Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Braksgirl posted:

Tom Bricker says as long as you have a park pass for that day you can join the boarding group from anywhere. They've had people do it from 20 minutes away.

OK good to know. We live five minutes as the crow flies from MK, I wasn't sure if I would need to wake up and drive over to Floridian Way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did they knock down primeval whirl

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Just got back today from a 3-day spin of HS/MK/AK with the inlaws. We’re glad we did it— we had pretty much sworn off any trips in the near future and actually sold back our APs in September, but the timing lined up for the wife’s family and Disney seemed safer than our grocery store so we went for it.

I definitely agree with the goon who said the vibe was slightly off, like you’re observing the characters from far away instead of the usual interactions. Very happy about the crazy low wait times though. Peter Pan and Mine Train never got more than an hour, and we rode FoP twice easily and could have done it a third time but decided to watch the bird show instead.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Did they knock down primeval whirl

Nope. Was there yesterday and it’s just sitting there with the sign illuminated for some reason.

Jose Oquendo posted:

edit: And for the goon asking about lightsaber parts, Savi's does sell extra parts. $25 a pop or $20 a piece if you buy 2 or more. Dok Ondar's also has 2 new kyber crystals that turn your Holocron into a magic 8-ball. They'll have gold colored caps on the packaging.

:hellyeah: Didn’t get any parts but I scored a green Kyber crystal and the Count Dooku legacy saber that had only been out for a day.

Rise was still amazing but not as mind blowing as the first time since I knew what to expect. The surprise factor really goes a long way in how cool the ride is.

It started pouring towards the end of the night on Sunday and my wife and I and her family were the very last people on Smugglers Run. Everybody else was hiding in the rain in the exit area but we had Oga’s reservations at 7:50 so we said gently caress it and booked it on out of there. Immediately a CM in a poncho ran up to us and said there was an opening at the last building session of the day at Savi’s and would we like to go, and my wife and I shoved her little brother after the dude because we’d been trying to get him a slot for days. He loved it :3:

I also got some pretty neat photos

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
^^^^Galaxy's Edge at night is loving amazing and it's the best time to be there.

I'm here for the rest of the week but I've been to all the parks, so here's some observations. I'll try to break it down by park. But first some notes for all parks.

If possible get to a park as early as you can. They're opening parks as much as an hour early. In some cases, they aren't turning the rides on until rope-drop time but you can at least get in line for your favorite ride that has a long line.

Wait times on the app are often over-estimates. If a ride has a wait time of 15-20 minutes, it's either a walk-on or drat close. For rides above that, knock 5-10 minutes off the number listed. The wait times can fluctuate wildly for everything except the usual suspects like Mickey or Seven Dwarves. Today Toy Story Mania would be at 30 minutes and then a minute later, 15, and then back up.

With everything being equal and no fastpass, you're gonna have to wait in lines. You'll just have to accept it.

If you are walking around and start hearing music blare from the PA systems, that means a parade is coming your way so grab a spot on a sidewalk (or bridge if you're at AK) and get ready to take some pictures and wave at the characters.

AK: Least busy because it has least amount of rides. Despite that I definitely recommend getting there early. Example: The day I went the park opened at 8 however the buses started running early, like around 6:50am. By 7:30 I was in line for Flight of Passage. I think they turned the ride on by 7:45. By 8:20 or so I did both Avatar rides. Everything else there has super low wait times. We took our time, did all the rides, did the walk-through animal areas, even took the train to the conservation station, and had plenty of time to just chill. Definitely a one day park.

Epcot: Futureworld isn't that crowded but the World Showcase is because of Frozen and the Food and Wine Festival. Most of the wait times weren't bad, especially for Frozen, which normally has a huge line and almost always necessitates a fastpass. I think the longest we waited was 45 minutes or so for Test Track. If you're not into the Food and Wine Festival, it's definitely a one day park.

MK: Definitely more crowded than AK or Epcot, but seemed manageable. As mentioned above, most of the wait times aren't bad. However, they do fluctuate a lot so you can get unlucky. The times are often over-estimates, so keep that mind when planning what you want to do. If possible, get there early to rope drop Seven Dwarves if you want to maximize your time. If you want to hit every ride, you'll definitely need 2 days. We didn't push that hard and didn't get to Tomorrowland, Splash, or Big Thunder.

HS: The most crowded because it has all the new poo poo. I highly recommend getting here early to rope drop Mickey. Wait times never dipped below 55 minutes and often sits at 80. Other than Slinky and Smuggler's Run, which both hovered around 1 hour, the wait times would fluctuate for the other rides. Star Tours is almost always a near walk-on but everything else would be between 25-60. If luck is on your side, you MIGHT be able to do all the rides in a day, but I'd say you need 2. ROR is loving awesome. I've been on it twice and it's great. Even though it's not interactive like Smuggler's Run, it's way more immersive. I hope everyone here gets a chance to ride it in the future. I really don't want to say much more because I don't wait to spoil it. Mickey is also awesome. It's not my favorite dark ride, but it really does make you feel like you're living in a cartoon.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wait times on the app are often over-estimates. If a ride has a wait time of 15-20 minutes, it's either a walk-on or drat close. For rides above that, knock 5-10 minutes off the number listed. The wait times can fluctuate wildly for everything except the usual suspects like Mickey or Seven Dwarves. Today Toy Story Mania would be at 30 minutes and then a minute later, 15, and then back up.

:same: Yes! I forgot to mention this. Anything ~20 minutes is basically walk-on. We did Kali River and Toy Story Mania this way. If they’re listed on MDE as 40 minutes or above, it’s more accurate, but still probably overestimated.

Agreed that MK in Roni-mode is probably the most crowded, but we did all we wanted.

As a side note, I’m getting really pumped for Tron. We saw some pieces being assembled while we waited for Barnstormer and it looks dope as gently caress. Shame it shut down the Peoplemover though :(

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Hazo posted:

:same: Yes! I forgot to mention this. Anything ~20 minutes is basically walk-on. We did Kali River and Toy Story Mania this way. If they’re listed on MDE as 40 minutes or above, it’s more accurate, but still probably overestimated.

Agreed that MK in Roni-mode is probably the most crowded, but we did all we wanted.

As a side note, I’m getting really pumped for Tron. We saw some pieces being assembled while we waited for Barnstormer and it looks dope as gently caress. Shame it shut down the Peoplemover though :(

They are likely going to halt construction for a while on Tron once they wrap up a few things by next Month. I think it's likely to sit unfinished until 2022. Gwazi at Busch and Jurassic Park coaster at Universal will still open in '21 though.

We decided to go for DHS yesterday, and it wasn't horrible. Although the lack of the citizens of Hollywood makes that area really plain. We managed to get boarding group 30 at 7am, got in around 9:30 and did Toy Story Midway Mayhem, rear end, and Smuggler's Run basically before 10:30, Start Tours, then our boarding group for "Plexiglass" Rise was called, lunch, then over to runaway railway (Posted 80 minute wait, actually took 50 minutes) Although being outside in the overflow queue around 2PM when nearly Everyone went on their phone at once for the new rise boarding opportunity is semi hilarious to see--you only get 1 per day. (I think both 7am and 2pm ran out in less than a minute). Weather was great, with a good breeze. Waits for Mickey and Slinky are consistently 60-90 minutes all day. And Christmas decorations are up.

We did Volcano Bay's last day (until March or so) this past Sunday and that went well too. Looks like they are geared up for major refurbs in the downtime.

Two more Universal hotels are opening up in December, Portofino Bay on Dec 1st, and the brand new one that actually never opened (Rona killed the planned opening week), Endless Summer Dockside on Dec 15th. Sapphire Falls and Aventura still closed, though.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 5, 2020

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Is Universal operating on reduced crowds in the parks like WDW? We are going for 2 days at the end of December for my sons 13th birthday, curious how its operating.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Douchebag posted:

Is Universal operating on reduced crowds in the parks like WDW? We are going for 2 days at the end of December for my sons 13th birthday, curious how its operating.

Reduced capacity, but no reservations required. What winds up happening is weekends are slammed to the new capacity, and it's slow during the week (The park hours reflect that too).

The weather being better is making mid week a bit busier than when it was hotter, though.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 5, 2020

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Atricks posted:

Reduced capacity, but no reservations required. What winds up happening is weekends are slammed to the new capacity, and it's slow during the week (The park hours reflect that too).

Ok good. I'm going on the Tuesday before Christmas so I'm expecting it to be crowded but if its a reduced capacity crowded I'm fine with that.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Be mindful, there isn't a HUGE difference between "reduced capacity" and an average busy day at Universal. The two times I've braved it on a weekend it was like a busy summer day and it was uncomfy, so I avoid it. Weekdays are nicer, but still prone to being busier than you might expect.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I forget the exact numbers but they talked about this on disney dish. 25% capacity or whatever is like an average busy day because capacity is christmas.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Pththya-lyi posted:

Stateside version when

I feel like if this came stateside, a lot of hardcore christian would picket the ride calling this the devil's work or witchcraft...but given how that looks, how is that not witchcraft? :tinfoilhat:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Congrats to Magic Kingdom for a new animatronic coming soon

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just shuffle the Trump one to the back where you can barely see it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I hit the Hall of Presidents this week because I wanted to see the Trump bot. The animatronic version speaks, looks, moves, and feels 1000000x more human than the real one.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Jose Oquendo posted:

I hit the Hall of Presidents this week because I wanted to see the Trump bot. The animatronic version speaks, looks, moves, and feels 1000000x more human than the real one.

And you can turn it off!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

And you can turn it off!

And it’s bolted to the floor.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
welp

https://twitter.com/GoAwayGreen/status/1325853049454202887?s=20

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

C'mon at least put a year on it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
lol what an :effort: grift

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Well drat guys I kind of like it :(

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Bottom Liner posted:

lol what an :effort: grift

that's like, 99% of the off-brand disney shirt market

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
WORD
LIST
THING
TSHIRT
YEAH

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Needs to say gently caress TRUMP

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
the site that shall not be named has pics of the new trader sam’s merch at the poly. Looks pretty good.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It's all from the artist Shag, and Disney won't put it online for some reason, and if any Orlando goons can hook a boy up I'll give you tremendous love in the form of money

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

It's all from the artist Shag, and Disney won't put it online for some reason, and if any Orlando goons can hook a boy up I'll give you tremendous love in the form of money

I would love to do the same, but as I just came back from Palm Springs with new Shag merch from his store, the SO says Hell No, No More Money This Month.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

WORD
LIST
THING
TSHIRT
YEAH

I want one that just says 'covid covid covid covid gently caress' and a sad mickey pumpkin head because MNSSHP 2020 :smith:

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
If our resident Haunted Mansion goon was working the main entrance next to the FP around 540p today - I said hey

Best birthday is a magic kingdom birthday. Avoided the rain - had Sanaa to go on my balcony, and a perfectly delightful day.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

"Do you have hot and cold running chills in your house"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Anya posted:

If our resident Haunted Mansion goon was working the main entrance next to the FP around 540p today - I said hey

Best birthday is a magic kingdom birthday. Avoided the rain - had Sanaa to go on my balcony, and a perfectly delightful day.

I did Haunted Mansion a few times last week. I wish I had known a goon worked it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

This dude built a tiny Matterhorn in his backyard.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Resident HM Goon here, but I am not currently at HM due to some medical issues that make the moving sidewalk an issue, so I'm over at the Hall of Presidents. Super exciting!

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Holy bananas. That’s amazing

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Was that an optical illusion, or do you decapitate yourself on that Mini-Matterhorn unless you duck?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Superrodan posted:

Was that an optical illusion, or do you decapitate yourself on that Mini-Matterhorn unless you duck?

No, adults have to tuck their head away in multiple directions through the ride to not lose it.

I clicked on the link expecting a Nara Dreamland quality deathtrap and I wasn't disappointed. Nice track work, though. He just needs to grind and rust the bejeezus out of it so it becomes as spine-shattering rough as the real one.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 12, 2020

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I rode Matterhorn in Sept 2019 and I was worried it was going to mess up my back, but it worked out ok. It was rough, but about the same as WDW Space Mountain, I think. We made my MIL ride Matterhorn and she wouldn't open her eyes at all which was a shame. It's a fun ride.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

....I'm good. :capitalism:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So here's a question because this is a thing that totally happened to me last week.

Are there super secret or employee restrooms someone can use if they gotta piss while in line for a ride? I was in line for Space Mountain and about 20 minutes in and I had to pee so bad. I was hurting. I couldn't even enjoy the ride because I was 100% laser focused on not pissing my pants. If I asked a CM would they let me use a hidden restroom somewhere in the ride building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Looks like a voodoo doll lmfao