Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Made it to Hades for the first time on my ~15th run and thought I just barely got him, but then of course he had a second healthbar, loving lol :negative:. Was using the zeus chain lightning attack with the spear with flurry jab, so a lot of rooms even near the end I was able to just hold down attack and clear in seconds. I feel like I got very lucky with boons and don't expect to make it back to hades any time soon.

It’s hard to believe but there are a ton of builds that just delete encounters, it’s why the game tries shoving different options in your face with the Prophecies. Plus you can always try to replicate it by wearing Zeus’ keepsake with the spear again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Finally, unlocked Arthur, played around with it with Skelly and the first few chambers and didn't understand why anyone liked this slow, awkward piece of crap. Wrote it off as a loss.

By the time I reached the big man I had an epic Chaos backstab boon, the sword backstab hammer and epic Aphrodite attack and as I dash-attacked Hades for 400 a pop I finally understood happiness.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Man, I one shot Dear Old Dad the first time (artemis call ftw), and now I bounce off of him...at least I can farm.
What are the best boost for low-heat farming?
What's the best thing to spend diamonds on?
And where do I get the 75 or so ambrosias I still need? Barely get 1 per run.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Died to Hades 7 times in a row, had trash damage each time. I think that's enough losing for today.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Finally, unlocked Arthur, played around with it with Skelly and the first few chambers and didn't understand why anyone liked this slow, awkward piece of crap. Wrote it off as a loss.

By the time I reached the big man I had an epic Chaos backstab boon, the sword backstab hammer and epic Aphrodite attack and as I dash-attacked Hades for 400 a pop I finally understood happiness.

yeah man, just put some artemis on attack and it's a pleasure to use. people also underestimate the range on that thing, if you get used to the moveset and line up enemies correctly, you can take out 4 or 5 enemies with this bad boy *spits on ground*

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

with excalibur, it's fun to put athena on attack and just reflect any projectile that even thinks about coming near you. not as OP damage as some other options, but very safe

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
On run #99, I finally unlocked the hidden fist aspect. Run #100, I won with them.

Probably the most damage per second output I've ever achieved in the game thus far (Chiron bow comes very close, maybe higher). So much fun with the 4 dashes.

I genuinely love all the hidden weapon aspects. They change up the gameplay in such smart, interesting ways.

Game rules

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Funso Banjo posted:

Theseus is a hero. He's great. If you forget, he'll tell you about it.

I always go out of my way to make sure he dies first.

Always.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

what's the best way to play with the hidden fist aspect? i could never really get into it

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Mox Hombre posted:

what's the best way to play with the hidden fist aspect? i could never really get into it

I got into a rhythm of dashing around --> Dash Upper when near enemy --> spend a second or two or sometimes three slashing --> go back to dashing around.

The dash keeps triggering when you hold the B button down, so it becomes less of a 'dash' in the sense of something you use to avoid damage and more like a rapid mobility tool.

I managed to get a Chaos boon that pumped +atk% and the hammer that adds +5 base dmg to each consecutive attack, and I put Hangover on attack as well. Eventually I got Weak on special so I had Privileged Status triggering as well.

Between the rapid dashing, the stronger attack, and the "doom" effect of Maim, I was putting out surreal damage numbers.

Never staying in one place for more than a second or two at a time seems like the recipe for success with the hidden fists. Oh yeah, I had Athena dash (naturally) so dashing around constantly was even more effective.

minya fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 9, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RandomFerret posted:

I just wish he'd stop being such a bad influence on my buddy Asterius

Still sad that it doesn't eventually change from "Theseus" and "The Minotaur" to "Some Human Guy" and "Asterius"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

This was an incredibly fun run. Finally did tiny vermin and spent all of the last half of the game dashing around like an idiot.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

minya posted:

Never staying in one place for more than a second or two at a time seems like the recipe for success

minya
Sep 7, 2004

lol yeah I guess that's kind of the whole game in a nutshell isn't it?

Those 4 dashes really do help you lean into that though

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Beat it for the first time, although I feel insecure people are doing it in 20 runs, I hadn't even nicknamed the hydra by then! I took about 80. Was a pretty mishmash build, I think it was down to playing conservatively with the Chaos Shield and getting the Charged Shot upgrade. I was a little disappointed I was able to stand back to a wall and black everything and zapping him in between.

I actually also got a heat 1 completion in as well, again with Chaos Shield and charge shot. Looks like I can get a decent amount of Titan Blood and open up the upgrades now, hit a real wall fighting to beat it the first time.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I didnt intend this to be a speedrun but this combo was disgusting. Not shown is Zeus aid and 30% starting call so I destroyed Styx once I realized what I had

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

So I took the spear hammer that causes you spin dash to strike 3 times but your dash distance is decreased. I could not get used to it and I realized how much I rely on spamming dash. I limped all the way to 10% health on Dad and then he kills me because I can't dash out of the way of stuff, even with +1 dash.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
One thing I forgot to mention about my clears was that I just started using the Butterfly keepsake instead of a god's one to kick-start a build focussing one one. Us it generally held that getting +20% damage from that is better than being able to build around a specified god's mechanics reliably?

Speaking of, does taking a boon from a particular god increase the likelihood of a boon from them being offered again? Or is that just confirmation bias?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

BizarroAzrael posted:

One thing I forgot to mention about my clears was that I just started using the Butterfly keepsake instead of a god's one to kick-start a build focussing one one. Us it generally held that getting +20% damage from that is better than being able to build around a specified god's mechanics reliably?

Speaking of, does taking a boon from a particular god increase the likelihood of a boon from them being offered again? Or is that just confirmation bias?

You soft-cap at 4 different gods per run, and then you can cheese that with keepsakes to get 5
And Hermes is his own thing on top of that

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BizarroAzrael posted:

Each run gives you Hermes + four random Olympians that will show up. If you want any other gods for that run that aren't in the pool, you can equip their keepsake which forces them to spawn at least once.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

This is my dumbest win so far. Just dropped all three of my casts, stood on the opposite side of the enemy, and spammed attack to win. Cursed Slash is dumb if you get enough health.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

minya posted:

lol yeah I guess that's kind of the whole game in a nutshell isn't it?

Those 4 dashes really do help you lean into that though

Oh the absolute turning point of me succeeding at this game was realising that it just worked way better if you just assumed that dash-strike and dash-special were the main way of doing things and never pressing the buttons alone.

ABD. Always Be Dashing.

(I am terrible at bow now though)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sydin posted:

Each run gives you Hermes + four random Olympians that will show up. If you want any other gods for that run that aren't in the pool, you can equip their keepsake which forces them to spawn at least once.
I didn't think the pool of four was set until you actually took four different ones.

Like, if Poseidon isn't in the randomly determined pool at the very beginning of the run, I'll never see him unless I use his keepsake?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I believe Styx can break that rule sometimes, but I'm not sure how all that works

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The true way to play the hidden fist aspect is to get Poseidon dash, and stack as many knockback and Zeus duo/lightning boons as you can find on it, then get the Hermes boon for more dashes.

Win by never using attack, cast or special. You can even ignore hammers, because you won't be swinging anyway. The weapon just tricks you into thinking it's about punches.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The true way to play the hidden fist aspect is to get Poseidon dash, and stack as many knockback and Zeus duo/lightning boons as you can find on it, then get the Hermes boon for more dashes.

Win by never using attack, cast or special. You can even ignore hammers, because you won't be swinging anyway. The weapon just tricks you into thinking it's about punches.

Then just swear your way through EM2 Lemmy.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Are trinkets the only thing that influences the chance that a particular god shows up to offer you a boon?

Up to now I did not give a nectar to ares and poseidon, and I swear I had around 10 tries where they just did not show up in the roster. Is it all just random?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

As far as I can tell, it's 100% random. Sometimes you just Get Wrong Gods.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

9 wins in the bucket, definitely chose the wrong heat, going into Hades with a pretty good kit but 0 defiance and like 20 health

What a pleasant surprise you've prepared for me for my 10th win, Lord Hades

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Is there any special trick to getting the 'kill Extreme Measures Theseus, then seek out Poseidon' prophecy? Do I need to specifically seek out Poseidon by using his trinket?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

IIRC he randomly showed up at some point after I had beaten them in a run, but it wasn't the same run.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Attempt 39, gently caress you dad. I got Demeter's Cast straight off and then lucked into some complimenting boons.

Really interested to see how things open up from here.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Chairchucker posted:

Is there any special trick to getting the 'kill Extreme Measures Theseus, then seek out Poseidon' prophecy? Do I need to specifically seek out Poseidon by using his trinket?

Nah you beat em3seus and eventually it'll trigger when you run into poseidon on a later run

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Finally got the epilogue, I think I got some bad RNG here but whatever, it was worth it. Game good.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ilmucche posted:

Nah you beat em3seus and eventually it'll trigger when you run into poseidon on a later run

Ohhhhh, it has to be EM3?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

Ohhhhh, it has to be EM3?

Extreme measures only affects one boss per level, so yes he's not extreme measures Theseus if it's not level 3.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Right, there's my problem then I guess.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Asterius and the annoying guy change when you hit em3. You'll definitely notice the difference lol

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
They are still pretty manageable, however extreme mesures 4 is pretty wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

1 and 2 are nearly gimmes by the time you're looking at raising Heat; 3 is arguably more difficult (but IMO not by that much); and 4 is a loving ball-buster