Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

What are the best sources for bitz for this? I'm assuming Warhammer bitz would be comically oversized, but other than a few places that seem to specifically sell weapons/accoutrements for Gaslands (with relatively limited selections), it seems hard to find 20mm bitz that are on-theme.

https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/ and http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/ have some stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

I've bought some terrain (fence and concrete barriers) from this guy and I know he has car bits:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/funboardgames

I can't find the discount code I had, but if you join his mailing list you get some kind of discount.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

What are the best sources for bitz for this? I'm assuming Warhammer bitz would be comically oversized, but other than a few places that seem to specifically sell weapons/accoutrements for Gaslands (with relatively limited selections), it seems hard to find 20mm bitz that are on-theme.

If you have access to a 3D printer thingiverse has several Gaslands printable files.

Failing that, if you know anyone that plays Team Yankee many of the parts from their vehicles will work.

The most common option is to simply build your own bits out of plasticard.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Warhammer bitz are fine if you kind of upgrade what they are in your head. Use man-sized heavy weapons as vehicle-mounted heavy weapons. Basically you just have to look at your bits and ask yourself if they would make sense as cannons/machine guns/Tesla coils/whatever else on your cars.

Failing that, I would actually recommend joining the Gaslands FB group. There are some people making great weapons, tires, armor, and other pieces that are only selling them within the group. They’re not expensive, and that’s how I got a bunch of mine. They look great and I will likely go back to the group for more bits later if I need them.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

https://ramshacklegames.co.uk/ sells a bunch of conversion parts, however their web store is currently closed down :(

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Meet The CrafsMan, as he makes Gaslands cars on his awesome channel, Steady Craftin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm7SIpaaU24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpieTk3WGSU

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Indolent Bastard posted:

Meet The CrafsMan, as he makes Gaslands cars on his awesome channel, Steady Craftin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm7SIpaaU24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpieTk3WGSU

Dudes videos are a gold mine of hobby tips. I've been watching his stuff for a little while and was really surprised when he cropped up when I started looking at gaslands stuff.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I’ve been playing some Gaslands with a buddy on Vassal, and it works pretty well. I’m a little more experienced with war games than he is, but our experience with Gaslands is basically equal. That said, I think our difference in broader experience fame into play in our recent Death Race game. I built a team to play to the mission (performance car, bike with sidecar, and one “heavy” which was a reinforced normal car). Took Miyazaki for the “push it” rerolls and committed my performance car to just race, and for the other two vehicles to cause chaos.

We ended the game early when it became clear, despite the fact that I lost both the bike and the normal car, that there was no way for my friend to get his two vehicles to catch up with my car and either destroy it or take it down before I crossed the finish. Both of his vehicles were just beyond Gate 1 and my performance car was almost to Gate 3. It was kinda cool having a beastly racer in the game; hopefully our next game will be a little more competitive in the late game.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Personally, I think it's better to build your team before rolling for the scenario. That way you have to cover your bases a bit more, rather than tailoring to the objective. Also helps you bond with your team more, as you aren't just reconfiguring everything for each mission.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

You can pry my double harpoon super ram truck from my cold dead hands.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

tokenbrownguy posted:

You can pry my double harpoon super ram truck from my cold dead hands.

Literally the thing that got me interested in gaslands was realizing I could put a harpoon gun on a truck.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Signal posted:

Personally, I think it's better to build your team before rolling for the scenario. That way you have to cover your bases a bit more, rather than tailoring to the objective. Also helps you bond with your team more, as you aren't just reconfiguring everything for each mission.

Yeah we might do that: team build then either pick or roll random scenario.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Was the race set up as a figure-4 or figure-8 or other layout where the lead car has the potential to re-encounter slower racers? That's another option to give slower competitors one more shot to slow or stop a breakout leader.

Haven't tried Vassal, but I've set up what I think is a pretty decent Roll20 implementation. It can be a little fiddly and could use more testing, but if anyone's interested in giving it a shot, PM me and we can see if there's a time that would work (US PDT).

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

FiddlersThree posted:

Was the race set up as a figure-4 or figure-8 or other layout where the lead car has the potential to re-encounter slower racers? That's another option to give slower competitors one more shot to slow or stop a breakout leader.

Haven't tried Vassal, but I've set up what I think is a pretty decent Roll20 implementation. It can be a little fiddly and could use more testing, but if anyone's interested in giving it a shot, PM me and we can see if there's a time that would work (US PDT).

It was a figure-8 track, but my remaining car was already past the middle again, and my friend’s cars were both still at the other end of the table. So despite the open middle where slower and faster cars could encounter each other, the specific positions of the vehicles in this case just weren’t going to meet up again.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

You might want more physical obstacles in the course. Makes it harder to make those Long Straights.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Hey speaking of obstacles, here's some obstacles and cars I painted this month.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Those are some fine looking cars and terrain. What do you use for those corrugate plates? Cardboard?

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Those are some fine looking cars and terrain. What do you use for those corrugate plates? Cardboard?

Can't speak for TotalHell, but I usually use corrugated paper for that kind of thing. I've got it at Michaels/Hobby Lobby in the past, and I've seen it on Amazon. It's like thinner, lighter corrugated cardboard, and you don't have to separate it to get that texture.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Yeah, there are multiple ways to get that; as thocan mentioned above, there’s paper that does this, but at many hobby shops you can also get what is basically a corrugated/textured metal foil. That’s what mine is. It’s thick enough to hold its shape, but still easy to cut with scissors or shape how you need.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I grabbed some of that paper trying to make shipping containers, and thoughI haven't been happy with the results since I am a beginner, the paper is sweet looking. For smaller bits, you can also find something similar in plastic packaging sometimes, like the bottom of a package of cookies or something. It's 'free' in that you already bought it, and it's nice to save it from the landfill.

I've also seen model railroaders use fancy extra heavy aluminum foil and tightly coiled springs to roll out corregated sheets too. (Sorry, couldn't refind that video, but it was this guy).

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

You can also buy what’s technically referred to as a toothpaste squeezer, which is a set of parallel gears in a handle that’ll let you corrugate your own cardstock or foam.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
My local model railroad shop has sheets of textured styrene - a little more expensive but a sheet goes forever

https://evergreenscalemodels.com/collections/0401-0mm-opaque-white-polystyrene-corrugated-metal-siding

It's what I'm using here:

xiw posted:

Finally got around to playing this and we play again tomorrow

First cars:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Where are some good places to check for cheap lots of cars? Unfortunately local goodwills haven't had much beyond a single bag and when I've checked through nearby market groups on facebook or through ebay, I keep seeing stuff like $50 for a random box of loose cars or $10 for 2 cars and it feels kinda scammy and overpriced. I just don't feel like I'm having any luck finding anything.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FirstAidKite posted:

Where are some good places to check for cheap lots of cars? Unfortunately local goodwills haven't had much beyond a single bag and when I've checked through nearby market groups on facebook or through ebay, I keep seeing stuff like $50 for a random box of loose cars or $10 for 2 cars and it feels kinda scammy and overpriced. I just don't feel like I'm having any luck finding anything.

They're like $1 each new

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

Most supermarkets will have them in a random aisle hanging off a shelf, either as singles or maybe like a 5 pack.

Not sure where you are, but try places like Burlington or Marshalls.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

They're like $1 each new

This is going to sound dumb but I don't want to buy new cars just to destroy them, I'd rather recycle someone else's.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

FirstAidKite posted:

This is going to sound dumb but I don't want to buy new cars just to destroy them, I'd rather recycle someone else's.

Then it’s basically Goodwills or other charity shops. Any other secondary market can’t compete with the price of $1 new cars.

Maybe check to see if the larger bulk packages go on discount at Target?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Yeah, I am under the impression that most of the secondary market for diecast cars is collectors, so I don't think they would be cheaper most of the time. Also, you'd still probably be destroying something someone might want.

Very cheap metal cars can be gotten at dollar stores, but they are so thin and cheap that they are probably better for terrain (stacks of crushed cars) most of the time. However, you can just bend the metal with pliers, which is nice, as opposed to the 'Zamac" of a normal modern diecast which requires real tools to deform.

The other advantage of buying from a normal retail store: If you gently caress up, you can replace it. The disadvantage? If you gently caress up, you can replace it. While making several cars, I've been extremely discouraged and wanted to buy a replacement to start over, then I realized: in the wasteland, they can't just replace it. They would send some bald dude with a sledgehammer and a pile of rusty scrap to beat that car into something. So I've been trying to embrace my post-apoc Bob Ross and try to survive these little accidents.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

FirstAidKite posted:

Have you checked your area for garage and estate sales?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Hot Wheels/Matchbox are another one of those formerly cheap secondhand things that has been ruined by 'ThIs Is WoRtH hUnDrEdS oN eBaY!' It is not uncommon for charity shops selling broke as gently caress cars significantly higher than retail on new ones.

Your best bet is hooking up with a local GL/Car Wars/Dark Future group and seeing if anyone has any chassis that didn't quite work out they way they wanted or extras or whatever. Since cars are super cheap and people have insane ideas, people are pretty generous within the community.

Also, if you have any family with kids? One (sketchy) dude that I know bragged that all his cars were stolen from his kids.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Also, if you have any family with kids? One (sketchy) dude that I know bragged that all his cars were stolen from his kids.

I got a load of free cars from someone at work clearing out their olders kids stuff.

I then had to have a bartering session with my 4 year old on the living room floor.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Do you have secondhand stores that aren't Goodwills in your area? I know it might sound silly to say "check secondhand stores!" when you implied you have already, but truly check to make sure you haven't missed any around you. The vast majority of my cars (including ones from the pics above) came from a place near me in MD called 2nd Avenue that had a huge wall of bags of old toys at the back of the store. You had to do a little searching, but you could get bags of 5-6 cars, most of which were usable, for like $3.

Also consider that you are not in any way destroying new cars you purchase, you are simply repurposing them into something new that you can be proud of. I now have several cool post-apocalyptic cars that other people have gotten a real kick out of seeing that are much more fun and better than if I showed off a new Matchbox whatever. I almost think of the cars as a palette to work from. I know that sounds silly but maybe it'll change how you look at buying the cars new when you plan to alter them.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TotalHell posted:

Also consider that you are not in any way destroying new cars you purchase, you are simply repurposing them into something new that you can be proud of.

Yes but it's more satisfying to rescue lovely models meant for the dumpster and enjoy seeing their transformation into lovingly painted and weathered post-apoc weaponized vehicles which are supposed to look like that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Another dumb question, where do any of you get terrain from? I thought I'd be able to find some cheap sets of road signs or construction signs and junkyard stuff at dollar stores but it turns out they mainly just have cars and hot wheels tracks, nothing along the lines of traffic cones, signs, guardrails, fences, or anything. It's kind of odd because I swear I've seen sets of stuff before that were basically just terrain/road accessories and I'm not entirely sure what I'd want to search up if I need to resort to ordering stuff online other than looking up each thing individually.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Another dumb question, where do any of you get terrain from? I thought I'd be able to find some cheap sets of road signs or construction signs and junkyard stuff at dollar stores but it turns out they mainly just have cars and hot wheels tracks, nothing along the lines of traffic cones, signs, guardrails, fences, or anything. It's kind of odd because I swear I've seen sets of stuff before that were basically just terrain/road accessories and I'm not entirely sure what I'd want to search up if I need to resort to ordering stuff online other than looking up each thing individually.

Honestly you can search “wargame terrain” wherever and get results. That’s exactly what I searched on eBay and ended up buying some 3-D printed junkyard terrain (stacks of barrels and tires) that worked great. There are also lots of sites online that sell appropriate stuff!

Death Rat Designs “Rust Pointe” terrain: https://deathraydesigns.com/product-category/terrain/scifi/rust-pointe/

I also tend to like some of the stuff in Vallejo’s Scenics range: https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/category/hobby/vallejo-scenics/

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Train stuff might be an option as well. I can't remember what scale is close to diecast, but there is one pretty close.

Now that the holidays are (kinda) in full swing, those kitschy Christmas village pieces might have some uses. I knew a dude that made an entire 15mm WWII Normandy village using those and after a bit of repainting it looked reasonable. I know I have seen more modern sets of pretty much everything including road construction and garbage trucks.

I am sure once you get looking at what is available, there are all kinds of weird things you can come up with. Even just taking random ornaments and breaking them in half and making them look half-buried would be cool. 'Last turn is down by the horse rear end sticking outta the ground, bikes and lower cars can sneak under the legs, trucks and rigs have to take it wide or they are gonna scrape.'

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Train stuff might be an option as well. I can't remember what scale is close to diecast, but there is one pretty close.

Because matchbox/toy car scales are inexact, it's 50/50 whether they'll look ok with HO Scale or S Scale. Cars usually look better with S scale, while trucks and especially busses look better with HO scale stuff.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Oh yeah, dealing with diecast box scale is a total pain, but every now and again you can stumble on something that is either close enough or cheap enough to make it work.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/OspreyGames/status/1332363011110080513?s=19

Want a hardcopy? Want to get a friend into Gadlands? Now is your chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Your guys' cars are giving me hekkin strong Dark Future vibes.