Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

GreenNight posted:

85 inches is a pretty good bedroom tv.

For a peasant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
That sounds ok but buying an expensive TV that's not OLED, is really fuckin' weird imo

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I understand it in principle, since you can get a way bigger LCD for the price of an OLED, but I imagine people going that route probably haven't seen in person how big the quality difference truly is.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Taima posted:

That sounds ok but buying an expensive TV that's not OLED, is really fuckin' weird imo

There’s a very big price differential between a very good 75” Sony for $1600 and $3500 for a 77” OLED

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 9, 2020

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Idk I picked up that Sony 65” at Costco for $950 ~10 days ago and it’s insanely nice.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RCarr posted:

For a peasant

Projector in a bedroom is the way to go.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

movax posted:

It's infuriating that they saved maybe $2 in BOM cost by putting a loving 10/100 PHY in the CX when the SoC almost loving certainly has a gigabit MAC in it. You were probably talking about WiFi, which I never really had any issues with (granted the AP was like 5 feet away), but now that I finished running Ethernet, plugged the TV and my ATV 4K in so I never have to think about bandwidth again.

FYI the ATV4k is also 10/100mb, not gigabit.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

TheWevel posted:

It's definitely Gigabit. IIRC it's a Broadcom NIC connected to the SoC via PCIe, and Speedtest regularly pulls down 900Mb/s or so.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
aaah the LG CX 55" is on offer at £1299, (everywhere else is doing £1399) but they only have 8 left. I wonder if should wait for Black Friday (27th)

[edit] nm all sold out :/

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 9, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TheWevel posted:

The ethernet port is (I think), but the Wi-Fi is much better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The WiFi is better than the Ethernet port? It’s definitely gigabit and speed test for me gives around 950mbit/sec with no latency. I know ac band is theoretically faster but eh I think I’ll stick to wired in this case.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I haven't done any testing but I think I remember people complaining about it a long time ago, that the ethernet is 100/10 but the WiFi can handle gigabit?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Well folks, I was wrong.

It is gigabit according to the Apple specs page. I could have sworn it was 10/100 even on the 4K...I have 2 of them and I distinctly remember looking into the Ethernet ports being only 100mb. Am I going insane?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh poo poo, I was also under the impression it was a slower Ethernet port for some reason. Oh well!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Usually a safe bet any apple product would be needlessly inferior as far as specs go. You just got unlucky

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Target has this year's TCL 4-series at 65" for $229. I know they updated the 4/5/6 series this year and changed things up; any experiences with the 2020 4 series?

I'm not much on 4K/HDR content; 99% of what we watch is plain 1080p content on Plex, and I have a normal PS4, not a Pro. Is it worth it to jump to the 5-series, or is the QLED and local dimming zones mostly not going to affect my non-4K-loving rear end?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Target has this year's TCL 4-series at 65" for $229. I know they updated the 4/5/6 series this year and changed things up; any experiences with the 2020 4 series?

I'm not much on 4K/HDR content; 99% of what we watch is plain 1080p content on Plex, and I have a normal PS4, not a Pro. Is it worth it to jump to the 5-series, or is the QLED and local dimming zones mostly not going to affect my non-4K-loving rear end?

With the 4 series you'll have more QC issues, viewing angle issues, contrast issues etc. They basically basement/bedroom/garage level TVS.

That said... 65" for $229 is just drat near "buy and try" territory so I'd say just get it and see how you like it!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm a little torn because my current living room tv is a weird combination of old as poo poo but still really nice. It's a 50" Panasonic Viera plasma from like 2007, but one of the really high-end ones so it does still have a great picture. It's just too small for the new living room; the couch is a good 12 feet back from the TV now instead of like 4-5 feet. (not to mention I'd like a TV that uses less power than a microwave :v:)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm a little torn because my current living room tv is a weird combination of old as poo poo but still really nice. It's a 50" Panasonic Viera plasma from like 2007, but one of the really high-end ones so it does still have a great picture. It's just too small for the new living room; the couch is a good 12 feet back from the TV now instead of like 4-5 feet. (not to mention I'd like a TV that uses less power than a microwave :v:)

Get an OLED

movax
Aug 30, 2008

TheWevel posted:

Well folks, I was wrong.

It is gigabit according to the Apple specs page. I could have sworn it was 10/100 even on the 4K...I have 2 of them and I distinctly remember looking into the Ethernet ports being only 100mb. Am I going insane?

If you have a bad cable / weird switch configuration, it might be linking up only at 100 Mbit.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

CX 77" in your future.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Get an OLED

That's quite a jump from $229 for a 65" lol

e: is the point here that my old plasma is nice enough that anything less than an OLED will be a significant downgrade? I know it looks nice but I didn't realize it was that nice.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That's quite a jump from $229 for a 65" lol

e: is the point here that my old plasma is nice enough that anything less than an OLED will be a significant downgrade? I know it looks nice but I didn't realize it was that nice.

You'll be fine. At worst you have a new bedroom TV and something you can pawn off on a friend.

It's a budget model and may not look 100% as good as your old plasma but you'll appreciate the extra size and know what to look for when you're ready to splash a little more cash

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hi everyone,

55" for 899.00

65" for 1,499.00

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

or is the QLED and local dimming zones mostly not going to affect my non-4K-loving rear end?

QLED is just marketing garbage. There are LCD TVs of varying qualities, then there is OLED

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

codo27 posted:

QLED is just marketing garbage. There are LCD TVs of varying qualities, then there is OLED

The name is marketing garbage, but it is an actual technology used by several manufacturers to increase color gamut for LCDs. It produces a more vibrant color.

It's not OLED, or comparable... but it *is* a thing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Hi everyone,

55" for 899.00

65" for 1,499.00

Hmmm

Any comparisons vs the LG yet? That 65" is tempting.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
TV's having 32 local dimming zones never made sense to me. One 4K TV I saw included a 55" 1080p screen inside and used that for it's local dimming which meant 2,073,600 local dimming zones and I can't help wonder why no one else does that?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mattfl posted:

Hmmm

Any comparisons vs the LG yet? That 65" is tempting.

rtings has you covered

Lg's panels are brighter, better color accuracy. Vizio has better viewing angles

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FilthyImp posted:

rtings has you covered

Lg's panels are brighter, better color accuracy. Vizio has better viewing angles

It blows my mind how something could have better viewing angles than an LG OLED.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, it's the same panel. I think it all comes down to the coatings on the outer glass because you see differences in reflection handling too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ak Gara posted:

TV's having 32 local dimming zones never made sense to me. One 4K TV I saw included a 55" 1080p screen inside and used that for it's local dimming which meant 2,073,600 local dimming zones and I can't help wonder why no one else does that?

Dual layer panels are a thing, but I'm guessing it's more expensive, needs a stronger backlight, and more QC issues than normal or everyone would be doing it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

rtings has you covered

Don't forget the Sony which is better for movies.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Hi everyone,

55" for 899.00

65" for 1,499.00

4 HDMI inputs... I can't tell if they are all 2.1 though.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

The Grey posted:

4 HDMI inputs... I can't tell if they are all 2.1 though.

Only 2 are 2.1. The ones facing down HDMI 1 is 2.0 and the eARC port, 2 and 3 are 2.1. The side HDMI is also 2.0

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Before I pull the trigger on the CX65 i've read a few varying things about how its not worth it (despite the threads insistence, which i trust). I have a very bright living room during daylight hours where the CX will live, will it be fine in that type of lighting?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Iron Lung posted:

Before I pull the trigger on the CX65 i've read a few varying things about how its not worth it (despite the threads insistence, which i trust). I have a very bright living room during daylight hours where the CX will live, will it be fine in that type of lighting?

Yes. I have one in my main living room and one in my basement, it's amazing in both settings.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bushido Brown posted:

I still love my C9 but I'm not thrilled with the news that the VRR issues are not fixable.

Seems like a solid implementation of anything other than 4K@120 will be a ways off.

I just heard about this after seeing your post.

Is there concrete information on what this means? Or will we get more info when people start getting their X Boxes and PS5 to test out on CX's?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Question IRL posted:

I just heard about this after seeing your post.

Is there concrete information on what this means? Or will we get more info when people start getting their X Boxes and PS5 to test out on CX's?
So it looks like the panels (not electronics, this is a deeper problem than a new circuit board or a firmware patch) have a gamma problem when switching resolutions under 40hz and above 120hz.

The oleds basically get overcharged and don't carry correct picture info.

So yeah, we're about to get a lot of in-world examination of what the cutting edge offers when you have basically nothing to test it with.

Sucks that it's not as futureproof as I imagined.

E:: there's a few videos about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfl3UdWZIUQ

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 10, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is there a dedicated thread for home theatre/audio/speaker recommendations and stuff? My setup is from like 2008 and could use a refresh, but I have no idea what the current state of technology is and am a big dumb baby who needs someone to hold my hand and tell me what to buy. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Xenomrph posted:

Is there a dedicated thread for home theatre/audio/speaker recommendations and stuff? My setup is from like 2008 and could use a refresh, but I have no idea what the current state of technology is and am a big dumb baby who needs someone to hold my hand and tell me what to buy. :saddowns:

Try this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384469