Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
It's a real bummer because the main character is a salary man who worked for a poo poo company and is built like the Japanese uncle of the kids in those Russia/China gay communism posters. I was really hoping it was going to be adorably revolutionary and now I am sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

egg tats posted:

I liked that one because I'm a gigantic sucker for slimes, but yeah the advocacy for child labour kind of got to me
Not just the child labor, but that the orphans were the ones cleaning the toilet pits before and rather than hire him for his burgeoning business, he literally goes "well working there and learning the value of hard work will do them well later in life" and lets them resume doing ridiculous, dangerous labor instead

Really really telling

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I don't mind Isekai who's protagonist breezes through, but a combination of powerful protagonist and completely no regard for others around is a deal-breaker for me.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Not just the child labor, but that the orphans were the ones cleaning the toilet pits before and rather than hire him for his burgeoning business, he literally goes "well working there and learning the value of hard work will do them well later in life" and lets them resume doing ridiculous, dangerous labor instead

Really really telling

The thing that really gets me is that he finds out they've been doing a worse job than him (since, you know, he has slimes that do all the work, while they have to do it by hand), and instead of loaning some slimes to them or something, he loving takes their job again while going "Sorry!" in his head. Yeah, you feeling bad about it is totally going to make up for taking their paycheck that you don't even need.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Jayme posted:

The thing that really gets me is that he finds out they've been doing a worse job than him (since, you know, he has slimes that do all the work, while they have to do it by hand), and instead of loaning some slimes to them or something, he loving takes their job again while going "Sorry!" in his head. Yeah, you feeling bad about it is totally going to make up for taking their paycheck that you don't even need.
Truly weird that he can turn absolute garbage into resources, reversing the very nature of entropy itself, and he still feels he needs money. I know that's probably just the creeping influence of capitalism itself, but if you have, effectively, a perpetual energy machine, selling the proceeds from that device makes no sense.

Reminds me of that Villainess Isekai that is focused on improvements throughout her little fiefdom, transitioning the economy from a feudal one to a capitalist one. At least that had the premise that her only "cheat code" was simply being obscenely wealthy and a noble, though it sucks the dick of capitalism as much as possible in doing so.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 9, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
anyway, forget all that dumb bullshit. there's a new and very important chapter of tondemo skill! here

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Clarste posted:

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the "show the girls naked" quota it seems to have, especially combined with torture and threats of sexual violence.

On reflection, I do see your point on that. I guess I just overlooked a lot of it since I really, really enjoy seeing magic and mentalism stuff.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Shame to hear the slime one might get gross. I just watched the first two episodes and it is incredibly wholesome, so maybe they will alter it for the anime. It seems like it's targeted to young kids so far and it's absolutely adorable.

EDIT: Finished episode 4, it gets even more wholesome.

EDIT2: Finished Episode 6, still very wholesome.

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 11, 2020

Cainer
May 8, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

anyway, forget all that dumb bullshit. there's a new and very important chapter of tondemo skill! here

Thank you for this, was just wondering if there were any "beastmaster" esque Isekai and this really hit the spot. Though now I've read it all and want more.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Got some backstory on Theodore in the last chapter of The lady and the beast, shame about that childhood. Now comes unpacking how his estate has been handling itself over the past year.

Also this. That's probably going to need to be addressed as well.
Also calling it now, the soul of the past Theo did reincarnate into this timeline but it's a different dude. This won't be made clear until after Martina and wolf Theo actually start to fall in love. Expecting peak drama for this one.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 12, 2020

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Be aware in the latest 2 light novels he goes and buys some slaves. *But its ok cause its two whole families and some other people. But he is a good slave owner of course.

*all of the following is sarcasm.

I am not sure why the author did this as its not really needed in the story except to show how nice a guy the main character is.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:negative:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
god loving drat it.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

fuckin hell is nothing sacred

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Fuuuuuuuuck. Why? Why does this good series have to even do that? :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New observation diary of the self-proclaimed villainess

I think I like this series a lot more than bakarina as a whole, comparing them together from the manga chapters released. Bertia is a bumbling goober like Catarina but not quite as annoying about it and has some honestly great reasons to want to be the way she's trying to be, misguided as that may be.

Wibbleman posted:

Be aware in the latest 2 light novels he goes and buys some slaves. *But its ok cause its two whole families and some other people. But he is a good slave owner of course.

*all of the following is sarcasm.

I am not sure why the author did this as its not really needed in the story except to show how nice a guy the main character is.
Fucks sake

Guess I can naively hope they excise that from the manga

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

New observation diary of the self-proclaimed villainess

I think I like this series a lot more than bakarina as a whole, comparing them together from the manga chapters released. Bertia is a bumbling goober like Catarina but not quite as annoying about it and has some honestly great reasons to want to be the way she's trying to be, misguided as that may be.

I think both series are enjoyable, but Self-Proclaimed Villainess has definitely been pulling ahead by advancing its plot past the "oh no I must get the heroine together with the ML" stage. Plus it's definitely easier to emphasize with Bertia's "I must do these things so that everyone ends up happy" reasoning, even if she's too dense to realize that she has other options now.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
That's absolutely hilarious. I just re-read Tondemo Skill over the weekend, and was like "This is such a nice series. Just A+ good times of a dude, and a large wolf, and a slime"

2020 continues to be like "Something good existing? Nope!"

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What the hell rots the brains of mangakas like this

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Zero_Tactility posted:

That's absolutely hilarious. I just re-read Tondemo Skill over the weekend, and was like "This is such a nice series. Just A+ good times of a dude, and a large wolf, and a slime"

2020 continues to be like "Something good existing? Nope!"

Oh wait, it's that one? Noooooo.

That series was so nice. :(

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I saw cooking wolf/slime dude manga updated the other day and I was like, "Ehhh... getting kinda bored of that one actually. Unfollowed," and now I feel extremely smug about my decision.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Level 99 Villainess updated

One one hand, I'm torn. I love this manga and wish it came out more often.

But if it did then she'd be buying slaves or looking at orphans having to clean latrines piled up with feces like slag heaps and shrugging her shoulders at that being good character building work like Japanese Mike Rowe or something.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

Got some backstory on Theodore in the last chapter of The lady and the beast, shame about that childhood. Now comes unpacking how his estate has been handling itself over the past year.

Also this. That's probably going to need to be addressed as well.
Also calling it now, the soul of the past Theo did reincarnate into this timeline but it's a different dude. This won't be made clear until after Martina and wolf Theo actually start to fall in love. Expecting peak drama for this one.

lmfao this chapter
"why does it smell like dog well whatever lets get back to business where are my retainers"
"they dead"
"what"

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

RareAcumen posted:

Level 99 Villainess updated

One one hand, I'm torn. I love this manga and wish it came out more often.

But if it did then she'd be buying slaves or looking at orphans having to clean latrines piled up with feces like slag heaps and shrugging her shoulders at that being good character building work like Japanese Mike Rowe or something.

Rest easy; I've read the first volume of the novel (translated) and there's nothing like that so far.

In my experience the otome game/shoujo manga stories don't tend to have this sort of stuff in them. I've seen "great, our brave heroine invented capitalism, the perfect way to structure a society!" a few times, but that's way easier to ignore than slavery or child labor.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Artificer posted:

What the hell rots the brains of mangakas like this

That's the thing about writing derivative wish-fulfillment.

Turns out a lot of people have hosed up wishes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nrook posted:

Rest easy; I've read the first volume of the novel (translated) and there's nothing like that so far.

In my experience the otome game/shoujo manga stories don't tend to have this sort of stuff in them. I've seen "great, our brave heroine invented capitalism, the perfect way to structure a society!" a few times, but that's way easier to ignore than slavery or child labor.

Oh no, I wasn't saying I was scared that would happen- if anything, I think she's going to end up subjugating monsters based on her level and magic type inherently- I was just saying 'Boy this manga sure is neato, I wish I could read it more often! But if they sacrifice time to make it faster, they might start adding the bad isekai tropes like slaves and slave collars and slave magic so I'll just deal with one update a month like I am with the one update every two and a half for One Punch Man.'

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
They see slavery as some necessity of fantasy medieval story telling and, in some twisted way, imagine their self insert isekai protag as saving the day by buying slaves and being nice to them instead of using their stupid isekai powers to abolish slavery. Because the conceit of the setting overrides their modern sense of morality or some poo poo. It can be done reasonably, sometimes, depending on the capabilities of the protagonist but it's a fine line to tread.

Also sometimes nerds think bad things.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the main reason for the isekai slave trope is probably just because it's an easy way to introduce a character who has a reason to stick with the protagonist and also allows the writer to treat the protagonist as a saint simply for not whipping them or making them eat off the floor or whatever. Like, it's way easier to be good if you lower the standards of morality.

I don't think any of these writers give two shits about the purity of the setting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sword dad on the other hand is wonderfully frank about slavery

That being that it should be undone whenever found and slavers mercilessly slaughtered

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Captain Invictus posted:

Sword dad on the other hand is wonderfully frank about slavery

That being that it should be undone whenever found and slavers mercilessly slaughtered

Sword Dad and Skeleton Guy are both very firm on that and it owns, yeah.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Some manga ask the difficult questions of the modern age:

from : The Noble Girl With a Crush on a Plain and Studious Guy Finds the Arrogant Prince to Be a Nuisance

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

Oh, that one! I didn't realize it had been adapted! I read it as a novel, and it was pretty decent. More importantly though it's finished, and it's not particularly long either. It seems like it's one of those that updates monthly (I found it on Mangadex here), though, so it'll probably take 2-4 years for the manga...

Anyway, there's no actual Isekai in it, but it's dedicated to skewering that whole character of the self-centered prince who likes the FL because she's the only person he finds "interesting," which shows up a lot in Otome Isekai series as well. So it's relevant enough to this thread to post here I suppose.

Edit: Fair warning though, I recall the author being pretty good at making antagonists that you really want to see get punched in the face.

Arkanian fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 15, 2020

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Clarste posted:

I think the main reason for the isekai slave trope is probably just because it's an easy way to introduce a character who has a reason to stick with the protagonist and also allows the writer to treat the protagonist as a saint simply for not whipping them or making them eat off the floor or whatever. Like, it's way easier to be good if you lower the standards of morality.

I don't think any of these writers give two shits about the purity of the setting.

Manga [and Anime] has a serious self reference issue, where something will do a [thing] for [reason] and a bunch of people will look at [thing] and copy it and maybe smudge the [reason] so it only partly works but that cycle keep going like 100 more times and suddenly you get [thing] with no reference to [reason] just that all the stories they are basing it off did it!

Like RPG systems or Otome Stories that reference some phantom progenitor game which never actually existed.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

That's literally human culture in its entirety.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we missed like half the jokes in Shakespeare because they're Pop Culture references that no longer apply.
Like Bugs Bunny's Carrot, that is a reference to Clark Gable, which was in itself a reference to Groucho Marx's cigar chomping.

(in fact, Rabbits shouldn't eat carrots too often, they're like candies, too much sugar!)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
https://mangadex.org/title/29474/doctor-elise/chapters/

Oh no someone put together all my guilty pleasures; it's both a villainess do-over AND a villainess isekai AND a medical manga where she astounds everyone with her medical knowledge.

My main problem with it is that the level of technological advancement doesn't make a lot of sense--it jumps from medieval to victorian to suddenly they're riding modern trains, as if the world was determined not by the author's imagination but by the 3D assets they had on hand. That said, it ticks several of my favorite boxes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Argue posted:

My main problem with it is that the level of technological advancement doesn't make a lot of sense--it jumps from medieval to victorian to suddenly they're riding modern trains, as if the world was determined not by the author's imagination but by the 3D assets they had on hand. That said, it ticks several of my favorite boxes.

Would that have anything to do with it?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This other website might help then:

https://manganelo.com/manga/nv919289

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's licensed you could just read it there
https://www.tappytoon.com/comics/doctorelise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Argue posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/29474/doctor-elise/chapters/

Oh no someone put together all my guilty pleasures; it's both a villainess do-over AND a villainess isekai AND a medical manga where she astounds everyone with her medical knowledge.

From what I can tell it's based on a very specific era of English history (specifically the 1850s, with the Crimean War and the Broad Street cholera outbreak), except maybe the artist doesn't have a very clear idea of what that time period looked like.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 18, 2020