Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FiskTireBoy posted:

Wait are drive throughs maybe a bad idea? I always wear a mask when I go through one, most of them have contactless payment now, and the worker always wears a masks and usually gloves too. It does piss me off that I'm like the only customer wearing a mask though.

Yeah, we still do our normal level of drivethroughs since none of us can cook. Most places where I live don't have contactless though, and the few that do they tend to get pissy if you actually ask to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I've seen absolutely nothing to indicate that drive thrus are a significant vector of virus transmission. Both people should of course wear masks.

Contact is fleeting, air exchange is minimal.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

boar guy posted:

i get it, in soccer size matters less than in other sports. but i have coached just about every kid in my city on a team at some point and none of them- NONE OF THEM- are good enough or dedicated enough to be professional athletes, no matter how much money their parents throw at trying to make them in to one

a goalkeeping scholarship to a division D school? yeah, maybe.

i mean, real talk, someone with that kind of height who could make up for their lack of such by being excessively chonky would probably do OK as a lineman in football

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Going to hit golf balls was pretty loving stupid tbh, considerably more stupid than getting drive thru food.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

how is golf risky

maybe i don't have the background of this particular golf outing but how is it any different than going to a park?

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
Something I've been wondering about since this whole pandemic began is just how people are catching the virus? What I mean is, is there any data showing the most common ways people have caught it? Like if I had to guess, it would be doing really normal every day things like going to the grocery store (since basically everyone has to do that) or maybe it's something like going to bars? Or it's people doing really dumb poo poo like going to parties? I don't know if it would even be possible to get this info since I guess it would rely on people knowing how they got and being willing to divulge the info.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Inept posted:

how is golf risky

maybe i don't have the background of this particular golf outing but how is it any different than going to a park?

Top Golf isn't quiet as outside as a normal golf thing would be (its in a bay) but they were doing a good job with the cleaning and distancing.

FiskTireBoy posted:

Something I've been wondering about since this whole pandemic began is just how people are catching the virus? What I mean is, is there any data showing the most common ways people have caught it? Like if I had to guess, it would be doing really normal every day things like going to the grocery store (since basically everyone has to do that) or maybe it's something like going to bars? Or it's people doing really dumb poo poo like going to parties? I don't know if it would even be possible to get this info since I guess it would rely on people knowing how they got and being willing to divulge the info.

Its like from 0 (staying home alone at all times) to 10 (large indoor party). Last I heard its sort of like 15 mins cumulative time around an infected person over the course of a day raises the risk a lot.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
I wonder how much the virus has been spread through contaminated surfaces. I hear that it's not very good at spreading that way.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Mostly our contact tracing is a shambles so it's not super clear. We know it spreads on surfaces as well as person-to-person. We know some things are really bad ideas. We know eating at restaurants is tied to getting it. We know going to social gatherings is tied to getting it.

A lot of people are going "well it hasn't been proven people got it from X, therefore X must be fine." Which isn't remotely how logic works.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FiskTireBoy posted:

Something I've been wondering about since this whole pandemic began is just how people are catching the virus?
It's mostly social gatherings with other people and indoor dining/bars.

https://twitter.com/DrZoeHyde/status/1320755362685808641?s=19

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

anythinf I like is safe and cool
Anything anyone else likes is bad and dangerous

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FiskTireBoy posted:

Wait are drive throughs maybe a bad idea? I always wear a mask when I go through one, most of them have contactless payment now, and the worker always wears a masks and usually gloves too. It does piss me off that I'm like the only customer wearing a mask though.

You're coming within 6 feet of someone with you both wearing a mask for 15 seconds.

You will certainly die.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Inept posted:

how is golf risky

It's not. It's 2 people staying nowhere near each other. Unless they feel like they want to. Golf isn't a contact sport so you can stay 50 feet away from your friend if you want to.

Doing anything isn't 100% safe, but golfing is like going for a walk and passing 10 feet from someone else going on a walk.

In other words. You'll die.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Outdoors stuff like that is totally reasonable thing to do right now. I'm having a bit of an LOL at the people who go to spin classes during all this. Get a real bike. :smug:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

numberoneposter posted:

Outdoors stuff like that is totally reasonable thing to do right now. I'm having a bit of an LOL at the people who go to spin classes during all this. Get a real bike. :smug:

Now THAT, being in a room with 20 other people who are sweating and breathing heavily is just completely stupid. That's where I would go if I took a bet with a friend about who could get covid 19 first.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It's not. It's 2 people staying nowhere near each other. Unless they feel like they want to. Golf isn't a contact sport so you can stay 50 feet away from your friend if you want to.

Doing anything isn't 100% safe, but golfing is like going for a walk and passing 10 feet from someone else going on a walk.

In other words. You'll die.

If you aren't tackling people while you play golf then what the gently caress are you even doing??

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Pfizer vaccine is some good news. I also really appreciate that they waited a week until after election day to make the announcement. :v:

In other news, Victoria Australia posted yet another day with zero new cases or deaths, plus there are now zero active cases among health workers
https://twitter.com/VicGovDHHS/status/1325724865597485061

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Here's the most brain-meltingly terrible pie chart imaginable, showing sources of infections since someone asked earlier. This is Illinois.

Also going to post this in the lovely graphs thread, but good info if you can somehow read it.

https://www.wglt.org/post/state-releases-contact-tracing-data-one-day-covid-19-caseload-tops-10000

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 10, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I find it hard for a gym to be that low on the list.

But I'm not an epidemiologist.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
http://www.dph.illinois.gov/covid19/outbreak-locations?regionID=0&rPeriod=1
Latest data has a different order.

e: Be sure to pick Statewide on the dropdown, it bizarrely redirects to a sub-region.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 10, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
That is amazingly different lol

Be sure to select statewide

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pro starcraft loser posted:

Its like from 0 (staying home alone at all times) to 10 (large indoor party). Last I heard its sort of like 15 mins cumulative time around an infected person over the course of a day raises the risk a lot.

Yeah but those probabilities are also spread over millions of cases across the entire world. If there's only a 0.1% chance that you'll catch it at a drivethru but ten million people get drivethru every day then that would add ~10,000 additional cases and an eventual ~100 additional deaths (and who knows how many people with permanent heart damage, etc) to the total every day, even though the activity is "99.9% safe". That's not even taking into account all the additional infections that would happen after those people spread it to their families and co-workers.

Now consider all the other activities that some people keep doing every day because there's only the slimmest chance they'll catch the virus: refuelling their car, going to the post office, chatting with their neighbour, using an elevator in an office, using a touch pad to pay for something, etc etc etc. Every time you think of a new "99.9% safe" activity add another 10,000 infections and 100 deaths onto the daily total. And then let's assume that each of the people who got infected also infected 1 other person they know, so double all those numbers.

It all adds up, and the longer it keeps adding up the longer the pandemic lasts, and the more chances you have of catching it yourself.

dwarf74 posted:

Here's the most brain-meltingly terrible pie chart imaginable, showing sources of infections since someone asked earlier. This is Illinois.

Also going to post this in the lovely graphs thread, but good info if you can somehow read it.

https://www.wglt.org/post/state-releases-contact-tracing-data-one-day-covid-19-caseload-tops-10000

gently caress me that's a bad pie chart. The fact that they separated out "factory" and "food production facility" and "office" and "workplace" etc from each other is pretty terrible (same with education, etc), but the fact that they didn't group them into collective categories of work/school/recreational is also terrible.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Just need better research and understanding of the building that have lead to spread. Low air exchange versus worker proximity/duration

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Data from pretty much every country is saying the same thing, we had a similar pie chart for ontario.

This is for outbreaks not cases but still:

Starks fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 10, 2020

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

gently caress me that's a bad pie chart. The fact that they separated out "factory" and "food production facility" and "office" and "workplace" etc from each other is pretty terrible (same with education, etc), but the fact that they didn't group them into collective categories of work/school/recreational is also terrible.

It was clearly made by someone with an agenda to cover their own butt. By breaking all that stuff out of broad categories they can point out how private industry and private education is mostly responsible for exposures.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

Performative social distancing amirite

There does seem to be a theme - and I'm not applying this to anyone in particular ITT, just people in general - that social distancing is in fact a penance we are paying to appease the Corona God, rather than a precaution against a disease.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xaintrailles posted:

http://www.dph.illinois.gov/covid19/outbreak-locations?regionID=0&rPeriod=1
Latest data has a different order.

e: Be sure to pick Statewide on the dropdown, it bizarrely redirects to a sub-region.

So it seems like people working is the #1 spreader.

ARE ECONOMY!!!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Starks posted:

Data from pretty much every country is saying the same thing, we had a similar pie chart for ontario.

This is for outbreaks not cases but still:

Is it percentage of total cases coming from those areas or percentage of people getting covid doing that activity? Because there aren't a whole lot of people that go to the gym compared to all of those other activities.

You know, like as a stupid example, 1% of total cases come from gyms, or 50% of people who go to gyms get the virus.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 10, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i got between caring a lot and not caring at all

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

FiskTireBoy posted:

I figure the the main risk of drive-throughs is the food itself, since whoever's slapping the burger parts together is breathing all over it. But that's equally true of any prepared food.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Presumably it is to avoid allowing people to easily compare 'voluntary' infections (bar/gym/restaurant/etc) against 'involuntary' (work/school/prison/etc), so as to come to the correct conclusion.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Pfizer vaccine is some good news. I also really appreciate that they waited a week until after election day to make the announcement. :v:

Ha ha ha ha I beat Trump to the punchline

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1325962203346972678
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1325961445062938625

I don't think he's joking when he says it, though ...

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 10, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
LOL that little bitch.

I do really hope they did that purposely though.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Is it percentage of total cases coming from those areas or percentage of people getting covid doing that activity? Because there aren't a whole lot of people that go to the gym compared to all of those other activities.

You know, like as a stupid example, 1% of total cases come from gyms, or 50% of people who go to gyms get the virus.

It's percentage of "outbreaks", so you're right, although you don't really need to adjust per capita if you're figuring out what the public health effect is. Any way you slice it though, gyms have not been as infectious as people thought they would be back in march:

https://www.europeactive.eu/news/safeactive-study-%E2%80%93-preliminary-results-showing-extremely-low-levels-covid-19-risk-fitness-clubs
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.24.20138768v2

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Starks posted:

It's percentage of "outbreaks", so you're right, although you don't really need to adjust per capita if you're figuring out what the public health effect is. Any way you slice it though, gyms have not been as infectious as people thought they would be back in march:

https://www.europeactive.eu/news/safeactive-study-%E2%80%93-preliminary-results-showing-extremely-low-levels-covid-19-risk-fitness-clubs

The gym-goers I know who were going right up until they were shut down and the instant they reopened would lie about where they got it to keep gyms open. Then again they'd still go if there was a doorman who fatally shot every 100th person entering the gym.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The US posted +102,726 on worldometers on a Sunday, and that's with five states not reporting

That's a big ol' yikes
Worldometers just updated the US Sunday count to +109, 659, and posted +125,689 for Monday.

Those are increases of 43% and 40.8% above last week's Sun/Mon totals. :stonk:

E: if the rest of the week's results are also up by that much then the US will hit +180k on Thursday or Friday. The first time they passed the +100k mark was Friday two weeks ago.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 10, 2020

naem
May 29, 2011

I quietly stocked back up on tp and necessities today, shelf stable food, toiletries, things I wouldn’t want to have to go get during a lockdown

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Worldometers just updated the US Sunday count to +109, 659, and posted +125,689 for Monday.

Those are increases of 43% and 40.8% above last week's Sun/Mon totals. :stonk:

E: if the rest of the week's results are also up by that much then the US will hit +180k on Thursday or Friday. The first time they passed the +100k mark was Friday two weeks ago.

I wonder how much of those cases are due to trump rallies

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What percentage of the total population regularly go to a gym? Even if 100% of gym attendees got covid it still won't be a huge percentage of cases, because if gyms are open so is everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
^^^ Read the follow up posts.

Starks posted:

Hey! I can continue not going to the gym again!

I really need to start exercising again. Sad brains. :smith:

naem posted:

I quietly stocked back up on tp and necessities today, shelf stable food, toiletries, things I wouldn’t want to have to go get during a lockdown

poo poo, that might not be a bad idea.

edit: just went to a big 24 hour grocery store at 11pm with about 3 customers in it. I got a bunch of canned goods and flour and baking soda and stuff. Although, they didn't have yeast. I thought that whole thing was over. I mean I still see goons and FB people post about it all the time though. I've never made regular bread but have made decent Irish soda bread before.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 10, 2020