Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

sean10mm posted:

A lot of the B550M boards are kind of ridiculously good values if you don't need tons of USB ports, though the Mortar is creeping into nice ATX board prices now that I think about it.

Like a B550M Bazooka is just a better version of the B450 Tomahawk MAX that used to be our baseline recommendation, and the prices on those have dropped to like $110.

Ah okay, I just checked the specs and yeah it does seem like a solid board as long as the VRMs are decent. I could understand choosing it over an atx at similar cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

sean10mm posted:

(Suggestions)

Since you're suggesting them the meshify-C white I have an aesthetic suggestion. Just a question if this cooler will be all right for 5600x or not.

This guy:
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-U1...ctronics&sr=1-3

And this heatsink cover:
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-HC...tronics&sr=1-16

It should look really swanky and professional inside the meshify C white.

I have a chromax balck noctua dh-15 with 2 white chromax heatsink covers and it looks fantastic.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Spacedad posted:

Since you're suggesting them the meshify-C white I have an aesthetic suggestion. Just a question if this cooler will be all right for 5600x or not.

This guy:
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-U1...ctronics&sr=1-3

And this heatsink cover:
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-HC...tronics&sr=1-16

It should look really swanky and professional inside the meshify C white.

I have a chromax balck noctua dh-15 with 2 white chromax heatsink covers and it looks fantastic.

I just left their own case choice unchanged, I prefer solid black windowless monoliths. :ninja:

mune
Sep 23, 2006

sean10mm posted:

3700X isn't a great choice if gaming is your main focus anymore, either get the 3600 and save $100 or get the 5600X for around $300.

That cooler is MASSIVE overkill for a 65W TDP CPU. Either go with a smaller 120mm tower, or at most a U14S.

Don't get 500gb anymore IMO, a 1TB SN550 is too good a value.

A 3080 is a waste if your monitor is 1440p60 IMO. Get a 3070 instead. If you had a 1440p165 that you wanted to run at 100% possible FPS at all time then or a 4k60 monitor then yeah, a 3080 would make sense.

That PSU is fine, but it's also kind of overkill for a 3600/5600X + 3070.

So maybe this? EDIT: I forgot to change the motherboard from the Mortar to the Bazooka

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($300.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($35.19 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card ($500.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($106.09 @ Amazon)
Total: $1289.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-09 15:10 EST-0500

e: It's not strictly necessary by any means, but 2x140mm front fans 1x120mm rear on a Meshify C gives great cooling for like $30 more.

Wow! Thank you so much!

So you recommend getting one of the RTX cards. I really hope they start to become available soon. Maybe the 3070 will be more easy to find than the 3080?

The Gadfly posted:

Any particular reason why you're looking at a micro atx, instead of a fullsize atx motherboard in a mid tower? If not, then I would recommend getting something like a Gigabyte b550 Aorus Pro AC or Asus TUF Gaming b550-Plus Wi-Fi for about the same price. This way, you can get more ports with basically no downside.

I'm in my 30's now and much less able/inclined to do the necessary research to make good decisions here, so, mea culpa - this was suggested to me, and I have no idea about the differences between this and/or other boards. Although I would agree that Wi-Fi capability would be pretty great!

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

mune posted:

I'm in my 30's now and much less able/inclined to do the necessary research to make good decisions here, so, mea culpa - this was suggested to me, and I have no idea about the differences between this and/or other boards. Although I would agree that Wi-Fi capability would be pretty great!

No worries. Sean10mm is right, the features of that board are almost identical to the larger b550 boards I mentioned minus some extra usb ports. The board you selected still has 6 available usb ports, so if that's enough for you then it's a solid choice. Your case supports that size board as well.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

sean10mm posted:

I just left their own case choice unchanged, I prefer solid black windowless monoliths. :ninja:

You probably don't even use RGB fans. What kind of tasteless monster are you!?!?!

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
Getting ready to pull the trigger on the remaining parts for my Ryzen 5600x build. I still am stuck when it comes to the motherboard despite keeping up with this thread - there are so many b550 options and I cannot tell them apart. Is there any consensus right now? I don't mind spending a bit more to ensure I have a solid board for the long-haul - I don't upgrade often. The couple I have been seeing a lot and are on my list at the moment:

Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Gigabyte?

Also, I have an old Cooler Master Hyper 212 that is currently on my current 2500k - is that better to reuse on this CPU or should I go with the included heatsink/fan?

Here is what I am looking at:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($78.98 @ Newegg - Is this speed ideal? I know nothing about RAM timings etc.)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card ($729.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($88.98 @ Newegg - It sounds like they are announcing something on Wednesday 11/11 so I may wait and see...)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $1292.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-09 18:35 EST-0500

--
In the US, mainly just using for games / web / Plex server. I am near a Microcenter.
Flexible budget - future proofing is valuable for me.
I need a new monitor - probably 1440p but I play most games on my connected 4k HDR tv. I like good image quality and 60fps for what that is worth. No idea when the 3080 will be available so I will likely just stick with my 1070 (or use the onboard GPU just to get by?) until I can purchase one.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Are there any motherboard brands to avoid these days? I seem to recall years ago that either MSI or Gigabyte were considered sub-optimal.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Pedialyte posted:

Getting ready to pull the trigger on the remaining parts for my Ryzen 5600x build. I still am stuck when it comes to the motherboard despite keeping up with this thread - there are so many b550 options and I cannot tell them apart. Is there any consensus right now? I don't mind spending a bit more to ensure I have a solid board for the long-haul - I don't upgrade often. The couple I have been seeing a lot and are on my list at the moment:

Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Gigabyte?

Also, I have an old Cooler Master Hyper 212 that is currently on my current 2500k - is that better to reuse on this CPU or should I go with the included heatsink/fan?

Here is what I am looking at:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($78.98 @ Newegg - Is this speed ideal? I know nothing about RAM timings etc.)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card ($729.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($88.98 @ Newegg - It sounds like they are announcing something on Wednesday 11/11 so I may wait and see...)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $1292.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-09 18:35 EST-0500

--
In the US, mainly just using for games / web / Plex server. I am near a Microcenter.
Flexible budget - future proofing is valuable for me.
I need a new monitor - probably 1440p but I play most games on my connected 4k HDR tv. I like good image quality and 60fps for what that is worth. No idea when the 3080 will be available so I will likely just stick with my 1070 (or use the onboard GPU just to get by?) until I can purchase one.

I just completed a ryzen 5800x build with the Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS and I’m completely happy with it so far

Also you only get onboard video if provided by the CPU (ie one of the ryzen chips ending in G) so you’re going to have to use the 1070

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Any clue if AMD is going to do the bootkit for 500 series mobos that might not have the latest bios?

Edit: Looks like they are! https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105

Don't know why it's an entirely separate page from the 3000 series processors

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 10, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bondematt posted:

Any clue if AMD is going to do the bootkit for 500 series mobos that might not have the latest bios?

Just note that they require you to ask your mobo OEM for a RMA swap, first. So you're still gonna be sitting for days either way waiting for someone to ship you something after you've already taken delivery of the CPU.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Do people have strong feelings about the Scythe Mugen Rev b vs. the Fuma 2?
They are both the same price in my region.
I'll likely be using them with the Ryzen 5600X.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

It looks like neither cooler would interfere with the ram slots, so the fuma 2 is likely the better option due to being a dual fan, dual tower cooler.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If the Ryzen 3600 us $220 right now and the 3600XT is $233, is there any reason to not go for the XT?

Also, is there a recommended mATX b550 motherboard? I'm never quite sure what I should be looking for with motherboards, aside from enough ports and USB slots.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 10, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you planning to buy a cpu cooler? The main difference with the 3600x is that it comes with a larger cooler and the performance is almost the same as the 3600.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, most likely. Trying to keep the noise down.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

DrDork posted:

Just note that they require you to ask your mobo OEM for a RMA swap, first. So you're still gonna be sitting for days either way waiting for someone to ship you something after you've already taken delivery of the CPU.

That's dumb! Hopefully by the time I actually find a 5600x, the mobos in stock will already be updated.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Good buddy of mine (who is technically a Goon, if only because I purchased an account for him :v: ) is building a PC for his wife to play Baldur's Gate 3 or whatever that is, along with maybe some other games. If I had to guess, open-world RPGs and MMOs would be her main use case.

What country are you in? United States
What are you using the system for? Gaming - target is 4k, 60hz
What's your budget? Monitor is already purchased, 4k60 for WFH but will also be used for gaming. Ideal budget is $1500-ish, but flexible.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? N/A
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Current monitor is 4k 60hz; no issues with adjusting settings as needed

His initial build, as faithfully as I could replicate:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($298.50 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($247.42 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($132.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PNY GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XLR8 Gaming Overclocked Edition Video Card ($549.94 @ Office Depot)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $1823.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-10 02:55 EST-0500

My initial thoughts, based on following this thread and being a dumbass:
0). Out the gate, this is a little more than he'd like to spend. I think there's plenty in here to trim, and/or hit roughly $1500 with maybe some better-value stuff. I think ultimately price is flexible if the value prop is convincing.
1). Not sure if Intel or AMD is the correct pick this go-around. He's always been an Intel guy, but is willing to consider AMD. Unfortunately the AMD product catalog is moon language to me, so I didn't know what a comparable/better/cheaper CPU would be.
2). Looking for a full-tower case; uninterested in RGB, since it'll be in a bedroom. I was going to recommend the Meshify S, but I see that classed as a mid-tower like the C, so I wasn't sure. Probably some room for savings here?
3). Probably room for savings in the motherboard as well. It looks like the only non-negotiable bell/whistle there was WiFi - that is a need.
4). He set up the SSDs to do the ol' "Boot Drive and Games Drive" but I suggested that's not really necessary anymore and he would likely be better off just getting a 2TB SSD for less money and having an expansion slot for later. He is open to this.
5). I'm really struggling for a GPU recommend. I WANT to say "wait for a 3070" but I don't know if that's even a reasonable recommendation at this point.

It appears that he is within a 30-minute drive (give or take) of a Microcenter, so that's possibly useful.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Zarin posted:

Good buddy of mine (who is technically a Goon, if only because I purchased an account for him :v: ) is building a PC for his wife to play Baldur's Gate 3 or whatever that is, along with maybe some other games. If I had to guess, open-world RPGs and MMOs would be her main use case.

What are you using the system for? Gaming - target is 4k, 60hz
What's your budget? Monitor is already purchased, 4k60 for WFH but will also be used for gaming. Ideal budget is $1500-ish, but flexible.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? N/A
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Current monitor is 4k 60hz; no issues with adjusting settings as needed

His initial build, as faithfully as I could replicate:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($298.50 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($247.42 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($132.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PNY GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XLR8 Gaming Overclocked Edition Video Card ($549.94 @ Office Depot)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $1823.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-10 02:55 EST-0500

My initial thoughts, based on following this thread and being a dumbass:
0). Out the gate, this is a little more than he'd like to spend. I think there's plenty in here to trim, and/or hit roughly $1500 with maybe some better-value stuff. I think ultimately price is flexible if the value prop is convincing.
1). Not sure if Intel or AMD is the correct pick this go-around. He's always been an Intel guy, but is willing to consider AMD. Unfortunately the AMD product catalog is moon language to me, so I didn't know what a comparable/better/cheaper CPU would be.
2). Looking for a full-tower case; uninterested in RGB, since it'll be in a bedroom. I was going to recommend the Meshify S, but I see that classed as a mid-tower like the C, so I wasn't sure. Probably some room for savings here?
3). Probably room for savings in the motherboard as well. It looks like the only non-negotiable bell/whistle there was WiFi - that is a need.
4). He set up the SSDs to do the ol' "Boot Drive and Games Drive" but I suggested that's not really necessary anymore and he would likely be better off just getting a 2TB SSD for less money and having an expansion slot for later. He is open to this.
5). I'm really struggling for a GPU recommend. I WANT to say "wait for a 3070" but I don't know if that's even a reasonable recommendation at this point.

It appears that he is within a 30-minute drive (give or take) of a Microcenter, so that's possibly useful.

I picked a 3070 with a price, so just get whatever you can:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($156.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PNY GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB Video Card ($549.94 @ Office Depot)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($112.19 @ Amazon)
Total: $1507.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-10 03:49 EST-0500

AMD is the much better value right now. The thread will probably recommend a 5600X, and so would I, except good luck with availability so why not save the money and put it towards a just-as-unlikely 3070! Samsung drives are overpriced and unnecessary unless you are moving huge files around constantly, so you can get the thread-favorite SN550, and 2TB worth, for less! If you're going full tower, I really like this Phanteks case, and you can remove the drive cages for better airflow. Add a few more fans, if you want, but with a huge noctua cooler and the included PWM fan hub, you can just tie the included fans to the CPU temp and have them idle unless temps go over 65 (they won't).

dimeat
Feb 28, 2003

Well let’s see it. I mean if it’s as big as you say, I’ll be your girlfriend. [gasps] We could go to prom together.
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. $1500
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Currently 1080p/60 but will upgrade to 1440p/144 soon (TM)

It's time for a new upgrade as my computer is from 2015 (i5-6600k/970)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $300.00)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.94 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $120.00)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($600.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $90.00)
Total: $1434.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-10 03:47 EST-0500

Already have the 5600x on hand as I got one right when it came up on Amazon.
3070 is a placeholder for whatever I can get my hands on first, 3070 or 6800.
MSI has an offer for steambucks so that'll be effectively a $30 savings off the motherboard
Planning on carrying over for the power supply that's still in warranty or is it time to get a new one?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

dimeat posted:

MSI has an offer for steambucks so that'll be effectively a $30 savings off the motherboard
Planning on carrying over for the power supply that's still in warranty or is it time to get a new one?

If you're spending $1300+ on new parts it seems silly, to me, not to add 8% and get a new PSU to protect it all. You'll likely want a 650W or 750W with that GPU, anyways. :shrug:

I always pair mine with a UPS, too...growing up with daily thunderstorms made me paranoid... :tinfoil::hf::science:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

AMD is the much better value right now. The thread will probably recommend a 5600X, and so would I, except good luck with availability so why not save the money and put it towards a just-as-unlikely 3070! Samsung drives are overpriced and unnecessary unless you are moving huge files around constantly, so you can get the thread-favorite SN550, and 2TB worth, for less! If you're going full tower, I really like this Phanteks case, and you can remove the drive cages for better airflow. Add a few more fans, if you want, but with a huge noctua cooler and the included PWM fan hub, you can just tie the included fans to the CPU temp and have them idle unless temps go over 65 (they won't).

drat, that looks great, thanks for that!

I've sent him the link to your post :)

Edit: I did notice that PC Part Picker has a warning about that CPU cooler possibly needing a separate adapter for the B550 motherboard; is that real or no?

Zarin fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 10, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Bondematt posted:

That's dumb! Hopefully by the time I actually find a 5600x, the mobos in stock will already be updated.

Does the mobo you want not have BIOS flashback?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Don't buy Samsung ssds.they are a ripoff

Don't buy a separate boot drive if all your drives are fast ssds anyway

For 4k60 you really want a 3080 if at all possible

e: A generic 1440p gaming PC suggestion:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($300.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($35.19 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($500.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($108.94 @ Office Depot)
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1200 PWM 64.92 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1200 PWM 64.92 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1308.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-10 08:10 EST-0500

The 3600 is still a good CPU vs. its low price, but the 5600X is a genuine upgrade across the board
For a quieter + more powerful air cooler the Noctua NH-U14S is baller as hell and will fit in the Meshify C, anything above that is kind of silly for a 5600X since it's only 65W TDP
You can spend more on a mobo if you want, but if you're not overclocking (and OCing AMD is a bit of a waste anyway) what you're gaining IRL is limited unless there's a specific feature (wifi/BT, more USB ports) a different board has vs this one
"Ideal" RAM is more like Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 2x16 GB but this won't make a big difference IRL vs the cost
If you want a more "premium" SSD get the SK Hynix P31 Gold, none of the PCIe 4.0 SSDs are worth it yet but if you are determined to burn the money get a 980 Pro or wait for the Rocket 4.0 Plus (not plain 4.0)
For 4k60 replace the 3070 with a 3080
650W is plenty at the 5600X/3070, there are lots of good 650W 80+Gold/Platinum PSUs to choose from so I just picked one that's in stock & priced decently now
You can drop the extra fans and the aftermarket cooler if you really want without losing much IRL except that it will be louder & run a bit hotter

There are lots of good cases, but the Meshify C had the price drop like $20 and has good airflow without an XTREME GAMER :catdrugs: look.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 10, 2020

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PNY GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB Video Card ($549.94 @ Office Depot)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($112.19 @ Amazon)

Also I can max all settings in Baldur’s Gate 3 and hit 60fps at 1080p with a 1650 super so if that’s the benchmark...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I have two 140mm intake fans on my meshify c, and a 120mm exhaust in back. I have 2 leftover 120mm fans. Any benefit putting them as exhaust on top? I get the feeling that may screw with airflow over the cpu cooler more than anything.

5800x with a d15s, msi 1070 with 2 games on the bottom..

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 10, 2020

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

I have two 140mm intake fans on my meshify c, and a 120mm exhaust in back. I have 2 leftover 120mm fans. Any benefit putting them as exhaust on top? I get the feeling that may screw with airflow over the cpu cooler more than anything.

5800x with a d15s, msi 1070 with 2 games on the bottom..

Top back (behind the cooler) isn't going to hurt, it's what I have. Putting it in front of the CPU cooler fans is likely just to cause turbulance though.

Also I moved my front fans down a little, to better cover under the GPU as the top fan like yours is probably a bit too high?

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see
Hi, would love some help with my system

Managed to snag a Gigabyte 3080, which is apparently 320mm long. I'm looking for a very quiet, non-flashy case which would fit this monster. The Fractal Design Define R5 or 7 look perfect, but I'm unsure if it will fit this monster GPU. Anyone have any experience with this?

Other than that I've tried to research components to the best of my ability, here's the list from the OP.

What country are you in? Germany
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Professional Creative (CAD / 3d rendering) and Gaming
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Whatever
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Looking at a large fast ultrawide soon, also for VR

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($204.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($148.66 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case ($123.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan ($24.90 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan ($24.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $812.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-10 09:24 EST-0500

Optikalusion fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 10, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Optikalusion posted:

Hi, would love some help with my system

Managed to snag a Gigabyte 3080, which is apparently 320mm long. I'm looking for a very quiet, non-flashy case which would fit this monster. The Fractal Design Define R5 or 7 look perfect, but I'm unsure if it will fit this monster GPU. Anyone have any experience with this?

From the case specs:

quote:

Maximum Video Card Length
310 mm / 12.205" With Drive Cages
440 mm / 17.323" Without Drive Cages

For future reference PC Part Picker cross references all dimensions and other compatibility issues and throws up warnings if there might be issues, and unless you force the filter off it straight up doesn't show physically incompatible components. You can see the details at the bottom of your part list.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see

Butterfly Valley posted:

From the case specs:

For future reference PC Part Picker cross references all dimensions and other compatibility issues and throws up warnings if there might be issues, and unless you force the filter off it straight up doesn't show physically incompatible components. You can see the details at the bottom of your part list.

ah I missed that. Thanks!
So looks like it will fit if I toss out the upper drive cage. That should be ok.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PCPartPicker Part List

All of this is true, except you really want a 3080 for 4k@60 (unless you plan to make compromises on settings in games).

If it were me on that budget, I’d buy one 1TB ssd (save the other for later), get 2x8gb 3600mhz ram, and put that towards the 3080. You can upgrade those later.

I agree on getting a couple extra fans.

dimeat posted:

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. $1500
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Currently 1080p/60 but will upgrade to 1440p/144 soon (TM)

It's time for a new upgrade as my computer is from 2015 (i5-6600k/970)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $300.00)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.94 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $120.00)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($600.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $90.00)
Total: $1434.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-10 03:47 EST-0500

You should be buying a bigger PSU than 550w. You should really get at least a 650w+ considering you’re buying one new. No reason to skimp on power supply requirements to save like $10.

Zarin posted:

Edit: I did notice that PC Part Picker has a warning about that CPU cooler possibly needing a separate adapter for the B550 motherboard; is that real or no?

Yeah. Reach out to noctua and they’ll send you one for free.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

Yeah. Reach out to noctua and they’ll send you one for free.

There's a 99.9% chance any noctua you buy will have the correct adapter already. The warning is very old and they never got rid of it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Related to the chromax heatsink cover I recommended (and I own 2 of the ones compatible for my DH-15) I ran across this.

https://twitter.com/Noctua_at/status/1027882570430734337

This gives me some fun ideas for the near-future.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
Now that the Zen 3 and 3070 have dropped, it's time to start looking at building again (thanks everyone who helped the first time around).

• What country are you in? USA
  • What are you using the system for? Scientific computing which is mostly CPU, not GPU, intensive. Some gaming
  • What's your budget? $1300 plus or minus a few hundred dollars. If there are good marginal returns to spending a bit more I’m comfortable with that, or if the performance returns compared to spending are poor near my budget point I'm obviously happy to spend less.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? R, Stan, and a small assortment of related languages and tools. I can confirm that what I do scales with the number of cores. Also, most of what I do lives in memory rather than on disk so 32 Gb is appealing. I think I’ll dual boot because scientific computing life is easier on Linux, but I haven't spent much time thinking about this yet.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440@60Hz, probably upgrading to 1440@144Hz at some point, but I’m not super concerned about running things on max settings.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($340 Open Box @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($85 with bundle @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($116.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card (~$550? Assuming I can find one
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ B&H)
Total: $861.95 (~1,412 with graphics card)

Because my work scales with cores, it seems like it’d be hard to beat the value on a 3900x. Looking at benchmarks and keeping up with the thread, it also seems like the 3070 is a good enough performance improvement versus other cards that it’s worth spending a little more to get it.

I’m a little unsure what to do about the limited availability of the graphics card though. For work sanity, I’d like to build the computer in the next month or two, but I could put off gaming for another 6 months or so.

Another small question I had is whether it's worth it to buy case fans or use whatever comes with the case.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

I'm currently pricing out a system on Cyberpower because it's the only way to get a 3080 without paying the scalper markup. The way their promos are working right now a 10850k is approximately the same price as a 5600x. Would it be worth going intel in this case since it has so many more cores? Gaming only and I'm lazy and don't like building new PCs.

Here are the two systems(buying ram separately), price is just short of $2k for both systems.

Just for fun priced out the AMD system on pcpartspicker, figure $350 for the cpu and the prebuilt premium is only about $200 - less than the scalper markup on ebay for a 3080. The other options is to downgrade to a 3070 for now since the price difference is a whopping $380. I could always pick up a 3080 later when it's actually available. That would reduce the prebuilt premium to basically nothing.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Deepcool CASTLE 360EX 64.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 UD ATX AM4 Motherboard ($152.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team Elite Plus 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PNY GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB Video Card ($759.94 @ Office Depot)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower Case ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Gigabyte P GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.52 @ Amazon)
Total: $1400.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-10 13:04 EST-0500

What do you guys think? One advantage of the Intel system is it'll ship much quicker due to the cpu being immediately available.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 10, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Zarin posted:

:cheers:

Y'all are reminding me how much fun it was to write buyer's guides. :sun:

It's been mentioned, but that is an old warning. Unless your cooler was boxed years ago, you will be fine. If that somehow happens, Noctua will send you the part for free.

To be clear, I just bought this exact cooler and it came with all of the correct parts. Just swapped out the bits the cooler sits on and kept the backplate that came with the mainboard. :shrug:

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
My niece is looking to build her first gaming PC and my brother-in-law has given her a ~$700 USD budget. My understanding is she'll be playing roblox, minecraft, Apec Legends, nothing too crazy. My assumption is that this will need to be @ 1080p to keep things under budget as she will need a monitor as well. I tried to get 100+hz monitor w/ variable refresh rate but I don't think I can squeeze that in. Anyways, here's my first stab:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: *MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.49 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card ($173.98 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC D480 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: LG 22MK430H-B 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $768.40
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-10 19:48 EST-0500

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Zarin posted:

Can always get a lower end EVGA card that's available now and use the step up program to go to a 3070 if they want the extra performance.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

SnatchRabbit posted:

My niece is looking to build her first gaming PC and my brother-in-law has given her a ~$700 USD budget. My understanding is she'll be playing roblox, minecraft, Apec Legends, nothing too crazy. My assumption is that this will need to be @ 1080p to keep things under budget as she will need a monitor as well. I tried to get 100+hz monitor w/ variable refresh rate but I don't think I can squeeze that in. Anyways, here's my first stab:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card ($173.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)

The biggest thing that jumps out is the RAM. You can get 16GB of 3200 for $65 for a $25 saving right there. Can also go with a 500GB WD SN550 for $54 and save $41. That'll give you an extra $66 to play around with or back to the $700 limit, although at a $700 budget I'd probably go with a 1080p 75 Hz as well. Any other peripherals that are needed?

Cyks fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

In addition to the above posters words, you should ask the monitor thread what a good budget monitor is that’s not a piece of poo poo.

And frankly on that budget I’d try to buy a lot more used stuff. Check out SA Mart and r/hardwareswap.

I’d also go to micro center if you’re close and check their open box stuff.