Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mad Wack posted:

has this great pic in it

That’s a good dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

all this grousing about batteries from early reviewers has me second-guessing my 12 mini preorder. it's already "preparing to ship" so i guess i may as well try it when it gets here. i might send it back and get the regular 12 though unless i totally fall in love with the size. it does look very cute i must say

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Has anyone gone through the trade-in credit process with AT&T yet? I'm attempting a bit of a complicated switcharoo to upgrade my wife's phone. She has an unlocked iPhone 8 used on Verizon and I have an unlocked iPhone 11 Pro (purchased outright from Apple) that I use on AT&T. As a result, my AT&T line has an upgrade available. I was thinking of going through the following process:

1. Purchase iPhone 12 Pro through my line upgrade on AT&T (can't buy outright for some reason, requires installment plan)
2. Trade in wife's iPhone 8 to AT&T to receive $700 account credit
3. Pay off entirety of installment plan
4. Unlock iPhone 12 Pro through AT&T process, allowing wife to use iPhone 12 Pro

My worry is that doing steps 3 and 4 too quickly (I plan to pay it off and unlock it as soon as possible) will affect my bill credits. Is there a chance that not having a line item for an installment plan in ~3 months (which is when the account credit for the trade-in would start) would affect my receiving the trade-in credit?

Apologies if it's a confusing situation, any help or insight is appreciated.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I only looked at a few reviews, but I was a lot more impressed by the Max photos vs normal Pro than I expected to be. I expected the bigger sensor to be pretty unnoticeable, but it did a lot better with lower light situations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Looks like all the USB-C adapters/cables that were on sale at Amazon and Monoprice had price increases. Shoulda pulled the trigger.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Endless Mike posted:

They gave a greater than 0 to a laptop that had touchpad drivers so broken that it somehow managed to erase itself.

That's every touchpad that isn't Apple's. :smug:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ragequit posted:

I watched this for a little bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrzCLgDplTw

And holy gently caress he kept swapping which side of the screen the Pro Max and the Mini was on for side-by-side photo comparisons. Why would you do that. I was so annoying I stopped watching.

So that you don't create a bias into assuming which one is better lol.

Glad I didn't go for the Pro Max, not having that camera seems to be a non-issue.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ijyt posted:

So that you don't create a bias into assuming which one is better lol.

That actually makes sense. Just have never seen it done before. It annoyed me since it was moving quick and I had to frequently pause to check the label and review.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 10, 2020

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
ya the camera on the pro max isnt a big leap forward but if you like hueg screens and tons of battery thats the phone

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ragequit posted:

That actually makes sense. Just have never seen it done before. It annoyed me since it was moving quick and I had to frequently pause to check the label and review.

Honestly I find with youtube's compression any reasonable difference is hard to notice anyway. I think in general for the 12 Pro Max camera discussion, any time I want proper low light performance, I'm bringing my DSLR. Having something unwieldly for a little bit of time beats having a giant gently caress-off phone for everything that isn't photography.

Doesn't apply to everyone of course, but I'm more than happy with the 12 Pro photos, especially on the screen they're being viewed on 90% of the time is a phone. And it's a night and day difference versus the 6S.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Can you disable 5G for the sake of battery life? I do not give a poo poo about 5G lol

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

enojy posted:

Can you disable 5G for the sake of battery life? I do not give a poo poo about 5G lol

Yes you can.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Duckman2008 posted:

Got approved for a work iPhone 12, so for once I’ll be lucky enough to trial in real time of the 12 is “too big” compared to my current 11 Pro (I think because it’s thinner it’ll be fine).

Mini looks great, if I could get one with the 3 camera I probably would. That said, I’ll likely cave and upgrade to a 12 Pro. Why stop the yearly upgrade streak now ?

I thought the X/Xs/11 pro size was great. I got a 12 pro this year. At first it felt a little too big. It took me a few days to adjust. The bigger screen is noticeably nicer for watching videos though. Other than that I haven't found anything being better on the bigger screen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

serebralassazin posted:

I thought the X/Xs/11 pro size was great. I got a 12 pro this year. At first it felt a little too big. It took me a few days to adjust. The bigger screen is noticeably nicer for watching videos though. Other than that I haven't found anything being better on the bigger screen.

Yeah, I think would take the 5.8” screen over 6.1” any day. But without a choice I guess I might compromise.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Loucks posted:

How are the Beats Flex earbuds? I want to replace my wired EarPods and know that if I buy AirPods they will end up in a sink full of soapy water when they fall out while I’m doing dishes. The Flex seem like an ok alternative? My use case is primarily work calls, but decent sound quality for music would be nice. Stretch goal is staying in while I run.

I bought some primarily because I wanted something with controls for podcasts.
I prefer EarPods for day to day use for not blocking out all external sound. I feel like if I used Beats Flex for calls then I'd be yelling into the mic a lot.
I suspect they would stay in fine while running due to the rubber tips.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Oh hay, at least the bug where updating a 3rd party browser or mail app reset the default seems to be fixed in 14.2, weirdly I didn’t see this mentioned in the release notes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Gruber's :words:: https://daringfireball.net/2020/11/the_iphone_12_mini_and_iphone_12_pro_max

About the mini's battery he mentions the rated numbers (I added the SE and Pro Max for extra reference here):
code:
				SE		12 mini		12/12 Pro	12 Pro Max
Video playback			13 hours	15 hours	17 hours	20 hours
Video playback (streamed)	 8 hours	10 hours	11 hours	12 hours
Audio playback			40 hours	50 hours	65 hours	80 hours

quote:

To be pedantic, Apple prefixes all of these times with “up to”, but for the sake of relative comparison, that shouldn’t matter. My interpretation of these results is that audio playback, with the display off, is a pure test of the battery size, so the 12 Mini’s battery is probably close to 77 percent the size of the 12’s. But the video playback numbers are around 90 percent, which I think is fair to assume is explained by the fact that the 12 Mini’s smaller display consumes less energy.

So as a ballpark tidy single number, based on Apple’s quoted specs for video and audio playback, let’s just say the iPhone 12 Mini gets about 85 percent of the battery life the iPhone 12 does. That jibes with my personal experience, which I’ve measured only subjectively.

Now, I used the hell out of the iPhone 12 Mini over the past week. I was pretty much glued to cable TV news for days after last Tuesday’s election, and the iPhone 12 Mini was my main device sitting on the couch for those very long days. Email, Twitter, Safari, Messages, Twitter, Safari, Twitter, Messages, Safari. More Twitter. Almost all of it using the iPhone 12 Mini, and if not the Mini, the 12 Pro Max. 85 percent sounds about right.
And I noticed the Pro Max having a big rear end camera block relative to the other phones in the recent videos, so I can understand why the bigger sensors and such were big phone only, but he pointed out the lenses are noticeably thicker too:

quote:

My review unit kit included one case for the 12 Pro Max — Apple’s leather case — and it has a raised plastic lip around the camera module cutout to protect the lenses. This lip is raised enough that the 12 Pro Max, in the case, has about as much wobble laying flat on a table as it does without a case. In previous years, Apple’s cases leveled out the bump from the camera(s). The Pro Max lenses protrude too far for that.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Weedle posted:

all this grousing about batteries from early reviewers has me second-guessing my 12 mini preorder. it's already "preparing to ship" so i guess i may as well try it when it gets here. i might send it back and get the regular 12 though unless i totally fall in love with the size. it does look very cute i must say

i honestly think that reviewers use their phones way way more often than most normal people. which is fair enough for putting the thing through its paces but these people are spending 6+ hours with the screen on. who does that in normal use?

granted i've never had a problem with the iphone's battery life even when i used social media (notorious battery hog) a lot more. I'm even still happy with the battery life on my almost 3 year old X, but that's mainly because I'm not leaving the house much what with All This. use of the cellular radios does seem to kill it pretty quickly. will prob replace it with a mini come the new year

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
FYI if you had issues with optimized charging on your phone after iOS 14, i've solved it on mine with these steps

-upgrade to 14.2
-turn charge management off
-reboot device
-turn charge management on

turning charge management off and on without a reboot only refreshes the settting pane, no effect on the charge logic.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Generic Monk posted:

i honestly think that reviewers use their phones way way more often than most normal people. which is fair enough for putting the thing through its paces but these people are spending 6+ hours with the screen on. who does that in normal use?

- The unemployed,
- renters with super tiny "apartments" in Asia,
- people with unlimited LTE as their only internet service, :911: :banjo: :canada:
- kids who don't have a hand me down pc/tablet/smart tv (don't even suggest consoles, they're all way too unresponsive with their inbuilt browsers),
- C-levels that never use a computer because they don't have any real responsibilities outside of taking meetings, calls, emails, and texts,
- people traveling,
- the hospitalized,
- people addicted to youtube/tiktok/mobile games/twitter/etc.
- if you charge every other day on an iPhone 11, you can do that with normal 3-3.5 hours a day use
- people that spend long periods on deployment (army, navy, sea shipping, commercial fishing, etc.) without necessarily having private quarters

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 10, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

😬

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Generic Monk posted:

I do, I use mine all day at work.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

- The unemployed,
- renters with super tiny "apartments" in Asia,
- people with unlimited LTE as their only internet service, :911: :banjo: :canada:
- kids who don't have a hand me down pc/tablet/smart tv (don't even suggest consoles, they're all way too unresponsive with their inbuilt browsers),
- C-levels that never use a computer because they don't have any real responsibilities outside of taking meetings, calls, emails, and texts,
- people traveling,
- the hospitalized,
- people addicted to youtube/tiktok/mobile games/twitter/etc.
- if you charge every other day on an iPhone 11, you can do that with normal 3-3.5 hours a day use
- people that spend long periods on deployment (army, navy, sea shipping, commercial fishing, etc.) without necessarily having private quarters

yeah true enough; i guess as the likelihood of it being your only device increases the benefits of an oversized screen and battery become more apparent. i try to use my phone less and use 'the right tool for the job' (e.g. a kindle) which tickles my patrician nerd sense but isn't remotely mainstream

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Back when I used to work a blue collar job operating an extrusion line in a cable factory, I easily spent up to 6-7 hours on my phone most days, because of sufficient semi-automation.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

FYI if you had issues with optimized charging on your phone after iOS 14, i've solved it on mine with these steps

-upgrade to 14.2
-turn charge management off
-reboot device
-turn charge management on

turning charge management off and on without a reboot only refreshes the settting pane, no effect on the charge logic.

:lol:

I turned it off, and did a reboot, and it was automatically turned on again. I've tried it a few times and rebooting the device automatically turns it back on.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:lol:

I turned it off, and did a reboot, and it was automatically turned on again. I've tried it a few times and rebooting the device automatically turns it back on.

same

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
When you get a new iPhone direct from Apple, at what point does it become active on your phone number, as soon as you turn it on, or do you have to get a little bit into the setup process?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
On my xr optimized charge wasn't switched on if i disabled it and rebooted so 🤷‍♂️

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

frogbs posted:

When you get a new iPhone direct from Apple, at what point does it become active on your phone number, as soon as you turn it on, or do you have to get a little bit into the setup process?

You activate it during the setup process.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I got my black leather 12PM case today. A lot of these reviews make it seem like the phone is a behemoth to handle, but it's really not that much bigger than my 11 Pro Max in its leather case. The sides are more blocky, obviously, but the difference in size is barely noticeable. Off raw numbers, this is what I expected, but every review touts it as this phone that's too almost too big or definitely too big.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Weedle posted:

I think it should be fine. My experience with battery life on the regular 11 and regular 12 has been stellar, to the point where I can almost go three days without charging so long as I don't play games. Just light web browsing, texting, etc. If the mini has worse battery life it should still be pretty drat good.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Some of these pro max camera reviews show a shocking level of ignorance of photography and the camera app itself. I'm genuinely curious why some of the more "camera focused" youtube channels are saying there are genuine differences in pro max and pro cameras, while the general tech reviewers are posting incompetent, washed out photos as a basis for comparison. Seeing reviewers take photos without even tapping for focus/light, or do any kind of rudimentary post processing for portraits. I get it, a lot of people will be snapping photos without ever touching anything but the shutter button, but it's been the most curious review season ever watching these people come to completely disparate conclusions.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Shammypants posted:

Some of these pro max camera reviews show a shocking level of ignorance of photography and the camera app itself. I'm genuinely curious why some of the more "camera focused" youtube channels are saying there are genuine differences in pro max and pro cameras, while the general tech reviewers are posting incompetent, washed out photos as a basis for comparison. Seeing reviewers take photos without even tapping for focus/light, or do any kind of rudimentary post processing for portraits. I get it, a lot of people will be snapping photos without ever touching anything but the shutter button, but it's been the most curious review season ever watching these people come to completely disparate conclusions.

I don't understand how it's curious at all, it's explained by the difference in how much reviewers focus on photography that you already brought up, including the kinds of scenarios they use for test shots.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Shammypants posted:

Idk, I feel like the general consensus is, "yes the camera is better, but you won't notice it in most cases." It's a slightly better iPhone camera, but it's still an iPhone camera, and realistically all of the iPhone cameras this year can accomplish very similar (if not impossible-to-tell-apart) results under typical lighting conditions. I think the obvious takeaway is it's not worth getting the bigger phone just for the camera (unless you also want the biggest phone).

I think part of the difference in the reviews is that people who take photos or video "professionally" know that nice-looking low light photos rely on good lighting, while people who are a less experienced are spending more time zooming in on a lovely photo of a stuffed animal in a dark room and showing it has less noise. That's great — and technically it's an improvement — but the photo sucks, and if the lighting was good any recent iPhone would do a fine job (relative to iPhone photo quality).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the 12 camera using nightmode in a dimly lit room (afternoon sun and blinds closed so some light leakage) took a photo that was less grainy/noisy than an iphone XS in overcast outdoor light.

its a pretty big jump in processing capability.

I think Im gonna miss 2x zoom though.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 11, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Laserface posted:

the 12 camera using nightmode in a dimly rit room (afternoon sun and blinds closed so some light leakage) took a photo that was less grainy/noisy than an iphone XS in overcast outdoor light.

its a pretty big jump in processing capability.

I think Im gonna miss 2x zoom though.

you spin me rit room, baby

rit room

like a record, baby

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
ruh roh, Raggy

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Ok Comboomer posted:

ruh roh, Raggy

christ alive is that Fivey Fox

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Almost all tech reviewers are people who have no technical knowledge, just product knowledge, who basically just had a first mover advantage. And yes, that includes MKBHD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

buglord posted:

christ alive is that Fivey Fox

that’s his eyes and glasses, yes