to activate, but their healing was slow.

But then DS 3 went back to just Estus (I think?) And Bloodborne went back to just consumable, like Demon's Souls, but then also limited the amount too can carry for some reason.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

been playing through ni no kuni 2 and while the JRPG aspects are like, whatever, serviceable, the kingdom management stuff is like catnip for me and i'm loving it. except that the money generation and building upgrades are based entirely on game time elapsing, which would be fine, except that the game pauses when you alt-tab so you have to have the game be the focus to make any progress. whyyyyyyyy :negative:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly, dealing with the pain of swapping focus between windows is a big part of the reason I do 90% console gaming these days. The constant small pain of swapping in and out of the game adds up over time, it's especially annoying for all the games that pause in place with the last quarter-second of audio looping endlessly.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Walton Simons posted:

Online seems dead so game kinda sucks. Sad!
I've seen full lobbies of C class cars ever since it showed up on game pass or whatever its called. Try different car classes online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Watch Dogs 2 certainly made me groan with it's "Getting down with the kids" attitude, but I would replay it in a heartbeart if the only other option was GTA V.