Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
At least he got to see the end of the Trump era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
He beat the average life expectancy, and I'm glad he had a peaceful death. Looks like my tivo is going to stay full for a long time.
:smith:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/kenjennings/status/1325495244784168960?s=21

:smith:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I was pretty devastated when we lost James Randi recently. This is a thousand times worse.

He was one of the last unequivocally, genuinely good human beings left on this planet :smith:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This hits me harder than most celebrity deaths and I wasn't really expecting that. I guess it's because he never seemed like a celebrity to me, just sort of a constant presence throughout my life. I'll never stop being a Jeopardy fan as long as the format stays the same but I never knew the show pre-Trebek and it's really difficult to imagine it without him.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
drat it all. I knew this was coming eventually because pancreatic cancer is so serious, but somehow I thought we would have a better idea of the exact date.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/MaseDenver/status/1325495959288229890?s=20

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This loving sucks. He was a good guy.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1325498417481617408

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
We all knew this was coming, but saying goodbye is never easy. Rest in peace, Alex.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/SiloSara/status/1325492734971453441?s=20

:*(

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm crying man

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/CamBNewton/status/1325492462211768321

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
I was legitimately shocked.

I knew he was ill, but it seemed like his health was improving. Even with the severity of his illness.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
RIP to one of the all-time greats.

I don't think a celebrity death has actually upset me since Mr. Rogers. Do we know if he got to film his goodbye?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

His last show will air on Christmas. We'll find out then.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

God drat it :(.

Alex was one of the all time greats. I’ll miss him so much.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
RIP! What a man, what a career.

The word on the street is his last tapings were the week of Halloween and will air on Christmas. One last present

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

This hit me harder than I expected it to. RIP to one of the greats.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

RIP Alex
Literally cant even imagine this show without him.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jeopardy has always been a constant in life.

My Mom can't remember when she and Dad began tuning into the Trebek version, but probably from the start as she had been a fan of the Fleming show. It was a nightly ritual at 7:30. On the rare occasion we were driving elsewhere, we'd listen in the car as Channel 6's frequency equated to 87.7 on your FM dial.

No matter what changes there are in what you did or where you went. You might not eat the dinner table, but you better be in the room for family Jeopardy competition.

He really was another family member to me and apparently everyone. The CBS NFL halftime show just had a tribute a couple of minutes ago.

I got interested in trivia because I wanted to go on Jeopardy, rep my rural hometown and meet Trebek. I'm still quite proud of sweeping a Shakepeare category once in family competition because I had spent free moments at work reading Wikipedia.

I'll never get to meet Alex, but I saw so much of him, I want to think I kind of did.

Cheers to the ultimate arbiter of facts, a man bold enough to chase after a robber in his boxers (and tear his Achilles) and who accidentally once got blitzed out of his mind on pot brownies at a party.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

zakharov posted:

His last show will air on Christmas. We'll find out then.

I hope expect that his last show will just end like normal. If he was still taping shows on the 29th, I can only assume the final illness came on very quickly. And, honestly, that's the way I prefer it.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

TL posted:

I hope expect that his last show will just end like normal. If he was still taping shows on the 29th, I can only assume the final illness came on very quickly. And, honestly, that's the way I prefer it.

I’ve seen stuff on Twitter saying he might have made a 30 second speech right at the end, but I’m not sure.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
gently caress you, 2020. And cancer. gently caress you, too.

I grew up watching Alex on game shows in the 70s when he had that bitchin' mustache. His version of Classic Concentration plays on Buzzr. It was fun to see what hideous shirt or sweater he would be wearing.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I got to meet Alex a couple of times... never on Jeopardy, sadly. When the Canadian Geography Society ran out of funds for its geography competition, he stepped up with his own money, in addition to hosting the competitions.

He was such a mensch.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Mister Kingdom posted:

gently caress you, 2020. And cancer. gently caress you, too.

I grew up watching Alex on game shows in the 70s when he had that bitchin' mustache. His version of Classic Concentration plays on Buzzr. It was fun to see what hideous shirt or sweater he would be wearing.

He participated in a "Game Show Hosts" week in Card Sharks that shows up now and again. A half hour or Alex getting to be himself is a treat to watch.

Here's another time Alex was in his prime. Watch the co host's introduction carefully:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt9ZNqy-ZDM

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Jeopardy has always been a constant in life.

My Mom can't remember when she and Dad began tuning into the Trebek version, but probably from the start as she had been a fan of the Fleming show. It was a nightly ritual at 7:30. On the rare occasion we were driving elsewhere, we'd listen in the car as Channel 6's frequency equated to 87.7 on your FM dial.

No matter what changes there are in what you did or where you went. You might not eat the dinner table, but you better be in the room for family Jeopardy competition.

He really was another family member to me and apparently everyone. The CBS NFL halftime show just had a tribute a couple of minutes ago.

I got interested in trivia because I wanted to go on Jeopardy, rep my rural hometown and meet Trebek. I'm still quite proud of sweeping a Shakepeare category once in family competition because I had spent free moments at work reading Wikipedia.

I'll never get to meet Alex, but I saw so much of him, I want to think I kind of did.

Cheers to the ultimate arbiter of facts, a man bold enough to chase after a robber in his boxers (and tear his Achilles) and who accidentally once got blitzed out of his mind on pot brownies at a party.

same, Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune were staples in my house, absolutely gutted to hear the news so sudden (even if it's not a real surprise, obviously). Trebek will always be the iconic 'game show host' to me, charming but focused, and willing to zing the contestants when it's fun to do. Absolutely a major loss.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's not Jeopardy! without Trebek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc68HIH2z-0

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 8, 2020

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That really sucks. Jeopardy was one of the few things you could always count on in life. I know it's not going away without Trebek, but it won't be the same without him. He *was* Jeopardy.

You know how people talk about actors being born to play certain roles? Like Gandolfini being born to play Tony Soprano? Trebek was the Jeopardy host. There will be others, but there will never be one like him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm not crying YOU'RE crying.

https://twitter.com/JonErlichman/status/1325496032692736002?s=20

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

20/20 has a Trebek episode airing now.

They've already been showing photos of a young, sex-ay Trebek.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

20/20 has a Trebek episode airing now.

They've already been showing photos of a young, sex-ay Trebek.

And now they've gotten to his afro era. Ooof. :)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RIP. About as big a presence in my life as anyone else I didn't actually know. Lost for anything else to say.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/jessicantrell/status/1325499586891440132

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

You've probably read most, if not all of the stories before, but it's still hilarious to hear. Alex Trebek talks with Howard Stern about drugs.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I posted this in another forum already, but Jeopardy has really only been a thing for me in the past year or so as I don't think it's on TV otherwise here in the UK (selected episodes have made the rounds on Netflix). It's been something I've looked forward to during the lockdowns, it's kept my brain ticking and I've learned quite a bit. It sucks hearing about Trebek, he seemed like a friendly and genuinely curious guy who was a great fit for the show, and who was also very funny when it mattered. Here's hoping someone can carry his spirit on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1325521374300037120?s=20

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

This is the opening that will air with tonight's episode.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yp_YM4sPAgeszYRkvitSZthB5ClWlJ7v/view

Tears warning if you took this as hard as I did.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

zakharov posted:

Warning is appreciated. I'm have a feeling I'm going to have to let my virtual DVR fill up a bit before I can come back to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

zakharov posted:

This is the opening that will air with tonight's episode.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yp_YM4sPAgeszYRkvitSZthB5ClWlJ7v/view

For whatever reason, that part did not air on my CBS affiliate. I figured there was a tribute as it's not the first time Jeopardy has had a little addendum to a show that didn't air locally.

I did march down to the library today to check out his memoir. I'm currently through the sitting on a pony story.