Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

Between imperator and ck3 they really need to hire a guy just for the ui. They're somehow regressing and I don't get it

???

Ck3 has a better UI than any other paradox game and its not close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Your crazy man. The outliner is nearly useless, find titles isn't bound to f, the side screen is huge blocks the map and isn't as informationaly as dense as ckII's. The character traits didn't get color coded until a patch, and they don't have the simple virtues vices concept to make at a glance reading easier like 2. There less map modes and they don't include a control map mode. The notification setting don't give nearly as many options so I keep missing marriage and guardianship opportunities. Everything is way too big. It's like windows 8, except the personal traits and such which are too small and hard to read. It doesn't even have the simple border outlines to tell at a glance if someone's a duke, count, king, or emperor, or their gov type.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i mean it's like ck3 ui is a nice sandwich that's pretty solid could be better

and ck2's ui was like eating a big poo poo but hitting f let you find a title

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finding a title quickly is pretty nice in a game about dynasty's

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

Your crazy man. The outliner is nearly useless, find titles isn't bound to f, the side screen is huge blocks the map and isn't as informationaly as dense as ckII's. The character traits didn't get color coded until a patch, and they don't have the simple virtues vices concept to make at a glance reading easier like 2. There less map modes and they don't include a control map mode. The notification setting don't give nearly as many options so I keep missing marriage and guardianship opportunities. Everything is way too big. It's like windows 8, except the personal traits and such which are too small and hard to read. It doesn't even have the simple border outlines to tell at a glance if someone's a duke, count, king, or emperor, or their gov type.

Virtues have a green glowing border, vices have a red glowing border, character trait color coding is barely an issue and its in now anyway. I have never once missed a marriage or guardianship thanks to the suggestion box at the top of the screen and whether someone is a count, duke, king or emperor can be determined by the kind of crown over their realm shield as well as their name.

I do agree that we need more map modes and for the size of some of the UI elements to be reduced, or at least reducible, but I would trade every single extra map mode for never looking at the absolute dumpster fire of ck2's interface ever again. Ck3 is the new standard for pdx ui's, period.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Red alert, we have a person who didn't have his brain adjusted to Stockholm UX School and who doesn't feel happy from CK3 UI being somewhat more penetrable.

I mean CK3 might have the best UI among all the GSG or even empire building games in general (it's better than Civ and Total War games, I think) but it's still not enough. Paradox has managed to apply some obvious improvements like showing army comparison on declare war screen or even (gasp!) switching the map to a religious mode when you open religion tab. There are even some non-obvious improvements like nested popups. But it's still miles away from a state where UI is just a tool, not a mini-game in itself requiring player to master it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Between imperator and ck3 they really need to hire a guy just for the ui. They're somehow regressing and I don't get it

The weirdest part of your complaint is that you posted in direct response to an update that says of the UX changes

quote:

This is something we’ve been keeping under wraps for a while now, and which has been the sole focus of @jiroro, our UX designer, since she joined the team.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

we civ now

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...20201012_for_dd

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/imperator-rome-developer-diary-9th-of-november-2020.1441511/

...No, we're CK3

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

quote:

In the Marius Update there are no longer any permanent armies at start in most of the world (there are exceptions, we will return to those). Instead troops are raised in time of need directly from the non-slave pops of your empire.

quote:

Since all able-bodied men from that pop are now part of your armed forces, any pop that is part of the levy will stop contributing to the economy, until the levy is disbanded.
when a unit dies, so may it's associated pop!

quote:

Unlike the current version of the game, you do not have direct control over what kind of troops your levied armies contain. What kind of troops you get is instead dependent on the culture of the pops being raised, with each culture in the game having its own preferred troop type template.

This means that levied troops will vary greatly depending on where in the world you are raising them, and dependent on what cultures you have integrated. An Etruscan levy is going to be different from a Roman one, and a Macedonian levy will be different from a Carthaginian one.
In addition to being dependent on culture, the unit type maps to different pop types. A cohort of Heavy cavalry is going to be raised from Citizens or Nobles, whereas an Archer cohort would be coming from Freemen or Tribesmen.

This actually sounds pretty nice; it seems like it's a system that actually makes use of what the pop system has to offer. Also really like how simulationist it is, although I can imagine that will frustrate some people since it seems like it'll be a lot harder to directly set up your army composition.

I should probably actually give the game a go again. Basically every change I've seen them making in the dev diaries has sounded nice, but for some reason I just can't motivate myself to start a game of it again.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Hopefully whenever this launches they're able to give the game a relaunch of sorts. They're obviously putting in a lot of work basically making a new game over the debris of the old, but I don't get the sense that it has much traction marketing wise. Cool of them to keep at it, though.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

holy drat this owns really hard :circlefap:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This really is going to be a completely different game when version 2.0 launches.

It will be very interesting to see what the levy system does to smaller, regional powers that want to take on inherently powerful neighbors. I recently played a game as the Etruscans using the Glavius AI Mod, and the only way I was able to take out Rome was to build as large a Heavy-Infantry-based army as quickly as possible, rack up a bunch of tyranny by securing alliances with Rome's neighbors even though I had low Assembly support, and then smacking them in the mouth as quickly as possible while hoping not to have Etruscan manpower completely depleted. This, because in the mod Rome plays against type and allies with Carthage and all their subjects.

With what was announced today, it would seem like trying something similar in version 2.0 would be quite a bit more delicate since you now have to factor in provincial economies, class makeup of your armies, the military capability of your governors and leaders, and possibly any number of other factors that have yet to be announced.

That said, just about everything that's been announced about the Marius update has looked excellent. I just hope that large-scale AI improvement comes with it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Crazy Ted posted:

I just hope that large-scale AI improvement comes with it.

lol

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

yeah yeah I know, but surely it'll be better than when I tried to play without the Glavius mod a few weeks ago and the Antigonids, sitting on 1,400 gold, 59,000 manpower, and in the midst of a Civil war, had zero troops of any kind for over a year?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Nice to see that they're getting the last of the placeholder mechanics out of the way before the game gets out of EA.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Second half: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/imperator-rome-developer-diary-16th-of-november-2020.1442647/

Legions are permanent levies with unrestricted compositions, looks like. Not sure what manpower is still doing on the topbar at this point.

Tied to regions, but commanded by 'legates' rather than governors. Legates have 'tribune' subcommanders.

Levies convert their earned cohort experience to military experience on disbanding.

I've been hooting and hollering at this last couple of DDs like a goddamn ape. Make raising an army as awkward and difficult as possible, please. Make marching one into the enemy's capital the easiest part of waging war. Force me to engage with the economic and social textures of my territory, instead of treating it as this frictionless black box soldiers fall out of. Just gently caress my poo poo up.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Second half: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/imperator-rome-developer-diary-16th-of-november-2020.1442647/

Legions are permanent levies with unrestricted compositions, looks like. Not sure what manpower is still doing on the topbar at this point.

Tied to regions, but commanded by 'legates' rather than governors. Legates have 'tribune' subcommanders.

Levies convert their earned cohort experience to military experience on disbanding.

I've been hooting and hollering at this last couple of DDs like a goddamn ape. Make raising an army as awkward and difficult as possible, please. Make marching one into the enemy's capital the easiest part of waging war. Force me to engage with the economic and social textures of my territory, instead of treating it as this frictionless black box soldiers fall out of. Just gently caress my poo poo up.

I love everything im seeing here, it barely even looks like launch imperator anymore.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I never thought I would be this excited about an update to this game after my first round of playing it. It reminds me of how excited I was when it was first coming out, which is probably a bad sign, but there's no question about it: I am ready to get hurt again.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Dang, looking sick. For the first time in a year and a half I'm actually getting kinda hyped to play it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I think you use manpower to replenish your the numbers of active armies - both legions and levies - and possibly also as part of the cost of raising legions (I'm unsure of this). So manpower is now entirely something which you need to keep your armies in the field.

I think it's worth noting that when your levies are raised you don't generate any manpower or other economic input from those pops, so early game warfare is going to be extremely heavily restricted by how much manpower you can store up and you should be able to get a massive advantage from attacking an enemy when they're tapped out on manpower. You can choose to raise more or less of your levies so this also incentivises you to use as little of your forces as possible to achieve victory in any given conflict, which is a nice change from most Paradox games where you usually use overwhelming force since there's no point in not using an army once it exists (and disbanding armies in some games effectively destroys manpower so is actively bad). And the high gold cost to maintain legions means that the link between your economy should stick around even once you unlock the ability to make legions everywhere.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

I think you use manpower to replenish your the numbers of active armies - both legions and levies - and possibly also as part of the cost of raising legions (I'm unsure of this). So manpower is now entirely something which you need to keep your armies in the field.

I was going to say that this seems superfluous when everything's bound to pops and pops are destroyed when you take casualties, but then I remembered that that only happens when you get stackwiped. We'll see how it works in practice, I guess.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I was going to say that this seems superfluous when everything's bound to pops and pops are destroyed when you take casualties, but then I remembered that that only happens when you get stackwiped. We'll see how it works in practice, I guess.

As well as that I'm not sure if there is a direct link between legions and pops in the same way that there is between levies and pops. Though legions are still restricted numerically in the same way as levies so it could work if they just made it choose a random non-slave pop or something.

I really hope that they make a beta patch for this, not only because it sounds interesting to play but also because it sounds like it's going to be a balance nightmare

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Do we get slaves from battle victories? I forget.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

No, just sieges. Unless you stack wipe barbarians, that gives you pops.

The siege slaving thing is weird. It seems to only happen on stacks with leaders?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

RabidWeasel posted:

I think it's worth noting that when your levies are raised you don't generate any manpower or other economic input from those pops, so early game warfare is going to be extremely heavily restricted by how much manpower you can store up and you should be able to get a massive advantage from attacking an enemy when they're tapped out on manpower. You can choose to raise more or less of your levies so this also incentivises you to use as little of your forces as possible to achieve victory in any given conflict, which is a nice change from most Paradox games where you usually use overwhelming force since there's no point in not using an army once it exists (and disbanding armies in some games effectively destroys manpower so is actively bad). And the high gold cost to maintain legions means that the link between your economy should stick around even once you unlock the ability to make legions everywhere.

I wonder how the AI is going to handle such a massive change to how warfare and economic management interact.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Red Bones posted:

I wonder how the AI is going to handle such a massive change to how warfare and economic management interact.

Unfortunately I think we can guess the answer to this :(

E: the changes look great though

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm actually expecting the AI to do better (after a teething period obviously) because levies are fairly binary and not having to carefully consider how much of its economy to set aside for military costs makes the problem easier overall. It just comes down to "do I have enough manpower to start a war" and "how many units do I want to actively raise right now". And there's no cost to raising levies so you can have the AI just let them all go back to the fields when it's at peace. Compare this to the existing system where the AI has to consider its manpower and cashflow before even deciding to make a single cohort and disbanding armies has a huge build in cost of making you lose both the manpower and gold that you used to raise the army in the first place.

At the moment it's far too easy to outmatch the AI as soon as you can raise a single decent size army, since the AI is generally pretty cautious about overspending on its military. With the new system this won't be the case, the AI will always have access to an army appropriate to its number of accepted culture pops.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 19, 2020

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Any word on when this is out?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

V for Vegas posted:

Any word on when this is out?

Nothing official, and going on the record we won't have date until it's a week or two away, but:

70 days elapsed between the release of 1.2 and 1.3, and 56 between 1.3's first DD and its patchnotes
119 days elapsed between the release of 1.3 and 1.4, and 70 between 1.4's first DD and its patchnotes
133 days elapsed between the release of 1.4 and 1.5, and 112 between 1.5's first DD and its patchnotes
100 days have elapsed since the release of 1.5, 52 since the first DD for 2.0, and 70 since the introduction of Thalassic

The 1.3~1.4 and 1.4~1.5 intervals overlap the winter and summer holidays, as well.

So I don't think it would be unreasonable to imagine a release before Christmas, though they're making this one sound like a more major overhaul.

e: Not pictured: me, staring at tea leaves and screaming "GIVE UP YOUR SECRETS!"

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

My heart says a beta patch early-mid December, my brain says no beta and release in late Jan / early Feb because Paradox seem to hate doing betas even when their .0 releases are always plagued with terrible bugs.

It's worth noting that they still haven't streamed 2.0 at all, they do a weekly stream of 1.5 still

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Afaik they do betas but they are private ones.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/imperator-dev-diary-heirs-of-alexander.1444015/

Double DD today.

Another indicator of a release sooner rather than later, imo: they're not worried about running out of content for DDs.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

quote:

Also please no more Latin names! This will be an Expansion focsed on the Hellenic successors after all, so having Legions, Legionaires and legates just breaks immersion.

I love the Paradox forums.

Diploid
Oct 21, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

???

Ck3 has a better UI than any other paradox game and its not close

Disagree. Sacrificed too much utility in exchange for minimalism.

The notification drop-down can get excessively long, sometimes things can get up under other things and become impossible to click on (banners popping up at the top are really bad about this, and if you right click to dismiss with an army selected then the army decides to walk off to whatever province was under the banner), pop-ups don't come with a message settings button anymore (so you can't turn off notifications you don't care about), map modes are terrible, you have to control+click to see a vassals mapmode rather than just making it choosable, a bunch of stuff just disappears when you zoom out too far, children needing guardians/education isn't high enough priority so it ends up under the miscellaneous crap notification list where it is forgotten about, empty filler space where none needs to be.

Admittedly, though, I hate minimalism in general with a passion.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/gameimperator/status/1356226090231062529

16th of February release date.

quote:

The career of Alexander III of Macedon was short and brilliant. In his decade-long war in Asia, Alexander’s fire burned a legend into the hearts of kings and conquerors who would follow. His death, however, meant civil war as comrade turned on comrade in an effort to claim the sacred mantle of the fallen king. Do you have what it takes to be the true Heir to Alexander’s legacy?

Paradox Development Studio and Paradox Thalassic are happy to announce Heirs of Alexander, a new Content Pack for Imperator: Rome. Focusing on the successor kingdoms to Alexander the Great’s empire, this Content Pack adds greater depth to playing out the grand ambitions of the Seleucid, Ptolemaic, Antigonid and Macedonian kingdoms.

The Heirs of Alexander content pack includes:

Unique Mission Trees: New special mission objectives for the Antigonid Empire in Anatolia, Seleucid Empire in Asia, Ptolemaic Empire in Egypt, Macedonia and Thrace.
Shared Mission Tree: Diadochi-themed mission objectives available to all of the Successor Kingdoms.
Wonder Designer: New tool that allows players to build their own custom monuments, adding bonuses to their location or to the entire empire.
New Events: Various Historical Events based on the history and legacy of Alexander’s followers.
New Deities: Regional gods and goddesses from the Hellenistic kingdoms.
New Treasures: Distinctive artifacts from the Hellenistic kingdoms.
New Music: Three new music tracks to inspire your Successor Kingdom.

Heirs of Alexander will be available at major online retailers on 16 February 2021 for the suggested retail price of $9.99/£7.19/€9.99.

This content pack will be accompanied by a major free update. The 2.0 ‘Marius’ update to Imperator: Rome is a significant reworking of the military system in the game, adding new features that transform war and army management:

Levies: Draft levies from your provinces to fight your wars. Their size and composition is based on the cultures and population types in the province.
Legions: Advance your military technology to create standing, professional military forces to guard your empire. But beware of their cost and tendency to follow disloyal generals.
Military Histories: Legions and Mercenary units have histories that will list their accomplishments over time, earning honors or penalties based on their legacies.
Engineers: Special cohort to help with sieges, river crossings and road building.
Changes to Inventions and Military Traditions: Radically overhauled invention system - unlock new abilities alongside old inventions, and shape your civilization like never before.
Diadochi War Goal: New large scale conquests available to Hellenistic kingdoms to better model the ambitions of Successor rulers.
UI Overhaul: Completely reworked interface to make options and decisions more intuitive.
And much more: New unit models for levy and legion units, new port construction options, changes to forts and deities.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I wonder if Paradox is going to make any attempts at a relaunch alongside this update. Sure seems like it deserves one, they’ve put so much work into it.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I'll be giving it another go at least so good on them for keeping going.

Pops actually dying when armies die is straight from vicky, so surely it's gonna be the best.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

One thing that they didn't mention there (probably because "we fixed something really broken" isn't good in a marketing release) is that the AI seems to be much better at conquering land that isn't dirt poor tribals. Like, "AI Rome conquers all of Greece and Egypt and Carthage" is actually a thing that can plausibly happen now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

That sort of thing was what I wanted the most from the initial release. Like the problem with mana system was that it produces interesting decisions only in a competitive environment. And in a game that wants you to play as Rome it was too easy to become unstoppable and have interesting decisions reduced to optimization of unopposed land grabs.