Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MerryFlakyLemming-mobile.mp4

I, uhm, thought I made it.

Cause of death: Material Damage Acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

dis astranagant posted:

It affects your own projectiles and can have unpredictable results while moving.

also

My CPU melted just from playing these gifs. Thanks, rear end in a top hat. :mad:

Hempuli posted:

Yeah, for sure; I think that's what'll end up happening with something like Boomerang Spells because there's really not much of a way to make the effect itself useful. However, I'd prefer having the positive side-effect be thematically related to the actual effect; that'd be aesthetically much more pleasing. (To give an example, when updating Revenge Explosions I made it give you additional explosion resistance. Added resistance is useful but somewhat uninteresting in itself, but in this case it seemed thematically appropriate and added some value to the perk!)

Thanks a lot for being active on this thread, it's super cool of you :cheers: As a dev you no doubt appreciate all too well the frustration of a cool idea turning out to just not be workable in the actual game, and needing to be scrapped. There's no shame in just scrapping e.g. Boomerang Spells and removing it from the pool. It is and will probably always be functionally a blank perk; no player will ever take it once they understand what it does. I believe you when you say it wasn't intended to function as a practical joke on new players and/or a straight-up perk pool diluter, but that's exactly how it functions (especially since the game doesn't tell you what a perk actually does until AFTER you take it).

Explosion resistance is a nice benefit, but in a balls-hard game where HP regen is extremely difficult to come by, Revenge Explosions is and will always be too dangerous to take unless I already have Explosion Immunity. So the bonus resistance does nothing in practice to tempt me to take RE.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 9, 2020

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MerryFlakyLemming-mobile.mp4

I, uhm, thought I made it.

Cause of death: Material Damage Acid.

Yikes. So can material fall through the portal as well?

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I definitely think the perk descriptions option of Goki's Things should be in the main game.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah there's no need to punish players for curiosity any more than the game does by default, perks should tell you what they do

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sailor Dave posted:

You have to enable the option in the General tab, Replay Recorder. Make sure you have enough of a replay budget so it doesn't get cut off if you're doing a longer one.

Awesome, thank you!

Here's the wand, which I got off of the Dragon's corpse:

And here it is in action:

https://i.imgur.com/GSxyGC8.mp4

Maybe not the most impressive-looking visual effects, but if all the pellets hit that's 13+49*3*5 = 748 damage per frame. For added fun I could put explosive shots on there instead of one of the spread reducers...

Sailor Dave posted:

I definitely think the perk descriptions option of Goki's Things should be in the main game.

Yeah, having to pick perks based just on their brief descriptions is sometimes maddening, especially since there's a longer description available if you just mouse over the perk...after you've taken it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Log082 posted:

Something like this occurred to me when I picked up "No Tinkering" to see what it would do. I was kind of disappointed when the benefit was just extra gold, even if it was a LOT of extra gold. Having it do something to improve the wands themselves would be better, if feasible to program. Maybe something like "always cast" but it applies to every wand?

The "blood money" nuggets that No Tinkering makes drop also heal you, which is pretty powerful. It also sort of cancels out with "Edit Wands Anywhere" -- you still get the blood money but you're able to edit wands in holy mountains again

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

goferchan posted:

The "blood money" nuggets that No Tinkering makes drop also heal you, which is pretty powerful. It also sort of cancels out with "Edit Wands Anywhere" -- you still get the blood money but you're able to edit wands in holy mountains again

Oh I didn't catch the healing, that does make it better

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Yikes. So can material fall through the portal as well?

I think that's caused by the Holy Mountains being loaded as you get close to them instead of being there from the beginning; we've had some a bit annoying bugs lately and I think the 1.0 update made them load "late" a bit more often. :/ Something to look at.

Sailor Dave posted:

eke out posted:

yeah there's no need to punish players for curiosity any more than the game does by default, perks should tell you what they do

I haven't seen how it works in Goki's, but yeah, I do agree - I think the current implementation was more of a "we already have a system for showing the name and don't have time/resources to add a system to show the description atm" thing instead of an intentional decision. I doubt changing this would be too much work, although there is quite a lot we're still working on.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Explosion resistance is a nice benefit, but in a balls-hard game where HP regen is extremely difficult to come by, Revenge Explosions is and will always be too dangerous to take unless I already have Explosion Immunity. So the bonus resistance does nothing in practice to tempt me to take RE.

The explosion from Revenge Explosion at least shouldn't harm the player (although I have to admit that I've never exactly tested if this is actually the case and just trusted the settings; will have to do that!), although of course the explosion detonating other nearby explosive things would nevertheless be an issue.

And yeah, it's a classic issue that a developer gets too attached to their own ideas and is cross to remove them even when they turn out to be unworkable. Kill your children and all that. I think I'll still give rebalancing the perks a honest try before removing any, though (and imo having a couple underwhelming perks isn't a bad thing if they're goofy/interesting in some way - it only becomes a real issue if players feel that a large % of the perk pool is bad, which has seemed to be the consensus in some contexts.)

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

It's still way easier to find something you want compared to when you couldn't reroll.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I bought this way early in EA and recently with 1.0 got into it again big time. I love playing the game but I just suck too hard I guess. I know that's kind of the Noita experience in a nutshell but I've only once gotten into the Jungle and immediately got my face kicked in by enemies I didn't know.

I've picked up a few things here and there from reading stuff and watching a couple of YT videos, but it's just so hard. It feels like I can never keep up with enemy HP even scouring for wands and better spells and even with a few heart pickups here and there to increase max health I feel like it barely makes a difference. If each heart gave you 100 HP maybe I could actually do something with it :v:

Is there any kind of beginners guide or required reading that I should do to maybe not suck as much? I mean, apart from playing better in general.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

abraxas posted:

I bought this way early in EA and recently with 1.0 got into it again big time. I love playing the game but I just suck too hard I guess. I know that's kind of the Noita experience in a nutshell but I've only once gotten into the Jungle and immediately got my face kicked in by enemies I didn't know.

I've picked up a few things here and there from reading stuff and watching a couple of YT videos, but it's just so hard. It feels like I can never keep up with enemy HP even scouring for wands and better spells and even with a few heart pickups here and there to increase max health I feel like it barely makes a difference. If each heart gave you 100 HP maybe I could actually do something with it :v:

Is there any kind of beginners guide or required reading that I should do to maybe not suck as much? I mean, apart from playing better in general.

There are two or three mods to make it easier. Do it , fall on the temptation!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just mod yourself to start with Edit Wands Everywhere, it changes the game in a very good way IMO.

My preferred setup for Easy Mode Noita is:

* Edit Wands Everywhere
* Faster Movement (default movement speed is just too loving slow)
* the Extra Perk perk
* HP regen at 1HP/sec up to 30% of max

Note that “easy” by Noita standards is still hard as hell, at least for me. But I have a lot more fun with those four adjustments.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just mod yourself to start with Edit Wands Everywhere, it changes the game in a very good way IMO.

My preferred setup for Easy Mode Noita is:

* Edit Wands Everywhere
* Faster Movement (default movement speed is just too loving slow)
* the Extra Perk perk
* HP regen at 1HP/sec up to 30% of max

Note that “easy” by Noita standards is still hard as hell, at least for me. But I have a lot more fun with those four adjustments.

I've added edit-wands-everywhere and i dont regret it, it makes the gsme so much more fun and I definitely think it should be standard.

I'm also in the got into jungle once krew. I have once got a teleporting wand and gone really far to the left and the right as well.

Random question, what does finding the orbs actually do? The spells i found in them still havent showed up again at all

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I've added edit-wands-everywhere and i dont regret it, it makes the gsme so much more fun and I definitely think it should be standard.

I'm also in the got into jungle once krew. I have once got a teleporting wand and gone really far to the left and the right as well.

Random question, what does finding the orbs actually do? The spells i found in them still havent showed up again at all

The first time you pick one up unlocks the spell for spawning in wands, though most of them are quite rare and high level. On later runs you can grab orbs for extra max hp, but each one doubles the final boss' max hp and changes his patterns. You can get 30 some orbs on a run if you're really into that, but it takes ages to do and gives the boss trillions of hp.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I believe you can in fact get a wholly arbitrary number of orbs, but it requires accessing parallel worlds which in turn requires some really specific setups and a ton of patience.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can only grab one main world version of each orb, and one east and one west world version, even if you go deeper into additional east and west worlds.

This gives you a max legitimate orb count of 33, which also means there's a limit of how many NG+ iterations you can do.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Argh, I'm really tired of the de facto invincible enemies that show up in the last zone. Those flying white revenge-orb guys, the ghosts, and then in the Tower, the statues. Having enemies that you just straight-up can't kill, only try to outrun, forces me to play at a pace I'm really not comfortable with and definitely lead to my most recent death.

Statues can be killing by throwing tablets at them, I guess, though I feel like that's a pretty silly mechanic personally. But the revenge orbs, the only way I've found to safely deal with them is try to get them embedded in slime or dust, at which point they'll eventually suffocate. It's really fuckin' hard to safely arrange that and meanwhile they're chasing you everywhere and penalizing you for using wands that slaughter indiscriminately...which are exactly the kinds of wands you need to deal with everything else in the zone.

I have yet to find a way to damage ghosts. What's more, immunity to melee doesn't protect you from them.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Lightbulb creepers I usually kill by kicking one of those purple urns at, or sometimes I just dig a thin vertical hole with a luminous drill and strand them somewhere.

The arachnid ghosts are leashed to a blue crystal and die when you destroy it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You can safely kill the white revenge-lasermachinegun guys by using homing+a trigger wand and attacking them around corners. Their murderlasers thankfully don't go through any but the softest materials. The troubles are having access to homing and being able to set it up without being swarmed by other mobs.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

p trap gaming

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Der Shovel posted:

Well poo poo. Add that to the list of perks not to take, I guess!

Projectile repulsion field is one of the strongest perks in the game. You will simply not be damaged by a projectile moving slightly slower than lightspeed. I don't experience projectiles moving at 45 degree angles with it at all. Maybe your spell or spell modifier is doing that.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
whats the thing at the east edge of hiisi base for?

big carved stone head with glowing hourglass symbol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Molybdenum posted:

whats the thing at the east edge of hiisi base for?

big carved stone head with glowing hourglass symbol

i know if you fill it with enough blood, the blood will turn into gold. not sure if other liquids work and do different things or what

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

resistentialism posted:

The arachnid ghosts are leashed to a blue crystal and die when you destroy it.

:monocle: Somehow never figured this one out. Thanks!

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can safely kill the white revenge-lasermachinegun guys by using homing+a trigger wand and attacking them around corners. Their murderlasers thankfully don't go through any but the softest materials. The troubles are having access to homing and being able to set it up without being swarmed by other mobs.

Good to know, thanks. I didn't have homing but I did have a lot of indirect fire via Heavy Shot (shoot above the target, or at a wall near it, and the triggered shots will fall down on it).

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also you can dodge/strafe in open areas by keeping up your angular velocity and attacking in short bursts, or fire right before moving behind cover. It takes a while though and you're better off just leaving them behind, or smashing them with a tablet/runestone/rock/etc if you need a more permanent solution.

Got some weird bugs lately tho.

The water pipes in flooded levels can be affected by Personal Fireball Thrower, which is funny, but strangely they will apparently keep exploding even after the model is completely destroyed?

The Unstable Crystal projectiles should be scattering from where the Spitter Bolt w/Trigger projectile hits the ceiling, and don't have any modifiers that would normally let them phase through terrain. (it was mostly just 2x Light Shot and Homing, I think) Do the crystals just have such insane velocity that the game forgets to check for collisions on the first frame or something? Also wtf is the glowing aura doing?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Buff boomerang spells by making you resistant / immune to damage from your own projectiles. Boom, it's useful on multiple levels and players might actually take it as more than a habdicap / trap. Can make it easier to use some spells like the buzz saws or bombs at the expense of range

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Buff boomerang spells by making you resistant / immune to damage from your own projectiles. Boom, it's useful on multiple levels and players might actually take it as more than a habdicap / trap. Can make it easier to use some spells like the buzz saws or bombs at the expense of range

This is a good idea. Make glowing lances, saw blades, etc. pass right through you and the perk has a useful tradeoff

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Game crashed out of nowhere a little bit ago. Loaded up the save and this happened, probably explaining the crash

Never did find the good wand I just picked up before the crash again tho.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I had two crashes today, where previously I had one in like 250 hours of playtime.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I think my computer may not be fast enough to beat Noita without changing up my wand making. I’ve just been making wands which shoot really fast and sort of pointing them around the level until everything is dead. I have had some very successful runs recently, but when my builds start coming together my FPS drops to like 1-5, the sound cuts out, and I get occasional freezes.

Is there a rule of thumb for building rly effective wands without generating so many projectiles etc? Shooting each frame just feels so hard to beat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

tildes posted:

I think my computer may not be fast enough to beat Noita without changing up my wand making. I’ve just been making wands which shoot really fast and sort of pointing them around the level until everything is dead. I have had some very successful runs recently, but when my builds start coming together my FPS drops to like 1-5, the sound cuts out, and I get occasional freezes.

Is there a rule of thumb for building rly effective wands without generating so many projectiles etc? Shooting each frame just feels so hard to beat.

stacking projectile damage modifiers or triggering something like explosion of thunder can do a lot of work without having to shot all that fast.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Personally I'm rolling with Edit wands anywhere, Perk at the cave entrance and Health container pickups mods. That gives a bit of a quality of life improvent and makes the game a bit more manageable but it still remains quite hard and doesn't automatically guarantee success if you die stupidly or don't find a good wand until you reach ice caves.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

tildes posted:

Homing wands make everything extremely easy. I had an infinite spells perk and homing perk, then just dropped damage field on the raincloud spell and just spam that to kill everything you want.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
For the first time I managed to make it to parallel world with no save scumming or modding, didn't have the ideal setup really as I had pretty short range digging with ground to sand which I then I had to blast out with wands that had some recoil so that made my ambrosia supply pretty slim, I made a few miscalculations but made it out of the other side with 68 HP, which should be enough as long as I don't do anything stupid before reaching the holy mountain.

The game crashed right after I made it past the cursed rock I hope it recovers, I also managed to kill the squid boss, which made me feel good about myself.

Edit: I recovered in solid rock about 2-3 noita widths away from the cursed rock, I was so surprised i almost ran out of oxygen, managed to dig an airpocket on time. Lucky! I guess.

eDIT:XX2 - I am such an idiot, I was so giddy at this miracolous escape I jumped right into the portal in the east holy mountain and now I'm back in the first world with 66 HP, almost no ambrosia and a whole moutain to dig. Bah.

Edit:xxx3 - still in the starting world but well, I have a new best friend -

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 10, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Personally I'm rolling with Edit wands anywhere, Perk at the cave entrance and Health container pickups mods. That gives a bit of a quality of life improvent and makes the game a bit more manageable but it still remains quite hard and doesn't automatically guarantee success if you die stupidly or don't find a good wand until you reach ice caves.

I'm playing with Health containers pickup too, I edited it to gain 2 max hp and 10 'current' hp, in an effort to balance the later levels.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

If anyone notices some kind of a pattern to crashes that turn up, we super appreciate that extra info in hunting them down!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Hempuli posted:

If anyone notices some kind of a pattern to crashes that turn up, we super appreciate that extra info in hunting them down!

Hasn't happened in a while but one weirdly consistent pattern I've noticed was the game crashing when I was in coal pits and teleporting and/or moving too fast but it only happens toward the left of the biome and only when I'm going left (something to do with fungal cavern mapgen if it tries to generate too many blocks at once?)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Pictured: a wand for sale for 65 at the first Holy Mountain:

Too bad I don't have much to load into it, but that's one hell of a chassis.

EDIT: died in the Snowy Depths, but not before finding a wand with "Always Cast: Black Hole" and like 100 magic missiles stuffed into it.

...turns out magic missiles are kinda hard to use if they immediately orbit a slow-moving projectile. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

With the always cast reduce mana and the tiny cast delay, with a couple chainsaws/drills that would make a loving amazing machinegun wand.