Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
So how bad would it be to get a 93 mile range air cooled EV? I have a gas car easily available for road trips of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

RZA Encryption posted:

You joke, but I think someone would clean up if they focused on "restoring" insanely common cars with a good detail, reupholster problem seats, add some cheap head unit with android auto/carplay + backup camera, and stuffed it full of batteries. It'd be a lot easier to do this than to build a car from nothing, and parts are plentiful.

If you were going to mass-retrofit a specific model of car with the focus being low cost, durable, and fixable (parts available), what would you choose?

1990’s Camry

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

I love this.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Shamino posted:

Oil subsidies are almost entirely a myth other than some research grants to make things cleaner. Unless you're talking about the externalities of carbon, but that's not a subsidy in the traditional sense.

The United States provides a number of tax subsidies to the fossil fuel industry as a means of encouraging domestic energy production. These include both direct subsidies to corporations, as well as other tax benefits to the fossil fuel industry. Conservative estimates put U.S. direct subsidies to the fossil fuel industry at roughly $20 billion per year; with 20 percent currently allocated to coal and 80 percent to natural gas and crude oil. European Union subsidies are estimated to total 55 billion euros annually.

https://www.eesi.org/papers/view/fact-sheet-fossil-fuel-subsidies-a-closer-look-at-tax-breaks-and-societal-costs

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Charles posted:

So how bad would it be to get a 93 mile range air cooled EV? I have a gas car easily available for road trips of course.

If 93 miles meets your commute requirements, and you live in a somewhat temperate climate?

100% not bad and awesome I love my Leaf to bits.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

The United States provides a number of tax subsidies to the fossil fuel industry as a means of encouraging domestic energy production. These include both direct subsidies to corporations, as well as other tax benefits to the fossil fuel industry. Conservative estimates put U.S. direct subsidies to the fossil fuel industry at roughly $20 billion per year; with 20 percent currently allocated to coal and 80 percent to natural gas and crude oil. European Union subsidies are estimated to total 55 billion euros annually.

https://www.eesi.org/papers/view/fact-sheet-fossil-fuel-subsidies-a-closer-look-at-tax-breaks-and-societal-costs

Just wait until you guys figure out how much our state governments are funded through oil and gas taxes lol. In the not too distant future you'll be seeing additional taxes on EVs rather than subsidies (on a level much different than the California's minor additional annual registration increase).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

If 93 miles meets your commute requirements, and you live in a somewhat temperate climate?

100% not bad and awesome I love my Leaf to bits.

It's the Kia Soul EV so very similar, Seattle area too so like 0-25 / 32-77 degrees most of the year. The 2018 is a 30kwh version rated for about 110 miles but hard to find and more expensive than I want to spend right now. I found with the one I rented going 70 mph drops it a bit quickly although sounds like this one has been fast charged a lot. Ordered an obd2 that should be compatible with Soul spy so I can get a reading on battery health.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

VideoGameVet posted:

Did you read your link? It talks entirely about tax breaks/strategy (which is available to all corporations, not just the fossil fuel industry) and externalities, with only a short mention of relatively minor direct subsidies which like I said are centered around making gas and coal cleaner.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

No, no, tax breaks are not the government subsidising an industry. That would mean the government subsidises all industries to some extent! That's not OK; in America hard working John Galts don't accept government handouts! Tax credits for EVs to private persona are a subsidy, though. Private individuals don't deserve tax breaks like corporations do.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Shamino posted:

Did you read your link? It talks entirely about tax breaks/strategy (which is available to all corporations, not just the fossil fuel industry) and externalities, with only a short mention of relatively minor direct subsidies which like I said are centered around making gas and coal cleaner.

I'll go along with Biden's plan to keep Fracking happening if these two things happen.

1. Reverse the Cheney rule on the secrecy of the fracking fluid formulations.
2. Real monitoring and reduction of leaks.

Still not happy about that, but if you really clamped down on the leaks at the fracking wells, natural gas would be far better than coal. As it is now, with the underreported leaks, it's an unknown.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Back to the EV stuff.

On the Kia Niro EV, if you want real heat in the cabin ... you want to go into 'Normal' driving mode, not Eco ... although you can modify the Eco mode to up the cooling/heating.

What's interesting is that it feels like AC can act as a heat pump by itself BUT the heater is an additional device and (based on how it effects the range) and is resistive. Weather got to the 40's and we needed the heat.

Finally, I've been driving in Eco mode almost all the time (hey, it's Southern California), but the Performance mode IS a lot of fun though.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
If I just go out when its below freezing outside, hop in my cold soaked 2020 Model 3 with climate on auto and run to the grocery store that is only about a mile away in city traffic...the Wh/Mile is devastating (>500 easily).

I wonder what it will be when its really cold out and I hop in to make the same trip with the defroster blasting on high. First thing that runs through my head is the Vegeta "over 9000" meme.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I remember seeing 6-800 in those circumstances. When the car is cold soaked it's pretty brutal. If you're driving longer distances the cabin warms up and it stabilizes a bit. Still worth it for the instant heat vs. an ICE car regardless.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Charles posted:

If it meets your regular commute and you can charge at home/work I'd say go for it.

Make sure to get Plugshare, know where fast chargers are, and watch out for regular trips that may become road trips. My i3 gets about 100 miles battery only and I once had a trip to Ikea and back, which should have been about 30 miles total, turn into a trip to Ikea to Living Spaces to World Market to Downtown and back which ended up closer to 90 miles.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

VideoGameVet posted:

I'll go along with Biden's plan to keep Fracking happening if these two things happen.

1. Reverse the Cheney rule on the secrecy of the fracking fluid formulations.
2. Real monitoring and reduction of leaks.

Still not happy about that, but if you really clamped down on the leaks at the fracking wells, natural gas would be far better than coal. As it is now, with the underreported leaks, it's an unknown.

I think the hard part is there are a lot of natural seeps and producers/drillers would just say that it's a natural leak and not directly related. Fracking fluid and water is a big deal though, also all the radioactive waste that gets pulled up.

The upside is that many of these wells hit lithium rich salt water instead of oil. You could produce the worlds demand for lithium out of Permian oil wells with the right technology. Utah also has something like a 10,000 year supply of helium in their natural gas wells.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Charles posted:

It's the Kia Soul EV so very similar, Seattle area too so like 0-25 / 32-77 degrees most of the year. The 2018 is a 30kwh version rated for about 110 miles but hard to find and more expensive than I want to spend right now. I found with the one I rented going 70 mph drops it a bit quickly although sounds like this one has been fast charged a lot. Ordered an obd2 that should be compatible with Soul spy so I can get a reading on battery health.

That should be good for anything you want to do between Seattle and Tacoma.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

That should be good for anything you want to do between Seattle and Tacoma.

I'd be getting the 93 mile version (2017) I mean. Driving ~43 miles dropped it 53 on the GOM, but I was going 70 on 405. So not a lot of headroom once it starts to degrade, but I think I'll hang on to it for just a year or two. Doing an airport run tonight.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Just did a mini road trip with my Bolt to pick a friend up from the airport, out for a late night donut run, drop her off, and then go home. Probably 60% of it was 65/70mph highway, 30% was 45/55mph country highway, and 10% city. Drove 147mi and ended up at 40% battery. It ended up being 3.8mi/kW so I'm definitely impressed!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there a delay to when you can unplug the Chademo connector? The EA charger and EVgo charger said it was ready to remove but it wouldn't let go for about another 30 seconds.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Charles posted:

Is there a delay to when you can unplug the Chademo connector? The EA charger and EVgo charger said it was ready to remove but it wouldn't let go for about another 30 seconds.

Not really. Sounds like it's a tight fit, and you gotta wiggle it around a bit. heh

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Not really. Sounds like it's a tight fit, and you gotta wiggle it around a bit. heh

Weird, I'll have to listen for a mechanical lock sound to be sure. Last night I was in crazy wind and today I wasn't listening carefully. I pushed the little thumb tab but it seems like it doesn't let go until the station fans come to a stop.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Charles posted:

I'm used to a short delay between the station deciding it's done and releasing the solenoid lock.

I wonder if it grounds the capacitors in the HVDC Converter so you don't zap yourself.

Btw, Charles, have you looked at 30kW Leafs? There's some for really cheap around here, I've had 0 issues with battery degradation in this climate, and I think the 70mph range penalty is slightly lower based on how slippery the Leaf's design is, even if you do have battery problems, if you're only.keeping it for a couple years, the 8 year battery warranty should jeep you covered on a '17.

I get 90-100 miles freeway range on a charge, depending on time of year, but I almost never use the heat in winter.

E: 12 bars, 89.92% reported SOH from Leafspy, 33,000 miles, 3.5 years old, fwiw.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 11, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They do poorly on the small overlap crash test and unfortunately that's a deal breaker for me. :/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are any EVSEs better than the others? I was looking at ClipperCreek or JuiceBox, because they're made in the U.S. The JuiceBox also has some networking / app capability which is a plus.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I would pay more for something that did not connect to the internet, tbh. This is a generic statement not limited to EVSEs.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm using a Grizzl-E. I heard good things about it and bought one last month. Was $420 for the 14-50 25ft version. No smart features. It's a 40A (continuous, I never know how to properly specify this) unit with dip switches to adjust current.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ooh that one looks good too and is made in Canada. I know what you mean about IoT devices. Looks like the Juicebox app is only 2.9 stars for the iPhone version, so meh.

Looks like the standard for interoperability is something called OCPP.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

EVSEs don't have any special function other than to tell the vehicle it plugs into how many volts & amps it can provide, except for those fancy ones with time-based & internet features.

Honestly, get one on Amazon which has the amps you're looking for which is cheap and has lots of positive reviews. To get the amps you want, take the max amps your circuit has and take it down by 20% to get the continuous amps.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nfcknblvbl posted:

EVSEs don't have any special function other than to tell the vehicle it plugs into how many volts & amps it can provide, except for those fancy ones with time-based & internet features.

Honestly, get one on Amazon which has the amps you're looking for which is cheap and has lots of positive reviews. To get the amps you want, take the max amps your circuit has and take it down by 20% to get the continuous amps.

Yeah, I know I'm getting a 40amp 14-50 one, just willing to pay a bit extra to get one built in the U.S. & durable enough to have the charging cable outside during mild Seattle weather. Canada is fine too so the Grizzl-e wins on price.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good News! The BMW iX is now... a thing.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/11/the-ix-is-bmws-new-flagship-electric-vehicle/

Looks like it's the size of an X5, probably with AWD and 300 mile range. No price yet. No drunk either.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/11/the-ix-is-bmws-new-flagship-electric-vehicle/

Looks like it's the size of an X5, probably with AWD and 300 mile range. No price yet. No drunk either.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I can say that my Clipper Creek experience has been very nice and has been mostly trouble free charging outside through 3 Wisconsin winters. The only problem I've had was the handle release occasionally getting jammed with ice so that the charger wouldn't engage. Despite having been outside for 3 years the handle is in great shape.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm using a Grizzl-E. I heard good things about it and bought one last month. Was $420 for the 14-50 25ft version. No smart features. It's a 40A (continuous, I never know how to properly specify this) unit with dip switches to adjust current.

Oh, how long did it take to arrive? I'm buying the car tomorrow 😅

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

That is fugly

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

A traditional SUV design with a GOOD ev drivetrain is going to sell by the train load. Bi can't believe no one has gotten it right yet.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Why did BMW look at that meme of their grills getting worse and worse and go

...yeah okay sounds good

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Shamino posted:

A traditional SUV design with a GOOD ev drivetrain is going to sell by the train load. Bi can't believe no one has gotten it right yet.

The ID.4 looks great.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There's ICE BMWs getting that grill as well. Apparently, and I can cite my sources here, the Chinese market wants a really big logo so your expensive purchase is easily seen in a massive crowd. And for some reason BMW thought everybody else would like that as well.

I thought it looked like a pig, but pigs have cuter noses. It's more like suggested above, a mole rat, something nocturnal and burrowing. It really is horrendous. I'm usually not that bothered with how cars appear, but that is a nope on looks alone.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh I know this is a repeat, but what charging networks should I sign up for the U.S. and which cards should I get? EVgo and Charge Point are the big ones, right? What about Electrify America? I just paid with a credit card for that one. And then let's add this to the OP so we don't have to look through 69 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

We get by with evgo and chargepoint. EA is probably useful if there are any by you. There's lots of cross compatibility so you can usually start a session on other chargers with an evgo or chargepoint card. Get the Volta app if they're in your area. Free, but you need an app to enable. Greenlots and blink are both pretty much dead AFAIK.

Also, 69 pages. Nice.