Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

kirbysuperstar posted:

The real tie that binds

GILBERT

gilbert will be a party member *nods sagely*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Endorph posted:

Gilbert wasn't in the crossbell arc. Bleublanc and Olivier are the only two characters to be in every arc, and Bleublanc is the only character to appear in every single game. So look forward to those two.

Wait. Bleublanc is in CS3? Where? I completely missed him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's a pretty out of the way thing, he's in disguise as a rando npc who gives a hidden sidequest. he drops a couple lines that make it pretty clear who it is though

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hilariously, Elliot actually would be easier to integrate into some point in the Calvard plot than, say, Machias. Because "touring musician happens to be in town" isn't a complete out there possibility as opposed to a fair number whose only excuse would be "on vacation." Not that I think Elliot really should be involved, just noting that he's still more reasonable than a lot of the cast.

Realistically, without knowing anything about the plot, the only previous protagonist cast members that have any even vague excuse to be in Calvard are bracers, Eight Leaves One Blade users, Taito users, Gralsritter members and Rixia. Depending on the plot you could potentially add certain notable governmental or industrial figures as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like there's a reason Richard and Anelace weren't in the Cold Steel games, yeah.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If you're not ready for more Anelace I'm going to quietly riot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shinjobi posted:

If you're not ready for more Anelace I'm going to quietly riot.

I require 50ccs of justice stat

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I wouldn't be surprised if they do the Hajimari multi-route style for their next game(s). It was pretty effective for focusing down the huge cast, They sorta teased out 3 post-game stories. It shouldn't be the last time we see Rean/Lloyd/Liberl crew they just wont be the leads anymore, heck id' say there is another massive sendoff game for everyone once they finish of this Trails series. Something really bad is supposed to happen within 2-3 years after Hajimari

Falcom is supposedly doing some event on December 20th so i'd imagine some more details on their lineup for 2021

Some Calvardian Ninja lady:

Up and coming female A-Bracer:

Adult/highschool Renne

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

"Never Abandon prior buildup" doesnt mean "Have every single Erebonian show up in Calvard" it means "Never actively exclude or pretend things didnt happen". For example, if Gaius and Thomas being big in Erebonia means they never get to do big Church things, we loving riot.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 9, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gaius and thomas were big in erebonia?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll believe the long term plots will pay off when Oroborus does something besides 'scheme' and 'die' and not a moment before.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

Thomas at least did something in CS3's final chapter. Gaius.... Ah, well

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdWZKb659K0

But Erebonia

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

kirbysuperstar posted:

Thomas at least did something in CS3's final chapter. Gaius.... Ah, well

I'll have you know Gaius is the best drat uber driver in all of Zemuria.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Well just wrapped CS1. Waiting for Geofront Azure next so I’ll have to hang on that cliff for a while. My wife is really mad that it turned into a Gundam game.

Probably my second favorite in the series so far behind SC. Voice acting does a lot for bringing the characters to life.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
The Hajimari foreshadowing for Calvard gives my jaded rear end some smidge of hope, honestly. The stuff about Verne's brand new orbment, the ninja princess, and Elaine seems pretty cool.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I'm about to cry over Osborne's voice being changed. Its not awful or especially unfitting, but I cant stop hearing Salum Barrows and all the other joke characters this dude voiced.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Rean's popularity with women is ridiculous, but it has always been ridiculous, and this includes those of the cast that are older than him.

I mean, Rean is a gary stu, for sure, but I can say as a 17 year old boy I would have been beside myself to have a 20 something hit on me

so rean I suppose is a bit wish fulfillment character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rean isnt a gary stu because he exists primarily for the unrealistic fantasies of

women.

i will never abandon this incredibly factually correct opinion, as it is literal observable truth. why do you think every game has a scene where rean is sad in a hot spring and a girl gets to hug him. every guy's greatest fantasy, having depression.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Actually Jusis gets the hot spring scene with him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

rean isnt a gary stu because he exists primarily for the unrealistic fantasies of

women.

i will never abandon this incredibly factually correct opinion, as it is literal observable truth. why do you think every game has a scene where rean is sad in a hot spring and a girl gets to hug him. every guy's greatest fantasy, having depression.

It is sort of weird you think 'having a pretty woman to comfort you when you are angsty' is not in fact part of the power fantasy of a harem anime story when that is provably untrue

Rean can appeal to women and also be a really blunt male power fantasy. It does not have to be one or the other.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
jusis truly shoulda been the default love interest for rean

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
nah it should have been Emma since she's the one most connected to the supernatural stuff

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

jusis truly shoulda been the default love interest for rean

It only makes sense. Shame for Machias though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It is sort of weird you think 'having a pretty woman to comfort you when you are angsty' is not in fact part of the power fantasy of a harem anime story when that is provably untrue

Rean can appeal to women and also be a really blunt male power fantasy. It does not have to be one or the other.
im joking

i do think he has actually been way more successful at the former than the latter tho. maybe im running in the wrong circles but i see very few guys the rean harem thing has actually worked on from a self-insert perspective, even checking places like gamefaqs or youtube comments.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
what if the player had the choice of a dozen sad boys in hot springs they could hug?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I agree that Crow should also have been an option.

Anyway, I guess I’ve somehow avoided most of the ‘Rean Harem’ stuff in CS1/2 but it seems to mostly be a thing in bonding events and bonding events are rather poorly implemented so I don’t think it’s much of a surprise it doesn’t exactly land even for the demographic it’s aiming for. Though on the flipside since bonding events feel like they’re sort of disconnected from the story it barely feels like much of a character trait.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’ve started to dread bonding events in 4 because almost every one with a female character ends with them confessing their love to Rean and him just being like “Okay, you ready to go back?” It’s so bad.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Act 1 part 3???
Yeah, everyone says that BEFORE they get hit with the big stick
:allears:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ethiser posted:

I’ve started to dread bonding events in 4 because almost every one with a female character ends with them confessing their love to Rean and him just being like “Okay, you ready to go back?” It’s so bad.

Just avoid bonding scenes that have a literal love heart on the "spend bonding points?" prompt. There's more than enough bonding events to avoid the lovey dovey ones.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tesseraction posted:

Just avoid bonding scenes that have a literal love heart on the "spend bonding points?" prompt. There's more than enough bonding events to avoid the lovey dovey ones.

It would be really nice if they either included an option to turn someone down or just didn't put character notes and costumes in bonding events. One or the other.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I agree that Crow should also have been an option.

Crow should've been the main option cause this whole guilt trip/chase has been poorly executed for a person you least spend time with. A lot of carry over from the 1st draft, probably.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

I need those character notes though and the juicy character info you get before the random declarations of love.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sure I'll just do this non-heart bonding scene instead with ... sigh... Gaius...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ethiser posted:

I need those character notes though and the juicy character info you get before the random declarations of love.

In that case just hit L1 once the cringe starts happening. Zooms through and you can use the D-pad-up log if you worry you missed something.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

BrightWing posted:

Act 1 part 3???
Yeah, everyone says that BEFORE they get hit with the big stick
:allears:

Hell yeah

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sakurazuka posted:

Sure I'll just do this non-heart bonding scene instead with ... sigh... Gaius...

???????

Why would you choose not to do Gaius events?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Gaius and Elliot have been Rean's boys from the jump and he should always be hanging out with them.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Rean would canonically run to Gaius at every chance he gets cuz Gaius is the only one that doesn't throw trauma at him, hit on him, or monologue his backstory, he just says yo bro look at my art/hawk/nord stuff/chill and listens to Rean's problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Tae posted:

Crow should've been the main option cause this whole guilt trip/chase has been poorly executed for a person you least spend time with. A lot of carry over from the 1st draft, probably.

Proto-Rean and Proto-Alisa as an item would've certainly made more sense.