Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Jigoku posted:

Two good things about the Pixel 5 because I've been unfair to it. I think the camera is much better than the 2 xl. At 2.0 zoom, photos look almost as good as 1.0. The wide angle camera is also very good, with minimal distortion on the sides.

I'm sure there have been other under the hood improvements but they started doing AI sharpening or whatever it's called with the 3 I think, which definitely makes a difference with zoomed in photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'd definitely buy a couple 4a at $200

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

I'd definitely buy a couple 4a at $200

Got it so my wife can upgrade from a 3a, it'll be a nice bump up

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

wide lens is rad as hell

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Since I've been so on the fence about the Pixel 5 and have been really curious about iOS again, I decided to also pick up an iPhone 12 Pro. Both phones have a two week return window so I figure gently caress it, compare them both in reality and stop watching countless YouTube reviews and comparisons.

Long story short: the iPhone feels like the premium, top quality device I crave, but iOS is still hokey dog poo poo software for babies. The cameras/software still can't hold a candle to Google. I really wish they dropped a thousand dollar Pixel that felt as good as using Android does. Ah well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I kind of want a gimbal for this Pixel 5 but I don't even know if I'd use it since I rarely go anywhere anyway now a days. :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know everyone's already raved about the P5's battery, but I've been on my phone for 2.5 hours this morning, including about 20 minutes of YouTube and it still says it's at 100%?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oxygen-os-open-beta-3-for-the-oneplus-8-and-oneplus-8-pro.1332054/page-27

OnePlus pushed a stable update to their beta channel and in some cases it auto updates and wipes the phone lol

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sab669 posted:

I know everyone's already raved about the P5's battery, but I've been on my phone for 2.5 hours this morning, including about 20 minutes of YouTube and it still says it's at 100%?

This doesn't sound like a great battery. It sounds like Android is not properly estimating the battery

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The P5's battery is fine. In fact, it seems excellent overall (finally). It seems to have a display or calibration issue though, because no stamina test has come close to matching thread & reddit anecdotes on it.
It pulls 95hrs @ 60hz & 92@90hz, which is similar to a recent iPhone (non-maxxx pro) or Note 10 (non-plus).
That's exactly where you'd expect it to be, honestly. The pixel has just gone from grossly under-performing to being on-par.

It's a long way short of the big battery/budget phone range, but that wasn't a design goal anyway.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Khablam posted:

The P5's battery is fine. In fact, it seems excellent overall (finally). It seems to have a display or calibration issue though, because no stamina test has come close to matching thread & reddit anecdotes on it.
It pulls 95hrs @ 60hz & 92@90hz, which is similar to a recent iPhone (non-maxxx pro) or Note 10 (non-plus).
That's exactly where you'd expect it to be, honestly. The pixel has just gone from grossly under-performing to being on-par.

It's a long way short of the big battery/budget phone range, but that wasn't a design goal anyway.

I'm having a similar experience - battery life if vastly improved over my pixel 1, but it isn't anywhere near what people are posting about.

Thinking about how we all use our phones can maybe explain this? If I play a game (record keeper or dissidia or whatever) that seem pretty intensive it would drain the battery faster than browsing SA.

Also, the phone heats up a bit using those apps so probably means that the battery is draining faster.

Battery life still feels great!

Sort of related - I've seen posts on reddit and such about wireless charging and charging in general and I was wondering if anyone knows anything on these topics:

1. Does wireless charging actually harm the battery? I bought some ubiolabs wireless chargers and they charge the phone really fast, but also cause it to heat up. Reddit (I know) seems to think that it will wreck the battery and I can't find information about why this would happen.

2. Does it matter what the battery is at when I charge it? Again, reddit and other websites have all these recommendations about how low you ought to let the battery get before charging. I'm the type of person that likes to top up the battery, but people say this is both harmful and not harmful - very helpful.

I'm really wondering if either of these things matter over a 3 yr lifespan. If this is like my pixel 1 I'll probably either replace the phone in 2-3 years or get a new battery.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I just got a Pixel 3a XL and that is a hella good phone, found a mint one for under $200 and threw CalyxOS on it so I could move away from Google services (I know, ironic) and stick to services that respect privacy even just a little bit. The bar is pretty low considering the amount of poo poo Google tracks.

Anyone else try CalyxOS or GrapheneOS?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Vasler posted:

Thinking about how we all use our phones can maybe explain this? If I play a game (record keeper or dissidia or whatever) that seem pretty intensive it would drain the battery faster than browsing SA.
This is of course true, but local conditions are a massive factor on standby time.
My N10+ pulls these averages when I just go between my home (5-bar 5g coverage) to work (5-bar 5g coverage) 5 days a week.

If I visit my parents' home, which is a weak 3G signal that barely remains connected, the screen off time leaps down and I only just about get through a day.

Both the screen and the radio components use energy proportional to their energy output, so the only counter to those sinks is more mAh.

quote:

1. Does wireless charging actually harm the battery? I bought some ubiolabs wireless chargers and they charge the phone really fast, but also cause it to heat up. Reddit (I know) seems to think that it will wreck the battery and I can't find information about why this would happen.

2. Does it matter what the battery is at when I charge it? Again, reddit and other websites have all these recommendations about how low you ought to let the battery get before charging. I'm the type of person that likes to top up the battery, but people say this is both harmful and not harmful - very helpful.

I'm really wondering if either of these things matter over a 3 yr lifespan.
The difference between babying your phone to the best """advice""" and just charging it overnight, is not particularly significant over 3 years.
Phone battery units+chargers use complex logic circuits to do everything you'll read about on BatteryUniversity (and other places) for you, meaning the research conducted on raw lithium cells almost doesn't translate at all.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

About an hour after I posted it started to go down by about 7% percent, go figure. I would believe it's some calibration / updating issue as was suggested.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Accubattery recommends you charge your phone to 85% to reduce battery wear cycles and to keep the battery between 25% and 85%. The Samsung Tab S7 will actually let you just set 85% to display as 100%, which is really nice for the battery paranoid.

I think regardless of what you do, if you just use the phone like a normal person, you're going to notice your battery life slipping 1.5 years in and then by 3 years you might start wanting a new Android phone.

With iPhones, a combination of software and the battery starts reducing performance, but you may get 3-5 years in before they start even just turning off on their own at 20%.

I don't think battery janitoring is worth it because battery degradation is inevitable. Phones are unfortunately disposable. You could try getting the battery replaced, but at that point you're probably out of the update window.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 8, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

After resetting my pixel 3 plus it started shutting off at 60% battery. I guess its calibration is totally off. is there some way to reset it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jigoku posted:

Accubattery recommends you charge your phone to 85% to reduce battery wear cycles and to keep the battery between 25% and 85%. The Samsung Tab S7 will actually let you just set 85% to display as 100%, which is really nice for the battery paranoid.

I think regardless of what you do, if you just use the phone like a normal person, you're going to notice your battery life slipping 1.5 years in and then by 3 years you might start wanting a new Android phone.

With iPhones, a combination of software and the battery starts reducing performance, but you may get 3-5 years in before they start even just turning off on their own at 20%.

I don't think battery janitoring is worth it because battery degradation is inevitable. Phones are unfortunately disposable. You could try getting the battery replaced, but at that point you're probably out of the update window.

Please do not janitor your battery. Just use your phone like a normie ffs

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

All phones have more capacity than they report. The "not hitting 100% or 0%" is built in. I know for all Samsung phones since the s8 it is at least 10%, as they put out a paper on it. I don't think they're unique in this, however. All phones also lie about being 100% off the charger. All phones also lie about their percentage to some degree to avoid sudden shocking drops.

All the advice is based on charging lithium cells in isolation to all this fuckery that does it for you.

Don't janitor your batteries it's really entirely not worth thinking about.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I will use wireless charging with reckless abandon!

It does heat my phone up compared to regular charging, which kind of concerns my. On the other hand, it charges *super* fast.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone else with a Pixel 3 have issues with their 5 GHz home wifi? Seemingly at random, my phone will claim the wifi doesn't have an internet connection, so it'll switch over to cellular data. No other device that's using the 5 GHz band seems to have this problem, and if I swap my phone to 2.4 GHz it's not a problem.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

hooah posted:

Does anyone else with a Pixel 3 have issues with their 5 GHz home wifi? Seemingly at random, my phone will claim the wifi doesn't have an internet connection, so it'll switch over to cellular data. No other device that's using the 5 GHz band seems to have this problem, and if I swap my phone to 2.4 GHz it's not a problem.

Try turning off Google private dns. It does weird things, especially with Ubiquiti. That worked for me, anyway

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, to add another battery life anecdote on the pile.

I've pretty much spent the day on the couch decompressing from this roller coaster of a week loving around on my P5 all day.

Currently sitting at 8h 30m of SoT with 25% battery remaining.

This pretty much eclipses any phone I've had in my possession from the OP8P, Note 10+, to the S20 Ultra.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mine is currently at 49%, SoT of 3hr 8mins. I rarely use the phone but I mostly used it in bed a lot then got lazy and didn't want to turn on my desktop, then just hosed around on it while listening to podcasts and watched a bunch of YouTube vids.

P5 is good.

It's up there with the iPad 8th gen. I've used Procreate for about 4 hours now non-stop and it's just at 97%. That and the P5 are my top two devices for battery life that I currently use.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

14 hours off the charger, about 3 hours SOT, feels nice to pull down the shade and see "1 day, 2 hr" next to the battery.

PS - When I got my Pixel 2, everyone was posting pictures of their cats taken with their new phones. Here's one for old times' sake:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Amadeo's Pixel 5 review for Ars Technica is out. Still my go-to Android reviewer. He's usually overly critical, but so am I when I'm shopping for a phone.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/pixel-5-review-google-spends-its-bill-of-materials-budget-unwisely/

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

Amadeo's Pixel 5 review for Ars Technica is out. Still my go-to Android reviewer. He's usually overly critical, but so am I when I'm shopping for a phone.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/pixel-5-review-google-spends-its-bill-of-materials-budget-unwisely/

I don't disagree with him on most points. But I personally don't see the value in 120hz screens, or processors that have tons of head room for doing...I'm not sure what exactly. The ultra premium market seems to be throwing specs at the phones for specs sake, but in my day-to-day life I am not benchmarking Crysis, and so far I have not had a hiccup or slowdown or lag or any kind of anomaly that would regularly plague my Pixel 3 due to shortage of RAM. It doesn't heat up when playing games, and Android Auto runs just fine. Everything is snappy and smooth and I don't ever think about whether or not my phone is working.

Yeah that MM wave price premium was a mistake. I don't know enough to complain about aluminum besides that iPhone bending a few years ago. And huge lol at anyone even mentioning a Pixel not having headphone jack or SD card slot. (also lol Google having hardware manufacturing QC issues.)

The only thing that truly sucks is the behind the screen speaker. Its complete garbage. It's like I went back in time 10 years.

BUT THE GOT drat BATTERY LIFE IS SO GOOD.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

Ron is always angry at phones and overly critical in illogical ways, and he's stupidly overly obsessed with benchmarks and spec sheets over real world usage. His reviews are worth about as much as Artem's, which isn't much. A lot of his points are dumb and don't even make sense, but hey you do you.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

And huge lol at anyone even mentioning a Pixel not having headphone jack or SD card slot.

This is mentioned every single year now in almost every review. It's like people hope if they mentioned it enough, they'll do it in the next Pixel.

FogHelmut posted:

(also lol Google having hardware manufacturing QC issues.)

This is too. :v: I don't know if anyone was surprised at the QC issue the P5 had but it seems that was just with the non-US version.

People are surprised that Google said it's not a big deal if it's happening though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, it's not hard to see why Google went for an aluminum build rather than plastic. Going fully plastic would have people expecting the phone to be $450 tops and there would be even further complaints about differentiation with the 'a' line.

I also think Ron is overselling what the aluminum build likely cost in R&D and implementation.

It does absolutely feel better in the hand than the build on the 4a. I have both of the devices and can compare them side by side. The P5 feels more solid.

The last phone that Ron actually liked was the OnePlus 7 Pro. I'm really wondering why he's reviewing mobile devices at all anymore because he seems to be perpetually cranky over them.

BTW, reviews are out on the Pro Max and so far nothing revolutionary about the new main camera system. It's slightly less eager to engage night mode due to having a larger sensor and there have been some circumstances where things seem like they are slightly sharper, but for the most part it hasn't been a revolutionary step forward.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ron is always angry at phones and overly critical in illogical ways, and he's stupidly overly obsessed with benchmarks and spec sheets over real world usage. His reviews are worth about as much as Artem's, which isn't much. A lot of his points are dumb and don't even make sense, but hey you do you.

Agreed, but the mmwave and under-screen speaker are enough to put me solidly in the 4a camp. If you're outside of the US and not paying the mmwave tax, it might be worth it. The 4a comes out looking just about perfect imo. I'm hoping to grab a couple on Black Friday.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Review has some good points and casts serious doubt on my potential purchase, at the same time anyone who holds macbooks and iOS in high esteem cannot be taken seriously

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

FogHelmut posted:

And huge lol at anyone even mentioning a Pixel not having headphone jack or SD card slot.

Not sure why this is a throw-away point? I'll grant you I don't think too many people who are in the market for a $700+ phone don't have a pair of BT earbuds at this point, but a SD card would be nice as gently caress for a lot of reasons, and some of the S20 phones still have them--it's not like they're impossible to include.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Battery chat again, but there is one thing you want to janitor a bit, and that's not to go outside in -20 weather to play pokemon go, then come home and immediately charge it. Your battery will hate you for doing that.

I'm going to pick up a P5, but it's out of stock right now on Google's store, any scuttlebutt on when it's likely to come back in stock? Or do I just need to :f5: ?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

Review has some good points and casts serious doubt on my potential purchase, at the same time anyone who holds macbooks and iOS in high esteem cannot be taken seriously

It doesn't, and people are already posting why you should not take his review seriously.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

DrDork posted:

Not sure why this is a throw-away point? I'll grant you I don't think too many people who are in the market for a $700+ phone don't have a pair of BT earbuds at this point, but a SD card would be nice as gently caress for a lot of reasons, and some of the S20 phones still have them--it's not like they're impossible to include.

Whys it needed when everything has 128gb now? I mean I have like 1400 songs, many of which are ripped in lossless format and I still only use half my space.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

codo27 posted:

Whys it needed when everything has 128gb now? I mean I have like 1400 songs, many of which are ripped in lossless format and I still only use half my space.

A mix of apps getting fat as gently caress (why the hell does a credit card app need to be >600MB? Games are often 3-5GB now, etc.), videos, and high-res photos, plus the normal cruft that Android builds up over time. Having 128GB is helpful, but I could easily see myself running through that over the course of a year or so. The other bit is simply being able to transfer stuff quickly and easily: plugging Android phones into Windows has always only sorta worked for me--for me it often runs into obnoxious issues (can only have one transfer going at a time, speeds are slow, etc.) that I've never had with a SD card. It's not exactly a deal breaker, but it'd be something nice that I'd probably use a couple of times a month on a phone that had it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

DrDork posted:

It's more that it's like complaining an iPhone doesn't have an SD card...obviously it doesn't. What's the last google phone that had an SD card?

The Nexus One lol

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

sourdough posted:

It's more that it's like complaining an iPhone doesn't have an SD card...obviously it doesn't. What's the last google phone that had an SD card?

And yet it's still something some people care about. I mean I get it, neither Apple nor Google are putting a SD card in anytime soon, because lol why would you when you can use its lack to up-sell people to a more expensive model and pocket that sweet, sweet cash?

Doesn't mean it's not worth noting, though, especially when there are other phones that do have them.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
sure glad i was upsold for the larger capacity pixel 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I have an S10 which has both a headphone jack and an SD card slot and I've never used either feature.

Also I've never had any reason to plug it into a PC.