Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Anyone know if the Hermes boon on special attack speed affects the tick speed on blitz disc, or if it just means the disc itself moves around faster but doesn't do more damage per second?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

teddust posted:

It's probably not optimal, but I've pretty much ignored cast so far just to minimize the number of things I need to think about. It's worked so far to heat level 9. So something to think about if you are struggling with juggling all your attacks.

Two of my three wins have come from stacking Demeter's cast to do damage while I run around hiding from attacks so I'm gonna have to disagree with this.

On an unrelated note, I need to remember that the spear's spin attack and the shield's bull rush are not their special and should stop getting boons that boost special with them in mind.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yesssss fuckin hydra gently caress yooooou

Now I have unlocked Sad Goth Musician and nothing can stop me!

Except Theseus. Theseus can stop me. But NOT FOR LONG.

I really like the twin fists with that magnetic special attack.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Still forgetting that the shield can block. Just want to get in and smack everything

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Honestly I ignore shield block 99% of the time and just try to smash faces

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

The instant you see him hold his arms up and/or when you see the spear start to move, haul rear end right up to him.
It'll have to be near frame perfect, as if you do it too late you will eat some damage from it.

Theres also a spear twirl and an audio cue when he starts the attack that telegraphs it. The trick to pulling it off consistently is dashing in (if youre keeping distance) and walking to position next to him, any sort of panic dashing will get you hit and youre better off panic dashing behind a pillar instead.

And also using the pillar is the more principled way to play anyways since forced overtime makes it way harder and EM4 makes it impossible

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Poseidon's call with a boon that started me with 45% god gauge was absurd

Yes, I love immediately using his call in every tunnel in Styx to clear basically every enemy

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I hate running into Tisiphone without deflect. She's the most difficult of the Furies normally, and without deflect I just always rush too hard and lose a life because I feel like I get punished for trying to slow-roll her.

I picked up the double-special, no-knockback Sword upgrade first thing, and then got the Poseidon special-knockback upgrade so I just spammed my way through past Elysium. Trying to manage status effects for bonuses now is interesting.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I hate Alecto the most. Too many traps :argh:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yeah Alecto is extremely aggressive and on FO2 becomes highly likely to knock off one DD.

Tisiphone I've never really had trouble with.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://twitter.com/go_lurk/status/1325093924843630592

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Tidal Dash meme run. Shame it was common, and that one fucker got a +1 pom from Pom Blossom! :argh:

It could have been 40 poms!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

:eyepop:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The joke is that these are the sort of boons a cow would make, which arent very effective

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

once you finish a run the mental block really does go away huh? it took me like 35 runs to clear and now i’ve done it 4 times in 5

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I think it’s all about learning the patterns and what boons work together. You can’t really luck into wins, plus you are continuing to unlock things that make you more powerful as well.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

that's a lol

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Heard some of y'all talkin' poo poo on my boy Gun 4: I have no idea why anyone would think it's in any way, shape, or form a bad weapon or frankly anything but an Auto-Win button :colbert:

If you're *really* having trouble murdering the balls out of everything with it, you might have missed: the Special orbs pulse damage and any secondary Boon effects. Got Ares' Special? Cool, anyone who walks near a ball gets Doom put on them (multiple times if you have that Boon too). Got Poseidon's? Cool, you've now turned the map into a pinball table that can't help but slam enemies repeatedly against walls/traps. Athena's will make you functionally immune to projectiles while simultaneously killing the crap out of everything. Pick up any hammers that increase the size/number/damage of your Specials and you'll never even have to touch Attack or Cast.

The orbs also do a ton of damage when they explode and the damage does not have to be done by you; once you start putting down more than one or two it just becomes an exploding murdertrain.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 9, 2020

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Kuros posted:

Tidal Dash meme run. Shame it was common, and that one fucker got a +1 pom from Pom Blossom! :argh:

It could have been 40 poms!

That's uhhhhh definitely the highest level I've seen a boon

Looks fun

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I'm at about 30 runs on regular and I still can't get past Hades himself, though I got him down to 40% with the Adamant rail, which was as close as I ever got.

This game is fun, but drat if it isn't hard. I hate Theseus.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

puppets freak me out posted:

That's uhhhhh definitely the highest level I've seen a boon

Looks fun

Yea, it was pretty fun! A quick breakdown:

15 heat for chances at Erebus pom rooms
Gilgamesh for the +2 dashes and auto dash.
Make sure you take the following from the Mirror: Dark Foresight, God's Legacy and Fated Authority.

Start with Poseidon keepsake to hopefully get dash right away. If you pull Hermes, hopefully you get more dashes. If you get the Hammer, it won't really matter what you take. If you don't get Tidal Dash, suicide asap and try again.

Once you have the dash, avoid all other gods except Aphrodite or Poseidon. You need one of her main 5 boons to have a chance at Sweet Nectar duo. During this time, save some rolls for Styx, but if you're forced into a god room that's not Poseidon or Aphrodite, reroll the room.

If you get the Duo before Asphodel, then great! Sell off any boons that can be pommed and take Pom Blossom. Otherwise switch to Aphrodite's keepsake for Asphodel. Then take all Poms that show up and keep pumping up the dash. You should have Pom Blossom on at Elysium is the latest.

As for Styx, it's just luck. Save money and hope for two 300 gold poms which will give you +6 levels, and use any rerolls if needed on the skull paths to get poms for another +6 levels. If there any rerolls left, use them on any god paths so you don't have Pom Blossom tick on anything else other than Tidal Dash. You want to go through all 5 paths since that gives more ticks on Pom Blossom.

You can take the following without worry since they can't take Poms: Anything Hermes, Ocean's Bounty, Sunken Treasure, Life Affirmation, Broken Resolve

Kuros fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 9, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
gently caress, assuming the last boss only had 2 phases I almost best it. Got incredible hammer upgrades on the rail, fire rate and seeker shots, and heavy investment in Zeus boons. And I got a pool that have me a death defiance in Styx after listing the all on the Elysium boss, I don't know if it'll ever come together like that again.

Can someone explain how boon levels and rarity works? Is a rare boon equivalent to the same boon at come at level 2? I'm not sure which option I should pick when I meet Eurydice, seems like I should always take 4 level ups?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

gently caress, assuming the last boss only had 2 phases I almost best it. Got incredible hammer upgrades on the rail, fire rate and seeker shots, and heavy investment in Zeus boons. And I got a pool that have me a death defiance in Styx after listing the all on the Elysium boss, I don't know if it'll ever come together like that again.

Can someone explain how boon levels and rarity works? Is a rare boon equivalent to the same boon at come at level 2? I'm not sure which option I should pick when I meet Eurydice, seems like I should always take 4 level ups?

Rarity is like having poms built into the boon that you're picking. Common tier will always be at a base and then with higher rarites, it will multiply that base by a percentage or add a set amount of extra benefit. Higher rarities are always better than a pom. Poms build on a boon with diminishing returns, taking more poms than 2-3 for a boon is typically not worth it unless if you're hyper focusing boons or memeing like I was.

For Eurydice, take the first option if you are hyper focusing a couple of boons. Take the third option otherwise, because guaranteeing that 3 boons will be rare or better is very powerful. The pom offering from her is the weakest of the bunch since it cannot apply multiple stacks to the same boon.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

BizarroAzrael posted:

The rarer a boon, the stronger its base power level, which can still be upgraded via pom levels. This means a higher ceiling for that Boon. A Cast might start at 8 damage at Common but move it to Epic and it does 12 damage per tick, which adds up very quickly.

Personally, 4 levels is the worst thing to take, since you can level up Boons one by one by selecting Pom rooms anyway, and successive level ups are incremental. Between the other two choices, I normally just go "Is my build complete? If yes, pick the upgrade 2 Boon rarities I already have. If no, pick the next three Boon choices have higher rarity."

Regarding final boss phases: You are correct. Keep at it!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Demeter's duration increase for cast seems broken with the crystal recharge mirror ability. You get a full second more for each pom. I managed to get two additional crystals (even one more would have been fine) and with just three poms was at 5 second duration. just filled the screen with death, I must have had usually 8 or 9 going. also had a 2.25 recharge from hermes. crazy run.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
This may have been posted before, but (official tutorial for Good Riddance on guitar by Darren Korb himself)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnq8dZYH_tg

/edit: Forgot this doesn't embed, added description.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 9, 2020

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
died with about 5 more hits on the final boss, would've been my first escape. Heartbreaking.

Was using the spear and had boons to increase its attack, holding attack to attack consecutively, and each attack created a triple-attack effect. Got through pretty much everything with very little difficulty until the final boss, and since it was my first time ever really tackling it I just couldn't make it through.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The Walrus posted:

Demeter's duration increase for cast seems broken with the crystal recharge mirror ability. You get a full second more for each pom. I managed to get two additional crystals (even one more would have been fine) and with just three poms was at 5 second duration. just filled the screen with death, I must have had usually 8 or 9 going. also had a 2.25 recharge from hermes. crazy run.

Yea any of the duration casts are amazing with the regen cast option. Another thing to note is that running regen cast changes the hermes legendary to be +50% dmg against things without a cast gem in them instead of the "auto return gems", which is clearly great for duration casts, but also can really crank up the room clearing ability of non-duration casts as well.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's cute how defensive Zagreus gets about Nyx absolutely being into Ares advances.

"Isn't he a bit... young for you?!" :allears:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

You know what makes me want to go all Bruce Banner on a bad day? Being in Styx, running a bunch of bs mirror options to get that 8 blood prophesy, and my controller starts disconnecting for about .5second every 5 or 6 seconds. loving move damnit! gently caress! Poisoned again!
gently caress THIS BULLSHIT
The ptsd probably doesnt help either :smith:

Fingers crossed, maybe complaining on the internet will fix my problems.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I started a run with a legendary fishing boon from posidon for 20%. Is that rare? The run ended up being amazing and I finished hades only taking like 100 damage total. I just kind of felt robbed at first.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It's first appearance is scripted after you buy the rod. After that, it's a Legendary boon. Forgot the requirements, though

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Color Printer posted:

It's first appearance is scripted after you buy the rod. After that, it's a Legendary boon. Forgot the requirements, though

Importantly, they updated it to have the Poseidon gift as a requirement, so you can start with the fishing boon if you’re lucky. Otherwise it’s the boons that increase room rewards or just straight up give extra rewards.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

B33rChiller posted:

You know what makes me want to go all Bruce Banner on a bad day? Being in Styx, running a bunch of bs mirror options to get that 8 blood prophesy, and my controller starts disconnecting for about .5second every 5 or 6 seconds. loving move damnit! gently caress! Poisoned again!
gently caress THIS BULLSHIT
The ptsd probably doesnt help either :smith:

Fingers crossed, maybe complaining on the internet will fix my problems.

Nope, so if you find yourself in Elysium, and rage quit by cutting the power, you start back at home with the same seed, and complaining on the internet only worked so far as the backup controller and receiver work fine, but the end boss ends up killing me with about 10% health left. With Zeus shield too. ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

Can anyone recommend me a game where I grow plants, and is about as challenging as townscaper so I can chill ?

VVVV Thanks!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 9, 2020

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Stardew valley

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

man EM4 + FO1 is really hard. I've gotten EM4 down and can beat it quite regularly, but turning on FO1 makes it seem impossible ... for now

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Doomsayer posted:

Heard some of y'all talkin' poo poo on my boy Gun 4: I have no idea why anyone would think it's in any way, shape, or form a bad weapon or frankly anything but an Auto-Win button :colbert:

If you're *really* having trouble murdering the balls out of everything with it, you might have missed: the Special orbs pulse damage and any secondary Boon effects. Got Ares' Special? Cool, anyone who walks near a ball gets Doom put on them (multiple times if you have that Boon too). Got Poseidon's? Cool, you've now turned the map into a pinball table that can't help but slam enemies repeatedly against walls/traps. Athena's will make you functionally immune to projectiles while simultaneously killing the crap out of everything. Pick up any hammers that increase the size/number/damage of your Specials and you'll never even have to touch Attack or Cast.

The orbs also do a ton of damage when they explode and the damage does not have to be done by you; once you start putting down more than one or two it just becomes an exploding murdertrain.

gun4 is startlingly good. not sure why you'd ever get the infinite ammo hammer though

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Glass of Milk posted:

This game is fun, but drat if it isn't hard. I hate Theseus.

You hate him, but you kind of love him too, right?

Theseus is a hero. He's great. If you forget, he'll tell you about it.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 9, 2020

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I just wish he'd stop being such a bad influence on my buddy Asterius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Made it to Hades for the first time on my ~15th run and thought I just barely got him, but then of course he had a second healthbar, loving lol :negative:. Was using the zeus chain lightning attack with the spear with flurry jab, so a lot of rooms even near the end I was able to just hold down attack and clear in seconds. I feel like I got very lucky with boons and don't expect to make it back to hades any time soon.