Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dracula Factory posted:

Only issue I could see with this is that Luffy is kinda short for a normal person and there are plenty of characters that are liked 5x his height at least, so they would have to normalize models a bit. I think a tag game might also fit with a potentially large roster and a strong camaraderie theme from the show.

Luffy is the average height for a man in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Luffy is the average height for a man in the US

I mean probably but all his enemies are giants of widely different giantness so they'd have to be shortened. It's fine though, one piece has always played it fast and loose with the human body so scrunching some people down is no big deal.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
you're kind of overstating it anyways, apart from like Big Mam or Kaido or other characters who are literally giants the variation isn't any worse than e.g. Chipp vs. Potemkin

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you're kind of overstating it anyways, apart from like Big Mam or Kaido or other characters who are literally giants the variation isn't any worse than e.g. Chipp vs. Potemkin

Yeah I looked at a chart and only like Katakuri is as big as I thought they were, so if they go for like an mvc size battlefield it would probably be just fine.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Countblanc posted:

i would openly weep if arcsys announced a one piece traditional fighting game

i wanted a team jump crossover fighter

yuusuke/ryo-san DHC glitch is real, and powerful

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did anyone post this? https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

Dreamcast hacking dudes have figured out how to get Atomiswave games running on Dreamcast via ODE, which means people will be able to play arcade-accurate versions of a bunch of SNK games, Hokuto no Ken, Rumble Fish and more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh some One Piece characters are weirdly tall. All the admirals are like 10 feet tall. You could easily fudge the heights a bit though, most one piece games do that with Katakuri already. Though Pirate Warriors 4 didn't and, uh

lol

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Endorph posted:

the reality is there's no reason to make a big complex fighting game when stuff like ninja storm sells just as well
Complexity's one thing but presentation also matters. SF-style games are better at showcasing the characters (because in ninja storm-style games the closer character likely has their back to you and the other is further away) and that can matter to a license holder.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i always read heights in one piece as largely being more like suggestions than something to take literally

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think of them the same way i think of the other boxers in punch-out. like if you compare their official heights while they might be taller than mac its not THAT drastic. but then you see them towering over you in the actual game. the exaggeration makes them feel more threatening and makes taking them down that much more satisfying

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Endorph posted:

Eh some One Piece characters are weirdly tall. All the admirals are like 10 feet tall. You could easily fudge the heights a bit though, most one piece games do that with Katakuri already. Though Pirate Warriors 4 didn't and, uh

lol

Pirate Warriors 4’s big selling point was getting to play as gigantic characters (notably Kaido and Big Mom) so of course it isn’t going to shrink Katakuri. Who should have more abs, I’m pretty sure he had a 16 or 18 pack in the art.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sharrrk posted:

i always read heights in one piece as largely being more like suggestions than something to take literally
oda basically has the opposite philosophy of toriyama. every main antagonist except cell is shorter than goku. in one piece every main antagonist except like, buggy, is way taller than luffy. how tall just varies as needed. katakuri is massive because its meant to be a fight luffy barely won and hes meant to be the biggest and baddest of all of big mom's commanders. blackbeard towers over luffy but is smaller than the admirals. that sort of thing. they're basically like the mechs in evangelion, where sometimes those things are like, only the size of an average building, and sometimes they're towering over skyscrapers.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
blackbeard like, doubled in height over the timeskip

also sentinel and hulk are sized down in marvel. its cool if ppl are the wrong height.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The best height is Buggy who's clearly just wearing a big set of drapes and using his powers to make himself look bigger so heels 40ft tall but had like normal people sized hands and head.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
FighterZ needs Arale

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Ghost Leviathan posted:

FighterZ needs Arale

and bulma in a mech suit or something but thats just me

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
Dumb question but I was trying to buy the season pass 4 for tekken (PS4) and I don't see it listed anywhere. Am I missing something because I thought it released today?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/novriltataki/status/1326110335699476480?s=20

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I think Harada still thinks what he has is rollback netcode which is still a big hurdle on its own in fixing anything

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

euphemism posted:

blackbeard like, doubled in height over the timeskip
Yeah, that was Gamagoori Ira levels of size change.

quote:

also sentinel and hulk are sized down in marvel. its cool if ppl are the wrong height.
Don't forget my boys Gold Lightan and PTX-40A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHcF5Orsjw

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
3 bar connection in Tekken is definitely still hot garbage but for me the amount of stable 4-5 bar connections have gone way up. I'm interested to see if someone can test those, although, from what I understand, there is a fairly big variable input delay within each bar connection type which is why, in the older netcode anyway, a 4 bar connection can feel worse than a 3 bar.

I just wish they would display the actual ping, jitter, and the changing input delay, but that's probably $5.99.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

KVeezy3 posted:

3 bar connection in Tekken is definitely still hot garbage but for me the amount of stable 4-5 bar connections have gone way up. I'm interested to see if someone can test those, although, from what I understand, there is a fairly big variable input delay within each bar connection type which is why, in the older netcode anyway, a 4 bar connection can feel worse than a 3 bar.

I just wish they would display the actual ping, jitter, and the changing input delay, but that's probably $5.99.

People already equate showing a wifi icon to racism, imagine the riots of introducing all that

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

sharrrk posted:

I figured it was like a Fahkumram situation where perspective is a big part of what's creating the perceived height difference.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

and bulma in a mech suit or something but thats just me

Bulma as a Tron Bonne function is my dream. Just replace the servbots with a million Jacos/galactic patrolmen.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 10, 2020

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Gutcruncher posted:

People already equate showing a wifi icon to racism, imagine the riots of introducing all that

Wi-Fi users refusing to play with other Wi-Fi users.. it's poetry.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

FighterZ needs Arale

Come on, it has to be done.

MR. SATAN

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I think Mr. Satan and Bulma will both make it in cause who else are they gonna put there? Also Jaco, he'll be in eventually.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

I figured it was like a Fahkumram situation where perspective is a big part of what's creating the perceived height difference.

Bulma as a Tron Bonne function is my dream. Just replace the servbots with a million Jacos/galactic patrolmen.

I think the heights are mostly to convey power levels and such, like instead of everyone glowing and yelling his opponents just get taller and taller as the series goes on

I think a 3v3 tag version of the jump series would sell really well, and you could include a pretty huge variety of characters for all play styles and nostalgia properties

In the true spirit of versus games you could even just use the same dragon ball models for those characters

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dracula Factory posted:

I think Mr. Satan and Bulma will both make it in cause who else are they gonna put there? Also Jaco, he'll be in eventually.

i'm still holding out for Monster Carrot

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

FanaticalMilk posted:

that and throwing capsules everywhere for attacks

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dracula Factory posted:

I think Mr. Satan and Bulma will both make it in cause who else are they gonna put there?
Goku, presumably.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Garlic Jr

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

raditz

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I think the heights are mostly to convey power levels and such, like instead of everyone glowing and yelling his opponents just get taller and taller as the series goes on

I think a 3v3 tag version of the jump series would sell really well, and you could include a pretty huge variety of characters for all play styles and nostalgia properties

In the true spirit of versus games you could even just use the same dragon ball models for those characters

I've heard many people pine for a shonen jump versus game (theres probably some mobile crap that technically fits the description) and I think it would be a slam dunk saleswise if it was a halfway decent game. I also think Marvel screwed up big by having their only MCU game be marvel infinite, they should have dropped capcom's dead weight and should have made a simpler marvel-only fighter. It seems like marvel's worldwide popularity can't get any higher than it did during infinity war times and they missed a good opportunity.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Dracula Factory posted:

I've heard many people pine for a shonen jump versus game (theres probably some mobile crap that technically fits the description) and I think it would be a slam dunk saleswise if it was a halfway decent game. I also think Marvel screwed up big by having their only MCU game be marvel infinite, they should have dropped capcom's dead weight and should have made a simpler marvel-only fighter. It seems like marvel's worldwide popularity can't get any higher than it did during infinity war times and they missed a good opportunity.

i would bet that people wanted to make more marvel fighters, but disney is too big of a pain to work with for it.

a shounen jump vs game would be cool, but the problem is everyone wants the main characters and the fighting style of all these characters really isnt diverse enough to supply a fighting game.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i dont agree because it wouldn't just be battle shonen guys, you'd have romance, sports and comedy characters too

just out of 80s "classic" jump you could have captain tsubasa soccer ball projectile rushdown, hibari could play like parasoul calling in yakuza, rei from kimengumi could work like jack-o or zappa calling in the kimengumi gang, etc

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Jump Ultimate Stars was an awesome game and it combined all sorts of genres, even stuff like romance and comedy. It helped that it also contained a ton of non-fighter assists so they could cram more stuff in.

It’s a real shame that they couldn’t possibly do anything like that on modern consoles, since it was so reliant on using both DS screens the way it did.

https://youtu.be/enoYzJYzF8I

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

euphemism posted:

i would bet that people wanted to make more marvel fighters, but disney is too big of a pain to work with for it.

a shounen jump vs game would be cool, but the problem is everyone wants the main characters and the fighting style of all these characters really isnt diverse enough to supply a fighting game.

This is probably the unfortunate truth, Disney is way too big and powerful to make the types of niche games we like. Hell, they made the avengers looter shooter game and it looks like the blandest thing ever and they weren't even willing to put the actor's faces in the game(I don't know how much that would cost but I know disney could afford it). I dunno, it just seems to me like the world's biggest movie franchise should have come with a popular, quality videogame to maximize that brand synergy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even in the more recent jump fighters there's a decent amount of variety. jump force is a terrible game but yugi and kaiba are playable. imagine if arcsys got their hands on those two in a traditional fighting game context.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Dracula Factory posted:

This is probably the unfortunate truth, Disney is way too big and powerful to make the types of niche games we like. Hell, they made the avengers looter shooter game and it looks like the blandest thing ever and they weren't even willing to put the actor's faces in the game(I don't know how much that would cost but I know disney could afford it). I dunno, it just seems to me like the world's biggest movie franchise should have come with a popular, quality videogame to maximize that brand synergy.

Simply put, when Capcom made MVC3 they set out to make a sequel to MVC2.

When Capcom made MVCI, they set out to make the advertising vehicle that Disney told them to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

even in the more recent jump fighters there's a decent amount of variety. jump force is a terrible game but yugi and kaiba are playable. imagine if arcsys got their hands on those two in a traditional fighting game context.

That's really what I want, another ArcSys game where they put half as much love into each character as they do in Guilty Gear (and I assume BlazBlue). I'm hoping with all my heart that Strive will be good because it's just so drat pretty, but that's what I was hoping for in DBFZ and walked away disappointed.