Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There are videos out now and both the PS5 and the Xbox Series play old games significantly better, even in many cases where the devs put in no or limited extra work to make them do that.

I know in 2-3 years it won't matter as the consoles have a bigger library but as someone who usually waits 2-3 years to get the new generation I'm actually really excited to get them as early as possible because of that. I hope whatever Nintendo does next has something similar, where I could play BOTW at higher resolutions and better framerate out of the box but from past Nintendo hardware it usually works on a small handful of games

If the Nintendo Switch 2 has DLSS, it could theoretically take a the native old 900p image and render it to 4K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Truman Sticks posted:

I got out of the Mako one time to fight some baddies, and when the fight was over and I got back inside, I instantly got a game over. Apparently the Mako had taken fatal damage during the fight so it became a literal death trap.

Ok, so that's hosed up, but otherwise, the Mako was fine.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Muscle Tracer posted:

i just wish nintendo, ms and sony could agree on which button position means 'yes' and which means 'no'

Nintendo decided 37 years ago, it's Sony and Microsoft who keep changing things.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MS using the same button names as Nintendo but in the opposite positions is legit the most hosed up thing in gaming

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fortunately I haven't had to touch a Microsoft controller in like 5 years

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

MS using the same button names as Nintendo but in the opposite positions is legit the most hosed up thing in gaming

The Xbox controller is just a Dreamcast controller, which was a direct descendant of the Saturn 3D Control Pad included with Nights.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Microsoft even stole the color scheme from Dreamcast.

Also, on the topic of confirm/deny, Sony is letting a bunch of 30 year old marketing dudes from California take over the entire Playstation brand and one of their first orders of business was loving over the Japanese market.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I've been playing Genshin Impact on PC with an xbox controller, and B is set to confirm and A is set to cancel with no way of changing it in-game. I can retrain my brain after playing for a little bit, but then it leads to chaos when I switch to playing 99% of other NA game releases where A=confirm & B=cancel.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Remember the dark souls port that had B as confirm except on text input screens :whitewater:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I wonder why they can't just make it a toggle? Or just configurable from the system level, seems like a very very very easy fix that would accommodate a lot of people.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can remap on PlayStation at the system level

And on switch afaik

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

That PlayStation news is bullshit.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Walla posted:

That PlayStation news is bullshit.

Do you mean bad or fake

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

The Bloop posted:

Do you mean bad or fake

Bad.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Bloop posted:

Do you mean bad or fake

Bad
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sony-japan-has-been-sidelined-from-playstation-5s-launch-a-new-report-claims/
they laid off a bunch of people from the part of Sony that helped make Bloodborne

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Here's the full article which details the launch of the PS5 and the shift towards the western market.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-07/microsoft-sets-sights-on-sony-s-home-turf-in-game-console-clash

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Wild to see Sony Japan sidelined by Sony America.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The Bloop posted:

Do you mean bad or fake

Bad, as others said. I get catering to the larger market, if that's what America has become, but don't gently caress over a substantial portion of your consumers in the process.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If the question is “why did a company do a thing” the answer is always “because they thought it would make more money.”

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think there's money to be made by forcing Japanese people to use X to confirm, destroying 26 years of muscle memory, but hey I'm not an executive for a billion dollar company so maybe I'm wrong.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

American McGay posted:

I don't think there's money to be made by forcing Japanese people to use X to confirm, destroying 26 years of muscle memory, but hey I'm not an executive for a billion dollar company so maybe I'm wrong.

Save a buck while internationalizing?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can remap on PlayStation at the system level

And on switch afaik

Unless I'm missing something, remapping the buttons on Switch would make A/B reversed for everything, not just for confirm and cancel.

It being backwards by default on Playstation is extra dumb because the buttons are literally labeled with O and X, which anyone could look at and understand as being yes and no.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

As someone who's imported a large amount of JP region games across the past 3 generations of PS platforms, I've frequently run into issues of JP region design clashing with The Rest of the Planet's. Some games are cool with X=Confirm and automatically transition to it on a system OS level, while some don't and just blurt our O=Confirm so you hit circle and it actually cancels the act. It's kind of a pain in the rear end to deal with sometimes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

American McGay posted:

Also all Japanese signs and product designs use Circle for yes and X for no, which will make the PS5 one of the major consumer products that does the opposite

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I play enough games with stupid control schemes that a "default" has literally no meaning to me

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I'm conditioned to think X=no, O=yes just from having stuff graded in school.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Dip Viscous posted:

Same but opposite. X is for me how I'd check a box, and 0 signifies empty or Zero or nothing in mind.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dip Viscous posted:

This reminds me of a time in fourth grade where we had to mark another person's math quiz. I put O for yes and X for no because I saw it done in a videogame and thought it looked neat. The teacher flipped out and thought I was giving my person a zero. He told me to put to a check mark when the answer was correct. I tried to explain but I was shut down. This was in Canada.

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 8, 2020

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm Canadian and I had roughly that same experience in school. When I did something wrong they wouldn't cross through it, they circled it then noted what was wrong.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I'm in the Midwestern United States. Some teachers did use a checkmark instead of an X to indicate incorrect, but a circle always meant correct. Fascinating that this is evidently regional.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
All games should allow full button customization. Hell, you should be able to customize and save controls for each game from the console OS level at this point.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

All games should allow full button customization. Hell, you should be able to customize and save controls for each game from the console OS level at this point.

Anything close to a AAA game should have complete customization with automatically adjusting in-game prompts and whatnot

I won't say every single indie game should put in that level of effort, but yeah there should be console-level remaps also, for accessibility reasons if nothing else

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What do you guys mean by at the console level? Like how the switch gives you full control where A can actually he your ZL and ZL can be set to ZR?

Because yeah that's a real cool and neat feature more systems should offer

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Len posted:

What do you guys mean by at the console level? Like how the switch gives you full control where A can actually he your ZL and ZL can be set to ZR?

I think they added it in a system update recently. PS4 definitely has it. Xbox might as well

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Same but opposite. X is for me how I'd check a box, and 0 signifies empty or Zero or nothing in mind.

I always thought it was weird the way electrical equipment used a circle for 'off' when a circle also represents an active circuit. In conclusion human iconography is weird and subjective

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Len posted:

Basically that, except if you could also save presets for specific games so you don't have to shuffle control schemes for different games.

It'd save some hassle for developers, if nothing else.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

American McGay posted:

Microsoft even stole the color scheme from Dreamcast.

Also, on the topic of confirm/deny, Sony is letting a bunch of 30 year old marketing dudes from California take over the entire Playstation brand and one of their first orders of business was loving over the Japanese market.

What the gently caress? :psyduck:

Augus posted:

Bad
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sony-japan-has-been-sidelined-from-playstation-5s-launch-a-new-report-claims/
they laid off a bunch of people from the part of Sony that helped make Bloodborne
What the gently caress? :psyboom:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You hit R1 to confirm and Select to deny, this is the real correct control scheme.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Anything close to a AAA game should have complete customization with automatically adjusting in-game prompts and whatnot

I won't say every single indie game should put in that level of effort,

If you build it in from the beginning it’s not much more work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Feels Villeneuve posted:

as far as games that are actually on the switch go, i am losing my poo poo trying to figure out Mad Rat Dead's controls but at least the soundtrack is bad rear end

I tried the demo for that because a certain vtuber played it and I kept ground pounding into cactuses. I'm glad it has a rewind mechanic instead of forcing a perfect run or checkpoints on you, but I'm a bit concerned that anything more complex than was in the demo will just leave me a flailing dumbass. Music is indeed super great.