Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

A near complete set as in 1 of's? Because I don't see someone getting close to a full playset of everything without spending a lot of money.

Ignoring mythics I've gotten every single rare in Eldraine through Ikoria via booster packs earned by drafting and if M21 wasn't such garbage I'd have finished it too. On top of that I've got like 30 Rare/Mythic wildcards and 900+% vault that I haven't bothered opening and can usually craft multiple decks when a new set releases in the rare chance Standard is actually playable. I bought the $5 starter bundle when the game left beta and haven't spent a dime since.

If you're at all remotely competent at this game, do all your dailies, and enjoy drafting, it's real easy to go infinite in Arena.

Leperflesh posted:

Awesome, thanks, and thanks to the other goons who responded as well.

I don't care about the cosmetic poo poo. I've yet to spend gems and have about 2500 saved I think. I play about three times a week, mostly ranked standard Bo1, with the occasional quickdraft Bo1 tournament entered with gold. I bought packs with gold a bit before zendikar came out but mostly havent since. Ive also not been using my wildcards much. Mostly just saving stuff up while i learn the game as free-to-play with the idea that I'll get better value for all of it if I wait till I know better what is worth spending on and what isn't.

The season pass seems pretty affordable but it's useful to see how far i get and then maybe only pay after crossing a threshold of clear net positive value since it's uncertain how much I'll actually achieve each season as an infrequent and inconsistent player.

I always counted everything in the Mastery Pass via the lens of human drafts, and it ends up like this:

draft token = 1500 gems
4000 gold = 40% of a draft = 600 gems
1200 gems = 1200 gems

So that's 3300 gems of value before the 20 booster packs. (x5 ELD, x5 THB, x5 IKO, x5 M21). Even I value each booster at a little under 20 gems (since I have the rares of the set completed) it's worth the cost of 3400 gems. If you value boosters higher than that, that's even better for you, assuming you get all the xp to get the last reward. The Pass is available until the day before the next set standard set - Kaldheim - releases, which is late January I think. So you have until then to decide whether or not to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Can your really ignore mythics though? I thought we were talking about full sets here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

Can your really ignore mythics though? I thought we were talking about full sets here.

Yes? It’s not worth trying to 100% the mythics since that happens way after you get all the rares, and you’ll have mythic wildcards if you need to fill out a playset.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

You'll get enough mythic wildcards to craft the non-trash mythics.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lone Goat posted:

If you're at all remotely competent at this game, do all your dailies, and enjoy drafting, it's real easy to go infinite in Arena.

Lmao, classic Lone Goat

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
He's not wrong.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Remotely competent, I’ve found, is something I’m usually not when it comes to drafting. I’m sure it’s easy to “git gud” when it comes to drafting just like constructed, by just watching people who are good at it and picking up basic strats from them. That’s usually why I default to constructed though, because it’s the one I’ve done the most.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The one time I ever got Mastery was Ikoria, and I have a full set, minus like 1-2 mythics. And that was all from drafting.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i've gotten mythic in constructed a handful of times and draft a shitload without ever spending a dime on the game. the first few weeks of f2p are tough until you manage to grind out a competent mono red deck, but it's smooth sailing from there. before covid i would just log in every few days and do my dailies, which is enough to build 2-3 constructed decks per season without much trouble. now that going outside is illegal i've racked up a shitload of gems from drafting. not going to say it's easy to go infinite in limited but it's definitely possible.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

The Klowner posted:

Lmao, classic Lone Goat

Lone Goat is good at limited, and great at pinball

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Sickening posted:

A near complete set as in 1 of's? Because I don't see someone getting close to a full playset of everything without spending a lot of money.

I guess "near" is subjective. I get full playsets of most rares, and probably about 15-20% of full playsets of mythics I'd estimate. I get enough I can round out what I actually want to play with wildcards, and am able to slowly build up a bank of extra WCs.

In addition to the $50 preorder for packs I usually have gold for another 60-80 packs when a new standard set drops, too.

Lone Goat posted:

Also, this.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 9, 2020

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

I wish I could burn a higher rarity wildcard on a lower rarity card. I am drowining in mythic wildcards but rares are hard to come by.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just doing the dailies along with my 4 wins a day has allowed me to open 100+ packs for each set. You can build all of the top tier decks and still have 50+ wild cards to spare. Just fill out the playable rares/mythics after you are done cracking those packs.
I only really like drafting in person with friends, so this method probably won't work for some.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I honestly wasn't expecting my personal enthusiasm for the pass to generate this much discussion, but all this is pretty interesting!

On another note, what are people's feelings on bot drafts versus trad (non-premium) draft?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bot drafting is fine if you’ve never drafted before and want a little practice but if you’re even somewhat interested in improving then human drafting is the way to go.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Drafting in person always seemed pretty cool and I would've loved to do it in he before times, but that argument that always comes up about prizing is what stopped me.

Maybe it's worth having a go at it with arena, even though I like the gathering part of mtg

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Pyrolocutus posted:

I honestly wasn't expecting my personal enthusiasm for the pass to generate this much discussion, but all this is pretty interesting!

On another note, what are people's feelings on bot drafts versus trad (non-premium) draft?
Bot draft is good you're newer/unfamiliar with the cards and want to spend more than 45 seconds on each pick. The bot picks aren't as well balanced as human picks so in the long run you'll end up learning to pick around the bots and it won't have the same dynamic quality of human drafts - people ended up seeing the same archetypes more repeatedly with bot drafts. If you don't feel comfortable picking with a time limit it's totally fine to use bots but I'd encourage you to switch over to human once you have some familiarity with the cards.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Drafting in person always seemed pretty cool and I would've loved to do it in he before times, but that argument that always comes up about prizing is what stopped me.

Maybe it's worth having a go at it with arena, even though I like the gathering part of mtg

What argument? If a store does rare re-drafting just shame them on every social media outlet possible. I used to go to a store that did that, it was a couple guys in their 30s that would trash a bunch of high school freshmen to get free rares at every draft when sets came out. One time I beat That Guy and the salt there was INTENSE

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm pretty familiar with in-person drafting, just wondered if the buy-in made any appreciable difference. Guess I'm saving for the 10k drafts then.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Klowner posted:

Lmao, classic Lone Goat

He's extremely not wrong

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

A Moose posted:

What argument? If a store does rare re-drafting just shame them on every social media outlet possible. I used to go to a store that did that, it was a couple guys in their 30s that would trash a bunch of high school freshmen to get free rares at every draft when sets came out. One time I beat That Guy and the salt there was INTENSE

It’s crazy to me that a store would do that instead of prize packs. Seems like a huge pain with tons of potential for abuse/problems just to sell less product.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Bot drafting is fine if you’ve never drafted before and want a little practice but if you’re even somewhat interested in improving then human drafting is the way to go.

I think that for the casual player, the best reason to shift to human drafting is that it makes the drafting environment more dynamic. The bots tend to have a card or set of cards they misvalue, such that bot drafts become relatively "solved" - you force the thing they're bad at. Even if you don't realize what it is, you will tend to see the same sort of environment a lot more. Player drafts, on the other hand, shift in how they value cards, and so the drafting experience is more varied and thus stays fresh for longer. It also introduces additional skill elements to keep it interesting.

That you won't get better is definitely a point to consider, but if you're asking about bot drafts you may not care enough about your skill level to force the double-cost drafts just to get better :v:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LeafHouse posted:

It’s crazy to me that a store would do that instead of prize packs. Seems like a huge pain with tons of potential for abuse/problems just to sell less product.
In theory it's "cheaper" because they don't have to provide prize support, letting you charge less for a draft and keep more of the entry fee as profit. In actuality it's terrible for everyone because now you have to watch everyone like a loving hawk to make sure they don't hotswap any sweet cards they got, try to keep people in the store who drafted good cards but lost for whatever reason, and just in general have to behave in a much shadier fashion to make sure that the 1-3 people who have a boner for scamming people out of their cards via your business get to scam the other 90%+ people out of ever wanting to play anything there again.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Moose posted:

I didn't even know this was a thing and invited one of my friends out who drafted at a local FNM. Since I always play constructed and every other draft I had ever done let you keep what you drafted I told him that's how it worked and then when I went back the next week they told me he was banned from the store because he kept his draft.
I ended up paying his "tab" so he could come back.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Don't really want to start an argument about it (good for quality of decks blah blah blah) but I've refused to draft at my lgs because that's how they run. Drafting seems like a lot of fun though, it's a shame. No other lgs in the area either.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

When we used to draft in-person at the LGS, we'd do it even without prize support, and the winner of the draft got to keep all the cards opened by everybody, kind of like a poker game. It really cut down on the rare-drafting aspect since you couldn't keep the cards anyway unless you built the best deck.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That's always the argument and one that I don't think either side really cares to budge from.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Don't really want to start an argument about it (good for quality of decks blah blah blah) but I've refused to draft at my lgs because that's how they run. Drafting seems like a lot of fun though, it's a shame. No other lgs in the area either.

When I was a kid in the early 2000s this was the only way I knew to draft, and the people at the store made it really fun. The draft of the rares and foils at the end was always really fun with the group.

A tight-knit LGS community can make this method doable, and I actually prefer it if the store's credit for pack is bad.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Infinite Karma posted:

When we used to draft in-person at the LGS, we'd do it even without prize support, and the winner of the draft got to keep all the cards opened by everybody, kind of like a poker game. It really cut down on the rare-drafting aspect since you couldn't keep the cards anyway unless you built the best deck.

I feel like that would really drive away people who aren't as all-in on drafting as a favored format.

I don't really care much for drafting, but I'll sometimes do it as a more fun way to open packs-- but I've never been great at it (and will shamelessly keep value cards I open), and if I wasn't able to keep the cards I bought and they all went to someone else, I wouldn't do it, ever.

Just do prize support like a good store, jeez. The packs are already paid for by the draft itself, it shouldn't be on the players to be forced to reward the winner.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm pretty familiar with in-person drafting, just wondered if the buy-in made any appreciable difference. Guess I'm saving for the 10k drafts then.

Bo3 drafts have more top-heavy payouts, so they're good for high-skill players but if you're going to 0-3 and 1-2 consistently then you throw away a lot of gems. Bo1 drafts pay out better for poorer records but the overall rake is higher and ranked pairings aim to give everyone a 50% winrate. So no matter how good you are you're still
going to bleed gems.

Magic is entertainment though so you should just play whatever format you'll enjoy the most.

ilmucche posted:

This is probably an obvious statement but people at irl events are a lot more friendly and aren't complaining and arguing constantly like this thread may lead you to believe. All the stores around me do redrafts, i personally think it's stupid but it doesn't cause drama or anything as long as everything is communicated.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Infinite Karma posted:

This is the greediest poo poo I’ve ever heard

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
why the hell would anyone want to keep drafting with other people under those rules

rare re-drafting is bad enough

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'd do that. High stakes is fun! A terrible approach to regular lgs drafting though

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You could probably make it work as a weekly poker night among buddies who knew they could borrow whatever from each other as needed, anyway.

At a store you'd just never fire a match at anything other than X-0, because people would just quietly disappear after a loss.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I’d try drafting that way at least once, then probably not ever again, mainly due to my aforementioned bad limited skills. I could see the appeal of playing Magic that has more poker stakes.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Having seen how a lot of poker players behave at the table, I'd try to keep that poo poo as far away as possible from a card game that children are allowed to play.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

A Moose posted:

Is that where they make everyone drafting hand over the decks at the end and they pick out the rares to divvy up among the winners, because the card shop I went to as a kid did that, and it was always the same fuckers dominating the drafts every time. I managed to place high enough once during an Urza Saga draft to take a few rares and took a gaea's cradle before the grognard guy who would snipe stuff to sell got it, and yeah, the salt was real

Eventually the store switched to more expensive entry fee drafts and just gave prize packs of a booster box for the winner, half a box for second place, and 12 packs for third. That worked out much better since people would sometimes get into physical altercations due to the rare re-drafting and people trying shady poo poo/sneaking out

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Hate to interrupt rare redrafting chat (no I don't) but I've been having a lot of fun with this brew I've made for historic. Folds pretty hard to thoughtsieze effects but otherwise I've had great results, got to plat pretty easy but stalled out there because the game has decided I only get to fight black/white discard/wrath decks now. It's always a treat playing Tetsuko and sliding in under all the dumb goblin/elf/white lifegain decks for a stolen victory.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

house of the dad posted:

Having seen how a lot of poker players behave at the table, I'd try to keep that poo poo as far away as possible from a card game that children are allowed to play.

What lol?

IMO you’re playing at an FNM with normies and casuals don’t rate redraft. If you’re playing with friends/people who want higher stakes, rare redraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I took Day9's Big Red deck and modified it a decent amount(since I couldn't get all the cards required for it), and I'm currently halfway through Diamond in Arena with it. It's really fun and I wish I could have kept the Brash Taunters in, but they're way too situational, the few times I've gotten them out they get removed somehow anyway, and ultimately kept interrupting the flow of the deck. I think I actually have most of the cards in the deck in physical form, so I'm going to see if I can make it for real.

if you're able to give the deck a try, I hope you enjoy it, I've been having a blast with it.