Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Whose game for some relentless climbing complete with the possibility of riding off a ravine or getting struck by lightning?

This does look like an incredible ride that I’m going to try to do whenever I’m able to get back in Durango.

https://www.rodeo-labs.com/2017/12/30/risk-reward-black-bear-pass/

Now is as good a time as ever to mention that this is a good group of people who have gone above and beyond to make a sale work for me over the last couple of weeks. Stephen, the guy from this article, has directly helped me out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Just in case this point of data is important to anyone besides me:
40x650b teravail cannonball measures out to 38.5mm on velocity A23 rims.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Elmnt80 posted:

Yeah yeah, bieks, gravel all that good stuff, but imma need you to be making a post (or twelve) about that westy over in AI pronto. That thing is minty. :flashfap:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298776&pagenumber=294#post509152615

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
there is some gravel just out of frame, laughing too

(Tuned up my old Kona and put some Big Apples on it. Mostly it just needed a degrease/regrease of the shifters. I should probably get a new chain as well. It's a fun bike to ride.)

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I'm recovering from covid which I got almost immediately after my last post. Missed that race cuz of it too. I've been able to start riding again, but my heart is still pretty messed up so I have to be sure to keep things good and chill. Yesterday I got out and had a great ride on a windy af (20mph sustained, 35mph gusts) day. I managed to push my VeloSquares up to 40x40.

I'm at the point where I have to drive 45+ minutes to get somewhere to ride. Whereas I spent the summer doing 30ish mile rides on weekdays now it's not really worth the time investment for that. Weather permitting though and I can push that square bigger with a few solid weekend rides. And next weekend looks absolutely gorgeous.

Little gravel buddy. It must be pretty new cuz it's in great shape.

Another little gravel buddy. Too bad we dropped him when we turned and got the tailwind.

🌽🌽 Tis the season 🌽🌽

Headwind B road. Always thankful when they're dry.

https://i.imgur.com/apZ8rpP.mp4
Wind! This was early in the ride. Probably only 17mph here.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 1, 2020

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Im glad you're here to post with us, friend.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Im glad you're here to post with us, friend.
Thanks!

Just checked, previous post was on the 23rd. On the timeline that's probably the exact day I contracted it (give or take one day). Fun times. Stay safe, y'all. Covid absolutely wrecked me for over a week and I'm still paying for it over a month later. Everything I'm reading says my heart will take 2-5 months to sort itself out. And I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't have to get hospitalized. Long story short, gently caress Kim Reynolds for repeatedly loving Iowa.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

Thanks!

Just checked, previous post was on the 23rd. On the timeline that's probably the exact day I contracted it (give or take one day). Fun times. Stay safe, y'all. Covid absolutely wrecked me for over a week and I'm still paying for it over a month later. Everything I'm reading says my heart will take 2-5 months to sort itself out. And I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't have to get hospitalized. Long story short, gently caress Kim Reynolds for repeatedly loving Iowa.

drat dude. Glad you're on the road groad to recovery.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

So does anyone see much benefit to the new Shimano gravel rear derailleurs with a clutch, over a normal r7000? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth an extra thirty bucks. I don't need support for a super wide-range cassette because I already have a sub-compact crank on this bike

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
On gravel? Get a clutched derailleur for sure. If nothing else, for keeping the chain from slapping your chainstay all the time.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
With 1x I'd definitely want one, with 2x not completely necessary. I can't recall ever dropping the chain with the original 105 2x10 drivetrain on my cx bike but it happens occasionally now with apex 1. Especially near the end of the life of the chain and/or chainring. Oh yeah it does make a little less noise though.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, good point about stopping chain slap, it's probably worth it to me just for that

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Gravel is good. B road crossroads is also good.

Clutched ders are good too.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Crumps Brother posted:

Gravel is good. B road crossroads is also good.

Clutched ders are good too.

Can you play guitar really, really well now?

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
got the clutch derailleurs, ive never remembered to engage the clutch :downs:

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

MacPac posted:

got the clutch derailleurs, ive never remembered to engage the clutch :downs:

Same. My bike came with a clutched Ultegra. At first I left it engaged all the time, but I shut it off for a long road ride, and forgot to turn it back on for a week.

End result, no dropped chains, no chain slap even in small ring, smaller cogs combinations.

On a related not, I am waiting to see when clutch activation will be done by a switch on the bars, instead of having to sop, get off the bike and throw a lever.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

VacaGrande posted:

Can you play guitar really, really well now?
😈

I really only use my clutch for cx. There was one time this year where I was bombing some pretty washboarded gravel downhills and I flipped it on for that too.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I leave the clutch on all the time on my cx bike.

The Shimano clutch design is slightly draggy (SRAM's is not), but I've had issues with dropping the chain when bunnyhopping when it's off, and am not smart enough to think about toggling it on/off for when I'm just riding around. Reduced chainslap all the time is nice, too.

Toggle it off for taking the wheel off.

Night Witch
Jul 20, 2015

Katya, my dear, we will live long.
There were tons of bighorn sheep roaming around Waterton Canyon on Saturday. I love seeing wildlife so close to the city.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Registration for Iowa Wind and Rock has opened. It's a 340 mile cue sheet only gravel race in April. It's tough. For the 2020 edition myself and some goon / goon adjacent folks were signed up. All of us DNSed for somewhat obvious reasons. Registration will remain open until November 30th and the event is completely free. If you have even the slightest inkling that this might be up your alley then you should sign up now so you have it in your pocket. Hit me up with any questions or whatnot.

IWAR Website
IWAR Facebook
IWAR Registration

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I ran my old gravel bike without a clutch and just wrapped an old tube as chainstay protector. Had a few drops but nothing big

New bike has clutch and I like it.

Either way works (this is 2x) on both

I notice if I forget and leave the clutch off, a lot more rattling and slapping

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Been on zwift a lot lately, nice to get out for some real rides occasionally.

Also I bought all that new winter riding stuff so I need to use it. Full bib tights and winter shoes are so nice.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Colder today, but sunny

brought the essentials

did a loop around a mountain and came from back there

then back down into town

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 22, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Am I the only one with the spirit of gravel anymore or what?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

The spirit is strongest within you. You must never stop posting!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Extra grabbly last weekend

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Most of the gravel around here is mountain bike trails. Steep climbs, rocky descents, deep sand, and mud puddles.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Did a 400km gravel ride with around 8000m in 4 days last week in a remote place (Patagonia) with a small group. We didn't know if we'd be able to go up until the last day, everyone had a pcr test done before travelling and all permissions were solicited and we got green light. It was also my birthday, and after this strange 2020, it was a most welcome gift.

Some might recall a post from last year with similar weird looking trees, its because we did a similar trip last december. The chosen routes were different except one, and there are many, many more to do here.

We got rain, scorching sun, and everything in between. Next trip is booked for next march, even more deep into Patagonia.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Wow, you had a sag wagon for your private group?

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

El Laucha posted:

Did a 400km gravel ride with around 8000m in 4 days last week in a remote place (Patagonia) with a small group.

gently caress

who provided the support for your ride? what part of patagonia?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Thank you for posting all of those photos. Looks incredible

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
loving awesome

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, we had 2-3 support cars most of the time which ment food/drinks/change of clothes/spares and if you were burnt out you could get a ride.

I'm part of a cycling club where the guys (2 friends) that run it started organizing these types of trips locally after lots of years doing the same in europe. They bought a piece of land and have been building up a kick rear end cabin for many years now. They ride with us and invite 2-3 people to help them run this, including a mechanic and a photographer.

This is on the chilean patagonia side (9th region). I'd say its the beggining of the patagonian part, next trip is going to be further south and we'll be in real patagonia then (close to Chaiten, last place that had a huge volcano eruption down here).

A few more photos:

Not everything is done on a bike:

This is a thermal pool that takes hot water directly from the bottom of the lake, it was at 39° that day.

Beer on tap!

Top notch trip, 10/10.

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 28, 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Group ride and hanging out after in a pandemic giving me anxiety

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
So, uh, what’s a trip like that cost per person ?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I'm with Levitate on this one; those are awesome photos, it looks like an awesome trip, and I'm extremely envious. However, while my intent here isn't to poo poo on you or discourage stoke sharing, I think there are plenty of us on this here forum who have been making a lot of personal sacrifices over the last 9+ months, including but not limiting to sitting out any/all group rides, and it would be broadly appreciated if there were some sensitivity to that and some thoughtfulness when sharing photos of your experience.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Thirding that. Unnecessary travel and no distancing is way out into 'why we can't have nice things' behaviour.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Yes there's a pandemic on, but we can acknowledge that without dog piling on El Laucha for sharing gravel riding pics in the thread for gravel riding. He's not going to un-take that trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my anxiety is knowing ill never get to do anything as cool as that :(