Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Truga posted:

iirc one billion americans is an insane rant about how china is gonna get ahead because they have so many people therefore amerika also needs many people, but maybe i've mixed something up

Lebensraum to ensure the future american race.

Literally virtue signalling Nazi germany with the one billion americans bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lebensraum to ensure the future american race.

Literally virtue signalling Nazi germany with the one billion americans bullshit

It's actually boring zoning deregulation neolib poo poo from what I've read.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I watched an author interview.

Key planks:
  • We can get there:
    • Increase immigration (by a lot)
    • Decrease costs of kids
  • We can live there:
    • Increase urban density
    • Focus on transit-oriented development and the like
  • It'd be fine:
    • We'd still be less dense than many countries.
    • At 1b, we'd only have the pop. density of about France.
So, basically:
  • If you want in, come in.
  • If you want kids, have em'.
  • You live in a walkable, transit-oriented neighborhood.

He also pitched the value of having big, optimistic ideas kicking around.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Accretionist posted:

Matty has channeled the neoliberal zeitgeist to distill an optimistic vision of the future, and it boils down to a population size variant of MAKE MORE CORES.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ubachung posted:

lol that the guy building wind turbines gets continually probated while the one advocating for fracking continues to dribble all over the thread. It's pretty much a microcosm of the world at large, and a good reminder of why we're all hosed.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

Accretionist posted:

I watched an author interview.

Key planks:
  • We can get there:
    • Increase immigration (by a lot)
    • Decrease costs of kids
  • We can live there:
    • Increase urban density
    • Focus on transit-oriented development and the like
  • It'd be fine:
    • We'd still be less dense than many countries.
    • At 1b, we'd only have the pop. density of about France.
So, basically:
  • If you want in, come in.
  • If you want kids, have em'.
  • You live in a walkable, transit-oriented neighborhood.

Just have big optimstic ideas and keep that economic growth machine going, hell yeah

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

galenanorth posted:

yes, exactly

I haven't really even listened to even one of her speeches

I have only ever heard one of her speeches and it was in person and I was just there to hoot and holler at the government for being poo poo on climate change. 10/10 would hoot and holler again.

It was a solid speech. Facts and figures and science and poo poo is all well and good but there's a lot to be said for the power of solidarity with people who know and understand that they are going to be just as screwed as you. She did a great job of directing the anger and frustration at those who hold the levers of power. Probably would have a bit more impactful if we had about 10x the number of attendees and we set a wendy's on fire instead of dispersing peacefully, but movements like these are the best we have. Of course that probably means we are doomed but that ain't nothing new.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Chinese parasites and yellow hordes

Please stop posting this racist poo poo. I get that you are making accusations about someone else but that excuse falls a little flat when you are the one typing it out and not them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Please stop posting this racist poo poo. I get that you are making accusations about someone else but that excuse falls a little flat when you are the one typing it out and not them.

Sorry. I a merely trying to outline the level of racism displayed by Time. Saying 'i don't trust chinese to respect intellectual property"
Is lukewarm whereas the comment I posted is pretty extreme in terms of xenophobia.

Also I love your candy.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If he said it, you can quote it.

If he didn't, you're just a guy who thinks accusations are a loophole for inappropriate public behavior.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rime posted:

If micro lofts like those hipster conversions down in Gastown were a lot more common, and renting for $300-$500 a month, I'd happily snap one up. Hell, I'd jump to buy one if they were less than $70k and I'm sure there's plenty of 20-something freespirited bachelors/ettes who feel the same.

Indebting myself for life on the other hand, or continuing to support some rentier-class boomer/chinese parasites? Nah, fuuuuuck that.

Leaving my choices: A. Convert a van that I can bring with me as I move for work. B. Cycle through lovely short-term roommate flop houses whenever I'm back in the country between contracts. :shrug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
To add to WCG's quote...

Rime posted:

The problem enters when you are renting from Asian absentee landlords who are waiting to flip the wreck for land value. My poor (literally) mothers basement and roof are both flooding, and the squinty eyed motherfuckers are just trying to force her to move by refusing to fix anything.

It's hard to know the foundation is shot when you're renting the upstairs and they put on the facade of being super caring landlords looking for long term tenants.

Also Rime posted:

Gypsies are the worst. People who've never been to eastern europe go all bleeding heart when they hear locals talk about the gypsies but seriously.

Seriously. gently caress the gypsies.

Still Rime posted:

Fly all you want, peeps, because worthless lives in the tropics are emitting more carbon than the entire EU, purely through their rampant and unstoppable deforestation efforts.

But, y'know, your flight to visit your ailing aunt is the real crime here.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Guess who? posted:

Nah. This is going to turn out like the debacle in the 80s where psychologists were convincing patients that their parents raped them. Or when we were castrating boys to turn them into girls at birth. Or any time we've meddled with the human psyche, really, our track record is garbage.

I can't wait for the impending oops moment, where an entire generation ends up hosed in the head because they have no idea what gender they actually are anymore, and demand employers use pronouns like Zys/Zy/Ze. The decline of the west is glorious to behold.

But, as in so many things, anyone expressing the idea that things are getting out of hand will just be vilified as hating the queers, even queer people!

And that's just the stuff he's been probated for. I remember a ton more of that poo poo, but I'm not going through his hosed-up posting history to get it.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

yeah, anyone saying free Rime or whatever has either not read this thread or has read this thread and is onboard with the likes of what was posted by him. I get that a lot of his technical input was very interesting but his social thinking was really very simple and consequently horrific. The only thing that made it seem deep is that after being probated so many times, he took to talking sideways about what he really wanted for the worlds poor or unwanted.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
okay, let's stop this conversation right loving here

this is the climate change thread, not a thread for discussing some threadbanned guy's posting history at length

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

are you saying you want us to change the climate in here?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Electric Wrigglies posted:

are you saying you want us to change the climate in here?

The thread’s climate changes regularly for no fracking rime or reason.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Right, back to cheering on for fracking.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sundae posted:

The thread’s climate changes regularly for no fracking rime or reason.

Climate Change: Fracking Rime or Reason

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Climate Change: No frac'ing, Rime, or Reason

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Saki posted:

Right, back to cheering on for fracking.

Shouting “clean bridge fuel” as the asteroid looms larger in the sky. It’s ridiculous to frame any action concerning natural gas or fracking that isn’t completely stopping it as anything but climate change denialism. It sows cynicism as it treats the problem as if it isn’t the existential threat that needs radical change now. I think it may be even more harmful than Republicans flat out denying climate change as it steals the air out of the room and blocks one of the few possible lanes forward for legislation in the states. The democrats cronyism with industry insiders and martial stance concerning the military and China are effectively eliminating any future that isn’t just a fortress that keeps out the poors and continues to run up the score. Quotes about technocratic strategies from 10+ years ago are irrelevant as our position is so much more dire now.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1323306979314589696?s=19

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

30 years ago was loving 1990. None of this was even close to a secret back then.

Like I agree with the sentiment, but it's more like 70 years by now that fossil fuel companies have been working with active malfeasance over the whole climate change issue, and it's been known about as an academic issue for like 150 years.

We're so hosed.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

This is a little shocking:

Science Daily posted:

Warming of 2°C would release billions of tons of soil carbon

November 2, 2020
University of Exeter

Global warming of 2°C would lead to about 230 billion tons of carbon being released from the world's soil, new research suggests.

Global soils contain two to three times more carbon than the atmosphere, and higher temperatures speed up decomposition -- reducing the amount of time carbon spends in the soil (known as "soil carbon turnover").

The new international research study, led by the University of Exeter, reveals the sensitivity of soil carbon turnover to global warming and subsequently halves uncertainty about this in future climate change projections.

The estimated 230 billion tonnes of carbon released at 2°C warming (above pre-industrial levels) is more than four times the total emissions from China, and more than double the emissions from the USA, over the last 100 years.

"Our study rules out the most extreme projections -- but nonetheless suggests substantial soil carbon losses due to climate change at only 2°C warming, and this doesn't even include losses of deeper permafrost carbon," said co-author Dr Sarah Chadburn, of the University of Exeter.

"We investigated how soil carbon is related to temperature in different locations on Earth to work out its sensitivity to global warming," said lead author Rebecca Varney, of the University of Exeter.

State-of-the-art models suggest an uncertainty of about 120 billion tonnes of carbon at 2°C global mean warming.

The study reduces this uncertainty to about 50 billion tonnes of carbon.

The absolute magnitude of the carbon release at just 2C warming is bad enough. The improved uncertainty estimate suggests this scale massive positive feedback isn't just speculation but a fairly plausible outcome for a level of warming we'll almost certainly surpass.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the best thing is that all the methane release gives us a potential ~6 degrees on top of 2 degrees

oh also, at ~8 degrees cloud cover starts failing which will increase heat on the surface by another 12 degrees in the next couple hundred years

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Listening to market place new renewable (solar or wind) + maintenance is cheaper than only nat gas maintenance now.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Accretionist posted:

What length and subjects did you have in mind?

Brief explainers of different levels of warming:

(Note: We're on track for ~+5C by 2100)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GjrS8QbHmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xplesDv5hl0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqgbR3UK0es

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWoiBpfvdx0

Accretionist posted:

A prescient talk from 2010:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc_4Z1oiXhY

Highlight: At 39:30, he remarks on water-sharing agreements between India-Pakistan as a possible flashpoint.

Both of these were exactly the type I was looking for. Thank you.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Truga posted:

the best thing is that all the methane release gives us a potential ~6 degrees on top of 2 degrees

oh also, at ~8 degrees cloud cover starts failing which will increase heat on the surface by another 12 degrees in the next couple hundred years

i'm certain that if that increase were starting to happen we'd see some truly ridiculous measures being taken, like using massive solar shades to cut down on the sunlight that reaches earth.

don't mistake this for my endorsement of a technocratic "solution" because it would be difficult for plants to, you know, thrive in such an environment and i still like plants

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm fascinated by governmental response to climate change in general, I'm fairly sure the first step will be 'keep those refugees out' but beyond that I dunno

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Walton Simons posted:

I'm fascinated by governmental response to climate change in general, I'm fairly sure the first step will be 'keep those refugees out' but beyond that I dunno

Don't be so sure. Look at the megafarms in Spain.

There's always room for slave cheap labor! :shepicide:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i'm certain that if that increase were starting to happen we'd see some truly ridiculous measures being taken, like using massive solar shades to cut down on the sunlight that reaches earth.

don't mistake this for my endorsement of a technocratic "solution" because it would be difficult for plants to, you know, thrive in such an environment and i still like plants

I used to think this but the international response to the covid pandemic demonstrated that we will in fact choose the worst option even in the face of total catastrophe. When we're firmly on the RCP8.5 pathway in 2040 we'll continue to operate the coal/natural gas plants being built today because they'll have another 20 years operational lifetime and investors need their returns. When the impacts of climate change become impossible to deny the excuse will shift seamlessly from "climate change isn't real" to "there's nothing to be done", similar to govts currently claiming that eliminating the coronavirus is impossible and we need to learn to live with it.

Some regions might try to do the right thing but the vast majority of the world will not.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

When we're firmly on the RCP8.5 pathway in 2040 we'll continue to operate the coal/natural gas plants being built today because they'll have another 20 years operational lifetime and investors need their returns.

Investors are being told right now that they aren’t going to get 20 years out of new natural gas power plants. They’re nonviable for capital right now compared to solar/wind.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Nocturtle posted:

This is a little shocking:

The absolute magnitude of the carbon release at just 2C warming is bad enough. The improved uncertainty estimate suggests this scale massive positive feedback isn't just speculation but a fairly plausible outcome for a level of warming we'll almost certainly surpass.

Errrr, gently caress. Trying hard to find holes in the original paper atm. Paper goes over my head unfortunately. Trying to figure out the timeframe for the release. Seems to be a decade?

Saki fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 3, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There goes the last off ramp.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Saki posted:

Errrr, gently caress. Trying hard to find holes in the original paper atm. Paper goes over my head unfortunately. Trying to figure out the timeframe for the release. Seems to be a decade?

its a log curve over 400 years, the vast majority of it will happen after 2100, by which point we'll have already been destroyed by several other things (or the vulcans will save us)

same as sea level rise

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arglebargle III posted:

There goes the last off ramp.

That was Bush-Gore. The rest is disaster mitigation

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

MightyBigMinus posted:

its a log curve over 400 years, the vast majority of it will happen after 2100, by which point we'll have already been destroyed by several other things (or the vulcans will save us)

same as sea level rise

Yeah, a lot of it seems to be long-term at least. Bit of a relief. Still some release going on nearer the equator fairly rapidly but nowhere near as a bad as it seems initially.

Arglebargle IV
Oct 5, 2020

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Investors are being told right now that they aren’t going to get 20 years out of new natural gas power plants. They’re nonviable for capital right now compared to solar/wind.

Good news for once

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
and only 30 years too late!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

redleader posted:

and only 30 years too late!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but can anyone help me understand what Gates meant by this? How do vaccines and healthcare reduce population? This is one of the key things the conspiracy theorists' argument boils down to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaF-fq2Zn7I